HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Paterson fired as head coach of Adirondack Phantoms

Old
05-23-2012, 12:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
wow so they fire the one guy who most people thought was a top notch guy at developing young players and getting em ready for the next level. After what a season and a half? What a joke.
so I guess wins and losses are more important then developing players . I look at that roster in Adirondack and its no wonder they missed the playoffs back to back years. no scoring depth, a weak defensive minded defensive group and crap in goal.
good job Holmgren.

EDIT: i should add Paterson has done a really good job with whatever talent that club has down there getting them ready for the next level. Wellwood, Bourdon, Gus.
Holmgren just didnt give Patterson awhole lot to work with down there. That isnt Paterson's fault. That is all on Holmgren to give him pieces to work with.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Ummm... why? Also, kind of curious, was he better with defense or offense?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:49 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Every time I see this thread title there's a split second at first where I read it as, "Joe Paterno fired...."

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:42 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Good move time to start fresh the farm team was the ***** this year and years pass and need to start putting some serious talent down there as well not like someone said undrafted guys or guys that will never play in the big leagues.A real coach who knows alittle hockey would be a start lets see who the next coach.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Since Comcast Spectacor doesn't own the Phantoms anymore it could very well be this was a decision made by the current ownership group (the Brooks Group) rather than the Flyers organization.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Since Comcast Spectacor doesn't own the Phantoms anymore it could very well be this was a decision made by the current ownership group (the Brooks Group) rather than the Flyers organization.
The Flyers have 100% control over the coaching staff. The Brooks have no say over hockey operations.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:28 AM
SilkyMitts

maybe they are giving him the flyer assistant coach job if berube leaves

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
maybe they are giving him the flyer assistant coach job if berube leaves
You don't fire a guy to promote him.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You don't fire a guy to promote him.
In the Gov't they do...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Good move time to start fresh the farm team was the ***** this year and years pass and need to start putting some serious talent down there as well not like someone said undrafted guys or guys that will never play in the big leagues.A real coach who knows alittle hockey would be a start lets see who the next coach.
The thing is though, Paterson got undrafted guys to perform and be able to call up and not look out of place. The past three years, this past year Paterson had similar talent as the first two and out-performed the last two coaches. This past season we actually had some good callups compared to the past. This is because Paterson got them ready.

I don't know if you're last line was about Paterson, but Paterson knows a lot about hockey... dont know how you can say he only knows alittle about hockey.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The thing is though, Paterson got undrafted guys to perform and be able to call up and not look out of place. The past three years, this past year Paterson had similar talent as the first two and out-performed the last two coaches. This past season we actually had some good callups compared to the past. This is because Paterson got them ready.

I don't know if you're last line was about Paterson, but Paterson knows a lot about hockey... dont know how you can say he only knows alittle about hockey.
Truth.

He was better than Gilbert. Not to mention when he was hired the team went onto a winning record just missing the playoffs. He coached a similar system to Lavi's which made the transition from the AHL to NHL easier for many. He was also known to be a great teacher for the younger players. Who was soft spoken and wouldn't yell and scream for no reason.

I really think this firing may hurt the Phantoms.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

exactly. That is the primary function of a developmental league like the AHL. to get guys ready for the next level and we have seen more of that in the last couple of years in awhile. He got kids like Wellwood,Gus,Bourdon ect ready for the next level. remember before Paterson? It was ugly.
I just dont get it at all. Patterson is a good hockey guy whos best trait is working with young players. baffling. thats all this was.
Not sure what direction Holmgren goes in. I will once again tho just like 2 years ago throw Scott Pellerin's name into the ring of the next coach.
He is an assistant in Manchester, and has worked with the youngest team in the AHL for years. look at the young players currently in LA. Voynov,Martinez,King,Nolan. He has got them ready for this level along with head coach Mark Morris. He is ready IMO

Old
05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Remember before Patterson? Half the team were fist fighting each other.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Remember before Patterson? Half the team were fist fighting each other.
Its was bad. Players skipping practice, players fighting each other. Thinking about it, I dont think Paterson would be an NHL coach (I was saying that I would like him after Lavy), but he reminds me of Stevens a bit in regards to young players in the AHL. They respected him, and the fans there loved him. This wont go over well.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Its was bad. Players skipping practice, players fighting each other. Thinking about it, I dont think Paterson would be an NHL coach (I was saying that I would like him after Lavy), but he reminds me of Stevens a bit in regards to young players in the AHL. They respected him, and the fans there loved him. This wont go over well.
I think his time to become an NHL coach has passed.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yea, I dont think his style would work in the NHL anyway though. He is pretty good at developing young players, but I dont know if he can handle countering other coaches, etc etc.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Why do you say that? Bruce Boudreau is 5 years older than he is and got his first shot at the NHL after 15 years of coaching in the minors.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I can't believe they fired him. He was doing a great job with the crap he was given. Damn, I feel allot less comfortable with the team this year without him

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Q and A with Paterson:

www.poststar.com/app/sports/phantoms/

Quote:
Did you see this coming? When did you find out?

"No, I didn’t (see it coming.) I was a little bit in shock at first. I found out yesterday."

Were you signed for next year?

"I have a contract for next year."

Did the Flyers give you an explanation?

"We never made the playoffs, so that’s I guess unfortunate, but I appreciate the opportunity I got to coach in my hometown and the support from the fans."

Was it playoffs or bust?

"I’m not really totally sure, but I think that’s a big factor."

What about the players you sent up to the Flyers who contributed to their playoff run. Is their pride in that and did you think it helped your cause to stay?

"I think that’s always part of the job is to make sure players are ready to go up when they’re called upon, and I think when you look at the depth we’ve gone through, I’d say from maybe Eric Wellwood last year, that the Flyers now have a lot more prospects that are going to be NHL players or have an opportunity to play and go up there and fill different roles. So yeah, it’s rewarding to help be a part of that."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Broad Street Elite

If they based his being fired strictly on Wins-Losses, then they're simply out of their minds. Imagine coaching a team where your best players are constantly at risk of being taken from you and you're being provided whatever muck is left over. We never draft near the top, so our AHL team will rarely have premiere talent for any period of time.

This has to be considered a significant misstep by the organization unless there is something behind closed doors that we're just not keen to.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

We're really going to judge our AHL coach based on W/L?

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm wondering if Holmgren and Paddock are looking at a guy like Scott Kleinendorst as a replacement. I know he recently left the Binghamton Sens group after there was some issues as to whether he would be promoted to Ottawa or not. Could be interesting to see if that's the case.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

We're really going to judge our AHL coach based on W/L?
I speculated it earlier. That has to be the only logical reason they fired him. I really thought the Flyers were heading in the right direction with our AHL affiliate in how they view whats important. its a developmental league. period. If you win enough to get into the playoffs its a bonus. I think Paterson was given a raw deal, not only was he given a team that was limited talent and depth wise, he was constantly having to shuffle the roster probably more then he wanted to with all the injury callups.
Sure it would have been nice to get into the playoffs even if it meant getting crushed by Norfolk or St.Johns, but the deck was stacked against him this season IMO.
Holmgren got this one wrong.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:37 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I speculated it earlier. That has to be the only logical reason they fired him. I really thought the Flyers were heading in the right direction with our AHL affiliate in how they view whats important. its a developmental league. period. If you win enough to get into the playoffs its a bonus. I think Paterson was given a raw deal, not only was he given a team that was limited talent and depth wise, he was constantly having to shuffle the roster probably more then he wanted to with all the injury callups.
Sure it would have been nice to get into the playoffs even if it meant getting crushed by Norfolk or St.Johns, but the deck was stacked against him this season IMO.
Holmgren got this one wrong.
I agree until the last statement.

On the surface, it seems Holmgren got this wrong. Paterson did a spectacular job with what he was given. He reunited the locker room and had plenty of players NHL-ready this season.

Frankly, the fact that he missed the postseason may have had more to do with just how good of a job he did. The Flyers didn't have to go out and get vets because the prospects were so well-prepared in the AHL for the jump to the bigs.

This move is so far out in left field that the only thing to do is speculate that something else is amiss.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I agree until the last statement.

On the surface, it seems Holmgren got this wrong. Paterson did a spectacular job with what he was given. He reunited the locker room and had plenty of players NHL-ready this season.

Frankly, the fact that he missed the postseason may have had more to do with just how good of a job he did. The Flyers didn't have to go out and get vets because the prospects were so well-prepared in the AHL for the jump to the bigs.

This move is so far out in left field that the only thing to do is speculate that something else is amiss.
IMO the "reason" the Flyers game Paterson is bogus and there is more to the story that we just don't know. Winning at the AHL level, especially when you don't own the franchise, is secondary. The primary purpose of the AHL is to develop players and to have them ready for when the NHL club needs to call them up, which Paterson most certainly did.