HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way

Old
05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396751
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632694

Waiting to hear the terms, but I wanted to keep him as our 13th forward anyways. If it's two-way then it's probably reasonable.

Still waiting to hear news on Niki6 or MacKenzie...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 05-24-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add CBJ press release
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:55 PM
blahblah

Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.
Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.
That would require zero injuries, and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

That said, I would certainly prefer far less injuries...

Old
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
chunkbox

meh

decent move ... the only way i wanted him back was if it was a 2 way deal ... so i am ok with it ...

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Cyclones Rock

Russel is standard issue organizational depth. Would think it highly unlikely he'd break camp with the big club.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey17jp View Post
If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros.
I'm not aware of anyone here who thinks he's going to get the Jackets into the playoffs.

I would guess that many would agree that he is a good minor league player who can help out in Springfield and can fill in up here, particularly on a checking line and the PK, if needed after injuries. Good signing in my opinion.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

Good AHL player for sure, but not a good NHL player. I think the Jackets should focus more on players that can help us for the whole year. That being said, we still have a full off season ahead of us so who am I to complain about an early signing.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey17jp View Post

Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.
You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck.

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck.

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.
That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens.

The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:46 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote