HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 5

Old
05-24-2012, 01:55 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
even after going down 3-0 in the first 10 mins, the hockey Gods smiled and gave us a Prust goal, A lucky bounce off Callahan's skate, and one that Fatty put in himself.

After all that, you maintain pressure, raise everyone's hopes, then completely **** yourself in the last 4 minutes of the game?

I don't even...the Rangers are 10-9 in the playoffs. They are playing their worst hockey of the year statistically, I don't remember any point during the year where our record was this ******. Win Lose Win Lose Win Lose Lose Win..
Thus is the trials and tribulations of a young team. You have to learn how to walk before learning how to run. Last season's regular season compared to this years was walking to running. This season's post season is walking to next season's running?

Chicago lost in the WCF before winning the Cup with their young core (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook). Pittsburgh lost in the Cup finals before winning it all with their young core (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang). Same with Boston. Same with Philly when they had Richards and Carter even though they didn't win the Cup, they are close to right now on LA.

This is the furthest the Rangers core has ever gone (Hank, Cally, Dubi, McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Anisimov, Dubi, Stepan, etc..) It's not hard to think that this team has a bright future going forward and that this season has been a great learning experience for the players on the roster.

Sometimes you have to lose to learn what it takes to win big games. Hopefully it comes quickly after this game and they take it and win game 6 and 7. If not, they take it and learn from it and go at it again next season with so much big game experience on the team.

Fatigue took affect tonight around the 9 minute mark of the 3rd. After taking all that energy over 45+ minutes of play, they looked A LOT slower at that point in time. When you dig yourself a hole, it takes that much more to come back and it can take a lot out of the team even if they make it as far as tying the game.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Thus is the trials and tribulations of a young team. You have to learn how to walk before learning how to run. Last season's regular season compared to this years was walking to running. This season's post season is walking to next season's running?

Chicago lost in the WCF before winning the Cup with their young core (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook). Pittsburgh lost in the Cup finals before winning it all with their young core (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang). Same with Boston. Same with Philly when they had Richards and Carter even though they didn't win the Cup, they are close to right now on LA.

This is the furthest the Rangers core has ever gone (Hank, Cally, Dubi, McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Anisimov, Dubi, Stepan, etc..) It's not hard to think that this team has a bright future going forward and that this season has been a great learning experience for the players on the roster.

Sometimes you have to lose to learn what it takes to win big games. Hopefully it comes quickly after this game and they take it and win game 6 and 7. If not, they take it and learn from it and go at it again next season with so much big game experience on the team.

Fatigue took affect tonight around the 9 minute mark of the 3rd. After taking all that energy over 45+ minutes of play, they looked A LOT slower at that point in time. When you dig yourself a hole, it takes that much more to come back and it can take a lot out of the team even if they make it as far as tying the game.
You take the cake, most reasonable post of the night. I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:48 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:

great post...agree on all points. Its obviously just frustrating because there is never a guarantee you can make it this far next season. Getting to the conference finals is difficult, and its hurts if you don't take advantage of the opportunity when it comes. With that said, I am optimistic that this young team has a bright future and can hopefully become an elite consistent NHL contender.

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:53 AM
skymachine

Quote:

Sums up my thoughts. Great post.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

just watched the replay after getting home from eye surgery, so I got one good eye the next few days...

It seems like we were afraid to shot at the goal, we played the "hot potato" game every chance we got in theire zone...

could marty be getting in our heads or were everyone having an off night ??

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:41 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
'94 was a far better team who had a chance of winning twice in a row. We CAN'T (ya ya ya except for Ottawa).

Seriously. We are not advancing. We dominated the whole second period and when we tied? Let up and gave up. No killer ****ing instinct. Its absolutely pathetic, and MADDENING to watch.
It doesnt matter how great the the 1994 team was. The Devils in 1994 dominated us in games 4 and 5. Game 5 was a disaster.

Hell, they dominated us for 40 minutes in Game 6.

Not a single Rangers fan in 1994 felt good after seeing the Devils waltz into the garden and crush them. We all wrote them off and the season was over, in our minds.

The Devils are no powerhouse. They can easily lose two straight games to us.

It all depends on Lundqvist.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Ail
k.

Went to bed mad, woke up mad.

I miss the January Rangers.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:19 AM
darko

I beleive!!!

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:20 AM
darko

Quote:

Excellent post.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:39 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Okay so....

NY win
OTT win
NY win
OTT win
OTT win
NY win
NY win

needs to repeat this.
Quote:

Good post. I would also like to add:

We are still far too inconsistent on the PP. IMO fixing that has to be a priority this offseason. One of the keys is to drop Torts grinding dump and chase 5 on 5 strategy and play a different strategic game with the man advantage. Puck control, winning face offs, offensive creativeness and a better puck distribution to open up clear scoring chances need to be implemented. We seldom apply pressure or puck control that is worthy of an NHL tems PP. Whether that is attained by the current coaching staff (not likely) with the current player troop or by adding a few new pieces I will leave unsaid, but this is a VITAL flaw that we need to fix if we are to be parading down Broadway in the future. Adding another coach to the staff to really work with this might be an allternative way to go???

I think we need to add one more piece up front and maybe one more on defense. Sauers injury hurt us a lot more than we think in many ways. If he can return, which seems unlikely right now, to past performance form, then that opens up possibilities on the D, eventuallyinvolving a trade to acquire one young fwd with offensive skills. And signing Schultz would be another added bonus on the asset side of our already strong almost exclusively homegrown D.

Parise, Ryan and Nash are all for different reasons some crackhouse pipe dreams IMO. I would resign Prust, Biron, Zuke, Stralman, MDZ and Mitchell. Feds is a ?. As is Bickell. Trying to ge a couple of veteran pieces at next trade deadline, while sacrificing a top prospect or pick, may be the way to go next year. John Scott was a terrible trade - did Sather and Torts have any kind of a discussion about this at all? Seems not... Signing a FA vet might be a good idea on a 1 (2) year deal. Whitney or Smyth (Selanne = drool) come to mind as realistic possibilities. Trading Gabby is not really a good option IMO, unless we get serious overpayment. Which I seriously doubt.

All of our current players will benefit greatly from this years playoff run regardless of the outcome of Game 6 and 7 (?)...and an eventual SC finals. We are a year or two ahead of schedule, which is all good. We have some young talent that might be key future contributors within the organization now. Thinking Fasth, Miller, Erixon, McIllraith and possibly Yogan, MSC and Lindberg.

Time to look after a long term replacement plan in net. I do not mean this at all I regards to last nights game, but this important issue needs to start being looked at. We get maybe 5 more top years with Hank - then what? Maybe at the draft this year to start with...

Go ahead and win the next two games first LGR!!!!

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:42 AM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
In 1994, I turned down a ticket to game 6 because I couldn't stand the thought of seeing the Rangers lose. All I missed seeing was perhaps the greatest game in the history of the National Hockey League.

I don't know if Friday's game will rise to that level but I expect a huge effort and I wish I could go and scream my lungs out for this team. I've still got a boatload of faith.
I had a ticket to Game 6. Buddy and me got tickets for that round. He took his girlfriend to Game 3. I went to Game 4.

I gave the ticket to Game 6 away. I had been to about 8 Devil games that season and the Devils won every single game. I did not want to be around that jerky fanbase when the Rangers lost.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Good post. I would also like to add:

We are still far too inconsistent on the PP. IMO fixing that has to be a priority this offseason. One of the keys is to drop Torts grinding dump and chase 5 on 5 strategy and play a different strategic game with the man advantage. Puck control, winning face offs, offensive creativeness and a better puck distribution to open up clear scoring chances need to be implemented. We seldom apply pressure or puck control that is worthy of an NHL tems PP. Whether that is attained by the current coaching staff (not likely) with the current player troop or by adding a few new pieces I will leave unsaid, but this is a VITAL flaw that we need to fix if we are to be parading down Broadway in the future.

I think we need to add one more piece up front and maybe one more on defense. Sauers injury hurt us a lot more than we think in many ways. If he can return, which seems unlikely right now, to past performance form, then that opens up possibilities on the D, eventuallyinvolving a trade to acquire one young fwd with offensive skills. And signing Schultz would be another added bonus on the asset side of our already strong almost exclusively homegrown D.

Parise, Ryan and Nash are all for different reasons some crackhouse pipe dreams IMO. I would resign Prust, Biron, Zuke, Stralman, MDZ and Mitchell. Feds is a ?. As is Bickell. Trying to ge a couple of veteran pieces at next trade deadline, while sacrificing a top prospect or pick, may be the way to go next year. John Scott was a terrible trade - did Sather and Torts have any kind of a discussion about this at all? Seems not... Signing a FA vet might be a good idea on a 1 (2) year deal. Whitney or Smyth (Selanne = drool) come to mind as realistic possibilities. Trading Gabby is not really a good option IMO, unless we get serious overpayment. Which I seriously doubt.

All of our current players will benefit greatly from this years playoff run regardless of the outcome of Game 6 and 7 (?)...and an eventual SC finals. We are a year or two ahead of schedule, which is all good. We have some young talent that might be key future contributors within the organization now. Thinking Fasth, Miller, Erixon, McIllraith and possibly Yogan, MSC and Lindberg.

Time to look after a long term replacement plan in net. I do not mean this at all I regards to last nights game, but this important issue needs to start being looked at. We get maybe 5 more top years with Hank - then what? Maybe at the draft this year to start with...

Go ahead and win the next two games first LGR!!!!
I agree that the strategy is essentially flawed. But the problem with trying to turn this team into puck possession team would mean a massive facelift to our forward line up.

Cally would probably need to be demoted to a 3rd line player because he doesn't really have the necessary skillsets that compliment that system on a second line.

A guy like Boyle would have to be moved because he can't play that style at all. Not to mention certain guys like Hagelin, Feds, Rupp, or even Gabs who aren't that great at playmaking. You would probably need to move about 4 guys in our lineup I would say. Not sure if that is the game plan or not.

Personally, I think the Rangers are going to try to inject the team with either more speed or more size. I don't see them changing their system dramatically.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 05-24-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:07 AM
beastly115

How many times has Hagelin failed to backcheck that has resulted in a goal? Seriously? It seems like every time this little ******* lazily skates back and doesn't pick up his man we get scored on.

Never thought I'd say this but put Mitchell in for Hagelin. I'm sick of his lazy defensive play.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Same date in 1994 the Rangers lost 5 at the Garden. The Rangers were terrible in game 4 in 1994 at Jersey. They were terrible in game 4 in this series. The Rangers were up 2-1 and were then trailing the series 3-2. Messier made his guarantee on this date in 1994. Game 6 is on the same day as Messier guarantee game. Game 7 is on the same day as Matteau,Matteau. The only difference is the days of the week. Game 6 and Game 7 in 1994 were on a Wednesday and Friday.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I'm more pissed off

now than I was 8 hours ago. Couldn't ****en sleep last night and if i seem a little butt sore, it's probably cause i am. I'm going to sound like a Debbie fan now from Games 1 thru 4 but mother ********en devils did not deserve that game as Rangers played easily their best game of the entire playoffs and yet somehow, some ********en way hank let the team down. Rangers dominated and yet they lose. I'm so ********en pissed off still. I couldn't talk on way home from game I was so ****en angry and still am...probably worse.

Here's the rub, Rangers are still winning the series in 7 but the sting from losing that kind of game doesn't go away too quickly. I'll probably be fine by end of day. In the meantime I think I'll stay away from the Debbie forum and not read all the sarcastic smart ass remarks as it will piss me off further.. Alot of passion goes into this for us and losses like last night though I've seen plenty of the same kind of losses in my 40 years, the sting of losing like the way we did doesn't go away very easily.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM
HAPPY HOUR

If you think the Rangers are done. Yer nutz.

The poor starts (whats the 1st period stats? 11-4 against?) are just baffling to me because thats all that we are hearing that they are talking about.

Change the pre-game routine or something cause this team comes out of the gate like dog ****.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Geez, it's a 7 game series, and last night our best player was lousy for the first time. The rest of the team was awesome, outplayed the devils for most of the game.

I'm optimistic about Friday.

like I was 18 yrs ago.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:41 AM
NikC

this series may ruin somebody's weekend.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:49 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
this series may ruin somebody's weekend.
A lot of people's weekend.

Today I am blue tomorrow there will be hope.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stick a fork in em. They're well done. In fact, overcooked.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardodm View Post
Empty net never works. Must be the most overrated sports play ever.
Hey uhhhhhhh did you miss game 5 of the Caps series?

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
bmw2004

Sometimes I feel that I am getting more upset over their loses than Rangers players themselves. I hope that miracle will happen and they turn it around.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
knicksfan89

guys think of 94 won't you, they came back from 3-2 down in the ECF final then, so why can't they do it now?

knicksfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:15 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
Lose this series and Torts is going to be on a hotseat next year.
At minimum the Rangers:

Third round appearance with one of the youngest teams in the league.

51 wins.

Jack Adams Nominee.

And you think he will be on the hot seat?

Please explain.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
guys think of 94 won't you, they came back from 3-2 down in the ECF final then, so why can't they do it now?
the Big question I have is this......

Who will our Messier be? We don't have the offensive power of that team. Who will be our Leetch, Kovalev, Zubov, Graves?

It will have to be Hank again it seems.......

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote