HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team USA roster predictions in Sochi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
  #26
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,555
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
that would suck ass. the best players should be there
It would kinda suck, but the games are gonna be while I'm asleep anyways so it won't bother me that much.

I'd rather the NHL start their own World Cup in the summer every 4 years. Won't interfere with the season, games can all be played in North America to guarantee they're actually at watchable times, and the league profits, which they don't off the Olympics.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  #27
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,364
vCash: 10592
Agreed, I hate the players going over there in season. The games are fun to watch but look at what happened to Ottawa in 06, had a great team, Hasek in net having a great year, he gets hurt in the Olympics, they turn to Emery and he blows the season for them in the playoffs.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
  #28
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
yeah i guess. there are stilll a good amount of players who will be there for sure or very likely be there, barring injury.

kane, parise, pavelski, stastny, suter, j. johnson, e. johnson, quick, miller, ryan, kesler, kessel, brown, callahan, backes

don't see the big deal with making some predictions. 18 months isn't that far off

maybe move the thread to the international boards?
I don't have a problem with the thread. But don't be surprised if other people do.

For the record, I think both Stasny and Kesler could find themselves off of the Olympic team. I think their play is heading in a general downwards direction as of this seasin

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  #29
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I don't have a problem with the thread. But don't be surprised if other people do.

For the record, I think both Stasny and Kesler could find themselves off of the Olympic team. I think their play is heading in a general downwards direction as of this seasin
Kesler is probably still worth having in a defensive role where he's not asked to carry the offense of a line. Plus, all those Euro refs will probably fall for his flopping, so he's got that going for him.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
  #30
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,123
vCash: 500
Greiss
Endras
Kotschnew

Ehrhoff - Seidenberg
Sulzer - Holzer
Goc - Schuberg

Sturm - Goc - Müller
Gogulla - Ullmann - Reimer
??? - Barta - Greilinger
Kühnhackl - Hospelt - Furchner


don't know about the forwards and if Germany will win it's qualifying tourney

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:19 PM
  #31
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
No on Byfuglien unless he's playing forward.
some of you guys are crazy if you think Buff doesnt make this team. pure offense from the point, this isnt an 82 game season, its a short tourney and he doesnt need to log over 20 minutes a night.

at this point there isnt a chance in hell he doesnt make team USA


Last edited by AmericanDream: 05-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:26 PM
  #32
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,391
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
some of you guys are crazy if you think Buff doesnt make this team. pure offensive from the point, this isnt an 82 game season, its a short tourney and he doesnt need to log over 20 minutes a night.

at this point there isnt a chance in hell he doesnt make team USA
Him trying to play defense is what I'm worried about. He plays like **** against Carolina's and Toronto's first line. Imagine what he'll do against Team freaking Canada

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
  #33
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Him trying to play defense is what I'm worried about. He plays like **** against Carolina's and Toronto's first line. Imagine what he'll do against Team freaking Canada
but as I said, he has a role and it is defined.

he doesnt need to log 20 minutes against the top lines as his time can be sheltered.

when you have guys like Suter, McDonagh, Carlson, Orpik, J.Johnson, Yandle, etc infront of him, his role is a different role and it is one that USA Hockey will definitely need and covet.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:48 PM
  #34
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Parise Stastny Kane
Ryan Pavelski Callahan
Brown Kesler Kessel
Malone Backes Okposo/Oshie

Pacioretty, Pominville, JVR, Langenbrunner



Suter E. Johnson
Orpik J. Johnson
Yandle MdDonagh

Whitney, Martin, Carlson, Gleason, Komisarek, Byfuglien

lots of choices at D



Quick
Miller
Thomas

Howard, Anderson



What do you think the roster should look like? Who should be moved around? And who should be there that isn't and who shouldn't be there?
I think USA Hockey will be coming into another "greatest" generation here like they did with the guys that pretty much formed the 91 Canada Cup to 02 Salt Lake City teams..

The US is still a bit behind Canada in highend skilled forwards, but I will easily stack up the US defense against Canadas as well as claim that the US goaltenders are better then Canada as well..

I think the US needs to bring a gritty and fast team to Sochi. I have seen posts saying that Buff or Orpik wont make this squad, but I believe that is dead wrong and regardless of the bigice, these guys are needed. It doesnt matter how big the ice is when you have players crashing infront of your goalie and noone capable of moving them...which Buff and Opik can. Also not sure if many have really watched Buff or Orpik skate, for bigger players I think they will do fine out there as they skate above the norm for their size. Komisarek on the other hand has no place on this team.

Here would be my early 2014 US team if the tourney was to start right now....in a years time it will likely look a bit different...


Forwards

Zach Parise - A
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Ryan Callahan - A
Dustin Brown
Max Pacioretty
David Backes
Paul Stastny
Kyle Okposo
T.J Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Joe Pavelski
Phile Kessel



Defense

Jack "Mother ****ing" Johnson - C
Ryan Suter
Brooks Orpik
Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh
John Carlson
Dustin Byfuglien
Justin Faulk


Goalies

Ryan Miller
Jon Quick
Jimmy Howard


Lines

Parise - Kesler - Kane - Kesler is the best US center we have period...brings size
Ryan - Stastny - Pacioretty - top line from the US at the WC, keep them together
Okposo - Pavelski - Kessel - great energy line, with scoring ability, I love this line
Brown - Backes - Callahan - this is the best line on any country, just CRUNCH!!
Oshie

J. Johnson - McDonagh - Perfect balance of offense to defense pairing
Suter - Orpik - I love this pair as well, Orpik and Suter top shutdown
Yandle - Carlson - size and skill here, can move the puck up in a second
Byfuglien - plays a defined role and hammers home the goals

extra - Faulk

Miller - #1 man until proven otherwise, end of story
Quick - could be our next Miller, but I dont know if he gets it yet
Howard - I take him over Thomas because of the future and Timmy will be 40 by then.


Overall some tough calls, but this squad has size, skill, and balance. Dont let the big ice fool you, you still need size to protect your net. Anyone arguing against Orpik must then say Chara should be gone from Slovakia...there is a place for these guys on the big ice, you just can only have 1 or 2 of them at most.

Also Justin Faulk is legit....kid makes this team over Shattenkirk, Fowler, Bogosian, Whitney, Wisniewski, Carle, Goligoski, McBain, Petry, etc... just a wicked shot, pass, and skater...had an awesome WC tournament

this US squad will be such an energy squad with Oshie, Okposo, Callahan, Backes, Ryan, Brown, Pacioretty....these dudes love to hit and play hard

I think the US can be in the Gold medal game again because their defense is strong, their goaltending is arguably the best overall, and their offense has enough goal scorers and playmakers to get leads... will be fun to see though the dreaded non North American soil will always be at play for the US and Canada

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
  #35
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,391
vCash: 1625
I'm gonna say you're wrong on Faulk

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
  #36
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I'm gonna say you're wrong on Faulk
thats fine.

if we made this list last year, i bet 90 out of 100 lists didnt have Ryan McDonagh on this squad either....now, every list will have him.

Justin Faulk will be this years Ryan McDonagh.

if you watched the WC, Faulk was simply amazing most games. I simply cannot see him not making this team as long as he continues to learn the game and become a solid 2 way player...as it stands, he would man either of the top 2 power play units for the US, and that is crazy with the amount of talent the US has at its disposal.

his shot is just flipping wicked. one of the best skaters on the team, and has excellent vision, very little to not love about Faulk as a rookie right now. The dreaded sophmore slump could creep in, but he still has time to get out of it (if that happens) and regain his place on this squad..

but remember...BIGGER ICE! A kid like Faulk is perfect for the bigger ice, and he has proved that already with his play at the WC

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
  #37
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,391
vCash: 1625
I just don't see how he beats out Shattenkirk.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
  #38
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I just don't see how he beats out Shattenkirk.
Shatty is a great player no doubt, and he is right there with Faulk...

but Faulk has the better blast and has the better wheels imo... I am going for the homerun here, and I feel Faulk is going to be a homerun type player..either way, Shatty/Faulk make this squad as a 7th-8th dman imo....so their role isnt going to be gigantic unless a ton of injuries happen and the US needs to go with these guys in top 4 roles..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:06 PM
  #39
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think USA Hockey will be coming into another "greatest" generation here like they did with the guys that pretty much formed the 91 Canada Cup to 02 Salt Lake City teams..

The US is still a bit behind Canada in highend skilled forwards, but I will easily stack up the US defense against Canadas as well as claim that the US goaltenders are better then Canada as well..

I think the US needs to bring a gritty and fast team to Sochi. I have seen posts saying that Buff or Orpik wont make this squad, but I believe that is dead wrong and regardless of the bigice, these guys are needed. It doesnt matter how big the ice is when you have players crashing infront of your goalie and noone capable of moving them...which Buff and Opik can. Also not sure if many have really watched Buff or Orpik skate, for bigger players I think they will do fine out there as they skate above the norm for their size. Komisarek on the other hand has no place on this team.

Here would be my early 2014 US team if the tourney was to start right now....in a years time it will likely look a bit different...


Forwards

Zach Parise - A
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Ryan Callahan - A
Dustin Brown
Max Pacioretty
David Backes
Paul Stastny
Kyle Okposo
T.J Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Joe Pavelski
Phile Kessel



Defense

Jack "Mother ****ing" Johnson - C
Ryan Suter
Brooks Orpik
Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh
John Carlson
Dustin Byfuglien
Justin Faulk


Goalies

Ryan Miller
Jon Quick
Jimmy Howard


Lines

Parise - Kesler - Kane - Kesler is the best US center we have period...brings size
Ryan - Stastny - Pacioretty - top line from the US at the WC, keep them together
Okposo - Pavelski - Kessel - great energy line, with scoring ability, I love this line
Brown - Backes - Callahan - this is the best line on any country, just CRUNCH!!
Oshie

J. Johnson - McDonagh - Perfect balance of offense to defense pairing
Suter - Orpik - I love this pair as well, Orpik and Suter top shutdown
Yandle - Carlson - size and skill here, can move the puck up in a second
Byfuglien - plays a defined role and hammers home the goals

extra - Faulk

Miller - #1 man until proven otherwise, end of story
Quick - could be our next Miller, but I dont know if he gets it yet
Howard - I take him over Thomas because of the future and Timmy will be 40 by then.


Overall some tough calls, but this squad has size, skill, and balance. Dont let the big ice fool you, you still need size to protect your net. Anyone arguing against Orpik must then say Chara should be gone from Slovakia...there is a place for these guys on the big ice, you just can only have 1 or 2 of them at most.

Also Justin Faulk is legit....kid makes this team over Shattenkirk, Fowler, Bogosian, Whitney, Wisniewski, Carle, Goligoski, McBain, Petry, etc... just a wicked shot, pass, and skater...had an awesome WC tournament

this US squad will be such an energy squad with Oshie, Okposo, Callahan, Backes, Ryan, Brown, Pacioretty....these dudes love to hit and play hard

I think the US can be in the Gold medal game again because their defense is strong, their goaltending is arguably the best overall, and their offense has enough goal scorers and playmakers to get leads... will be fun to see though the dreaded non North American soil will always be at play for the US and Canada
solid lineup. good to see someone else likes okposo. i think erik johnson will be there though on D. but maybe not. he played well in the last olympics

like orpik and buff as well. orpik is a beast, even with the bigger ice and buff is so versatile. i like him as the #7 d-man. i think quick will be the number 1, but goalies are harder to predict

USA hockey is lookin good

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  #40
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I don't have a problem with the thread. But don't be surprised if other people do.

For the record, I think both Stasny and Kesler could find themselves off of the Olympic team. I think their play is heading in a general downwards direction as of this seasin
i think they'll both be there for sure. i don't see very many options better at center than kesler or stasny. we're stacked with wingers, but not as much at center. hopefully they'll pick it up before the tournament

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:05 PM
  #41
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

Forwards

Zach Parise - A
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Ryan Callahan - A
Dustin Brown
Max Pacioretty
David Backes
Paul Stastny
Kyle Okposo
T.J Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Joe Pavelski
Phile Kessel



Defense

Jack "Mother ****ing" Johnson - C
Ryan Suter
Brooks Orpik
Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh
John Carlson
Dustin Byfuglien
Justin Faulk


Goalies

Ryan Miller
Jon Quick
Jimmy Howard
Not a bad lineup, but does Jack Johnson really have a shot at being Captain of this team? I know he was the Captain this year at the Worlds (and I think in 2010 as well), but does he really beat out Brown, Parise, or Callahan who all have experience as Captains of their NHL teams and one of whom will have Captained a Stanley Cup winner?

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
  #42
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Not a bad lineup, but does Jack Johnson really have a shot at being Captain of this team? I know he was the Captain this year at the Worlds (and I think in 2010 as well), but does he really beat out Brown, Parise, or Callahan who all have experience as Captains of their NHL teams and one of whom will have Captained a Stanley Cup winner?
this guy bleeds USA Hockey. there is no other player who answers the call more then Jack...and there is no other player who will take a puck in the teeth for USA Hockey then JJ.

he has answered the call to play in the World Championships 5 straight years, and twice in the last 3 years as captain. I simply cannot see another player more deserving of being a captain for the US in 2014 then the guy who has shown up and represented this country as much and with as much passion and pride as Jack "mother ****ing" Johnson has.

he easily has my vote....though your point is correct, it will likely go to a Parise or Callahan, USA Hockey should just hand him the C now and say thank you for your service all these years

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:37 AM
  #43
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
some of you guys are crazy if you think Buff doesnt make this team. pure offense from the point, this isnt an 82 game season, its a short tourney and he doesnt need to log over 20 minutes a night.

at this point there isnt a chance in hell he doesnt make team USA
like you are crazy when you don't even take EJ into your considerations.

Suter, Johnson, Johnson, Yandle, McDonough, Carlson will get a spot before Buff
Orpik or Fowler may get a spot over Buff too.

Buff is far away from a sure spot

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
  #44
H a w k s
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Also that bum Leddy probably gets in before Buff.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  #45
H a w k s
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Not a bad lineup, but does Jack Johnson really have a shot at being Captain of this team? I know he was the Captain this year at the Worlds (and I think in 2010 as well), but does he really beat out Brown, Parise, or Callahan who all have experience as Captains of their NHL teams and one of whom will have Captained a Stanley Cup winner?
I'd even throw Kesler in that mix. Ahead of Johnson

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
  #46
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,123
vCash: 500
agree. I don't see JJ getting named team captain

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
  #47
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,822
vCash: 500
Buff is really getting underrated. The guy has 32 goals and 106 points from the point over the past 2 seasons and he has the biggest shot of any US Dman.. unless he nose dives, I too find it hard to believe he won't make the team.

Is he the best defender? No, but as has already been pointed out he'd be playing limited minutes.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:59 PM
  #48
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
like you are crazy when you don't even take EJ into your considerations.

Suter, Johnson, Johnson, Yandle, McDonough, Carlson will get a spot before Buff
Orpik or Fowler may get a spot over Buff too.

Buff is far away from a sure spot
EJ has no shot in hell of making the team if the games started right now as I stated. simply just not cutting it. in 2 years he could rebound back up which I hope because he is a good kid, but others have passed him by....

with what is available to the US, Buff is pretty close to a lock in making this team as long as he doesnt kill anyone and answers the call at next years WC.... nothing else like him for the US....or anyone for that matter

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:02 AM
  #49
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H a w k s View Post
I'd even throw Kesler in that mix. Ahead of Johnson
Kesler isnt ahead of JJ...

you guys are really missing the point of JJ and how much in love he is with USA Hockey and they are with him...

the only players that could get the C over him in 2014 imo are Parise, Callahan, and Backes....outside of that, I think JJ is far ahead of the rest of the guys even captain Dustin Brown of the Kings....

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:30 AM
  #50
BBH
34|38|61|10|13
 
BBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, US of A
Country: United States
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Pavelski - Callahan
Brown - Stastny - Kessel
Pominville - Backes - Okposo/Oshie

J. Johnson - Suter
E. Johnson - Carlsson
Fowler - Yandle/Byfuglien

Quick
Howard
Miller

Captains? Eeeh....

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.