HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCF Gm #5 5/22/12: KINGS Defeat COYOTES in OT 4-3, Win Series 4-1, WE WANT THE CUP !!

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 03:13 PM
onlyalad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
In other news...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,1456659.story

That would be awesome, but I doubt the NHL would go for it. The Winter Classic is a cash cow for the leugue, and I'm not sure they could generate as much money in SoCal.
I think this is up to NBC. If they put the Kings on and ratings are high the will tell the NHL to schedule the Kings. Until then NBC will ask for the teams in the East

Old
05-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I'm not going to trash Coyote fans, they were 10000000x more respectable than either the Blues or especially Canucks fans were.

First time in sports history that the athletes on the team were bigger sore losers than their fanbase.

Keith Yandle will be a perfect replacement for Doan as captain, he has all the same pathetic qualities as Doaner.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I don't know, I still think the major appeal to it is the winter element, something you won't get at Dodger Stadium. I think it loses a bit of it's luster if it's 80 and sunny. Plus it's going to be overshadowed by the Rose Bowl, especially if USC or UCLA (lol, I know) were to be playing in the game.

I still think the Winter Classic should be reserved for a host team and whatever team wins the Stanley Cup, that would be really cool and extra incentive and more publicity to the Cup Champ.

The Wings hosting the Stanley Cup champion Kings (knock on wood) at the Big House in front of 110k fans would be pretty damn cool and a better game than what projects to be an average to below average Toronto team.
Do you really think a Kings/Wings game could sell out the Big House? I'm not sure the Kings could sell out Dodger Stadium. I don't know that the Wings alone would sell out the Big House. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure a big part of the reason they chose the Big House over Comerica is due to the Canadian contingent.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
I'm not going to trash Coyote fans, they were 10000000x more respectable than either the Blues or especially Canucks fans were.

First time in sports history that the athletes on the team were bigger sore losers than their fanbase.

Keith Yandle will be a perfect replacement for Doan as captain, he has all the same pathetic qualities as Doaner.
I agree in that at least their fanbase attacked our team. Most others attack our population and history Canuck and Devil fans never fail to remind Kings fans about their history and not being known as a traditional hockey market. Ranger fans at least just say that the Pacific Division is the most pathetic of them all, which is a step up from attacking hockey in general in Los Angeles. I would much rather encounter "you're dirty" or "you suck" than "you're team, city, and market is irrelevant" and "you're not a true hockey fan and know little to nothing about hockey coming from California" etc...

"I think part of his game is he’s over aggressive at times, which I like. We’ll tame that. I’d rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Do you really think a Kings/Wings game could sell out the Big House? I'm not sure the Kings could sell out Dodger Stadium. I don't know that the Wings alone would sell out the Big House. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure a big part of the reason they chose the Big House over Comerica is due to the Canadian contingent.
That's a good point, and obviously the Big House at 110k or whatever they plan to get in there is going to be a lot more difficult to fill than Comerica, Wrigley or even Heinz Field was.

I think having Toronto in it is a nice safety net should Michigan be playing in the Rose Bowl. A lot of original tickets will be scooped up by Canadian fans right off the bat, and Wings/Michigan fans should have no problem selling their tickets to them on the secondary market should Michigan be playing that same day in the Rose Bowl. I am in that boat as I plan to go to the Winter Classic but would be selling should the Wolverines play in Pasadena this year. Even in the border towns like Windsor and Sarnia the majority of fans support the Leafs and will spend to be at this game.

So it could be a dilemma for the Wings/NHL if it weren't the Leafs, but this will be the only year where the game will be at such a huge facility (the biggest in the country). I know some people say Pens/Flyers at Beaver Stadium, but I don't see it in a place so far from where either team plays.

I still think it would be a cool incentive to let the Cup champ play in this game every year.

Last edited by Herby: 05-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old
05-24-2012, 03:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I don't know, I still think the major appeal to it is the winter element, something you won't get at Dodger Stadium. I think it loses a bit of it's luster if it's 80 and sunny. Plus it's going to be overshadowed by the Rose Bowl, especially if USC or UCLA (lol, I know) were to be playing in the game.
Right... I think it's far more likely we'd see LA vs. NY in NYC before we ever would see it in LA.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Right... I think it's far more likely we'd see LA vs. NY in NYC before we ever would see it in LA.
Yup

The Kings would have to be a Power House for a few years. Maybe even a Decade, to host a Winter classic.

I could see LA-NYR at (New)Yankee stadium.... That could happen soon.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Is it more likely when the Kings move to KC?

Old
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
That's a good point, and obviously the Big House at 110k or whatever they plan to get in there is going to be a lot more difficult to fill than Comerica, Wrigley or even Heinz Field was.

I think having Toronto in it is a nice safety net should Michigan be playing in the Rose Bowl. A lot of original tickets will be scooped up by Canadian fans right off the bat, and Wings/Michigan fans should have no problem selling their tickets to them on the secondary market should Michigan be playing that same day in the Rose Bowl. I am in that boat as I plan to go to the Winter Classic but would be selling should the Wolverines play in Pasadena this year. Even in the border towns like Windsor and Sarnia the majority of fans support the Leafs and will spend to be at this game.
On top of that, I'm sure plenty of people will be driving from Ohio, Indiana and Illinois just to check out the game. When I went to the first one in Buffalo, there were people from all over checking out the game including plenty of Canadians.

Did you happen to go to the Rose Bowl in 2005 against Texas? That is was probably on my top 5 of sporting events I went to even though Michigan lost. That was a crazy game. And the night before was even crazier. I was running on about an hour of sleep and I remember falling asleep on the car ride home. /memories

Old
05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
"The Coyotes defenceman was injured in overtime of Game 5 of the Western Conference final during a knee-on-knee collision with Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown."

For **** sakes, it wasn't knee-on-knee. It's really starting to **** me off that the media is still trying to make it out worse than it actually was. It was a clean hit.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Did you happen to go to the Rose Bowl in 2005 against Texas? That is was probably on my top 5 of sporting events I went to even though Michigan lost. That was a crazy game. And the night before was even crazier. I was running on about an hour of sleep and I remember falling asleep on the car ride home. /memories
Yes, I was there and it was probably the most special game for me personally. I had unbelievable seats to watch the Vince Young show. There were 8 of us from my family and we had 4 seats at the 45 and 4 other seats way up behind the end zones. We tore up 8 pieces of paper with 4 that said "good" and 4 that said "bad" and drew them from a hat. I was lucky enough to get a good seat along with my dad, uncle and cousin. My uncle had never been to a Rose Bowl before and he as crying being there (I've been spoiled and been to 8 of them), he sadly passed away suddenly a couple of months later so I was always happy we got to do that.

Matthew McConaughey was sitting right behind me and could not have been nicer, even though I was stupidly hammered most of the day.

If LA ever did get the WC it would be amazing to see it at the Rose Bowl, it really is a very special place, but unfortunately it will never happen because of the game.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:

I don't know about that, you should go check out their board...you might change your mind.

I kindly asked them to compare Brown's and Doan's suspension history and let me know who would be considered more of a 'dirty' player....that caused them to lock me out of the thread. Classy bunch.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Yes, I was there and it was probably the most special game for me personally. I had unbelievable seats to watch the Vince Young show. There were 8 of us from my family and we had 4 seats at the 45 and 4 other seats way up behind the end zones. We tore up 8 pieces of paper with 4 that said "good" and 4 that said "bad" and drew them from a hat. I was lucky enough to get a good seat along with my dad, uncle and cousin. My uncle had never been to a Rose Bowl before and he as crying being there (I've been spoiled and been to 8 of them), he sadly passed away suddenly a couple of months later so I was always happy we got to do that.

Matthew McConaughey was sitting right behind me and could not have been nicer, even though I was stupidly hammered most of the day.

If LA ever did get the WC it would be amazing to see it at the Rose Bowl, it really is a very special place, but unfortunately it will never happen because of the game.
Yeah that was a really cool game. I told the Texas fans next to me that they would win the National Championship next year because Vince Young was so good. I definitely bet on Vince Young against USC the following year and won of course. that was a very similar game too. I was sitting behind the end zone where the game winning field goal was kicked in 2005. I actually bought tickets on ebay a few days before the game for like $50 each. But I had to listen to some Michigan fan yell "run it down der troats" the whole game. I was like "i think they are running down our throats, dude". lol!

And yea, I've considered going back just to see two random teams play. It is a pretty cool place to see a game. I've only been to the Big House and the Rose Bowl for college games.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
At least the hockey writers in BOSTON get it ...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/2...home_multiline

Quote:
There is losing with grace and class, and there is losing in disgrace. Congratulations, Phoenix Coyotes, for choosing door No. 2!

In what may very well be the franchise’s final moment in Arizona, the Coyotes lost in overtime of Game 5 of the Western Conference finals to the Los Angeles Kings. There is no shame in that, as nobody’s been able to beat the Kings all postseason.

Yet, no other team chose to go out the way the Coyotes did, and for that, the Coyotes should feel shame.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Tadite

Quote:
I was at the same game. Just to be nice I think V.Young went into the sidelines just to give every single member of the Michigan team, including the band, a chance to bounce off him while he was running for yet another TD.

That was tough to watch.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
At least the hockey writers in BOSTON get it ...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/2...home_multiline
I still find it fascinating that some people still think the 'yotes are getting moved this year. New owner and a deep play-off run bought them 2 more seasons at least. That team is 1 #1 C from being a contender. I don't count this year mostly because I believe their run was lucky, too many lucky bounces.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
I still find it fascinating that some people still think the 'yotes are getting moved this year. New owner and a deep play-off run bought them 2 more seasons at least. That team is 1 #1 C from being a contender. I don't count this year mostly because I believe their run was lucky, too many lucky bounces.
They don't have a new owner yet. They announced a guy that has the wherewithal to buy the team, but no deal has been finalized.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
They don't have an Owner.

The hang up is real potential buyers (rich guys) Want to move that team. But the League wants it to stay in PHX. Real buyers are not willing to sign an agreement saying they will stay put.

So the NHL has to find a fake Buyer (someone that will just keep the team afloat). Basically coming down to ( a lot of people want to get PAID OFF) before they let the Yotes stay, or leave.

At least that is how I see it. I could be wrong.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

https://twitter.com/#!/JSportsnet
Quote:
NHL is still deciding on discipline,if any,should handed out for actions and words of 4 Coyotes after loss. Hanzal,Yandle,Smith,Doan
Interesting.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Doesn't surprise me.

Passion or not, they stained the credibility of the league and their own team....

They called out the integrity of the NHL. The league is not going to tolerate that stuff. Had Dustin Brown or any king said something like that......

I would fully expect a fine, plus some other punishment.

Hell Lombardi got 50k for just suggesting a bias in the Toronto war room.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Although I think it would be hilarious and icing on the proverbial cake if these clowns got hit with something, for the most part they ARE RIGHT about the officiating in general. It's a joke from Shanny all the way down to the linesmen.

I know we all want to give the refs the benefit of the doubt at the end of the day, plays happen in real time and it's hard to catch everything. But wow, I'm floored at the ineptitude of these guys sometimes and I think they should be called out more often.

I still want to see Smith fined just for laughs.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Is it more likely when the Kings move to KC?
I see what you did there.

Old
05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Doan regrets comments, congratulates the Kings and wishes them 'all the best':

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/podcastp...=335&iid=39669

Old
05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Mxpunk

Pretty funny response by Penner to the chirping from Vermette:

""I got chirped in line, too, for my headlock I put on (Antoine) Vermette in Game 2," Penner told LA Kings Insider. "He wanted to rehash that. I was a little surprised."

Penner said he responded: " 'I don't have time to talk, right now, about this. I've got a flight to catch.' "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19796636.html

Old
05-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Although I think it would be hilarious and icing on the proverbial cake if these clowns got hit with something, for the most part they ARE RIGHT about the officiating in general. It's a joke from Shanny all the way down to the linesmen.

I know we all want to give the refs the benefit of the doubt at the end of the day, plays happen in real time and it's hard to catch everything. But wow, I'm floored at the ineptitude of these guys sometimes and I think they should be called out more often.

I still want to see Smith fined just for laughs.
NO ... they are NOT right ... as they didn't merely say the officiating was poor ... they went too far and said that the Officials and thus NHL were biased and called the game for the Kings and against the Coyotes claiming things like ...
"Refs wear same colors as Kings, but they didn't have to play for them tonight ..."

watch = http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip684457#clip686017

These guys approached and bemoaned so much to the Refs and linesmen at the end of the game that Smith & Doan got Game Misconducts AFTER the game was over.

Smith even throws his goalie stick at the Ref's ... http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1194799

Not that it would even effect them, but the NHL should at least fine each player the max $2,500 fine to send the message that this is unexceptable and the players, coaches, GM's and ownership are accountable for their actions.

Closed Thread