HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
That was awesome, a terrific run.

I'll Have Another is truly triple crown material. He has the breeding, and is a push button type, which is required to win the Belmont.
Hopefully this didn't take alot out of him.

Bodemeister is a talented horse for sure. Although we won't be seeing him for a while as he was exhausted pulling up.
Good catch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1081489

Quote:
Bodemeister has had enough.

After the horse was caught by I’ll Have Another in the stretch of both the Kentucky Derby and Saturday’s Preakness Stakes, trainer Bob Baffert revealed that not only had he decided to give Bodemeister a break and pass on the June 9 Belmont Stakes, but that this was the trainer’s plan all along.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
Rousing Sermon adds a bit of intrigue for longshot wagering in the Belmont. He is 2-for-2 under Bejarano, 0-for-8 otherwise with an undecided for the Belmont.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Rousing_Sermon

The New York Daily News has a quick summary and homemade odds with possible entries...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.1081978

Quote:
I’ll Have Another
Trainer: D. O’Neill
Jockey: M. Gutierrez
Last Start: Preakness 1-neck
Comment: Looks to become racing’s first Triple Crown winner in 34 years.
Bossert odds: 7-5

Union Rags
Trainer: M. Matz
Jockey: Undecided
Last Start: Kentucky Derby 7, 7˝
Comment: Will likely get a switch to a more aggressive rider out of the gate.
Bossert odds: 9-2

Old
05-21-2012, 04:29 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I really have to take I'll Have Another t owin the Belmont. He's showing late speed. Not only is he catching and passing, but he's steadily pulling away as they hit the line. I noticed this at the Derby, and it played out perfectly at the Preakness.

I'd pay attention to whomever Edgar Prado and John Velasquez are on though...

Old
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Johnny V. replaces Leparoux on top Union Rags for the Belmont.

Mark Valeski could be a no-go for the Belmont.

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-2012...er-possibility

Quote:
Mark Valeski, who won the Peter Pan Stakes on May 12 and has been considered a top contender for the Belmont Stakes on June 9, is now “doubtful” for the final leg of the Triple Crown, trainer Larry Jones said Monday, citing the colt’s lack of energy since the Peter Pan.

“Mark’s actually doing OK, but he got a little tired after the race,” Jones said Monday from Churchill Downs, where Mark Valeski was sent after the Peter Pan. “He doesn’t have the same energy level. It’s looking like the Belmont is more and more doubtful. He’s not showing a lot of sparkle.

“I’m not saying he’s 100 percent out. But we may end up bypassing the Belmont and just waiting for the Dwyer.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-22-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Wouldn't shock me to see Kent Desormeaux creep his way back into the Belmont on probably a horse that doesn't belong in the race.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:01 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I wonder if Baffert really did plan to break Bodemeister after the Preakness, or if it's because of I'll Have Another beating him twice..... Perhaps trying to avoid an Affirmed/Alydar situation.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
I wonder if Baffert really did plan to break Bodemeister after the Preakness, or if it's because of I'll Have Another beating him twice..... Perhaps trying to avoid an Affirmed/Alydar situation.
IMO, Bodemeister, like Shackleford last year, had his best chance in the Preakness; however, he didn't deliver and much was because of the way I'll Have Another has run. The distance of the Belmont probably plays into Baffert's decision. If Bode skipped the Preakness, but sent to New York, perhaps we'd see a Funny Cide/Empire Maker redux but all-in-all I think Baffert make the correct choice(s) with Bode.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
IMO, Bodemeister, like Shackleford last year, had his best chance in the Preakness; however, he didn't deliver and much was because of the way I'll Have Another has run. The distance of the Belmont probably plays into Baffert's decision. If Bode skipped the Preakness, but sent to New York, perhaps we'd see a Funny Cide/Empire Maker redux but all-in-all I think Baffert make the correct choice(s) with Bode.
Agreed. One thing people forget is the BLISTERING pace the Derby was run in this year. I wanna say the time was only 3 seconds off the track record. Bodemeister clearly faltered down the stretch at Churchill. It wasn't as apparant at Pimlico simply because I'll Have Another kicked at the same time, caught him at the same time, just had less room to pull away.

I'm looking more at a Smarty Jones/Birdstone scenario, with Union Rags being Birdstone.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Valrico Gold

Gr1 Metropolitan Mile

Always one of my favorite races, this years Metropolitan is strong as usual.

$750,000 Metropolitan Handicap (Race 10, 5:47 p.m. EDT), 3-year-Olds and Up, One Mile
PP., Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. To Honor and Serve (KY), J Lezcano, 120, W I Mott 3-1
2. Shackleford (KY), J R Velazquez, 119, D L Romans 4-1
3. Caleb's Posse (KY), R Maragh, 121, D K Von Hemel 8-5
4. Saginaw (NY), D Cohen, 115, D Jacobson 10-1
5. Caixa Eletronica (KY), J Castellano, 117, T A Pletcher 15-1
6. Jackson Bend (FL), C S Nakatani, 121, N P Zito 3-1

There are several excellent milers in the field, including the Breeders Cup Mile winner, Caleb's Posse.
But I love To Honor and Serve's chances. 2 for 2 on the 'big sandy' (Belmont Park).

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-26-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed odds on Shackleford (4-4).
Old
05-26-2012, 07:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ I'm going to agree with THAS.

--------------------------------------------------

For the Belmont, like father like son:

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-26-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Rail Trip is back running today. Back with Ron Ellis in Cali, instead of being ruined by Dick Dutrow.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Gate to wire for Shackleford in the Met, nearly caught by Caleb's Posse at the wire. Amazing race.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Gate to wire for Shackleford in the Met, nearly caught by Caleb's Posse at the wire. Amazing race.
What an animal he is.
He will make a terrific sire with his speed and stamina combination.

My pick Honor and Serve had every chance.....3rd best....although I would never have bet him as the 8/5 favorite. Shackleford at 3-1 was a steal.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Was watching local news here and they mentioned as an aside that I'll Have Another was almost run over by a runaway horse. Good to see he's alright

Old
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Was watching local news here and they mentioned as an aside that I'll Have Another was almost run over by a runaway horse. Good to see he's alright
Better than stepping on a safety pin (Bid reference).

Edit: The DRF has an article about this, too:

http://www.drf.com/news/triple-crown...cular-bid-1979

Quote:
Triple Crown near-misses: Spectacular Bid, 1979
Which is why it remains farfetched to this day to believe that the penetration of a safety pin into the frog of a hoof on the morning of the race may have compromised such a winning machine, as was suggested later by Spectacular Bid’s trainer, Bud Delp. Anyway, it was impossible to test Delp’s thesis, even in retrospect, since his 19-year-old jockey, Ronnie Franklin, insisted on sending Spectacular Bid running freely down the Belmont backstretch after longshot Gallant Best before fading to third behind victorious Coastal.

Depending on when you asked, Delp had a variety of answers for the defeat. In the immediate aftermath of the race, as reported by William Leggett in Sports Illustrated, Delp said, “Ronnie rode him good. . . . The horse just ran out of gas.”

Delp was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2002 and died in 2006, but not before he trotted out a few more versions of what happened in the 1979 Belmont to the colt he liked to call “the best horse who ever looked through a bridle.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
DaaaaB's

Was at Woodbine on Saturday. Won $112 on the first race but was down over $400 by the end of the day. Almost won a triactor on the last race but the horse I had 3rd finished 5th instead. Fun day despite losing more money than I wanted too.

Old
06-06-2012, 04:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...t-stakes-draw/

Post time is 6:40 p.m. EDT.
  1. Street Life (Jose Lezcano, 12-1);
  2. Unstoppable U (Junior Alvarado, 30-1);
  3. Union Rags (John Velazquez, 6-1);
  4. Atigun (Julien Leparoux, 30-1);
  5. Dullahan (Javier Castellano, 5-1);
  6. Ravelo's Boy (Alex Solis, 50-1);
  7. Five Sixteen (Rosie Napravnik, 50-1);
  8. Guyana Star Dweej (Kent Desormeaux, 50-1);
  9. Paynter (Mike Smith, 8-1);
  10. Optimizer (Corey Nakatani, 20-1);
  11. I'll Have Another (Mario Gutierrez, 4-5);
  12. My Adonis (Ramon Dominguez, 20-1).

Old
06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...t-stakes-draw/

Post time is 6:40 p.m. EDT.
  1. Street Life (Jose Lezcano, 12-1);
  2. Unstoppable U (Junior Alvarado, 30-1);
  3. Union Rags (John Velazquez, 6-1);
  4. Atigun (Julien Leparoux, 30-1);
  5. Dullahan (Javier Castellano, 5-1);
  6. Ravelo's Boy (Alex Solis, 50-1);
  7. Five Sixteen (Rosie Napravnik, 50-1);
  8. Guyana Star Dweej (Kent Desormeaux, 50-1);
  9. Paynter (Mike Smith, 8-1);
  10. Optimizer (Corey Nakatani, 20-1);
  11. I'll Have Another (Mario Gutierrez, 4-5);
  12. My Adonis (Ramon Dominguez, 20-1).
I'll Have Another is better than these, but the question is, how much does he have left?
He had better be ready for another gutsy effort as:
Paynter (Baffert) will try to steal this on the front off an impressive wire victory at Pimlico.
Street Life is lightly raced and fresh. He comes off a good effort in the Peter Pan over the track.
Union Rags has been freshened and comes back to the scene of his best race.

This is often a weird race with unpredictable results. Post position doesn't mean a whole lot. What's critical is the patience of the rider. Is M Gutierrez up to the challenge? If I got 2-1, I'd take that challenge. I see Union Rags taking a lot of money.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm actually pleased I'll Have Another drew outside.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Damn, 4-5 opening line??

Union Rags is still that trip handicappers dream, he's had nothing but trouble, opening at 6-1, that's a nice price that I'm sure is going to climb with the amount of money that's gonna get dumped on I'll Have Another. That'll outweigh the trippers I'm sure.

Dullahan is another one I'm gonna think about long and hard, both him and Union Rags showed ability to close which is all there is in the Belmont unless I'll Have Another is the next Secretariat. What I'm puzzled about is why Went the Day Well passed, he had he best closing chance in the Derby I thought, the Preakness wasn't ever going to be his race.

I want I'll Have Another to win, just to see it, but I also want to call the correct place and show horses and make some coin. It's gonna be an interesting day on Saturday, it's my pop's 60th, so we're going out to Monmouth Park, but then my wife and I are going to the Finals game....so I have to leave the track before the running of the Belmont, hoping I'll be at my house which is only a few miles from Oceanport for the post of that.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Was watching the reruns of the Derby and Preakness on NBC Sports Net tonight. Good watch

Old
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/jdemling/statuses/211079845852102656
Quote:
Another flub by horse racing...I'll Have Another trainer Doug O'Neill has left Belmont and won't meet with media the day before the race.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here's the NY Post's color chart for the race with staff picks, too:

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/...0608212536.jpg

Fountaine has reviewed past Belmont losers who won the first two legs; today the focus is on Big Brown:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...k5s5LUwtgWWtHP

Quote:
Why he lost the Belmont: Seemingly unsinkable at 1-5, Big Brown was engulfed by a “Perfect Storm” of trouble. Was it the quarter-crack he suffered after the Preakness? Being taken off steroids? Acting up in the detention barn? The heat and humidity? His bad break from the gate? The rear shoe that came loose in the race? A poor ride by Desormeaux? We’ll never know the real reason why Big Brown was eased on the far turn in the worst performance ever by a horse going for the Triple Crown.
From Spectacular Bid to Big Brown, freaky things have happened. Yesterday, he mentioned but rejected the notion that Bailey/Johnny V./Solis conspired against Smarty Jones. The writer limited the blame to Smarty wanting to run and Elliott not being able to rein him at the right time.

The unexpected has become the norm. If I'll Have Another wins, everything will have to go right. Castellano could be a factor in this race.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-08-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: better wording
Old
06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Here's the NY Post's color chart for the race with staff picks, too:

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/...0608212536.jpg

Fountaine has reviewed past Belmont losers who won the first two legs; today the focus is on Big Brown:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...k5s5LUwtgWWtHP

From Spectacular Bid to Big Brown, freaky things have happened. Yesterday, he mentioned but rejected the notion that Bailey/Johnny V./Solis conspired against Smarty Jones and limited the blame to Smarty wanting to run and Elliott not being able to rein him at the right time.

The unexpected has become the norm. If I'll Have Another wins, everything will have to go right. Castellano could be a factor in this race.
Always enjoy the NY Post handicappers analysis. The best in NY.

No question the riders, led by Jerry Bailey, ganged up on Smarty Jones.
But that's making excuses for the lack of patience by Smarty's rider Stewart Elliott.

With Affirmed (1978), Steve Cauthen was mature far beyond his years. He was the dominant rider in NY at the time, and displayed great patience in waiting for Alydar to come to him.
Jean Cruguet (Seattle Slew, 1977) was on a superior animal. No questions about that.
Ron Turcotte (Secretariat, 1973) was also on a superior animal against a small field.

No such combinations for tomorrow's race.
And another problem for I'll Have Another. The forecast indicates a good chance of a wet track tomorrow. This may have a significant impact on the race (as usual).

My belief is that Dullahan (Castellano) is getting far too much backing from the handicappers.
I could be wrong, but slow closers usually fair poorly in the Belmont Stakes.

The picks for a track without standing water.
Union Rags
I'll Have Another
Street Life
Paynter

For a track with standing water.
Union Rags
Paynter
I'll Have Another
Street Life

Old
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
Always enjoy the NY Post handicappers analysis. The best in NY.

No question the riders, led by Jerry Bailey, ganged up on Smarty Jones.
But that's making excuses for the lack of patience by Smarty's rider Stewart Elliott.

With Affirmed (1978), Steve Cauthen was mature far beyond his years. He was the dominant rider in NY at the time, and displayed great patience in waiting for Alydar to come to him.
Jean Cruguet (Seattle Slew, 1977) was on a superior animal. No questions about that.
Ron Turcotte (Secretariat, 1973) was also on a superior animal against a small field.

No such combinations for tomorrow's race.
And another problem for I'll Have Another. The forecast indicates a good chance of a wet track tomorrow. This may have a significant impact on the race (as usual).

My belief is that Dullahan (Castellano) is getting far too much backing from the handicappers.
I could be wrong, but slow closers usually fair poorly in the Belmont Stakes.

The picks for a track without standing water.
Union Rags
I'll Have Another
Street Life
Paynter

For a track with standing water.
Union Rags
Paynter
I'll Have Another
Street Life
I think what happens is we've been accustomed to something going wrong in these rare instances when a horse can win the Triple Crown so the next step is to figure out who - besides the favorite - will win and why. It is easy to finger Dullahan as the culprit especially because Castellano is (at last look) the top rider in the nation based on 2012 stats and he is on his own turf. But, of course, the talent level of these animals is much superior.

Union Rags could be a play, and like Dullahan gets a new jock (Johnny V.) I wouldn't be surprised if My Adonis on the outside has a good ride but that is a ballsy pick to select him the winner.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-08-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: "accustomed" typo
Closed Thread