HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

McKeen's: "Mtl, Stl and Chi, best 2007 draft"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2012, 11:46 PM
  #51
janecky
Registered User
 
janecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
pretty damn good list if you ask me. Montreal won the draft followed by STL and CHI.

CHI
Patrick Kane
Bill Sweat
Akim Aliu
Montreal and St. Louis made out like bandits, but Chicago's selections don't qualify as better than many other teams relative to where they picked. Picking Kane 1st overall is hardly an achievement in itself, and Sweatt and Aliu have less than 10 NHL games between them with the latter getting regularly sent to the ECHL. Fluking a couple of goals in the last two games after Calgary called him up means nothing. Many, many teams made more impressive selections after the first round. Nashville took Spaling two picks after Aliu, LA took Simmonds a couple of picks after that, etc.

So more realistically it's:
CHI
Patrick Kane

Chicago did an amazing job of shooting fish in a barrel. Truly remarkable. Almost miraculous.

For an easy overview: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:22 AM
  #52
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Montreal and St. Louis made out like bandits, but Chicago's selections don't qualify as better than many other teams relative to where they picked. Picking Kane 1st overall is hardly an achievement in itself, and Sweatt and Aliu have less than 10 NHL games between them with the latter getting regularly sent to the ECHL. Fluking a couple of goals in the last two games after Calgary called him up means nothing. Many, many teams made more impressive selections after the first round. Nashville took Spaling two picks after Aliu, LA took Simmonds a couple of picks after that, etc.

So more realistically it's:
CHI
Patrick Kane

Chicago did an amazing job of shooting fish in a barrel. Truly remarkable. Almost miraculous.

For an easy overview: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html
Yeah Dale Tallon didn't draft great for the Hawks. Kane and Toews were all that really stands out and those were the 1st and 3rd selections in the draft.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:23 AM
  #53
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Not a fan of Montreal, but their top 20 turned out lots of NHLers.
#1 - Carey Price (93.03% of the votes)
#2 - Andrei Kostitsyn (71.64%)
#3 - Ryan Mcdonagh (28.20%)
#4 - Kyle Chipchura (35.35%)
#5 - Jaroslav Halak (36.61%)
#6 - David Fisher (27.74%)
#7 - Sergei Kostitsyn (25.12%)
#8 - Mikhail Grabovski (39.57%)
#9 - Max Pacioretty (43.75%)
#10 - Ben Maxwell (28.72%)
#11 - Alexei Emelin (37.17%)
#12 - Pavel Valentenko (55.69% of the votes)
#13 - Maxim Lapierre (38.71%)
#14 - Ryan O'byrne (60.90%)
#15 - Matt D'Agostini (41.12%)
#16 - Ryan White (45.68%)
#17 - P.K. Subban (45.03%)
#18 - Mathieu Carle (74.81%)
#19 - Corey Locke (22.47%)
#20 - Olivier Fortier (23.08%)
How do you have a prospect pool like that and 5 years later be picking 3rd in the draft? Great work by Montreal scouting. Montreal management? Not so much. Hopefully Bergs turns it around there.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
  #54
TK 421
Donut Squad
 
TK 421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Montreal and St. Louis made out like bandits, but Chicago's selections don't qualify as better than many other teams relative to where they picked. Picking Kane 1st overall is hardly an achievement in itself, and Sweatt and Aliu have less than 10 NHL games between them with the latter getting regularly sent to the ECHL. Fluking a couple of goals in the last two games after Calgary called him up means nothing. Many, many teams made more impressive selections after the first round. Nashville took Spaling two picks after Aliu, LA took Simmonds a couple of picks after that, etc.

So more realistically it's:
CHI
Patrick Kane

Chicago did an amazing job of shooting fish in a barrel. Truly remarkable. Almost miraculous.

For an easy overview: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html
The Blues essentially did the same as Chicago with 3 1st round picks accounting for most of the love they get from the 2007 draft. Granted they did snag Perron as an overager at 26th, but I'd say this is the Habs in a walk.


Last edited by TK 421: 05-25-2012 at 12:36 AM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
  #55
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,177
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
How do you have a prospect pool like that and 5 years later be picking 3rd in the draft? Great work by Montreal scouting. Montreal management? Not so much. Hopefully Bergs turns it around there.
Well said. Asset management has been terrible. Definitely not the first time its been said and the last but it all starts with the Gomez trade. Giving away McDonagh was criminal.

The Grabovski&Sergei Kostitsyn giveaways were shameful too. I wouldn't consider them building blocks of a successful franchise but the only asset left from their trades is very average prospect Greg Pateryn. I won't start about Lapierre... What did we get for him, a fifth and Festerling? Come on!

Other than prospect the wanton trading of picks for players that were never kept is shameful too. We traded a 2nd for Lang, a 2nd for Schneider, a 2nd for Moore, a 1st and a 2nd for Tanguay, a 2nd for Wisniewski. None of them were kept even tho they all played key roles after being acquired. Not bad trades, some were even great but again horrible asset management afterwards.

I'm just glad Gauthier and Gainey are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421
The Blues essentially did the same as Chicago with 3 1st round picks accounting for most of the love they get from the 2007 draft. Granted they did snag Perron as an overager at 26th, but I'd say this is the Habs in a walk.
I think Eller was a good pick too but he really needs to break out soon. Its a bit of a mystery why he doesn't use his linemates more. Sure they usually suck since he's stuck on the third line, but he needs to stop playing selfish in the offensive zone and get some production going. He hangs on the puck too long and can't seem to find his wingers or manage to get open for a shot.

Hopefully he works on that, gets regular PP time and better wingers next year&show us he can reach his potential. So far he's definitely given us glimpses and much to hope for : he's fast, good hands, strong and gives a good effort at all times. If only he passed the puck... I could see him becoming a winger, especially if the 3rd overall is used on a center.


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 05-25-2012 at 12:49 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.