HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Tell me about Collin Olsen

Old
05-21-2012, 05:35 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Tell me about Collin Olsen

Big goaltender from Minnesota, does he have any pro potential? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he draft eligible this year, will anybody take a chance? Where is commited to play next season? Thanks guy!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:37 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Was a big fan of him at the Under 18's a few weeks ago. Big kid, moves well, nice reflexes, looks composed in the goal. Could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:30 AM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

vCash: 500
He's committed to Ohio State.

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:53 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I really like his game personally. He's not as flashy or "talented" as Gibson was or as big of a "gamer" as Campbell, but in my mind, he's a player. To me, he has "average NHL starter" type potential where he's not going to steal games but will keep a team in it.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
herbst20

I wish he would delay going to OSU next year so he could wear a Roughrider Sweater. He has been on our affiliate list for sometime now!

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was a big fan of him at the Under 18's a few weeks ago. Big kid, moves well, nice reflexes, looks composed in the goal. Could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.
Wanted to write just this.

That's how I saw it at the U-18s as well.

Chapin Landvogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Brodeur

Here's a write up from former NHL scout Grant Sonier via his ESPN column:

Quote:
Now that the IIHF U-18 Championships have concluded with another American gold medal -- Team USA's fourth straight -- the focus for many of this group of players turns to the NHL draft. The 10-team tournament featured a number of top picks and some players have surely elevated their draft stock while others have left some major questions.

No player had a greater impact on the tournament then U.S. goaltender Collin Olson. Standing at 6-foot-3 1/4;, he stood even taller for the entire tournament. He was named top goaltender with a 0.80 GAA and a .965 save percentage for his five games. Ranked 21st among North American goaltenders by Central Scouting, he seems to be grossly misplaced and his performance had many scouts talking. As one Eastern Conference scout said, "What is there not to like? He has size, moves well and stops the puck."

For me, Olson is one of the biggest climbers, as there is a great deal of weight put on this tournament. And he won't be the only player moving up or down draft boards following the tourney's conclusion. Here's a more detailed look at Olson and some of the other big movers following the U-18s.

G Collin Olson, 6-3 1/4, 197 pounds: He was the talk of the tournament for goaltenders. His size and fluid movements have impressed many, as did his total numbers. In his five games played he registered three shutouts. Stock Watch: Big Riser into the second round Range: 31-60

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Played well in the U18's (if I'm not mistaking him for someone else)... I bet he's a 6th or 7th gamble pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Played well in the U18's (if I'm not mistaking him for someone else)... I bet he's a 6th or 7th gamble pick.
I think his U-18's vaulted him into the first 5 rounds.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Wanted to write just this.

That's how I saw it at the U-18s as well.
Chapin, as a fellow Isles follower, do you see him as a potential Snow draft pick? We don't NEED a goaltender but with our depth we can give this kid all the time he needs to develop at OSU.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Chapin, as a fellow Isles follower, do you see him as a potential Snow draft pick? We don't NEED a goaltender but with our depth we can give this kid all the time he needs to develop at OSU.
It would be hard for a GM to pass him up if he's sitting there in the 5th round.

As of now, GM Garth has two 5th rounders.

True, we don't need another goalie, but it's generally considered wise to take one once every two years if there's good reason to believe the kid can make the NHL. And let's be honest, Rosen was the last one taken and he's not a prospect.

I think teams must think he can at this juncture.

That said, I'm gonna tip on some goaltending-hungry team taking him no later than in round 3.

Chapin Landvogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
It would be hard for a GM to pass him up if he's sitting there in the 5th round.

As of now, GM Garth has two 5th rounders.

True, we don't need another goalie, but it's generally considered wise to take one once every two years if there's good reason to believe the kid can make the NHL. And let's be honest, Rosen was the last one taken and he's not a prospect.

I think teams must think he can at this juncture.

That said, I'm gonna tip on some goaltending-hungry team taking him no later than in round 3.
True true, you make great points. I think if he falls to the fourth round Garth could possibly take him.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
hawksfan50

Well I don't knowif Olson's stock RISES him to the 2nd round or not -but probably goes in the first half of round three if there is a run on goalies..

You have the consensus top 3 of Subban,Vasilevski and Dansk --most projecting 2or all 3 to go as first rounders and most ranking either Subban or Vasilevski as the first to go off the board of the goalie crop ....In round 2 possibly 2or 3 goalies could go ...you have the 3 "BIG" American goalies JON GILLIES,ANTHONY STOLARZ .and OLSON...Central Scouting really made STOLARZ the big riser from mid to finalranking (all the way to #4 NA goalie) snd GILLIES has been considered a possible late 2nd round pick on many mock draffts and rankings ---so it is possible OLSON also squeezes into the late 2nd -BUT you still have JAKE PATERSON (Plymouth OHL) who many like and he is 3rd rated NA goalie by Central scouting --so he could be a late 2nd pick also ....IF all 4 go in round 2 AND given that 3 went in round one --that is 7 goalies in the top 2 rounds ....I do not know if that would be a coment on how good a goalie crop this is OR a comment on how weak the position players are in this draft?

IF past draftsare indicative--7 goalies going in the first 2 rounds is way too much...probably 5 in a good goalie crop year --so if 3 go in round one --the odds are maybe only 2 more go in round two and the other 2 of the 7 mentioned go in round 3 (but maybe early in round 3 as oppsed to later round 3?)..

YET if GM's think this draft really is weak in position players after the first 20 picks or so-THEN a run on goalies could accelearte the haste to grab onemore quickly that normal ..In that case maybe 6or all 7 go before round 2 is over...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Article on ESPN, yes I know it's ESPN, has him in the 2nd round range.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:09 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Yea, the kid is in no way a "late round gamble".

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Not to lump all ESPN coverage as bad, but the article is written by Grant Sonier who is a former NHL scout and worked for McKeen's last year.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Not to lump all ESPN coverage as bad, but the article is written by Grant Sonier who is a former NHL scout and worked for McKeen's last year.
People loooove to bash ESPN but when you look at who writes the articles it's usually freelance writers who actually have quite a bit of intimacy with the game... ESPN isn't stupid... Either they're too lazy to hire a good team of hockey writers or they're smart in freelancing articles to people who understand hockey a bit more than the average sports analyst.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:50 PM
chasespace

U18 performance vaulted him to the 3rd-4th range IMO. Possibly higher if someone saw something they really like about his play.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote