HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

AAA Youth Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
  #1
Slowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
AAA Youth Hockey

Hey I'm curious if anyone can comment on the general skill level between the NAPHL and the Tier 1 Elite League. I've heard the T1EL is the higher end league, but NAPHL has a few good teams as well. I find it kinda odd they are two separate leagues. Wouldn't it make more sense to combine the two leagues and create better geographical divisions? It would ease the cost of travel, reduce costs for players, create a more standardized AAA league, be easier to scout, compare, etc. Or are the two leagues really that different in the level of play?

Oh, and I realize this would be unlikely. Different team owners, differing opinions, and likely different groups trying to make $$$. Just a curious thought though...

Are there other top AAA leagues out there? I know of the High Performance Hockey League as a split off from the T1EL. Those are obviously some elite teams such as Chicago Mission and Compuware. I get why they can write their own ticket. Any other AAA leagues though that have a history of moving kids up the ranks?

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
  #2
Edges7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
Hey I'm curious if anyone can comment on the general skill level between the NAPHL and the Tier 1 Elite League. I've heard the T1EL is the higher end league, but NAPHL has a few good teams as well. I find it kinda odd they are two separate leagues. Wouldn't it make more sense to combine the two leagues and create better geographical divisions? It would ease the cost of travel, reduce costs for players, create a more standardized AAA league, be easier to scout, compare, etc. Or are the two leagues really that different in the level of play?

Oh, and I realize this would be unlikely. Different team owners, differing opinions, and likely different groups trying to make $$$. Just a curious thought though...

Are there other top AAA leagues out there? I know of the High Performance Hockey League as a split off from the T1EL. Those are obviously some elite teams such as Chicago Mission and Compuware. I get why they can write their own ticket. Any other AAA leagues though that have a history of moving kids up the ranks?
NAPHL is clearly a level below T1E. Yes, the have some good teams but even the best NAPHL team would be barely competitive with T1E.

There are Atlantic Youth Hockey League programs that have done a decent job of moving kids up - Team Comcast, North Jersey Avalanche and the NJ Colonials are fairly consistent in their development of elite players. Clearly not as many as the T1E and HPC teams. MA hockey does a good job following its own model as do WI and MN.

Not really sure what you are getting at. But hockey development in the US has always been a patchquilt proposition.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #3
Slowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Not really sure what you are getting at. But hockey development in the US has always been a patchquilt proposition.
Not really getting at much. I just hear about so many AAA teams with lots of travel and high expenses. It makes sense to me to put as many high caliber AAA teams in one league to standardize the "patchquilt" at least a bit. The more teams in one league the lower the cost. Easier for scouts to compare prospects.

But if NAPHL really is a step below the level of play in T1EL, then it wouldn't be worth a merger at the expense of the competition level.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:44 PM
  #4
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,131
vCash: 500
NAPHL is definitely a step below T1. That said there are many teams in the NAPHL that could easily compete. Hell a bunch of the T1 teams that replaced the teams that split off came from NAPHL.

The reason they aren't combined is that league would have 40 teams....way to many games to play, as well as different tourney styles. NAPHL does it all under one roof in a weekend, where T1 has divisional play.

I will say in this day an age, if you aren't in a traditional market, you need to play for a AAA team that is in one of these leagues. The old tourney format isn't gonna get you the opportunities and games in front of scouts that these leagues bring you.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:38 AM
  #5
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
Not really getting at much. I just hear about so many AAA teams with lots of travel and high expenses. It makes sense to me to put as many high caliber AAA teams in one league to standardize the "patchquilt" at least a bit. The more teams in one league the lower the cost. Easier for scouts to compare prospects.

But if NAPHL really is a step below the level of play in T1EL, then it wouldn't be worth a merger at the expense of the competition level.
The issue is that there are so many leagues calling themselves AAA now it is hard to navigate the waters. There is certainly a water down effect. Right now most of the best teams are in the same leagues, but it doesnt keep costs down because there are always parents out there that want to get sold that their kid can play AA or AAA hockey when, in reality, the quality of comeptition isnt much better than town hockey that you could get for a fraction of the cost.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:14 PM
  #6
TopCityAirCapHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
The issue is that there are so many leagues calling themselves AAA now it is hard to navigate the waters. There is certainly a water down effect. Right now most of the best teams are in the same leagues, but it doesnt keep costs down because there are always parents out there that want to get sold that their kid can play AA or AAA hockey when, in reality, the quality of competition isn't much better than town hockey that you could get for a fraction of the cost.
I agree with you that the youth leagues have gotten out of control. In an ideal world, one that exists to benefit the players (and not to line owners' pockets), there would be a sweeping effort to enforce standards and eliminate the teams that are bad organizations. Unfortunately we live in a world where the bottom dollar and political is more important than creating an American hockey culture of excellence and so teams and leagues can sprout up calling themselves whatever they want- making money and making parents happy. Until this is changed youth hockey will continue to have huge levels of disparity.

KingLB- The T1EHL has the advantage with their affiliation agreement with the USHL. If this wasn't in place I have to wonder how much smaller the disparity between the T1 and the PHL would be.

TopCityAirCapHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
  #7
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 50
As edges7 mentioned there are a few teams in the AYHL that are competitive as well as in the EHL. The top teams in both of these leagues consistently beat teams which are in T1EL and HPHL.

Would be nice if it was more organized but there is so much politics involved in AAA hockey that I'm surprised any of these other leagues can survive at all.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.