HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What are your Power Play fix-em ideas

Old
05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
losingsand

vCash: 500
What are your Power Play fix-em ideas

Our inability to score on the PP luckily hasn't bitten us in the butt, And yes i know Boston's PP last year was just as bad and they won the cup... However, I don't feel good moving forward without making our opponents pay the price. Bottom line: we have to improve in this area.

Power Plays are fun to discuss because it involves personnel, strategies, and different philosophies.

here are my PowerPlay Suggestions:
1. Kopitar Richards Carter unit has not looked comfortable out there... let's split em up
2. ROLL the Forward the lines as is on the PP units
unit 1 Brown / Kopitar / Williams
unit 2 Penner / Richards / Carter
unit 3 King / Stoll / Lewis (roll these guys out there every once in awhile for variety sake)
2a. This means PENNER gets power play time. (which we have yet to try much of in these playoffs)
3. More Movement and Interchanging positions
4. More One touch passes
5. More shots for Martinez, because he's got a knack for getting his shot through.

Alright armchair coaches, what would you do?

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:46 PM
ru4reals

The one solution that is a guarantee success is canning Jamie Kompon!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:59 PM
damacles1156

Do be honest everyone's Power play is pretty sub par this playoff's.

It's just too easy for teams to create that Box, and block shots. The Rangers and the Devils are not exactly lighting it up ether.

Th Devils PK is not that great ether; but the Rangers even have trouble getting shots through or moving the puck around.

Teams are getting smarter about Power plays, is much easier to stay in your shooting lane(and stay as a four man box). You force the PP to take shots that 80 to 90 percent of the time won't reach the net.

It's win PK's get drawn out of that box, the PP starts to do damage. The problem is Pk'er's are not coming out of that Box.

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-24-2012 at 07:08 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:21 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Try again next season. It's looked like crap for 96 games. It ain't changing now.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd like to see them utilize the umbrella formation more. Kopi and Jack had nice chemistry going there. Kopi was still effective when they broke it out after the trade.

Would certainly force them to get more pucks in from the top. Also take advantage of the mobility of their point guys, get them switching positions

05-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Fishhead

The Powerplay can be better, but I think it has to do with the fact that we played some very solid defensive teams with exceptional goalies. Movement is much better on the PP lately and they look a lot more decisive. The teams the Kings have played have had exceptional penalty kills over the season and have gotten great goaltending.

As far as special teams, the PK is far more important than the PP. If the Kings' continue to own shorthanded, they are going to be tough to beat. When you get to the final teams, they are all usually very good on the PK. The conference finalists were all in the top 8 in PK. The best PP of the bunch was New Jersey at #14, followed by the Kings at #17. It's not so much about scoring on the PP, it's about momentum. If you can control the play and wear the other team down a bit, even if you don't score it has done its job.

Surprisingly, New Jersey has the worst PK of the teams left in the playoffs after being #1 in the regular season. I chalk this up to them having the weakest goalie of the 4 finalists. This is the main reason I prefer them in the finals. First, Brodeur is the best goalie ever in my opinion, but is noticeably below his level of a few years ago. Second, the Rangers are a shot blocking nightmare. The Kings are already relentless on the forecheck, if they can sneak a couple powerplay goals in... well... lets just say I like their chances.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Duc620

Faster decisions with puck. Less time on stick.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Movement movement movement. It's so static, very easy to defend. They need to start breaking down the box, attacking it, forcing the PKers to react to what the Kings are doing, simply sliding it back and forth to the waiting for Doughty or Kopitar to snipe from outside the circles is not going to work, it hasn't for 96 games as Tony says, it won't in the Finals. Frusterating to watch them standing still all the time waiting for lanes rather than attacking MAKING lanes. They attack in every other part of the game (forecheck, d-zone, n-zone, PK everywhere) except they play passive on the PP. Why?

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM
redcard

Put Bernie and Luc out there.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Pucknut50

Well I think first is stop blaming Jamie Kompon he does not play. Second do not blame the PP team as an unit. We need to attack individuals because when we do that they tend to prove us wrong and score. So here it goes. I think we should take Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter, Doughty, Mitchell, Martinez, off the PP unit! That should do it we net 2 PP goals in game #1.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Just shoot, since they have 0 set plays, i dont understand what they expect to happen by passing. They should set a themselves a rule of no more than 3 passes before a shot

Put Brown infront of the net on 1 unit, Penner on the other, and that should at least be a 10% pp

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

What's wrong with the Power Play ? it give's me a couple minutes to run off to the bathroom while I know nothing will be happening so I don't miss anything

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
What's wrong with the Power Play ? it give's me a couple minutes to run off to the bathroom while I know nothing will be happening so I don't miss anything
It's so sad that this is actually true. I use PPs to put ice in my drink, grab a snack, change clothes, etc etc

Pretend it's a penalty kill. 5th guy dances in front of the goalie. Fix'd.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Yes, and move the legs...Nick Nickson said this, after I believe game 3 or 4 of the Phoenix series.

I noticed the Kings did not heed his advice for game 5. They were standing around again, making it very easy for the Phoenix defenders to stand around too, waiting on the Kings.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It's so sad that this is actually true. I use PPs to put ice in my drink, grab a snack, change clothes, etc etc

Pretend it's a penalty kill. 5th guy dances in front of the goalie. Fix'd.
Yeah, bottom line, I tell my son that at least it runs another two minutes off the clock where the other team is basically not going to score.*

*Although it was interesting to note that Phoenix was very aggressive on the PK in game 5...clearly, they took a page out of the Kings playbook and wanted to get a shorty of their own.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Fishhead

Not so fun fact of the day:

Scoring only -

Kings' PP - 8.1% (6g, 74 attempts)
Kings' PK - 8.7% (5g, 57 attempts).

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
This. Move the puck and move the feet. Too many stationary plays.

Oh, and stop looking for the perfect play, especially on home ice.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
SLang

I also think the 5 on 5 forward lines should be held together on the PP as well. These guys have chemistry on each of their respective lines. To split them up on the PP, when the PP is obviously not working (but 5v5 is), seems counter-intuitive.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:08 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

We need to be making faster movements with the puck. It's what Detroit does great, cycling the puck between players (not along the board) at a higher rate of speed with several players in motion. With guys like Voynov, Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, etc. there's no reason we can't do that.

So, in a nutshell, fire Kompon.

Since that won't happe this year (and if we win the cup, next year either) I suggest for at least Game 1, just rewarding the best players on the ice. Put Drew and Willie at the points and Fraser, Richardson, etc, whoever are the hardest working players on the team upfront. Reward them for their efforts, it's not like they can be much worse and if we're going to have the 'shot it from the point' mentality, you might as well put forwards out there who will regularly actually stand in front of the net. Guys liek Penner, Brown, etc, as good as they have been, haven't been doing that regularly enough IMO. They prefer to try and time it and get to the ront of the net at the same time as the shot, I'd rather have someone parked there already.

Something tells me Fraser would come up smiling if the puck went in off his face at 100 mph. He'll take the beating.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Bandit

Doughty to the bench, anyone else to the point.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Move the rubber quicker then the play will happen.... maybe not according to her but...if you want to get one quicky ehh quickly.

Seriously they are way too slow with the puck.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
SuperAlmeida

Easy! Set up Kopitar with Brown and Penner in front of the goalie!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Perro

Gagne is the answer
Seriously though.
1st unit:
Kopitar, Brown, Penner, Stoll, Doughty.
Let stoll win the face off than have him move to the point with Doughty. Park Penner's ass in front of the net and have Stoll and Doughty launch shots looking for a screen. Brown and Kopitar are great on the boards and need to try and find rebounds.

2nd unit:
Carter, Richards, Williams, Voynov, Mitchell
Philly forwards unite!!!

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Doughty to the bench, anyone else to the point.
I would normally agree with this, but I think the kid can get it based on his performance in Game 5 against Phoenix.

Darryl needs to show him those shots by him from the point that resulted in goals over and over again.

Also like Sutter says, if the shooting lanes are blocked you gotta get quick shots, shooting for sticks that are off to the sides of the net to get tips. Forwards have to do their part as well and be there with their sticks available.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
bobafettish*

Giroux

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote