HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dwight King's next contract

Old
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
stonedhenge

vCash: 500
Dwight King's next contract

He is RFA at the end of the season. He is making $592,667 now. What will Lombardi offer him? He definately deserves a raise, but how much?

Maybe somewhere around 1y/1M, 2y/1.3M per, 3y/1.5M per?

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I expect an Alec Martinez type deal, 2 years at around $800,000- $900,000 per season cap hit. King has basically no leverage right now, I'm not even sure if he has arbitration rights. The CBA gurus can ellaborate on that, but if his situation is similar to Martinez, then DL holds the cards. King also only has 47 career NHl games to his credit, so hard to say he deserves a huge raise really.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
He is RFA at the end of the season. He is making $592,667 now. What will Lombardi offer him? He definately deserves a raise, but how much?

I could see this happening.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Yep. No arbitration rights for King. Will probably see something similar to Martinez, who got a 2 year deal averaging $737,500.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I am hoping 2-3 years 1.3-1.5

That way he hits his 2nd...REAL contract at about 26 years old, which I think is a great time to re-analyze his worth.

The Kid has so much potential. I almost thing he makes Penner expendable during the next offseason as a 2nd line power forward capable of at least 20-20 in the near future.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Chris Kontos (I doubt he will). For those of you not familiar with the obscure name of Chris Kontos, here is all you need to know about him:
http://lakingslegends.blogspot.com/2...is-kontos.html

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Let's hope he doesn't pull a Chris Kontos (I doubt he will). For those of you not familiar with the obscure name of Chris Kontos, here is all you need to know about him:
Very different circumstances there.

Kontos did not come up in the Kings system. He was a free agent signed by the Kings after almost 7 years of failing to break in with both the Rangers or the Pens, and also had a season in Finland AND Switzerland. A lot more miles under the belt.

He was also about 5-6 years older than Dwight King at the time, and he wasn't on his entry level deal, which Dwight is.

Even the thought of him pulling something like Chris Kontos, (who had 9 goals in that playoff year of 88-89 and then basically did nothing after) should make you laugh.

But hey, maybe he can channel an inner Chris Kontos to a degree...maybe like the 92-93 Kontos who had 51 points in 63 games with the Lightning. I hope he pulls THAT kind of Kontos

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Very different circumstances there.

Kontos did not come up in the Kings system. He was a free agent signed by the Kings after almost 7 years of failing to break in with both the Rangers or the Pens, and also had a season in Finland AND Switzerland. A lot more miles under the belt.

He was also about 5-6 years older than Dwight King at the time, and he wasn't on his entry level deal, which Dwight is.

Even the thought of him pulling something like Chris Kontos, (who had 9 goals in that playoff year of 88-89 and then basically did nothing after) should make you laugh.

But hey, maybe he can channel an inner Chris Kontos to a degree...maybe like the 92-93 Kontos who had 51 points in 63 games with the Lightning. I hope he pulls THAT kind of Kontos
I guess what Bud Holloway did was more along the lines of following the Chris Kontos pattern for success, which is holding out for a better contract. I figure King is a bit more level headed and realizes what a grand opportunity he has at becoming a regular NHLer at the start of next season. He seems to have a roster spot guaranteed now with how he's performed this year.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:04 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

I will be surprised he he gets more than 1.2m per year. My guess is 2yr/2m

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I expect an Alec Martinez type deal, 2 years at around $800,000- $900,000 per season cap hit. King has basically no leverage right now, I'm not even sure if he has arbitration rights. The CBA gurus can ellaborate on that, but if his situation is similar to Martinez, then DL holds the cards. King also only has 47 career NHl games to his credit, so hard to say he deserves a huge raise really.
I agree with this Dean is actually a really good and fair negotiator. I think hes great getting fair deals.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Thanks for that video.. the game where Kontos had the hat trick was my first NHL game. I can still remember driving to the forum in the back of my Dad's suburban listening to Pirate Radio 100.3 FM and I distinctly remember hearing Paradise City by GNR. We got their for warm ups and Ron Duguay threw a puck to me that went over my head and some fat drunk dude took it. My dad bought me one of those ministicks and a puck. I went to my 3rd grade class the next day and told everyone about it. I've been hooked on hockey since then. /memories

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

2 years @ $1.6 Mil total, plus ALL the TORTA AHOGADA's he can eat !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

He'll get Scott Parse's money

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

10 years at 7 million seems about right.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
He'll definitely get less than 1M.

Something between 750K and 900K.

Last edited by The Black1963: 05-25-2012 at 12:41 AM.
The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post

3y/1.2M per, 'cuz Dean is Dean!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Thanks for that video.. the game where Kontos had the hat trick was my first NHL game. I can still remember driving to the forum in the back of my Dad's suburban listening to Pirate Radio 100.3 FM and I distinctly remember hearing Paradise City by GNR. We got their for warm ups and Ron Duguay threw a puck to me that went over my head and some fat drunk dude took it. My dad bought me one of those ministicks and a puck. I went to my 3rd grade class the next day and told everyone about it. I've been hooked on hockey since then. /memories
That's pretty damn impressive that you remember all of that. My memories of the forum are fading... although I do recall seeing Steve McKenna score a goal against the Washington Capitals, the last regular season game at the Forum against the Blues, with Jason Podollan getting his ass beat by Jamal Mayers and Jason Blake's debut (and first goal), and the very last hockey game played there, pre-season, against the Ducks that was full of fights and goals (and an Aki Berg chant).

Back to Dwight King, he's 22 now, turns 23 on July 5th and was earning a little over $590K on his entry level deal. He'll probably get closer to $900K to $1M and I would think that his performance has earned him a one-way contract.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:37 AM
2-4 Slashin
Tony Granato Fan!

Quote:
That's pretty damn impressive that you remember all of that. My memories of the forum are fading... although I do recall seeing Steve McKenna score a goal against the Washington Capitals, the last regular season game at the Forum against the Blues, with Jason Podollan getting his ass beat by Jamal Mayers and Jason Blake's debut (and first goal), and the very last hockey game played there, pre-season, against the Ducks that was full of fights and goals (and an Aki Berg chant).

Back to Dwight King, he's 22 now, turns 23 on July 5th and was earning a little over $590K on his entry level deal. He'll probably get closer to $900K to $1M and I would think that his performance has earned him a one-way contract.
I agree with this. I know that pot season frenzy and heroics make me want to give DK a lifetime 10M contract but his 47 game trial has proved fruitful and I think he has earned a minimum 2 year deal at just under a Million per. But if he shines like it seems he can I hope DL starts negotiations sooner than later. Imagine having a true home grown power forward for once.

Do it Dean

Slashin

2-4 Slashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:04 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Can he have a bonus-laden contract at this point? (The CBA rules for RFAs are confusing to me) I was thinking with DK having only 47 games under his belt it might be a good idea to structure the deal for 2-3 years with a base of around 800k - 900k and then have bonuses for X points and X goals to bring the it up to the 1.2 - 1.3 range if he produces. I could see him being a suitable replacement if Penner walks, isn't resigned, asks for too much, on the 2nd line with Richards and Carter and could see him having success there over the course of a full season. If Pancakes is resigned or someone else replaces him (or if King struggles on the 2nd line,) King moves down to the third line and continues tobe paid like one.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That's an awesome memory (minus the drunk dude). I wish I had seen the forum. Hopefully some day I get down to LA for a game. A buddy of mine stopped in to watch a game a few years back against the Flyers on his way to Hawaii, man was I jealous.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
MsWoof

He'll get a raise but it will be less than a million per year.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:41 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I am hoping 2-3 years 1.3-1.5

That way he hits his 2nd...REAL contract at about 26 years old, which I think is a great time to re-analyze his worth.

The Kid has so much potential. I almost thing he makes Penner expendable during the next offseason as a 2nd line power forward capable of at least 20-20 in the near future.
He makes penner expendable? Lol no. Penners so good in the crease.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote