HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nonis Interview

Old
05-25-2012, 06:21 AM
SchennerandNazzie

vCash: 500
Nonis Interview

Nonis is on Fan 590 at 8 this morning if anybody wants to listen.Probaly going to talk about Marlies. If someone could post a summary that would be great

Thanks in advance

SchennerandNazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennerandNazzie View Post
Nonis is on at 8 this morning if anybody wants to listen.Probaly going to talk about Marlies. If someone could post a summary that would be great

Thanks in advance
Station?

Morguee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:23 AM
SchennerandNazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
Station?
Fan 590

SchennerandNazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
thanks for teh heads up

I'll write a little overview if I can drink enough coffee by 8 to make my limbs function properly

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:15 AM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Some points I caught.

- AHL Playoffs have provided great experience for Gardiner and Frattin.
- Impressed with Scrivens, has performed at a higher level then expected.
- Scrivens will get a chance to make the team next training camp
- High rated prospects could easily fall in this draft, teams positional needs can change everything. A lot of great D prospects with different abilities.
- More likely to make trades then UFA's. May go after 1 or 2 FA's but primary improvement will come from trade.
- Today's his birthday Lol.

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:18 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnizzle View Post
Some points I caught.

- Scrivens will get a chance to make the team next training camp (He's going to be an FA)
- High rated prospects could easily fall, teams positional needs can change everything. A lot of great D prospects with different abilities.
- More likely to make trades then UFA's. May go after 1 or 2 FA's but primary improvement will come from trade.
Seems like they are tired getting burned by free agents signings. The only one that really worked out for the best was MacArthur. Mix that with the fact that the UFA pool this year sucks...yeah.

The times they have had success bringing in some new blood was through trades.

Hopefully this doesn't mean blockbuster trades (Nash) but just solid trades like the Franson or Lupul/Gardiner trade.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:21 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Seems like they are tired getting burned by free agents signings. The only one that really worked out for the best was MacArthur. Mix that with the fact that the UFA pool this year sucks...yeah.

The times they have had success bringing in some new blood was through trades.

Hopefully this doesn't mean blockbuster trades (Nash) but just solid trades like the Franson or Lupul/Gardiner trade.
Beauchemin was the best free agent signing in years. He landed us Lupul and Gardiner

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:21 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Wonder if he was hinting at us when he said one team might have a guy ranked third while another team might rank him tenth?

Maybe a shocker pick coming up?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Some points I caught.

- Scrivens will get a chance to make the team next training camp
- High rated prospects could easily fall in this draft, teams positional needs can change everything. A lot of great D prospects with different abilities.

Pretty much this...I would add that he made mention of the absence of a consensus in terms of top 10-15 in the draft, in that while the names in the top 10-15 may be similar from team to team, the order will vary wildly, and not only due to organizational needs, but because of how each team grades the prospects. Where some may have a guy going 3rd, others will have him 8th, and so on.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM
cps230

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Wonder if he was hinting at us when he said one team might have a guy ranked third while another team might rank him tenth?

Maybe a shocker pick coming up?
Faksa, rated anywhere from 8-15, We'll probably pick him 5th

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM
grits207

Nothing really new from the interview, he basically just rehashed stuff that Brian Burke said at the end of the season.

On a side note, IMO Burke would be much better off if he stayed in the background and let Dave Nonis handle most of the media stuff. Nonis does a great job of saying what Burke wants him to say without being confrontational and boastful.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
- this Marlies run is a little different from the one a few seasons ago because of how young this team is and how its primary contributors are guys looking to make the NHL in the next couple of seasons
- when asked if this playoff run has changed management's perception of some players with regard to making the team next season, said 'slightly' and mentioned D'Amigo and Scott specifically
- Scrivens has played above expectations and will have 'every opportunity' to make the team next season (mentioned the situation with Gardiner last year and how nobody expected him to make the team out of camp), but the game plan moving forward is 'depth in goal' and not hoping that unproven guys can carry the load
- although the combine could change things 'slightly', management are more or less set on who they want in the upcoming draft
- expects this draft to be 'unpredictable'; most teams have a similar top 10-15 but nobody really knows where the pieces are going to fall and it wouldn't be surprising to see some guys ranked in the 3-4-5 range going around 8-9-10 because of the various types of players available, especially defensemen
- mentioned Ryan Murray as the 'steadiest of the group' regarding draft-eligible defensemen
- more likely scenario this off-season is acquiring players through trades rather than unrestricted free agency; not a fan of building a team with too many UFAs because of how much they tend to be overpaid, though they may 'jump in for a couple of pieces'

Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 05-25-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:29 AM
noway

Quote:
Sound like they have received an offer to trade down, like 2 firsts for the 5th overall.

noway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Sound like they have received an offer to trade down, like 2 firsts for the 5th overall.
I partially like this idea. First off, I wouldn't want to move too far
down (#8), but I do believe we need 2-3 1st rounders. The unpredictability is promising.

Happy Birthday Dave!

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:02 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

seemed to insinuate that the leafs will be taking a defense man at the draft. Saying there are all types depending what role you need filled.

Says he is very impressed with D'amigo and Scott, they could potentially earn roster spots next season.

Says he is more interested in trading but there are a couple of pieces in the UFA market that they will go after. Most likely lower ticketed players.

Only points that i took from the interview. However of course it cut out online...

I really think that if the offense is dried up come #5 the leafs will take Morgan Rielly. Just a hunch

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

I think the problem is that you will most definitely will overpay for an UFA these days, primarily because of lack of quality UFAs becoming available at a regular frequency. Long gone the days when you can pick up a Mogilny for 3 years/ 5M per at still his productive years.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
That was the first thing I thought too and possibly a trade with the Washington Capitals who have the 11th and 16th picks.

11- Griffin Reinhart
16- Brendan Gaunce

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Interactif

Sounds to me The Leafs have the players they know that they will want to target, and it will depend on what the teams in front of them do that will dictate who they pick. In other words Leafs will draft he best player available whether it is a C, winger, goalie or a defenceman. Which is what I expected.

Also interesting he mentioned different skill sets for the Defencemen, some offensive, some steady, ect...

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
That was the first thing I thought too and possibly a trade with the Washington Capitals who have the 11th and 16th picks.

11- Griffin Reinhart
16- Brendan Gaunce
It's entirely possible, but I wonder if it would be the best way to go when we have depth but not high end quality. Such a move requires a ton of faith in the scouting department.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

11- Griffin Reinhart
16- Brendan Gaunce

Its probably unlikely Reinhart will be available at #11. I would imagine he goes between 5 and 10. If all the top ranked forwards are taken 1-4, and we are left with taking the best defenceman at #5, maybe moving down and making deal with washington not a bad idea. Could take Faksa and Gaunce, gives us potential #2 and #3 centres moving forward. Still wouldnt have that star first liner, but having depth at the position isnt a bad thing either.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I didn't really feel swayed one way or another on what they'll do at the draft.

If anything, it seems like they are considering potentially moving down if they know the player they have targeted is going to drop. Specifically, if the player they really like is a defenseman.

05-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Its probably unlikely Reinhart will be available at #11. I would imagine he goes between 5 and 10. If all the top ranked forwards are taken 1-4, and we are left with taking the best defenceman at #5, maybe moving down and making deal with washington not a bad idea. Could take Faksa and Gaunce, gives us potential #2 and #3 centres moving forward. Still wouldnt have that star first liner, but having depth at the position isnt a bad thing either.

I still think Grigo/ Galch should be looked at first. I think the likelyhood of another Radulov is very slim. There is a reason he came back. Money doesn't do much when you don't play at the highest possible level with the best available players, stuck in a hellhole in Siberia.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's entirely possible, but I wonder if it would be the best way to go when we have depth but not high end quality. Such a move requires a ton of faith in the scouting department.
It'll likely come down to the scouting staff thinking they don't have a shot at who they consider the best talent in the draft, so moving down from #5 will give them a chance to land two players who may be just as good as the #5 pick.

I'd be a bit surprised if that happens, just because this will be the highest the Leafs are picking during Burke's tenure. But, at the same time, it's not necessarily the best draft in Burke's tenure in terms of trying to land a franchise talent.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Leafs03

if this team trades that 5th overall, this team fails again.... When are we going to learn that trading our picks will just come back and bite us in the asss over and over again.... my god,,,, ****KING DRAFT WITH YOUR OWN PICK AND MOVE ON! JUST LIKE ANY OTHER TEAM!!!

Leafs03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I didn't really feel swayed one way or another on what they'll do at the draft.

If anything, it seems like they are considering potentially moving down if they know the player they have targeted is going to drop. Specifically, if the player they really like is a defenseman.
I feel like it could be Trouba.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote