HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers may not be in this position again for many, many years

Old
05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
toastbag

vCash: 500
If the Rangers play game 6 like they played last night, they will win. As long as Hank isn't as bad as he was last night. So let's not think about the future just yet.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:25 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
Pitt, Boston, Philly, & Ottawa are also young teams with better high end talent!
Exactly none of the teams you mentioned is better on the back end.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
You could take this thread to mean that there won't be an opportunity again for a while where BOS, PIT, VAN, CHI, etc. teams that give the Rangers a lot of trouble bow out unusually early.
Winner winner chicken dinner. Also Pittsburgh didn't have Crosby, Philly didn't have Pronger, the Devils improved. We would have had an opportunity to win the cup by beating the 8, 7, 6, and 8 seeds. Wasted opportunity. Sick to my stomach.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastbag View Post
If the Rangers play game 6 like they played last night, they will win. As long as Hank isn't as bad as he was last night. So let's not think about the future just yet.
They have been terrible in Newark and the Devils have been great. No reason to think that it'll be a repeat of last night. They're done.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:43 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Do we still have a game on Friday?
Nope, the series has all but been decided. Devils advanced. The Kings will also win the Stanley Cup in 2 games. Being as that would put them at 10-0 on the road in the playoffs, there won't be a need to play the remainder of the series

LET'S GO RANGERS!!! Had to get the sarcasm out of my system with the OP's gloom and doom post.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:44 AM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Uhhh....Why?

IF they lose the series, they still have a very young team and all key players returning next season.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:46 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
we dominated boston this season (didn't we sweep series or come close?). pits is the only one of those teams that worried me tbh.
9-3 against the Bruins the last 3 years.

Pitt gives us major problems

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
martyisgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Thats the tough part about this. When the Mets lost in 2006, I knew it would be many, many years before they'd get that far again (and of course I was right). And I have the same feeling right now with this Rangers team.

I'd also equate it with meeting a special woman, and losing her. You think "the next one is right around the corner" and then years AND YEARS go by and you just can't meet anyone like that again.

Richards is no spring chicken and there are some older guys on this team. Lundqvist is getting older, too. This may be his last shot at the cup.
I can't believe it. I was so sure the Rangers were heading to the finals. But then again I was also so sure the Mets in 2006 were headed to the World Series. The similar feelings right now are staggering. It feels like 2006 (Mets) all over again. Losing out on a trip to the finals (World Series) to a bitter rival, only to watch helplessly as they win (yet another) title.

I just feel like shooting myself right now. I suffer from depression (real depression) and this is just making it 10 times worse.
uh, what? isn't he like 30? and arguably the best in the league.

martyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Reijo R

I kind of see what some of the "downers" are trying to say. The chips fell the right way (didn't have to play PITT or BOS) for this team, and it would be a shame if they didn't take advantage of it. They were able to squeak by two inferior opponents. This team avoided the injury bug for the most part this season, too. Maybe next year, injuries pile up and they finish 5th in the East, and wind up playing a better team on the road and get bounced in 1st round. You never know!

There's reason for optimism here, but anyone who thinks a Cup is on the way with this current roster is fooling themselves, unless they do it THIS year. There's a TON of work to be done here in order for that to happen, and that probably means dealing some of our favorite youngsters (hello, Stepan!) to acquire real size and talent, capable of taking this team to the next level. Richards looks slow on the ice and is only getting older. Gaborik has been a no-show 90% of the time and Hank is now on the wrong side of thirty. The future isn't as bright as some of you make it out to be.

All this being said, this series is NOT over yet. Hang in there.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:56 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Pitt gives us major problems
Hmmmmm. Aggressive forechecking team... They play a style similar to that of our rivals from NJ, except they have the two of the best centers in the world on that team.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Uhhh....Why?

IF they lose the series, they still have a very young team and all key players returning next season.
Because every team in the already very tight division is getting better and they'll never get another chance to play the lowest seeds in the league. They can be better personnel-wise but end up with a worse seed, get a worse draw and lose in the first round.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Because every team in the already very tight division is getting better and they'll never get another chance to play the lowest seeds in the league. They can be better personnel-wise but end up with a worse seed, get a worse draw and lose in the first round.
Now you're getting silly. How are the aging Devils or defenseless Flyers getting any better next year? The Devils will likely lose Parise and Brodeur and unless the Flyers are going to acquire Ryan Suter and Jon Quick, I don't see them improving much, either.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
toastbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
They have been terrible in Newark and the Devils have been great. No reason to think that it'll be a repeat of last night. They're done.
Until last night you could easily say that they were terrible at the Garden this series and look how they played last night. They're definitely not done!

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, they lost

waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I am crying

Waaahhhhhhhhhhhh woe is me

I see this ridiculous mentality in Jets fans. I think half of them, if they burn the roof of their mouth on pizza they will never eat it again.

<x> 4th Youngest Team in the league
<x> First extended playoff run
<x> Ridiculous thread
<x> GTFO
<x> Will be a Cup Contender for 5 + Years

Miamipuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
jskramer83

One thing a lot of people seem to be missing is, yes we had an incredible year this year, but we were also able to do it with many of our Key Players having terrible seasons point wise;

Richards:

Year GM G A P
10 - 11: 82 28 49 77
11 - 12: 82 25 41 66

Dubinsky:
GM G A P
10 - 11: 77 24 30 54
11 - 12: 77 10 24 34

Anisimov:
GM G A P
10 - 11: 82 18 26 44
11 - 12: 77 16 20 36

Staal:
GM G A P
10 - 11: 77 7 22 29
11 - 12: 46 2 3 5

It really seemed as if Callahan Anisimov Dubinsky had a lot of chemistry last night, lets say that is our 3rd line next year we have a lot to look forward too!

Lets also not forget on Philly and Pittsburgh, alot of their vets had Career years

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Pizza

.....and no one had us going this far this year. So much for prognostications.

....and this year ain't done. Just yet.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Thunderhead

vCash: 613
nah , the rangers will be great in the future , once the beloved stepan is fully developed .

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
OverTheCap

I wonder if this is how fans of the 2008 Penguins, 2009 Blackhawks, and 2010 Bruins felt. As someone mentioned in a terrific post in the post-game thread, a team usually has to go on a deep run and experience heartbreak before they win the cup.

Next year's team has the potential to be better than they are this year. The young players will be more experienced, a full season of Staal (and Kreider), and hopefully players like Richards and Dubi (if still on the team) will bounce back. This playoff run may be instrumental in helping the team get to the next level if they can't pull it off this year.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Baby Punisher

There is nothing guranteed when it comes to sports. yes we have a young team, yes we have some guys in the system. But Seasons are long & injuries happen, losing happens, locker rooms fall apart.

We were so lucky this year with injuries, & when we did have injuries we were able to plug them with call ups that worked expectionaly well. We were very lucky.

An example, I remember after we lost to Philly in 97' I thought we would easily be back next season to compete for a cup & we wound up missing the playoffs for the next 7 years.

Take nothing for granted.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Dangleberry

I think many of you are interpreting the original post the wrong way. With Vancouver and Pittsburgh out early, we have a decent shot at winning the cup. Who knows what the seeding will be like next year? We may seed 4/5 and end up playing Pittsburgh in the first round, you never know. No point in worrying about it though, take it 1 game at a time.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

This is why I dont post here anymore,guys like this.I was never a mega poster but I love to talk Rangers Hockey.This Forum loves to talk depression.How can u call yourself a Rangers fan and make this statement? Does he not know how young we are? Hank has at least 7 more top flight years in him,plus we still have game 6 which we will win.Can anyone recommend a Rangers board that doesnt have 90 percent non sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Thats the tough part about this. When the Mets lost in 2006, I knew it would be many, many years before they'd get that far again (and of course I was right). And I have the same feeling right now with this Rangers team.

I'd also equate it with meeting a special woman, and losing her. You think "the next one is right around the corner" and then years AND YEARS go by and you just can't meet anyone like that again.

Richards is no spring chicken and there are some older guys on this team. Lundqvist is getting older, too. This may be his last shot at the cup.

I can't believe it. I was so sure the Rangers were heading to the finals. But then again I was also so sure the Mets in 2006 were headed to the World Series. The similar feelings right now are staggering. It feels like 2006 (Mets) all over again. Losing out on a trip to the finals (World Series) to a bitter rival, only to watch helplessly as they win (yet another) title.

I just feel like shooting myself right now. I suffer from depression (real depression) and this is just making it 10 times worse.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:50 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Now you're getting silly. How are the aging Devils or defenseless Flyers getting any better next year? The Devils will likely lose Parise and Brodeur and unless the Flyers are going to acquire Ryan Suter and Jon Quick, I don't see them improving much, either.
The Devils didn't have Zajac play most of the season. They didn't have Zidlicky play most of the season. Henrique will improve most likely. Pronger will come back. The Pens with all their injuries were a point behind us in the standings and absolutely schooled us in the regular season.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
corduroyg

the problem is the nhl playoffs are such a crapshoot. in the nba you can pretty much guarantee the top 2 or 3 seeds are gonna make the conference finals. that aint the case in hockey. so while we should finish near the top of the standings the next couple years, that doesnt mean we're gonna get this far again. we could have easily lost in the 1st round this year after almost winning the presidents trophy. could be another 15 years before we get to 6 wins away from the cup, gotta take advantage of this opportunity. the boys better not be in "it was a great year and we'll be better next year" mode.

corduroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, they lost

waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I am crying

Waaahhhhhhhhhhhh woe is me

I see this ridiculous mentality in Jets fans. I think half of them, if they burn the roof of their mouth on pizza they will never eat it again.

<x> 4th Youngest Team in the league
<x> First extended playoff run
<x> Ridiculous thread
<x> GTFO
<x> Will be a Cup Contender for 5 + Years
The Rangers are the Jets to the Devils' Giants. Real teams don't celebrate conference final losses. The Jets do and it seems like Rangers fans do too.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
I'm pretty negative after big losses.

But we will be in this position again. Really really soon. And we'll be beating teams in 6 and 5 games instead of 7.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote