HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Hi, my name is Cal Clutterbuck, what am I worth to this team?

Old
05-24-2012, 01:27 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Hi, my name is Cal Clutterbuck, what am I worth to this team?

Cal Clutterbuck will be coming up for a contract renewal next season, and even though he's a RFA, the Wild are an interesting position with Clutter.

This will be a very telling year for him; if he's worth a lot to this organization or if we are going to look at guys like Larsson and Bulmer to take over and trade Clutter.

I can't really see the Wild giving more than 3.5 million but on the open market, some team would definitely snag him for that much.

So, what do you think is the worth of Clutter on this team?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Timothy Freitag

I could see something similar to Alex Burrows. Maybe a little less since his numbers aren't the same... I could see him getting a 3yr/5.25mil deal.

Timothy Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:53 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Cal Clutterbuck will be coming up for a contract renewal next season, and even though he's a RFA, the Wild are an interesting position with Clutter.

This will be a very telling year for him; if he's worth a lot to this organization or if we are going to look at guys like Larsson and Bulmer to take over and trade Clutter.

I can't really see the Wild giving more than 3.5 million but on the open market, some team would definitely snag him for that much.

So, what do you think is the worth of Clutter on this team?
all this depends on the new CBA and how much the cap is affected. in the current cap system cal would get a 3mil deal easy even 3.5 isn't out of the question but remember the cap now is massive so values are inflated. if the cap and the way its derived go down with the new CBA his deal will be affected by it.

Good news is he's a RFA giving us the control, still i don't think Wild will be trying to auction him off even if guys like Bulmer emerge to show they can be like him, nothing wrong with having a 3rd line that is just hated by all the other teams.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:57 AM
MNman

Clutter is a known....Bulmer and Larsson are unknowns at this point. Not sure if we can let a guy like Clutter go until we are more sure what his replacement(s) will provide for us.

As long as it is $2 mill or less per season, keep him. Maybe up to $2.5.

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
brodziak's deal probably.
or similar.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Meh, aside from one or two people thinking he's got high trade value, he's probably not going to fetch us an upgrade.

1st round pick? Not gonna happen.
2nd round pick or later? What's the point?
High end prospect? Not gonna happen.
Longshot prospect? What's the point?
Quality defenseman or top six player? Not gonna happen.
Depth or role player? What's the point?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Hi Cal!

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I'm not as big on Clutterbuck as many other Wild fans....IMO, he's worth no more than $1.5-$2 million/year TOPS.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
I would like to keep Cal, I really want to see what kind of havoc he could cause in the playoffs. I think he could really be a stud in the post season.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
TZM
Par too easy

2 to 2.5 million a year. I used to like him more though.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I know that he can fill a role and all....but I wonder how much his unusual name fits into his popularity? Would he be as much of a hit (no pun intended) with fans if his name was something like Tim Johnson instead of Cal Clutterbuck?

Old
05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Shhh...guys are going to be changing their name for an extra couple hundred K per year.

Wait...Boogaard...Clutterbuck...is it just a Minnesota thing?

Old
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Shhh...guys are going to be changing their name for an extra couple hundred K per year.

Wait...Boogaard...Clutterbuck...is it just a Minnesota thing?
You gotta admit, having an unusual name can make someone more marketable....

Old
05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
forthewild

joel ward got him self a nice pay day and he isn't as good as clutter, people down play him and say 2mil tops.

he can easily be a 20-25g 3rd line beast of a player when we have a roster that isn't like swiss cheese with injuries.

with inflation i have no problem with 3.5 mil, however with the new CBA that value might change.

3.5 isn't what it used to be in 2005 when the cap was something like 40 mil.

lets say the cap is 65 million, is 3.5/65 that big? not really.

we have to account for inflation, but Cal does have two big questions to answer and i feel that if we have some stability and not as many injuries he can answer one next year.

1: health and consistency, there is a worry that his game is wearing out his body, will affect his value.

2: playoff performance, obviously we need to make the playoffs before we get there

but if Cal can show come consistency which can happen with less roster turn over he is worth 3.5

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Clutter's not going to score 20-25 goals. Remember when we thought Mikko was an 80-90 point guy, if only he had some wingers? Never happened.

Cal's good for about 15 goals a year, give or take a couple. He also does not make players around him better at all, which is why he's a bottom six player.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Clutter's not going to score 20-25 goals. Remember when we thought Mikko was an 80-90 point guy, if only he had some wingers? Never happened.

Cal's good for about 15 goals a year, give or take a couple. He also does not make players around him better at all, which is why he's a bottom six player.
I agree. Clutterbuck is an "energy guy" who can chip in an occasional goal, nothing more. Nothing wrong with that, every good team can use a player like that...but how much how are they really worth?

Old
05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

In a trade, I think Clutter is the type of guy you add a solid/strong piece (draft pick or/and prospect) to get a player who will be relied on for years to come.

Outside of that, I have no interest in moving him as he fills a role. That role may not be extremely needed for where this team is now, nor is it viewed as a slot that's hard to fill; however, he's exactly the type of player a team misses when they trade him away. The guy is very capable in any situation (albeit limited in a few).

As for what he's worth contract wise, I don't get as caught up in those type of figures as some do. Therefore, I don't know/care.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd guess he would get $5m over two years on his next contract, although that would be on the high end of what I'd spend on him.

IF you could add him to a prospect/pick to get an upgrade, that would be best, but I don't think we'd be happy giving up the level of prospect/pick.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Newer Reebok caps on older Jofa shoulders, huh?

Old
05-24-2012, 01:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

1st round pick? Not gonna happen.
Actually Troy Brouwer got a late 1st round pick as well as Paul Gaustad...I think he could fetch a late 1st round pick.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:23 PM
nickschultzfan

I am one of the few people who thinks that we should trade Cal. My reasoning:

1. Clutterbuck plays a physical game based on speed and hitting that requires youth. His peak playing years is much younger than most forwards. The moment he get injury problems or loses a step, his effectness is drastically reduced. We might already be ing this. I don't think we have too many more good seasons out of him.

2. Clutterbuck doesn't play well with others. Horrible passing. No vision. Takes the majority of shots on whatever line he is one. He potentially kills more offense than he creates. This would be fine on a hard checking with two other low-offense forecheckers, but our third line is going to be archored by Brodziak, who plays a completely different game than Clutterbuck, and Brodziak >> Clutterbuck in value to team.

3. Clutterbuck's shot is incredibly predictable. He goes high every time. As this becomes more and more known to goalies, he'll score a lot less.

4. We do have young players who could replace Clutterbuck on the 3rd line, and who will fit better with Brodziak.

5. Certain GMs will highly value Clutterbuck. He might be worth a 1st rounder at the deadline to some GMs or be part of a trade to move up or for a defender.

6. Clutterbuck skates past the puck looking for a big hit way too often. Everytime he skates past the puck looking for a hit, that's equivalent to a turnover. Teams like the Wings always have the puck because nobody on that team ever skates past the puck.

To me #2 is the big one. Clutterbuck plays so much on an island that its painful to watch. Despite his goals, I blame Clutterbuck for a lot of the Wild's poor offense the last few years. He just kills offensive zone time and he takes bad shots instead of making the easy pass.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I am one of the few people who thinks that we should trade Cal. My reasoning:

1. Clutterbuck plays a physical game based on speed and hitting that requires youth. His peak playing years is much younger than most forwards. The moment he get injury problems or loses a step, his effectness is drastically reduced. We might already be ing this. I don't think we have too many more good seasons out of him.

2. Clutterbuck doesn't play well with others. Horrible passing. No vision. Takes the majority of shots on whatever line he is one. He potentially kills more offense than he creates. This would be fine on a hard checking with two other low-offense forecheckers, but our third line is going to be archored by Brodziak, who plays a completely different game than Clutterbuck, and Brodziak >> Clutterbuck in value to team.

3. Clutterbuck's shot is incredibly predictable. He goes high every time. As this becomes more and more known to goalies, he'll score a lot less.

4. We do have young players who could replace Clutterbuck on the 3rd line, and who will fit better with Brodziak.

5. Certain GMs will highly value Clutterbuck. He might be worth a 1st rounder at the deadline to some GMs or be part of a trade to move up or for a defender.

6. Clutterbuck skates past the puck looking for a big hit way too often. Everytime he skates past the puck looking for a hit, that's equivalent to a turnover. Teams like the Wings always have the puck because nobody on that team ever skates past the puck.

To me #2 is the big one. Clutterbuck plays so much on an island that its painful to watch. Despite his goals, I blame Clutterbuck for a lot of the Wild's poor offense the last few years. He just kills offensive zone time and he takes bad shots instead of making the easy pass.
This is a well thought out and informative post. Really good analysis.

And I think I agree with it. It might be better to trade Clutterbuck sooner rather than later.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd highly agree with #2, and if/when we do have better players who can play a third line role, and if he does not want to accept a smaller role on the team or desires a trade, I would look to move him.

He's solid at his role, but on a great hockey team, I'm not sure he makes the top nine. He average 11 assists per season...

Edit: although #6 I agree, he was less effective by far when trying to play a more skilled game. I just don't think he thinks the game fast enough or has the skills to pull it off. He knows his role and does it 110%, but that's a more limited role.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I'd also like to see the Wild moving from their two scoring lines + checking + energy setup to 3 scoring + checking sometime in the future.

I don't know how Clutterbuck would fit into that.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote