HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 3.0

View Poll Results: 3rd ov. + (Tinordi or Beaulieu) for 1st ov?
NO 161 85.64%
YES (trade Tinordi) 7 3.72%
YES (trade Beaulieu) 20 10.64%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Too much to make it worthwhile. I'd love to have Kane, but not at the cost of our pick and then Subban or Pacioretty or even Eller if it was "the usual suspects" list that Winnipeg would likely start quoting from.
You seriously think that Winnipeg would ask for our first and Subban or Pacs for Kane? There's no way they overvalue Kane to that extent.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Hi-wayman

Vancouver is looking to get a bit younger and bigger and will have some very good players they can offer in exchange. Also Vancouver really would not be interested in asking for your first round pick. Too expensive and the Canucks are looking for roster ready players, not prospects.

Players that the Canucks could offer are:

Luongo or Schneider (only one - the other will be the Canucks #1)
Raymond, Booth or Higgins (only one - the other two will be Kesler's wingers)
Ballard or Edler (only one and only with a right side top four coming back)
Sauve
Higgins
Lapierre
Maholtra
Graagnani
Rome
Sweatt
Schroeder
Rodin
Volpatti
Weise
Bitz
Oreskovich

Would the Habs have any interest in any of these players and if so what would the Habs offer the Canucks in return? All of these players have been on or are on the Canucks roster or are considered top prospects for the Canucks.

The Canucks are looking for roster or near roster ready players in return. Draft picks would not interest Gillis as much as a player he can slot in to the team next season. Gillis wants the team to get a bit younger and definately bigger and tougher. Our greatest need would be a third line centre and depth on defense. Especially right side defense.

Please keep this realistic. The Canucks do not HAVE to trade any of these players. It is just that to get what will improve the weak areas of the team, the Canucks expect to have to offer value in return.

Please don't offer Gomez, the Canucks can't afford him plus they aren't willing to send the Sedins and Kesler to Montreal in exchange for him.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:19 AM
NewHabsEra*

lol Bergeron proposing Subban + our 3rd overall pick for Rick Nash... The guy is deeply senile..

Old
05-25-2012, 02:52 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
lol Bergeron proposing Subban + our 3rd overall pick for Rick Nash... The guy is deeply senile..
That could end up worse than the Gomez-McDonagh trade!

Old
05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Vancouver is looking to get a bit younger and bigger and will have some very good players they can offer in exchange. Also Vancouver really would not be interested in asking for your first round pick. Too expensive and the Canucks are looking for roster ready players, not prospects.

Sauve
Higgins
Lapierre
Maholtra
Graagnani
Rome
Sweatt
Schroeder
Rodin
Volpatti
Weise
Bitz
Oreskovich

Would the Habs have any interest in any of these players and if so what would the Habs offer the Canucks in return? All of these players have been on or are on the Canucks roster or are considered top prospects for the Canucks.

The Canucks are looking for roster or near roster ready players in return. Draft picks would not interest Gillis as much as a player he can slot in to the team next season. Gillis wants the team to get a bit younger and definately bigger and tougher. Our greatest need would be a third line centre and depth on defense. Especially right side defense.

Please keep this realistic. The Canucks do not HAVE to trade any of these players. It is just that to get what will improve the weak areas of the team, the Canucks expect to have to offer value in return.

Please don't offer Gomez, the Canucks can't afford him plus they aren't willing to send the Sedins and Kesler to Montreal in exchange for him.
Would love to have higgins back but I'm not sure ...

Old
05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

There are rumors that Ryan Suter and Zach Parise want to play together next season.
Both are unrestricted free agents to be and while Parise is still involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs, Suter's season was ended last round by the Coyotes. Detroit could be a possible destination for both as the Red Wings are a top team and apparently have the money and cap room for the American-born players. Stay tuned as this has the potential to be the biggest story in the off-season.

If that's really the case Detroit has a huge edge, most other teams can't afford to sign both, Detroit could pretty easily free up the cap room. I guess the Habs could also but Detroit always seems like a plush location for UFA's.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Nightmare scenario. That trade has disaster written all over it.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:51 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There are rumors that Ryan Suter and Zach Parise want to play together next season.
Both are unrestricted free agents to be and while Parise is still involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs, Suter's season was ended last round by the Coyotes. Detroit could be a possible destination for both as the Red Wings are a top team and apparently have the money and cap room for the American-born players. Stay tuned as this has the potential to be the biggest story in the off-season.

If that's really the case Detroit has a huge edge, most other teams can't afford to sign both, Detroit could pretty easily free up the cap room. I guess the Habs could also but Detroit always seems like a plush location for UFA's.
Don't rule out the Wild, they also have the cap space and Parise were born there.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

From Eklund's HockeyBuzz:

Quote:
On Ryan Suter

One source put it this way..."There are going to be a whole lot of disappointed teams when it comes to Suter. The places he wants to go are very limited." It appears that the Canadian teams, as well as the Eastern Conference big teams won't be able to just throw money at Suter after all. From various sources I have heard that he wants to either stay in Nashville or sign with either Colorado, Detroit, or Minnesota. When the playoffs began I would have put the chances of Suter signing in Nashville about 70%, however now I would say 45% that Suter returns....which, while it is a higher percentage than I would give to him signing with any other specific team, means I now feel the chances are slightly greater he is leaving Nashville.
Suter is supposedly a farm boy. I hope they both sign in Denver, Parise and Stastny played together in the past and looked pretty good, Suter, Parise and Stastny are also good friends. Avs have the money, cap space and young and up and coming team, who's two biggest holes are a 1st pairing LH D-man (Suter) and a top line winger (Parise).

Their NHL core (Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny, Landeskog, EJ, Varlamov) is all under 26 year of age (Stastny being the oldest of the bunch).

They have some nice complimentary pieces in McGinn, Mueller, Downie, Hejda, O'Byrne, Olver that are fairly young with the exception of Hejda.

And they have a bunch of great young prospects on the way in Elliott (1st pairing potential), Siemens (same as Elliott), Barrie (top 4 potential), Gaunce (same as Barrie), Hishon (his health issues are a concern, but talent wise he's a top 6 center without a doubt), Sgarbossa (OHL player of the year, poor mans Hishon), Pickard (potential to be a top end to mid level NHL starter), Aittokallio (same as Pickard), Patterson (low end NHL starter potential).

Old
05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
From Eklund's HockeyBuzz:

Suter is supposedly a farm boy. I hope they both sign in Denver, Parise and Stastny played together in the past and looked pretty good, Suter, Parise and Stastny are also good friends. Avs have the money, cap space and young and up and coming team, who's two biggest holes are a 1st pairing LH D-man (Suter) and a top line winger (Parise).

Their NHL core (Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny, Landeskog, EJ, Varlamov) is all under 26 year of age (Stastny being the oldest of the bunch).

They have some nice complimentary pieces in McGinn, Mueller, Downie, Hejda, O'Byrne, Olver that are fairly young with the exception of Hejda.

And they have a bunch of great young prospects on the way in Elliott (1st pairing potential), Siemens (same as Elliott), Barrie (top 4 potential), Gaunce (same as Barrie), Hishon (his health issues are a concern, but talent wise he's a top 6 center without a doubt), Sgarbossa (OHL player of the year, poor mans Hishon), Pickard (potential to be a top end to mid level NHL starter), Aittokallio (same as Pickard), Patterson (low end NHL starter potential).
Not very surprising, personally I think he goes to Minnesota

Old
05-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Uwey

With Matt Duchense & Ryan O'Reilly emerging as good young centermen in Colorado, I wonder if there is any chance of them moving Paul Stastny. I would love to see him centering Patches!!!

Old
05-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
With Matt Duchense & Ryan O'Reilly emerging as good young centermen in Colorado, I wonder if there is any chance of them moving Paul Stastny. I would love to see him centering Patches!!!
Stastny could be had IMO for the right price, he also comes at a 6.6 million dollar cap hit though. It's a lot of money for a guy who put up 53 and 57 points in his last 2 seasons

Old
05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Why? We have a guy making under 1 mil per year who outproduced him last year and another center who matched his production with lesser wingers(last year) and 1.6 mil less on the cap.

I don't think trading Plekanec straight up for Stastny makes a lot of sense. Plekanec is a more complete player, lower cap hit while Stastmy is a bit younger and a bit bigger.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Why? We have a guy making under 1 mil per year who outproduced him last year and another center who matched his production with lesser wingers(last year) and 1.6 mil less on the cap.

I don't think trading Plekanec straight up for Stastny makes a lot of sense. Plekanec is a more complete player, lower cap hit while Stastmy is a bit younger and a bit bigger.
Yes Desharnais out produced him but the question is can he do that every season. Stastny does have 3 70+ pts seasons in his short career. He isn't a bad player and the cap hit is a little high but if he plays to potential he is worth it. Would I do it, no simply because I don't think he is that much of an upgrade on Pleks while being a better offensive player. All around I prefer Pleks but what we need is someone better if we are going to spend that amount of cash

Old
05-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Stastny could be had IMO for the right price, he also comes at a 6.6 million dollar cap hit though. It's a lot of money for a guy who put up 53 and 57 points in his last 2 seasons
Stastny's production is deceiving, 2011 was a down year for him mostly because he had some minor injuries and because of his linemates (Porter, Yip, Kobasew, Galiardi etc) that were more suited to be AHL tweeners or 4th liners than NHL top 6 regulars. He was a PPG center right until the all star break in 2011 (when the wheels fell off in Colorado) and he's close to the PPG pace in 2012 especially since McGinn was added to his line at the trade deadline. The overall transition game of Avs defensive corps didn't help up their forwards one bit as well since only EJ was able to carry the puck out of the zone on regular basis and he rarely played with Stastny's line on the ice as he was mostly used when Duchene was on the ice.

He's a pass 1st center that is a virtual lock for 20 goals every season, but like every playmaking center his assist numbers are dependent on the finishing ability of his linemates, he's pretty good defensively and he's one of the best faceoff takers in the NHL with over 55% faceoffs won.

Is he overpaid? Yes he is, but not by as much as some are making him out to be. He would easily get a contract with 5.5+ mil cap hit if he enters the FA market.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Stastny's production is deceiving, 2011 was a down year for him mostly because he had some minor injuries and because of his linemates (Porter, Yip, Kobasew, Galiardi etc) that were more suited to be AHL tweeners or 4th liners than NHL top 6 regulars. He was a PPG center right until the all star break in 2011 (when the wheels fell off in Colorado) and he's close to the PPG pace in 2012 especially since McGinn was added to his line at the trade deadline. The overall transition game of Avs defensive corps didn't help up their forwards one bit as well since only EJ was able to carry the puck out of the zone on regular basis and he rarely played with Stastny's line on the ice as he was mostly used when Duchene was on the ice.

He's a pass 1st center that is a virtual lock for 20 goals every season, but like every playmaking center his assist numbers are dependent on the finishing ability of his linemates, he's pretty good defensively and he's one of the best faceoff takers in the NHL with over 55% faceoffs won.

Is he overpaid? Yes he is, but not by as much as some are making him out to be. He would easily get a contract with 5.5+ mil cap hit if he enters the FA market.
Thing is it's not 1 but 2 disappointing season in a row now for Paul, I do agree and think he is a great player and on the open market would easily cash in at around 6 million but you got to be careful when making this type of a deal and it went totally sour for the Habs while trading for Gomez. Depends on the cost basically and the Avs would also have to take back a bad contract from a team in today's NHL (cap reasons)

Old
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yes Desharnais out produced him but the question is can he do that every season. Stastny does have 3 70+ pts seasons in his short career. He isn't a bad player and the cap hit is a little high but if he plays to potential he is worth it. Would I do it, no simply because I don't think he is that much of an upgrade on Pleks while being a better offensive player. All around I prefer Pleks but what we need is someone better if we are going to spend that amount of cash
Stastny isn't a bad player, but I wouldn't spend any assets to bring him in when he is not an upgrade or a very small one on DD and Plekanec, we have bigger needs on defense and on the wings right now. At the end of the day, unless Colorado is giving him away or trading him very cheap I don't see a fit with Stastny and the Habs. Obviously if you can get him cheap you can look at trading Plekanec or playing Stastny or Eller on the wing, would be a nice problem to have.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post

Sauve
Higgins
Lapierre
Maholtra
Graagnani
Rome
Sweatt
Schroeder
Rodin
Volpatti
Weise
Bitz
Oreskovich

The only two off that list that would interest me personally are Lapierre (for our 4th line) and Gragnani. My personal favourite is Jannik Hansen however, but I can't think of one reason why the Canucks would want to trade him away.

Unfortunately, the Habs are in a similar position as the Canucks, where they've made a turn towards becoming bigger and younger, so they have very little to offer. If they don't want to re-sign Travis Moen, his rights might be available...

Old
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Stastny isn't a bad player, but I wouldn't spend any assets to bring him in when he is not an upgrade or a very small one on DD and Plekanec, we have bigger needs on defense and on the wings right now. At the end of the day, unless Colorado is giving him away or trading him very cheap I don't see a fit with Stastny and the Habs. Obviously if you can get him cheap you can look at trading Plekanec or playing Stastny or Eller on the wing, would be a nice problem to have.
Like I mentioned in my other post to acquire a guy like him we would need to be dumping money back to Colorado, so unless they're interested in Gomez which I doubt or Kaberle it's not going to happen. I love Pleks but if it's a 1 for 1 deal we do get a little better offensively

Old
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Thing is it's not 1 but 2 disappointing season in a row now for Paul, I do agree and think he is a great player and on the open market would easily cash in at around 6 million but you got to be careful when making this type of a deal and it went totally sour for the Habs while trading for Gomez. Depends on the cost basically and the Avs would also have to take back a bad contract from a team in today's NHL (cap reasons)
I agree that it doesn't make sense to go after him with DD's breakout season, Plekanec on the roster and Stastny's probable price tag that would be needed to lure him out of Denver.

The differance between him and Gomez is that Gomez clearly wasn't the same player he was in NJ when we traded for him and as someone who missed only a handful of Avs games in the past 4 years I can safely tell you that the difference between Stastny right now and back when he scored 79 points isn't big in terms of offensive chances he generates per game, but there's a big drop off in terms of talent on his wings, his defensive game is slightly better now and his facoff abilities have been greatly improved.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Like I mentioned in my other post to acquire a guy like him we would need to be dumping money back to Colorado, so unless they're interested in Gomez which I doubt or Kaberle it's not going to happen. I love Pleks but if it's a 1 for 1 deal we do get a little better offensively
Yeah but if you do a 1 for 1 swap, you lose 1.6 mil of cap room to improve on the wings or on defense.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree that it doesn't make sense to go after him with DD's breakout season, Plekanec on the roster and Stastny's probable price tag that would be needed to lure him out of Denver.

The differance between him and Gomez is that Gomez clearly wasn't the same player he was in NJ when we traded for him and as someone who missed only a handful of Avs games in the past 4 years I can safely tell you that the difference between Stastny right now and back when he scored 79 points isn't big in terms of offensive chances he generates per game, but there's a big drop off in terms of talent on his wings, his defensive game is slightly better now and his facoff abilities have been greatly improved.
I don't see where Gomez was any different in NYR or his first year with the Habs than he was in New Jersey except for his career year in 05-06. He had seasons of 48 and 55 points in his 3rd and 4th year in NJ. 58 points last year in NYR and 59 points 1st year here.

10-11 things got off the rails and have not gotten back on.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Yeah but if you do a 1 for 1 swap, you lose 1.6 mil of cap room to improve on the wings or on defense.
And that's why I said all along last season the Kaberle trade was a terrible one. These are the reasons why management need to be careful with contracts they hand out/pick up. I guess another roster player would go the other way but like I said the swap doesn't make much sense for either team

Old
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
And that's why I said all along last season the Kaberle trade was a terrible one. These are the reasons why management need to be careful with contracts they hand out/pick up. I guess another roster player would go the other way but like I said the swap doesn't make much sense for either team
Kaberle can pretty easily be moved if you can find a better fit for a #3-4 guy. His cap hit is not unmoeable like Gomez.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Kaberle can pretty easily be moved if you can find a better fit for a #3-4 guy. His cap hit is not unmoeable like Gomez.
IMO Kaberle will not be easy to be moved, had he had 1 year left maybe but 2 years left teams will stay away

Closed Thread