HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Vokoun, sign Jokinen to 1 year deals

Old
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Sign Vokoun, sign Jokinen to 1 year deals

2 UFAs that would be on fair deals this summer. vokoun could be had for 1.5-2.5 on a 1yr and Jokinen 2-3.5, he has stated hes willing to take a pay cut to sign with a top end contender. Hes getting old and doesnt have many years left but hes coming off a career year and was the flames best fwd this season. He would easily put up 60+ pts on the hawks second line.

Sign them both to 1 yr deals as stop gaps til Saad/Kruger and Salak can develop some more and fill those roles.

As much as id love J.Staal on the second line, i think hes too expensive. If you want Staal you will have to lose Sharp.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Rexy

for someone named puck genius, that's the stupidest thing I've read on HFboards in...well, a few hours.

oh, and Salak is not our guy of the future. I'll be surprised if he isn't in Europe next season. He took not making the team as an insult, and mailed it in while in Rockford before losing THAT job too.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 AM
TwistedWrister90

crawford can still have a great bounceback year. he's more than capable of playing good between the pipes. for this upcoming season, in crawford i trust.

if he's inconsistent and blows early on to mid way through the season, then you start lookin for goalies. i'd much rather the hawks spend the offseason lookin for a d-man and winger/center

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Sevanston

Vokoun is going to the KHL.

Jokinen is a joke.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Vokoun is going to the KHL.

Jokinen is a joke.
this

Vokoun will get more money in the KHL and Jokinen won't help us. He would not put up 60+ points as 2nd Line Center. This is fantasy and NHL12 thinking. 40-60 points is good for a 2nd line Center

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

You don't win with Olli Jokinen.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:52 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Jokinen isn't a 60+ point 2C. There's only about 2 of those in the entire league

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Hawkaholic

I wouldn't mind Jokinen, a lot better than having Kruger or Kane as our #2 C, and there aren't many better options out there than Olli.

A big NO to 37 y.o. Vokoun with a terrible groin.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
massivegoonery

Sounds about right for a Bowman move - seemingly prudent, yet directionless and ineffective.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Don't make any goalie changes this year.
Use this one to see if CC will be rookie year CC or last year CC.

If it's last year CC, then you throw the boat at Quick next summer.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Sarava

Don't want Vokoun, though I don't want to stake another full season on the chance that Crawford plays better. His seasons in Norfolk, Rockford and Chicago indicate to me he is more likely to be like the 2011-2012 Crawford than the 2010-2011 Crawford.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Don't want Vokoun, though I don't want to stake another full season on the chance that Crawford plays better. His seasons in Norfolk, Rockford and Chicago indicate to me he is more likely to be like the 2011-2012 Crawford than the 2010-2011 Crawford.
Another full season? What? You make Crawford sound like Steve Mason.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Sarava

He could be.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:22 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
He could be.
Any goaltender who's not as good in their sophmore season as their rookie season "could be". The point is, you don't trade someone after a bad year.. especially not this past year, when the Hawks were awful defensively and on the PK.

Crawford's had one great year and one bad year, statsically. Now is not the time to move him.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

We're going to need SOMETHING in goal for sure, but whether or not Vokoun is the answer is questionable.

As for Jokinen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike
Jokinen has never had any success anywhere he's played in the NHL.
He is inconsistent as hell.
He is brutal defensively.
He is as soft as toilet paper.
He can't win a faceoff to save his life.

This is the exact opposite of the sort of player we need. This is the sort of guy you get if you don't give a rat's arse about the things that actually cause teams to WIN.

No team - Hawks or otherwise - will ever go anywhere with this guy as a core component of the team (which certainly includes 2nd line center).

Just say no to Joke-inen. And maybe start avoiding players who come from long time losing franchises period. No more Leafs, Flames, etc.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Any goaltender who's not as good in their sophmore season as their rookie season "could be". The point is, you don't trade someone after a bad year.. especially not this past year, when the Hawks were awful defensively and on the PK.

Crawford's had one great year and one bad year, statsically. Now is not the time to move him.
Plus he was average over the course of 5 seasons in Norfolk/Rockford. He has never finished a season with a .920 save % in 7 years as a professional. In fact, he has only finished above .910 save % two of those 7 seasons. There's no reason to think this past season was a fluke. 2010-2011 is more likely to be a fluke.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Jokinen as a plan D maybe. Plan F would be Kruger/Pirri. Vokoun was one of my favorite's, but time's getting to him.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Plus he was average over the course of 5 seasons in Norfolk/Rockford. He has never finished a season with a .920 save % in 7 years as a professional. In fact, he has only finished above .910 save % two of those 7 seasons. There's no reason to think this past season was a fluke. 2010-2011 is more likely to be a fluke.
If the Hawks play, even competent defense, Crawford would have posted back-to-back seasons with a SV% over .910.

There's more than a few examples of players/goaltenders who are better in the NHL than the AHL.. for alot of different reasons. Did you watch Norfolk/Rockford games when Crawford was there? Do you know how well those teams played defensively? The quality of chances they gave up and the frequency to which Crawford faced those chances?

If the Hawks play defense with any kind of structure or system Crawford will be fine. Start with covering the slot. Tying up/removing players in the crease. Basic stuff that most other teams do.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Goal is a very, very hard position to quantify statistically. Crawford shows flashes of solid play and this year has had stretches of bad play. Willing to give him another year, but after that I say go for the proven veteran upgrade if CC doesn't have a solid season.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Goal is a very, very hard position to quantify statistically. Crawford shows flashes of solid play and this year has had stretches of bad play. Willing to give him another year, but after that I say go for the proven veteran upgrade if CC doesn't have a solid season.
I don't know, the way Crawford looked start to finish both years is reflected very accurately in his save percentages both years, IMO. Same goes for Turco and Emery.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
If the Hawks play, even competent defense, Crawford would have posted back-to-back seasons with a SV% over .910.

There's more than a few examples of players/goaltenders who are better in the NHL than the AHL.. for alot of different reasons. Did you watch Norfolk/Rockford games when Crawford was there? Do you know how well those teams played defensively? The quality of chances they gave up and the frequency to which Crawford faced those chances?

If the Hawks play defense with any kind of structure or system Crawford will be fine. Start with covering the slot. Tying up/removing players in the crease. Basic stuff that most other teams do.
Didn't see the Norfolk games obviously, but I always watch as many Rockford games as possible. Crawford was very mediocre in Rockford the same year the Hawks won the cup. He was pretty close to what he was for the Hawks this season.

That's surely why the Hawks didn't even consider him for the starting job in 2010-2011...he just inherited it midway through when Turco stunk up the joint.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Didn't see the Norfolk games obviously, but I always watch as many Rockford games as possible. Crawford was very mediocre in Rockford the same year the Hawks won the cup. He was pretty close to what he was for the Hawks this season.

That's surely why the Hawks didn't even consider him for the starting job in 2010-2011...he just inherited it midway through when Turco stunk up the joint.
it's funny, that was the year he beat Niemi for the starting job in Chicago and got sent down anyway because it was less of a cap hit. Pending on when you saw him, if that's on your mind it can kill you (he had been rotting in the minors for what, 5 years? every year being told that next year was his chance)

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
it's funny, that was the year he beat Niemi for the starting job in Chicago and got sent down anyway because it was less of a cap hit. Pending on when you saw him, if that's on your mind it can kill you (he had been rotting in the minors for what, 5 years? every year being told that next year was his chance)
Crawford and Niemi pretty much played to a deadbeat that year. I never heard anyone claim Crawford outplayed him that pre-season...until several have said this the past several weeks for some reason,

It was thought Niemi was kept on initially because of the game in Finland (remember the Hawks opened in Europe), in which he threw a shutout and solidified his position as Huet's backup. Also the Hawks risked losing Niemi if they sent him down, where Crawford they did not.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
RomersWorld*

Jimmy Howard never really played outstanding in the AHL either.
He had SV% of .910, .911, .907, .916 compared to Crawford of .909, .907, .917, .909

So pretty similar. Not to mention them being drafted like 10 picks from each other. Hopefully they follow the same path in the NHL
Crawford Years:
1. .917 SV%
2. .903 SV%

Howard Years:
1. .924 SV%
2. .908 SV%
3. .920 SV%

So hopefully Crawford can get back to his .915-.920 SV% like Howard.

Lets not act like Niemi did so great in the AHL either. He had a .913 SV% in Rockford. Carter Hutton had a better SV% this year.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Sarava

I wasn't focusing solely on the AHL. I just wanted to point out that we have a lot more than Crawford's 2 seasons in Chicago to go by. He's actually been pretty consistent in his time in the Hawks organization.