Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Prospect/St. John's Thread - Part 3

Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 PM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Congrats to the Ice Caps and their great fans on a fantastic season!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Looking forward to Eddie Pasquale joining the big club

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Looking forward to Eddie Pasquale joining the big club
It'll be at least a couple of years. He is nowhere near as consistant as he needs to be to make the step up to the NHL. If Mason wants to move on, the Jets will find somebody else to backup Pavs next year, Pasquale can get 45-55 starts as the true starter down there next year with Chris Carrozzi or Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel backing him up.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

very good year.. hope to see some of the boys make the big club next year

Diggyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:14 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It'll be at least a couple of years. He is nowhere near as consistant as he needs to be to make the step up to the NHL. If Mason wants to move on, the Jets will find somebody else to backup Pavs next year, Pasquale can get 45-55 starts as the true starter down there next year with Chris Carrozzi or Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel backing him up.
+1 4ch

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Aerial

Aye, the last thing we want to do is rush a goalie after one great year -- never ends up well. Let him get at least a couple of years as a full-time AHL starter under his belt, it's not like we need him with the Jets and he'd get so few starts up here with Pavs ALSO being young and developing, it wouldn't be doing him any favours.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:16 AM
kento19
@kento19

Unreal atmosphere last night. Even after a bad loss, everybody were on their feet for the final three and a half minutes of regulation. Eddie, Eddie, Eddie is still repating in my head at work today. Mile One last night was one of the loudest places i've ever been at the end of the game. The players obviously really appreciate the support. I'm lucky enough to have had two IceCaps players living next to me all season long and they said they are amazed by the fans during the playoffs. At some points they had to be yelling at each other on the bench just to speak to one another. They also said they both really love the city. It sucks how the season ended, but the fans definitely made them feel a lot better about it at the end of the game. Hockey is back in St. John's, and it's definitely one hell of a place to play. Congrats to True North, the Jets, and of course the IceCaps on a very successful inaugural season. The city of St. John's is already excited for the road to the 2013 Calder cup.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Unreal atmosphere last night. Even after a bad loss, everybody were on their feet for the final three and a half minutes of regulation. Eddie, Eddie, Eddie is still repating in my head at work today. Mile One last night was one of the loudest places i've ever been at the end of the game. The players obviously really appreciate the support. I'm lucky enough to have had two IceCaps players living next to me all season long and they said they are amazed by the fans during the playoffs. At some points they had to be yelling at each other on the bench just to speak to one another. They also said they both really love the city. It sucks how the season ended, but the fans definitely made them feel a lot better about it at the end of the game. Hockey is back in St. John's, and it's definitely one hell of a place to play. Congrats to True North, the Jets, and of course the IceCaps on a very successful inaugural season. The city of St. John's is already excited for the road to the 2013 Calder cup.
great post............so strange how our two cities have mirrored each other this season. Loud passionate fan bases that are thrilled to have professional hockey back. It would have been nice if we would have made the playoffs but I enjoyed getting wrapped up in the Ice Caps playoff run this year. Very pleased TNSE made the deal happen to bring hockey back to St. John's.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Agreed, he still needs more seasoning. Don't forget, Pasquale is just a year removed from splitting time in the 'A' and ECHL, and didn't even play half the games in St. J's this season. Don't get me wrong, I think Pasquale is going to be in the NHL someday. Reminds me alot of Cory Schneider actually, his size and mobility, and how well he keeps square to the play in heavy traffic. Even their styles are fairly similar.

I really doubt that Pettersson-Wentzel will come over to NA next season, I imagine he's probably happier with his gig in the SEL than he would be as an AHL backup. Carozzi should be in the ECHL next season, he still hasn't proven he can be a consistent starter there. My guess is they'll go with Pasquale and a non-prospect like Aebischer.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Aerial

Quote:
At some points they had to be yelling at each other on the bench just to speak to one another. They also said they both really love the city. It sucks how the season ended, but the fans definitely made them feel a lot better about it at the end of the game.
Fans in St. John's were just awesome -- I'd have to think the AHL is pretty thrilled too. Watching some of those other rinks, it's easy to see that St. John's fans were the envy of the league all year. I'm sure it'll settle in after a few seasons (same with in Winnipeg) but no doubt Mile One will be rocking for years to come.

So hats off to you IceCaps fans, we've had lots of fun keeping our honeymoon alive with the Calder run too. There really is no better place IMO for our prospects to be learning how to be professionals, and I'm super pumped with building a connection between our fanbases.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Agreed, he still needs more seasoning. Don't forget, Pasquale is just a year removed from splitting time in the 'A' and ECHL, and didn't even play half the games in St. J's this season. Don't get me wrong, I think Pasquale is going to be in the NHL someday. Reminds me alot of Cory Schneider actually, his size and mobility, and how well he keeps square to the play in heavy traffic. Even their styles are fairly similar.

I really doubt that Pettersson-Wentzel will come over to NA next season, I imagine he's probably happier with his gig in the SEL than he would be as an AHL backup. Carozzi should be in the ECHL next season, he still hasn't proven he can be a consistent starter there. My guess is they'll go with Pasquale and a non-prospect like Aebischer.
17-6-4 with a .922svp and 2.27gaa with 3 shutouts while grinding out 29 games against Kings prospect JF Berube with the Kings ECHL affliate who are owned by Kings (therefore can control the Coach and get their guys playing time). That's pretty impressive in my book, I think he will get a real chance to earn that backup spot. He is on the last year of his ELC next year, if he fails to make the jump to AHL next year he is done as a prospect with the Jets, bank on that.

As for FPW, I agree that he likely will not come over, but I really really hope that the Jets can at least get him under contract. He is a solid prospect, had a very good season as a backup in the SEL as only a 19 year old. They can tell him they will loan him back to SEL for another year, but Jets lose his rights if he is not signed by June 1.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:31 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Great season back in the AHL for St. Johns, hope to see guys like Klingberg, Gregoire, Postma and Redmond excel for the Ice Caps next season, wonder if Scheff can make the jump from the OHL to the AHL next season.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
17-6-4 with a .922svp and 2.27gaa with 3 shutouts while grinding out 29 games against Kings prospect JF Berube with the Kings ECHL affliate who are owned by Kings (therefore can control the Coach and get their guys playing time). That's pretty impressive in my book, I think he will get a real chance to earn that backup spot. He is on the last year of his ELC next year, if he fails to make the jump to AHL next year he is done as a prospect with the Jets, bank on that.
I guess the most concerning thing for me with Carrozzi is that he wasn't able to win a job with ECHL Colorado, and had to be re-assigned to Ontario (where did appear to play quite well, like you said). Good point though re: his contract status, he will need to prove he belongs as an AHL goalie if he wants to stick around beyond his ELC.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Great season back in the AHL for St. Johns, hope to see guys like Klingberg, Gregoire, Postma and Redmond excel for the Ice Caps next season, wonder if Scheff can make the jump from the OHL to the AHL next season.
not old enough

jets or colts for scheif

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
not old enough

jets or colts for scheif
or bust!
JK I like Sheif

Old
05-23-2012, 12:08 PM
IceCapsFanNL

I'm interested to see how the draft and free agent signings/ which RFA's TNSE make offers to affect the line up next season. Me thinks there will be a lot of changes. For starters which vets will TNSE want to keep??

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I'm interested to see how the draft and free agent signings/ which RFA's TNSE make offers to affect the line up next season. Me thinks there will be a lot of changes. For starters which vets will TNSE want to keep??
I think you're almost guaranteed a drop in vets... It will interesting which ones they choose. This year was wonky with all the callups/injuries. Depends on a few variables:
Mach, Postma, Kulda, Cormier all have good shots in making the Jets.
Sol, O'Dell, Albert, Redmond and Telegin are probably all additions to the Icecaps for fulltime gigs (to varying degree of probability on the individual)... plus others.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I think you're almost guaranteed a drop in vets... It will interesting which ones they choose. This year was wonky with all the callups/injuries. Depends on a few variables:
Sol, O'Dell, Albert, Redmond and Telegin are probably all additions to the Icecaps for fulltime gigs (to varying degree of probability on the individual)... plus others.
Telegin will be the player I am watching closest next season on St John's. Will he be able to make the step up in competition and prove he is ready for Winnipeg the following season. I would love to see him earn his way onto the top 6 of the Ice Caps next season.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
There will be changes on the Defence for sure with O'Neill,Sol,Melchiori,Chiarot fighting for spots.

Ramsey and Desantis are AHL free agents.Festerling and Kulda are RFA,Postma will be up in WPG,Redmond will be back for sure.Meech is an UFA

Up front will be intresting cause there will be changes made.Wonder who's out?

Last edited by Canadienjet: 05-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

So who do we all think will be on the icecaps next year for forwards and defence

Old
05-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

i really hope we see telegin rip it up in the ahl next.. its nice to see a fourth round pick play well enough to keep up with sheifele, well IMO he outplayed him every stretch of the way untill he was injured. is anyone ok with drafting pearson at #9 this year? we seem to like barrie

Diggyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggyjets View Post
is anyone ok with drafting pearson at #9 this year? we seem to like barrie

I'm sure Holden would love to talk to you about that possibility.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
I'm sure Holden would love to talk to you about that possibility.
Pearson at 39 (38 prob from jersey forfeit) is not too bad. There will likely be players I like better there, but it's not a terrible pick. Pearson at 9 and I will be furious. That would be a terrible terrible pick at that slot. Pearson does not have the upside to be that high, not compared to guys like faksa, trouba, reinhart, teravainen potentially sitting there.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
trouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I am rather sad this evening, but I have to put things into perspective. The last time I listened to Brian Rogers broadcast a game where St. John's got knocked out of the Calder Cup playoffs, we were losing our franchise. One of the saddest days of my life.

Anyhoo,

top five moments of the year for me.

Saturday Nov 26 6-3 loss to Toronto.

Seeing a Toronto AHL team in our barn brought to the surface all the ill will that I still felt against MLSE, and in particular JFJ and was the first step to my switch from a Toronto fan to a Winnipeg fan.

Friday Oct 14 4 - 0 loss to Hamilton

opening night, need I say more?

Friday Mar 9 6-1 win over Hershey

As far as I am concerned this was the point at which the Caps were at their best. They beat the Bears with Holtby in net. This was the first time the fans really got on the other goalie. who would have thought that two weeks later we would have 10 regulars out with injuries and call ups. Caps were never as good after this.

Saturday May 12 3-2 win over WBS Penguins in game seven.

Caps hang on to win game seven!!

Friday Apr 27 4-3 overtime win over Syracuse in game four to advance!!

Caps were down 2-0 after one, 3-2 after two and Meech wins in overtime!!

Anyway,

lets hope both of our teams have a better year, and thanks to TNSE from all of us
Like all those.thou i toss in the 4 games vs Worcester next to playoffs the building was loud.The 6-4 loss to Wilkes Barrie was a great game and the so win vs Hershey

trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Couple of players stop into my work frequently talked to one yesterday he said "of all the places he played none ment more to him then here".

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...-next-season/1

Nice article.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote