HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers may not be in this position again for many, many years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  #76
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Lol , at the Gaborik goal
Still got a win so all is forgotten on their side.

Meanwhile, I saw that Zajac softie in my nightmares last night.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
  #77
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
C'mon, goalies give up some stinkers every so often. In Brodeur's prime during the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals, he gave up this beut:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5bbRPK6sz2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wowzers , I remember that , good point , that made the Gabs goal look like a thing of beauty

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
  #78
MortUWary
Registered Loser
 
MortUWary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Still got a win so all is forgotten on their side.

Meanwhile, I saw that Zajac softie in my nightmares last night.
Yeah, that's a goal most beer league goalies stop. I was shocked when I realized it beat Hank. Crushing to go down 3-0 in the first half of the 1st period, but I believe he'll bounce back.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  #79
Tikkanen10fan
Registered User
 
Tikkanen10fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
delete this thread.
unless tortarella goes to the blues and takes half the team with him they will be just fine next season

Tikkanen10fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  #80
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Thats the tough part about this. When the Mets lost in 2006, I knew it would be many, many years before they'd get that far again (and of course I was right). And I have the same feeling right now with this Rangers team.

I'd also equate it with meeting a special woman, and losing her. You think "the next one is right around the corner" and then years AND YEARS go by and you just can't meet anyone like that again.

Richards is no spring chicken and there are some older guys on this team. Lundqvist is getting older, too. This may be his last shot at the cup.

I can't believe it. I was so sure the Rangers were heading to the finals. But then again I was also so sure the Mets in 2006 were headed to the World Series. The similar feelings right now are staggering. It feels like 2006 (Mets) all over again. Losing out on a trip to the finals (World Series) to a bitter rival, only to watch helplessly as they win (yet another) title.

I just feel like shooting myself right now. I suffer from depression (real depression) and this is just making it 10 times worse.
Mets were up 3-1 in their series and blew that. They also blew the tie dramatically in the 9th. They were far from clutch or a gritty gut it out team. Their success was derived on talent that disappeared on the big stage. They also had A LOT of holes. Wagner was a headcase closer, Reyes was constantly injured. Little-no consistency within the lineup besides our 3-5 hitters. Their rotation and bullpen were also inconsistent. Most importantly, the MLB is not the same as the NHL, in terms of sustained success. Can't see MLB teams consistently having successful teams for more than 2-3 years at a time (besides the Yankees because they have an endless supply of cash to constantly replenish and even they don't have the sustained success everyone expects from them).

NHL players can sustain their peaks much longer than MLB players can. Our players are playing this good at the ages of 22-24, their peak years haven't even hit. Our captain is just entering his peak. We also have top end talent likely to be inserted into our line up in the next 2 years - Erixon, Mcilrath, Miller, Fasth amongst fa's/trades we might make. Our defense is going to be scary to face, our offense can only get better, our goalie has at least another 5 years of top play left in him.

Your fears are unwarranted.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  #81
MortUWary
Registered Loser
 
MortUWary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
wowzers , I remember that , good point , that made the Gabs goal look like a thing of beauty
Sorry about the embedding screw up, but you get my point. Quick allowed a center ice slapper from NHL player Derek Morris during the WCF that I'm sure he'd like back too. It happens...

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
  #82
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Still got a win so all is forgotten on their side.

Meanwhile, I saw that Zajac softie in my nightmares last night.


How about Anisimov's beauty , or Gionta 's blatant high stick , that led to a goal , that hurt

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
  #83
EEDAWGZ
Registered User
 
EEDAWGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Sorry about the embedding screw up, but you get my point. Quick allowed a center ice slapper from NHL player Derek Morris during the WCF that I'm sure he'd like back too. It happens...
I saw it perfectly when you posted it

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:25 PM
  #84
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Thats the tough part about this. When the Mets lost in 2006, I knew it would be many, many years before they'd get that far again (and of course I was right). And I have the same feeling right now with this Rangers team.

I'd also equate it with meeting a special woman, and losing her. You think "the next one is right around the corner" and then years AND YEARS go by and you just can't meet anyone like that again.

Richards is no spring chicken and there are some older guys on this team. Lundqvist is getting older, too. This may be his last shot at the cup.

I can't believe it. I was so sure the Rangers were heading to the finals. But then again I was also so sure the Mets in 2006 were headed to the World Series. The similar feelings right now are staggering. It feels like 2006 (Mets) all over again. Losing out on a trip to the finals (World Series) to a bitter rival, only to watch helplessly as they win (yet another) title.

I just feel like shooting myself right now. I suffer from depression (real depression) and this is just making it 10 times worse.
I guess that you are pretty young and I can calm you that it gets easier and easier to take humilation like this the more a team sucks. I lived through every single year of the misery from 97' to 06' -- and I can tell you this, getting p'd at like we are right now is nothing like how bad it was back then.

Its hard to speculate on if you are right or not. You definitely have a point that the east is weak this season in terms of clear contenders. We would probably not stand a chance against the best Pittsburgh team we have seen the last 4 years. Or Washington team. And probably not Boston team. Not like we are playing right now, we would get swept.

But, we will also get better and there is never any guarantees for other teams. Will Crosby play?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
  #85
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,733
vCash: 50
I too hate it when we lose a series 3-2..............

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #86
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
When we end as a 5th seed next year at best and bow out in the first round, I'll think of this post and laugh. EVERYTHING broke right for this team and they still choke. ****** franchise is ******.
I like you. You have character and i imagine you as a grumbling, grumpy, old man sitting at his computer in a rather dimly lit room and drinking from a bottle of whiskey which is mostly diluted because some days you don't feel like leaving the house to buy another bottle, so you just hold it under the tap for a second. You hate everything. Always.

Eh that's what I imagine anyway. Please don't take offense to this i'm not saying this to be a dick rather just let you know that you got some funny and amusing qualities that makes threads interesting when you are around.

In regards to your post I have to disagree, this young team is learning. If they make it to the finals it's because a handful of young kids with ****loads of talent and potential stood in front of one of the world's best goal tenders (you hate me for saying that) and managed to surprise a lot of people this year and in these playoffs (for the most part) But they just don't fully get what it takes to be a champion yet. You can almost smell it in veteran players like Selanne and (hate to say it) Brodeur (i hate you so much Brodeur) and Messier.

These whipper snappers have no idea what they are capable of. They are trying to run before they can walk and they'll learn to slow down, see the ice, and think about their plays instead of trying to make a quick blind pass or over thinking a shot. Mistakes that can cost a team. And they need to tweak their psyche a little. As a group, if they're playing well they're like a Mac Truck plowing down other teams. But as soon as they realize that another team is going to come at them hard with every intent to win, they seem to stumble back and get confused. We saw 100 percent that in the last 2 games. The Rangers need to step onto the ice and know they are the better team and know they will win.

In three or four years can you imagine where McDonagh will be? Kreider? Stepan? It's exciting to think about the potential of these kids and one of the best defensive squads out there. Not to mention your buddy Hank. Good things are coming, if not this year, then really really soon. This isn't a group of old washouts and has beens with no direction or future. The Rangers are a young Pit Bull. Looking scarier and scarier every year and the bite will only get harder as well.

marinade in that.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:32 PM
  #87
vbman09
Registered User
 
vbman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
We are the 5th youngest team in the league.

The series is not over, Hank had a bad game, as long as he is not hurt he will rebound.

We played much of the game in the Devils zone, as long as we keep that up and Hank makes some stops we should be playing Sunday

We are going to only get better with the Young guys having this experience under there belt. We are going to be fine.

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
  #88
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
I'm not even sure why 1997 is even being brought up. That was an old team with many of the players being past their prime. The Rangers didn't have any young talent, due in part to some bad trades by Smith, and we didn't have many promising prospects in the pipeline. They lost Messier in the offseason and replaced him with more old bums like Skrudland and Kevin Stevens. That sort of situation won't be happening this offseason.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
  #89
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,577
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Hmmmmm. Aggressive forechecking team... They play a style similar to that of our rivals from NJ, except they have the two of the best centers in the world on that team.
I'm not even referring to that.

I'm talking about what they do to the Rangers in our zone.

We do not do well with their skilled centers Crosby and Malkin. The offence that they run in our zones creates major problems for our defence.

forecheck aside, their forwards pose a major problem for us.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
  #90
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
alot of you are taking this run for granted, acting like we will be here again multiple times in the next several years

while i hope that is the case, its naive to think that will happen, injuries could hurt us, other teams will be tougher

long time ranger fans, atleast i think most of them would feel to not take this for granted

this doesnt happen often, no matter how good a team is, especially in todays market, last year boston was suppose to have a dynasty team, and maybe win back to back, we all know what happened to them

point is appreciate this and don't take it for granted, who knows how long it will be again till were two wins away from a cup final, last time was 1994

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
  #91
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Or we'll be right back at it next season with an improving roster, young players coming through the system and making impacts better than Mike Rupp, Stu Bickel, Steve Eminger and John Mitchell can make. A lot of missing pieces on this team yet we are here.

Pittsburgh has to revamp it's defense right now
Philly has to do the same thing
New Jersey has a lot of players going to UFA and don't have a suitable replacement for Marty
The Islanders are still the Islanders.

I don't see why the Rangers can't get back here "anytime soon".

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:02 PM
  #92
TankLarkin
Registered User
 
TankLarkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
the title of this thread is crazy talk.

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #93
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I like you. You have character and i imagine you as a grumbling, grumpy, old man sitting at his computer in a rather dimly lit room and drinking from a bottle of whiskey which is mostly diluted because some days you don't feel like leaving the house to buy another bottle, so you just hold it under the tap for a second. You hate everything. Always.

Eh that's what I imagine anyway. Please don't take offense to this i'm not saying this to be a dick rather just let you know that you got some funny and amusing qualities that makes threads interesting when you are around.

In regards to your post I have to disagree, this young team is learning. If they make it to the finals it's because a handful of young kids with ****loads of talent and potential stood in front of one of the world's best goal tenders (you hate me for saying that) and managed to surprise a lot of people this year and in these playoffs (for the most part) But they just don't fully get what it takes to be a champion yet. You can almost smell it in veteran players like Selanne and (hate to say it) Brodeur (i hate you so much Brodeur) and Messier.

These whipper snappers have no idea what they are capable of. They are trying to run before they can walk and they'll learn to slow down, see the ice, and think about their plays instead of trying to make a quick blind pass or over thinking a shot. Mistakes that can cost a team. And they need to tweak their psyche a little. As a group, if they're playing well they're like a Mac Truck plowing down other teams. But as soon as they realize that another team is going to come at them hard with every intent to win, they seem to stumble back and get confused. We saw 100 percent that in the last 2 games. The Rangers need to step onto the ice and know they are the better team and know they will win.

In three or four years can you imagine where McDonagh will be? Kreider? Stepan? It's exciting to think about the potential of these kids and one of the best defensive squads out there. Not to mention your buddy Hank. Good things are coming, if not this year, then really really soon. This isn't a group of old washouts and has beens with no direction or future. The Rangers are a young Pit Bull. Looking scarier and scarier every year and the bite will only get harder as well.

marinade in that.
The Rangers can be better and never get close to where they are now. Everything broke right for them to finish first and when they did, everything broke right for them that the best teams were eliminated. We're playing 3 of the 4 worst teams in the east (Florida is the other) and don't make it to the finals. Just 2 years ago the Caps won the Presidents' trophy, last year they were 1st in the east. This year they were 7th and if not for a massive Boston choke would have been one and done.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
  #94
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The Rangers can be better and never get close to where they are now. Everything broke right for them to finish first and when they did, everything broke right for them that the best teams were eliminated. We're playing 3 of the 4 worst teams in the east (Florida is the other) and don't make it to the finals. Just 2 years ago the Caps won the Presidents' trophy, last year they were 1st in the east. This year they were 7th and if not for a massive Boston choke would have been one and done.
Well all either one of us or anyone here can do is speculate. My glass is a little more full than yours and that's cool man. Trust me, i'm a negative Nancy when it comes to this teams most of the time because they aggravate the **** out of me. But it was fun to watch them this year. Finally getting a good taste of success feels good. I'm just going on who we have and maybe who we'll get. Would be great to have a guy like Parise or Ryan on this club come next year. Like i said before this is one of the best defensive teams in the league. With the best goalie. We work on getting some scoring and i think this team can be unstoppable.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
  #95
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,328
vCash: 500
Seriously the Rangers CAN be perennial contenders, but they could just as easily be a footnote of Rangers history of a team that lost in 6 in the ECF and did nothing afterwards.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:38 PM
  #96
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Im just as excited for next year as i am this year. We have a good young defense. Seriously there is not a single player on our defense over the age of 28 years old. Our goaltender still has plenty of Prime left. Our offense will round out next season IMO.

Alot of our players had down years stats wise. Richard had 66points this season, i can totally see him scoring 80-90 playing a full year with Gabby. I expect Dubi to pot 20 as opposed to 10.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
  #97
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Well all either one of us or anyone here can do is speculate. My glass is a little more full than yours and that's cool man. Trust me, i'm a negative Nancy when it comes to this teams most of the time because they aggravate the **** out of me. But it was fun to watch them this year. Finally getting a good taste of success feels good. I'm just going on who we have and maybe who we'll get. Would be great to have a guy like Parise or Ryan on this club come next year. Like i said before this is one of the best defensive teams in the league. With the best goalie. We work on getting some scoring and i think this team can be unstoppable.
The problem with this being one of the best defensive teams is that nowadays almost any team can play good defense in the playoffs. Look at Ottawa and Washington. We need offense.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:40 PM
  #98
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,716
vCash: 500
Every team to win a Cup had to lose in the Conference Finals or the Stanley Cup finals in the past few years. Penguins lost to the Wings before they won.. Hawks to the Wings... Bruins to the Flyers. This is INVALUABLE playoff experience for our guys.

Not to mention as "older" as we're getting, we have more young guys learning and getting better in the years to come. McD, MDZ, Stepan, Kreider are all going to improve in the coming years.

Step away from the ledge people.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  #99
RangersChamps2417
Registered User
 
RangersChamps2417's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I wonder if this is how fans of the 2008 Penguins, 2009 Blackhawks, and 2010 Bruins felt. As someone mentioned in a terrific post in the post-game thread, a team usually has to go on a deep run and experience heartbreak before they win the cup.
Next year's team has the potential to be better than they are this year. The young players will be more experienced, a full season of Staal (and Kreider), and hopefully players like Richards and Dubi (if still on the team) will bounce back. This playoff run may be instrumental in helping the team get to the next level if they can't pull it off this year.
This is it right there. In order for a team to win, they often have to learn to lose in a big situation first. Look at the Mets in the early 80's as a model. They had great young players, but would always fall a little short and lose to the Cardinals. With a few addins here and there, they went all the way and won in 86! Also, the great Oilers Teams of the 80's got swept by the Kings and lost in the Cup finals to the Islanders before they went on their dynasty run. Even the Yankees. They won in 95 but lost in the playoffs in 1996, and then went on their dynasty run. Building a great young team takes time for it to mature. I have a good feeling that we will be a great great team for the next 5 years or so. Kreider looks like the real deal and McD, Stepan, Hags, Cally are all great already. Times are good gentlemen. The thing that sucks most is losing to the rival Devils and having to hear all the scum band wagon fans talk ****. We'll be the ones laughing for the next few years though

The series isn't over though! I will be cheering on my team until the final second goes off and theyre losing. Stranger things have happened!

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  #100
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Every team to win a Cup had to lose in the Conference Finals or the Stanley Cup finals in the past few years. Penguins lost to the Wings before they won.. Hawks to the Wings... Bruins to the Flyers. This is INVALUABLE playoff experience for our guys.

Not to mention as "older" as we're getting, we have more young guys learning and getting better in the years to come. McD, MDZ, Stepan, Kreider are all going to improve in the coming years.

Step away from the ledge people.
This year one of the Kings, Devils, or Rangers will win the cup, none of these teams went past the 1st round since 08. I believe that the Rangers were past the 1st round the most recent from these teams. Granted the Kings have had some players that were in the cup finals, but when was the last time the Kings were past the 1st round?


Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 05-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.
SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.