HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  #1
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396751
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632694

Waiting to hear the terms, but I wanted to keep him as our 13th forward anyways. If it's two-way then it's probably reasonable.

Still waiting to hear news on Niki6 or MacKenzie...

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 05-24-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add CBJ press release
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:55 PM
  #2
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,375
vCash: 500
Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
  #3
Hipster Letestu
Registered User
 
Hipster Letestu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.
Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
  #4
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.
That would require zero injuries, and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

That said, I would certainly prefer far less injuries...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
  #5
chunkbox
Registered User
 
chunkbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Findlay , Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
meh

decent move ... the only way i wanted him back was if it was a 2 way deal ... so i am ok with it ...

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
  #6
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Russel is standard issue organizational depth. Would think it highly unlikely he'd break camp with the big club.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
  #7
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!
 
hockey17jp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
  #8
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey17jp View Post
If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros.
I'm not aware of anyone here who thinks he's going to get the Jackets into the playoffs.

I would guess that many would agree that he is a good minor league player who can help out in Springfield and can fill in up here, particularly on a checking line and the PK, if needed after injuries. Good signing in my opinion.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
  #9
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!
 
hockey17jp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Good AHL player for sure, but not a good NHL player. I think the Jackets should focus more on players that can help us for the whole year. That being said, we still have a full off season ahead of us so who am I to complain about an early signing.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
  #10
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey17jp View Post
If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros.
Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
  #11
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.
You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck.

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
  #12
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck.

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.
That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:36 AM
  #13
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens.

The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:46 AM
  #14
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.