HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Snus in canada... do you do it?

Old
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
SweYote

vCash: 500
Snus is possibly the most disgusting thing on earth. I thank God that females rarely do it.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
beeker16

How popular is it in Sweden?
Same as coming to the states and seeing smokers in a bar?

I'm an ex-smoker who smoked 2 packs a week for 5+ years.
I miss it. Especially those Camel Izmir Stingers when they were available - it was my dessert cigarette.

I went to a focus group and learned more about snus to the point I wanted to try it. The samples I got were the real Swedish type and had warnings all over the packaging - "THIS PRODUCT CAN CAUSE CANCER," "THIS PRODUCT CAN CAUSE GUM DISEASE" etc.

Basically a few more direct warnings than any cigarette box would have. The manner in which they presented it on the box made me throw it out instead.

As for the Swedes here and non-tobacco users wondering,

There are two types of snus currently available in the US.
The first commercially available with wide distribution and marketing was from the major tobacco companies such as Marlboro and Camel.

Much like American Macrobrew beer, these are low quality, shoddy products that are mass produced for the purpose of maximizing profit per package at the expense of quality. You will see this snus at gas stations and stores right next to the cigarettes and chewing tobacco stored on a shelf at room temperature.

The REAL snus is imported from Sweden and is manufactured in a different way. It is much more flavorful and higher quality when compared to the Camel/Marlboro types and is in small refrigerators usually behind or under the counter. These are not available everywhere and are not heavily marketed. It's like Budwesier versus Breckenridge Brewery - which have most people heard of yet which is better quality?

I'll probably give it another try in the future.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:52 AM
beeker16

been thinking about izmir stingers the past 10 minutes.

so depressed now.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
Do Finns have to import from Sweden?
Many do.

Many "kiosker" (wtf is that in english? ) here sell it unofficially/ illegally.

Don't use it anymore. And one thing I must say is that it's harder to get rid of than cigarettes.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:51 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
Very popular compared to other countries obviously. However, it's one of those things that are consumed in extremely different quantities depending on which demographic group you are looking at. Among males in smaller towns you will likely find that the majority use it regularly while amongst females in bigger cities I don't think you would find a single user.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
Same as coming to the states and seeing smokers in a bar?

I'm an ex-smoker who smoked 2 packs a week for 5+ years.
I miss it. Especially those Camel Izmir Stingers when they were available - it was my dessert cigarette.

I went to a focus group and learned more about snus to the point I wanted to try it. The samples I got were the real Swedish type and had warnings all over the packaging - "THIS PRODUCT CAN CAUSE CANCER," "THIS PRODUCT CAN CAUSE GUM DISEASE" etc.

Basically a few more direct warnings than any cigarette box would have. The manner in which they presented it on the box made me throw it out instead.

As for the Swedes here and non-tobacco users wondering,

There are two types of snus currently available in the US.
The first commercially available with wide distribution and marketing was from the major tobacco companies such as Marlboro and Camel.

Much like American Macrobrew beer, these are low quality, shoddy products that are mass produced for the purpose of maximizing profit per package at the expense of quality. You will see this snus at gas stations and stores right next to the cigarettes and chewing tobacco stored on a shelf at room temperature.

The REAL snus is imported from Sweden and is manufactured in a different way. It is much more flavorful and higher quality when compared to the Camel/Marlboro types and is in small refrigerators usually behind or under the counter. These are not available everywhere and are not heavily marketed. It's like Budwesier versus Breckenridge Brewery - which have most people heard of yet which is better quality?

I'll probably give it another try in the future.
That's just a European tobacco product thing, not a snus thing. Cigarette packs are covered in warnings taking up like 50% of the pack, always very direct in that manner and often with pictures, in Europe.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:12 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
That's just a European tobacco product thing, not a snus thing. Cigarette packs are covered in warnings taking up like 50% of the pack, always very direct in that manner and often with pictures, in Europe.
This. Here's an example:

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
*bump*

Nice topic, I do snus(well I'm from Sweden I don't really have a choice )

The reason for the bump is that i wonder if snus have entered the market or is it just not catching on in NA?
It's not really catching on in NA persay. Brands like camel, marlboro and skoal have released their own versions of Snus although they are really crappy compared to the snus you get from sweeden and none of them are loose (all just portions).

General has released a line of products that can be found at a few tobacco shops in the US but they don't really sell that well.

I used to snus a couple of years ago and would order online. Skruf was my favorite, but getting snus from Sweeden is so damn expensive now becuse of the extra taxes from the PACT act, it's almost not even worth it. If I placed a $60 order, the taxes would be almost $20 and the shipping would be another $15.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:48 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Nope I've never used snus.

I smoke though.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

What a revolting habit.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Spinkis

Olympics with some beers and of course snus.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:52 AM
shootingrubber

Never smoked or tried chewing tobacco or whatever SNUS is ever in my entire life.

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
*bump*

This thread sparked my interest when I stumbled upon it, so I went to this specialty tobacco store in West Edmonton Mall and bought myself a little package of that original General snus from Sweden. They kept it in a fridge even. Anyway, it's really not that overpowering. You just toss it under your lip and leave it there for 30 minutes or however long you want it, and you don't have to spit which is handy if you're doing it on the bus or something. Plus, the levels of carcinogens like nitrosamines are super, super low (0.0016mg per pouch). I don't know if this stuff indeed causes cancer, but for certain it's about a hundred times better for you than smoking cigarettes.

For what it's worth, I've tried smoking and it was just disgusting. This tastes nothing like it, it has a pleasant citrus taste.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

It's actually a bit ironic that this thread gets bumped right now as there was some news during the week suggesting that the EU is leaning towards killing off Swedish snus completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Very popular compared to other countries obviously. However, it's one of those things that are consumed in extremely different quantities depending on which demographic group you are looking at. Among males in smaller towns you will likely find that the majority use it regularly while amongst females in bigger cities I don't think you would find a single user.
I worked for a while with a young girl who had become a snus-user after our co-workers introduced her to it. Didn't know her too well but she seemed like a pretty normal city-girl otherwise, certainly wasn't the uncivilized cave troll you typically think of when you hear about a female snus-user.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
It's actually a bit ironic that this thread gets bumped right now as there was some news during the week suggesting that the EU is leaning towards killing off Swedish snus completely.
You mean stop selling it completely? I can't really understand why. Like, I'm from Ukraine (not EU but I'm sure all of Eastern Europe is similar in this regard) and literally everyone I knew there save for 10 people smoke, and their health is terrible. This seems like a better alternative, so why not sell it?

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Dipping tobacco has become really popular where i live. Most kids that play hockey between ages 15-18 pack dips where im from. not just hockey kids of course, but they seem to be the ones who do it most. in the locker room, at school, outside, at parties, everywhere. kinda gross.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:57 AM
nudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

I worked for a while with a young girl who had become a snus-user after our co-workers introduced her to it. Didn't know her too well but she seemed like a pretty normal city-girl otherwise, certainly wasn't the uncivilized cave troll you typically think of when you hear about a female snus-user.
Yea my experience as well, in my uni class there is around 120 students (ish 50/50 male/female) and I as far as i know 4-5 girls do it regulary.. and no def no cave trolls :p

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Does anyone know if Snuff, not snus, goes bad? I've got a ceramic bottle of Poschl Schmalzler Snuff that has got to be at least 30 years old.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Does anyone know if Snuff, not snus, goes bad? I've got a ceramic bottle of Poschl Schmalzler Snuff that has got to be at least 30 years old.
I'd imagine it would eventually go stale, if it's been opened already... and dry out.

Not sure why you'd even want to mess around with that, given how cheap it can be bought...

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
Dipping tobacco has become really popular where i live. Most kids that play hockey between ages 15-18 pack dips where im from. not just hockey kids of course, but they seem to be the ones who do it most. in the locker room, at school, outside, at parties, everywhere. kinda gross.
Same here. In my town, the 15-20 demographic have an extremely high amount of kids who pack lips.