HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Vokoun, sign Jokinen to 1 year deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
  #1
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Sign Vokoun, sign Jokinen to 1 year deals

2 UFAs that would be on fair deals this summer. vokoun could be had for 1.5-2.5 on a 1yr and Jokinen 2-3.5, he has stated hes willing to take a pay cut to sign with a top end contender. Hes getting old and doesnt have many years left but hes coming off a career year and was the flames best fwd this season. He would easily put up 60+ pts on the hawks second line.

Sign them both to 1 yr deals as stop gaps til Saad/Kruger and Salak can develop some more and fill those roles.

As much as id love J.Staal on the second line, i think hes too expensive. If you want Staal you will have to lose Sharp.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:06 AM
  #2
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
for someone named puck genius, that's the stupidest thing I've read on HFboards in...well, a few hours.

oh, and Salak is not our guy of the future. I'll be surprised if he isn't in Europe next season. He took not making the team as an insult, and mailed it in while in Rockford before losing THAT job too.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 AM
  #3
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
crawford can still have a great bounceback year. he's more than capable of playing good between the pipes. for this upcoming season, in crawford i trust.

if he's inconsistent and blows early on to mid way through the season, then you start lookin for goalies. i'd much rather the hawks spend the offseason lookin for a d-man and winger/center

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
  #4
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Vokoun is going to the KHL.

Jokinen is a joke.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
  #5
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Vokoun is going to the KHL.

Jokinen is a joke.
this

Vokoun will get more money in the KHL and Jokinen won't help us. He would not put up 60+ points as 2nd Line Center. This is fantasy and NHL12 thinking. 40-60 points is good for a 2nd line Center

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
  #6
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,810
vCash: 500
You don't win with Olli Jokinen.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:52 AM
  #7
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,577
vCash: 500
Jokinen isn't a 60+ point 2C. There's only about 2 of those in the entire league

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
  #8
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,201
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Jokinen, a lot better than having Kruger or Kane as our #2 C, and there aren't many better options out there than Olli.

A big NO to 37 y.o. Vokoun with a terrible groin.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
  #9
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,326
vCash: 500
Sounds about right for a Bowman move - seemingly prudent, yet directionless and ineffective.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
  #10
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,541
vCash: 772
Don't make any goalie changes this year.
Use this one to see if CC will be rookie year CC or last year CC.

If it's last year CC, then you throw the boat at Quick next summer.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
  #11
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Don't want Vokoun, though I don't want to stake another full season on the chance that Crawford plays better. His seasons in Norfolk, Rockford and Chicago indicate to me he is more likely to be like the 2011-2012 Crawford than the 2010-2011 Crawford.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
  #12
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Don't want Vokoun, though I don't want to stake another full season on the chance that Crawford plays better. His seasons in Norfolk, Rockford and Chicago indicate to me he is more likely to be like the 2011-2012 Crawford than the 2010-2011 Crawford.
Another full season? What? You make Crawford sound like Steve Mason.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  #13
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
He could be.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:22 AM
  #14
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He could be.
Any goaltender who's not as good in their sophmore season as their rookie season "could be". The point is, you don't trade someone after a bad year.. especially not this past year, when the Hawks were awful defensively and on the PK.

Crawford's had one great year and one bad year, statsically. Now is not the time to move him.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
  #15
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.
 
Crazy_Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,501
vCash: 500
We're going to need SOMETHING in goal for sure, but whether or not Vokoun is the answer is questionable.

As for Jokinen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike
Jokinen has never had any success anywhere he's played in the NHL.
He is inconsistent as hell.
He is brutal defensively.
He is as soft as toilet paper.
He can't win a faceoff to save his life.

This is the exact opposite of the sort of player we need. This is the sort of guy you get if you don't give a rat's arse about the things that actually cause teams to WIN.

No team - Hawks or otherwise - will ever go anywhere with this guy as a core component of the team (which certainly includes 2nd line center).

Just say no to Joke-inen. And maybe start avoiding players who come from long time losing franchises period. No more Leafs, Flames, etc.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
  #16
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Any goaltender who's not as good in their sophmore season as their rookie season "could be". The point is, you don't trade someone after a bad year.. especially not this past year, when the Hawks were awful defensively and on the PK.

Crawford's had one great year and one bad year, statsically. Now is not the time to move him.
Plus he was average over the course of 5 seasons in Norfolk/Rockford. He has never finished a season with a .920 save % in 7 years as a professional. In fact, he has only finished above .910 save % two of those 7 seasons. There's no reason to think this past season was a fluke. 2010-2011 is more likely to be a fluke.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
  #17
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Jokinen as a plan D maybe. Plan F would be Kruger/Pirri. Vokoun was one of my favorite's, but time's getting to him.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  #18
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Plus he was average over the course of 5 seasons in Norfolk/Rockford. He has never finished a season with a .920 save % in 7 years as a professional. In fact, he has only finished above .910 save % two of those 7 seasons. There's no reason to think this past season was a fluke. 2010-2011 is more likely to be a fluke.
If the Hawks play, even competent defense, Crawford would have posted back-to-back seasons with a SV% over .910.

There's more than a few examples of players/goaltenders who are better in the NHL than the AHL.. for alot of different reasons. Did you watch Norfolk/Rockford games when Crawford was there? Do you know how well those teams played defensively? The quality of chances they gave up and the frequency to which Crawford faced those chances?

If the Hawks play defense with any kind of structure or system Crawford will be fine. Start with covering the slot. Tying up/removing players in the crease. Basic stuff that most other teams do.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
  #19
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Goal is a very, very hard position to quantify statistically. Crawford shows flashes of solid play and this year has had stretches of bad play. Willing to give him another year, but after that I say go for the proven veteran upgrade if CC doesn't have a solid season.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
  #20
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,323
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Goal is a very, very hard position to quantify statistically. Crawford shows flashes of solid play and this year has had stretches of bad play. Willing to give him another year, but after that I say go for the proven veteran upgrade if CC doesn't have a solid season.
I don't know, the way Crawford looked start to finish both years is reflected very accurately in his save percentages both years, IMO. Same goes for Turco and Emery.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
  #21
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
If the Hawks play, even competent defense, Crawford would have posted back-to-back seasons with a SV% over .910.

There's more than a few examples of players/goaltenders who are better in the NHL than the AHL.. for alot of different reasons. Did you watch Norfolk/Rockford games when Crawford was there? Do you know how well those teams played defensively? The quality of chances they gave up and the frequency to which Crawford faced those chances?

If the Hawks play defense with any kind of structure or system Crawford will be fine. Start with covering the slot. Tying up/removing players in the crease. Basic stuff that most other teams do.
Didn't see the Norfolk games obviously, but I always watch as many Rockford games as possible. Crawford was very mediocre in Rockford the same year the Hawks won the cup. He was pretty close to what he was for the Hawks this season.

That's surely why the Hawks didn't even consider him for the starting job in 2010-2011...he just inherited it midway through when Turco stunk up the joint.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
  #22
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Didn't see the Norfolk games obviously, but I always watch as many Rockford games as possible. Crawford was very mediocre in Rockford the same year the Hawks won the cup. He was pretty close to what he was for the Hawks this season.

That's surely why the Hawks didn't even consider him for the starting job in 2010-2011...he just inherited it midway through when Turco stunk up the joint.
it's funny, that was the year he beat Niemi for the starting job in Chicago and got sent down anyway because it was less of a cap hit. Pending on when you saw him, if that's on your mind it can kill you (he had been rotting in the minors for what, 5 years? every year being told that next year was his chance)

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  #23
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
it's funny, that was the year he beat Niemi for the starting job in Chicago and got sent down anyway because it was less of a cap hit. Pending on when you saw him, if that's on your mind it can kill you (he had been rotting in the minors for what, 5 years? every year being told that next year was his chance)
Crawford and Niemi pretty much played to a deadbeat that year. I never heard anyone claim Crawford outplayed him that pre-season...until several have said this the past several weeks for some reason,

It was thought Niemi was kept on initially because of the game in Finland (remember the Hawks opened in Europe), in which he threw a shutout and solidified his position as Huet's backup. Also the Hawks risked losing Niemi if they sent him down, where Crawford they did not.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
  #24
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Jimmy Howard never really played outstanding in the AHL either.
He had SV% of .910, .911, .907, .916 compared to Crawford of .909, .907, .917, .909

So pretty similar. Not to mention them being drafted like 10 picks from each other. Hopefully they follow the same path in the NHL
Crawford Years:
1. .917 SV%
2. .903 SV%

Howard Years:
1. .924 SV%
2. .908 SV%
3. .920 SV%

So hopefully Crawford can get back to his .915-.920 SV% like Howard.

Lets not act like Niemi did so great in the AHL either. He had a .913 SV% in Rockford. Carter Hutton had a better SV% this year.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  #25
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,589
vCash: 500
I wasn't focusing solely on the AHL. I just wanted to point out that we have a lot more than Crawford's 2 seasons in Chicago to go by. He's actually been pretty consistent in his time in the Hawks organization.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.