HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sekera was the Sabres BEST defensemen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
  #26
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
If sekera was our best defenceman(I am not saying he is bad) and we missed the playoffs with him as our number one defenceman then we need better defencemen.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
  #27
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Nothing against Rej, I like him a lot. But perhaps all of these numbers showcasing Sekera as being our best dman all season is a big indication of why the Sabres didnt make the playoffs.

If he's our best again next season, we'll probably be on the outside looking in once again. Myers needs a big year. Ehrhoff needs to be more consistant. If that happens, Reggie won't be our "best" and IMO we'll be in a lot better shape. This team can't be a cup contender with Sekera being the far and away best dman. Unless he's the 2012-2013 Karlsson to go along with an improved Myers and Ehrhoff.
BINGO BINGO BINGO

Why are we paying Myers 5.5 to be our second best defenceman?
Why is the skill level of the other defenceman so low that Sekera can be called our best defenceman.

Whether Jame is in love with Sekera or not, Sekera is not the MOST skilled defenceman in the team thus should not stand out as the best.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
  #28
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
BINGO BINGO BINGO

Why are we paying Myers 5.5 to be our second best defenceman?
Why is the skill level of the other defenceman so low that Sekera can be called our best defenceman.

Whether Jame is in love with Sekera or not, Sekera is not the MOST skilled defenceman in the team thus should not stand out as the best.
That's not Sekera's fault.

And I'm not really sure what the problem here is, either....
Jame said Sekera was their best D last season, which is true.

He never said he had the highest ceiling or that Myers and Ehrhoff shouldn't have been better and/or more consistent.

Sekera is not a #1. Maybe not even a #2 guy.
But developed into a damn solid #3 guy, and still has room to grow.

And again, while he isn't better than Myers or Ehrhoff on paper, fact is, he simply outplayed all the other guys last year, and fairly convincingly too.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
  #29
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's not Sekera's fault.

and I'm not really sure what the problem here is, either....
Jame said Sekera was their best D last season, which is true.

He never said he had the highest ceiling or that Myers and Ehrhoff shouldn't have been better and/or more consistent.

Sekera is not a #1. Maybe not even a #2 guy.
But developed into a damn solid #3 guy, and still has room to grow.

And again, while he isn't better than Myers or Ehrhoff on paper, fact is, he simply outplayed all the other guys last year, and fairly convincingly too.
So what you are saying is you want to know what the problem is?
Here is a hint, I never said there was a problem. This is just the way you started your post. Never said it was Sekera´s fault, why would you think it was Sekera´s Fault? Who f§$§ cares who´s fault it is? That is a ludicrous statement.
Jame never said he had the highest ceiling, I never said Jame said he had the highest ceiling

Actually after reading your post again you just argued about things with yourself. I never pointed a finger a Jame or Sekera so why you draw conclusions in which I would not read in to a poster´s post and try to respond with an argument that never existed. In fact what are you even talking about?


If you want there to be problems then I will explain them to you and hopefully you will understand them.
1. The team missed the playoffs and that is the entire organizations fault and the distribution is an opinion from Regier, Ruff and Pegula to the players.
2. Sekera should not be noticed as the best defenceman if Myers and Ehrhoff are here.
3. If Sekera is our best defenceman next year then we will be in a bad situation considering Tyler Myers is expected to be a top 10 defenceman in the NHL
4. Unless we compare Sekera to the top Defenceman in the NHL then how do we know how good our defence really is.


The bolded part...is missing the playoffs and not having Tyler Myers stand out as the best defenceman ok with with you because that is what you are saying if there is no problem.
/thread


Last edited by heartsabres*: 05-25-2012 at 08:50 AM.
heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
  #30
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
So what you are saying is you want to know what the problem is?
Here is a hint, I never said there was a problem. This is just the way you started your post. Never said it was Sekera´s fault, why would you think it was Sekera´s Fault? Who f§$§ cares who´s fault it is? That is a ludicrous statement.
Jame never said he had the highest ceiling, I never said Jame said he had the highest ceiling

Actually after reading your post again you just argued about things with yourself. I never pointed a finger a Jame or Sekera so why you draw conclusions in which I would not read in to a poster´s post and try to respond with an argument that never existed. In fact what are you even talking about?


If you want there to be problems then I will explain them to you and hopefully you will understand them.
1. The team missed the playoffs and that is the entire organizations fault and the distribution is an opinion from Regier, Ruff and Pegula to the players.
2. Sekera should not be noticed as the best defenceman if Myers and Ehrhoff are here.
3. If Sekera is our best defenceman next year then we will be in a bad situation considering Tyler Myers is expected to be a top 10 defenceman in the NHL
4. Unless we compare Sekera to the top Defenceman in the NHL then how do we know how good our defence really is.


The bolded part...is missing the playoffs and not having Tyler Myers stand out as the best defenceman ok with with you because that is what you are saying if there is no problem.
/thread
So you're saying that Myers deserves to stand out as the best defenseman even though he wasn't?

The bolded part.... makes no sense. Look at the statistics, his NUMBERS weren't good, but he was on the ice for many goals.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
  #31
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
So what you are saying is you want to know what the problem is?
Here is a hint, I never said there was a problem. This is just the way you started your post. Never said it was Sekera´s fault, why would you think it was Sekera´s Fault? Who f§$§ cares who´s fault it is? That is a ludicrous statement.
Jame never said he had the highest ceiling, I never said Jame said he had the highest ceiling

Actually after reading your post again you just argued about things with yourself. I never pointed a finger a Jame or Sekera so why you draw conclusions in which I would not read in to a poster´s post and try to respond with an argument that never existed. In fact what are you even talking about?


If you want there to be problems then I will explain them to you and hopefully you will understand them.
1. The team missed the playoffs and that is the entire organizations fault and the distribution is an opinion from Regier, Ruff and Pegula to the players.
2. Sekera should not be noticed as the best defenceman if Myers and Ehrhoff are here.
3. If Sekera is our best defenceman next year then we will be in a bad situation considering Tyler Myers is expected to be a top 10 defenceman in the NHL
4. Unless we compare Sekera to the top Defenceman in the NHL then how do we know how good our defence really is.


The bolded part...is missing the playoffs and not having Tyler Myers stand out as the best defenceman ok with with you because that is what you are saying if there is no problem.
/thread

I'm not really sure what your trying to say here...Is the point of your post to ***** about things that are completely off topic? If so you should probably reread the TOS.... Maybe whatever your point is went over my head...but I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thread for your post...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
  #32
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Well, Since I probably hate Sekera more than anybody on these boards, I will say this:

Sekera WAS our best defensemen like Jame said, you win this round Jame . That doesn't mean Sekera IS our best defensemen. It just means Ehroff(which I thought was our most IMPACTFUL dman) and Myers didn't play all that good.

If Myers and Ehroff don't play up to there potential and abilities and Sekera turns out to be our best defensemen, chances are we are missing the playoffs. In other words, to make the playoffs, I think a lot of the posters here would agree, Myers and Ehroff have to be our best defensemen for us. Sure every defensemen needs to play well, but the big two that NEED to play well have to be Myers and Ehroff.

I still stand by my opinion that Sekera is overrated by Sabres fans, but stats are stats and there's no way you can argue against stats...unless of course they're plus/minus stats we are arguing about. Or Quality of competition (because on the road the Home coach has last change).

If you're a head coach of the opponent, which guys would you want to match your best lines against if you have last change? You don't go by these stats that Jame has impressivley showcased, you go by how the players are playing, by WATCHING the game. So IF Myers is shutting down your top line in your matchups while you're on the road, would you want to have the 1st line matched up @ home when you have last change? No you put them out there when the other team puts their other pairings out there, thus increasing the defenseman's quality of competition rating. But, you know stats can't be misrepresented

BTW, yes, I do like to argue, just to argue

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:17 AM
  #33
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
BINGO BINGO BINGO

Why are we paying Myers 5.5 to be our second best defenceman?
Why is the skill level of the other defenceman so low that Sekera can be called our best defenceman.

Whether Jame is in love with Sekera or not, Sekera is not the MOST skilled defenceman in the team thus should not stand out as the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
So what you are saying is you want to know what the problem is?
Here is a hint, I never said there was a problem. This is just the way you started your post. Never said it was Sekera´s fault, why would you think it was Sekera´s Fault? Who f§$§ cares who´s fault it is? That is a ludicrous statement.
Jame never said he had the highest ceiling, I never said Jame said he had the highest ceiling

Actually after reading your post again you just argued about things with yourself. I never pointed a finger a Jame or Sekera so why you draw conclusions in which I would not read in to a poster´s post and try to respond with an argument that never existed. In fact what are you even talking about?


If you want there to be problems then I will explain them to you and hopefully you will understand them.
1. The team missed the playoffs and that is the entire organizations fault and the distribution is an opinion from Regier, Ruff and Pegula to the players.
2. Sekera should not be noticed as the best defenceman if Myers and Ehrhoff are here.
3. If Sekera is our best defenceman next year then we will be in a bad situation considering Tyler Myers is expected to be a top 10 defenceman in the NHL

4. Unless we compare Sekera to the top Defenceman in the NHL then how do we know how good our defence really is.


The bolded part...is missing the playoffs and not having Tyler Myers stand out as the best defenceman ok with with you because that is what you are saying if there is no problem.
/thread
These are the types of arguments that get made when facts can no longer be denied.... so some weird quasi argument needs to be made.

"The Sabres are in trouble/won't make the playoffs if Sekera plays like a top 40 defensemen"

^ one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard...

Clearly the Sabres MUST have top 40 play from the 6'8" guy... or the 10 year contract guy... otherwise that top 40 play is not good enough

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:21 AM
  #34
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,497
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I think the point is that Sekera can be pretty damn good and valuable, especially considering what he makes. He should not be considered trade bait unless something damn good is coming back.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
  #35
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's not Sekera's fault.

And I'm not really sure what the problem here is, either....
Jame said Sekera was their best D last season, which is true.

He never said he had the highest ceiling or that Myers and Ehrhoff shouldn't have been better and/or more consistent.

Sekera is not a #1. Maybe not even a #2 guy.
But developed into a damn solid #3 guy, and still has room to grow.


And again, while he isn't better than Myers or Ehrhoff on paper, fact is, he simply outplayed all the other guys last year, and fairly convincingly too.
I have trouble with the terminology of #1 / #2 / etc... do you go by minutes? matchups? role?

I'd rather speak in terms of role...

I think a defensemen who gets the top matchups, gets the bulk of the defensive zone starts, can skate with the best of them, and generates team offense via that skating, and a sharp outlet pass... has pretty much eveything you want in a so called "#1 defensemen" minus the individual offensive production or the overrated "real time stats"

Sekera's game has evolved over 4-5 seasons of NHL play... we always talk about how long it takes for defensemen to develop. Last year you saw that development take a huge step...

The Sabres should go into next year with Sekera-Myers as the top pairing... and they should leave them together for the whole season. Sekera is about to turn 26, and hit his prime, and his locked up for 3 of those prime years at an absolute steal.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
  #36
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Go ahead and rank these 6 defensemen based on their total performance this past season... if you come out with a ranking that doesn't have Sekera as #1, then you're doing it wrong.

EVEN STRENGTH

Quality of Competition
1. Regehr +0.065
2. Sekera +0.038
3. Weber +0.002
4. Ehrhoff -0.004
5. Myers -0.013
6. Leopold -0.023

Goals Against per 60 on ice
1. Myers 1.97
2. Regehr 2.01
3. Sekera 2.19
4. Leopold 2.40
5. Ehrhoff 2.70
6. Weber 2.81

What did we learn?
- Regehr and Sekera faced toughest competition and both performed very well in that role defensively
- Weber needs to be protected from tougher competition
- Myers was able to dominate defensively against weaker competition
- Leopold and Ehrhoff are not very good defensively, are given freedom to take more chances

Quality of Teammate
1. Ehrhoff +0.081
2. Weber +0.053
3. Regehr -0.008
4. Myers -0.013
5. Sekera -0.053
6. Leopold -0.056

Goals for per 60 on ice
1. Ehrhoff 2.85
2. Leopold 2.62
3. Sekera 2.51
4. Myers 2.47
5. Regehr 1.50
6. Weber 1.37

What did we learn?
- Ehrhoff gets a lot of ice with the scoring forwards
- Sekera does not get such ice time, and yet still produces offensively at a similar rate to Myers and Leopold
- Regehr and Weber are terrible offensively.

+/- On ice per 60
1. Myers +0.51
2. Sekera +0.32
3. Leopold +0.22
4. Ehrhoff +0.15
5. Regehr -0.52
6. Weber -1.44

What did we learn?
- Myers is #1, but has weaker competition and better linemates
- Sekera is #2, while having stronger competition and weaker linemates
- Leopold and Ehrhoff overcome their weaknesses defensively, with their strengths offensively. The need to continue to avoid strong matchups
- Weber is bad
- Regehr's play is acceptable, even though the end result is a negative. We know he faces the best competition and has no abilities outside his own zone.

+/- Off ice per 60
1. Sekera -0.03
2. Leopold -0.02
3. Myers +0.03
4. Weber +0.28
5. Ehrhoff +0.35
6. Regehr +0.40

Corsi ON ice (difference in SAF v SAA)
1. Sekera +1.93
2. Ehrhoff +0.86
3. Leopold -3.71
4. Weber -4.10
5. Myers -7.17
6. Regehr -10.88

Corsi OFF ice
1. Sekera -5.35
2. Ehrhoff -3.02
3. Weber -1.02
4. Leopold -0.63
5. Myers -0.03
6. Regehr +3.03

What did we learn?
- Even though Sekera faces some of the top matchups, he still has the best differential between his On ice/Off ice numbers. The Sabres are at their absolute best when Sekera is on the ice....Why? Because he keeps the opponent out of our zone, and we possess the puck MORE when he is on the ice then any other defensemen. We limit shot attempts the most when he is on the ice. We create the most shot attemtps for ourselves when he is on the ice. And he does all of that with some of the weaker linemates on the team...

the last time I checked, you can't get scored on when you have the puck (all due respect to Mike Ryan and Geoff Sanderson)

Off Zone Starts
1. Ehrhoff
2. Leopold
3. Myers
4. Sekera
5. Weber
6. Regehr

Off Zone Finish
1. Sekera
2. Ehrhoff
3. Leopold
4. Myers
5. Regehr
6. Weber

Sekera doesn't get the benefit of top offensive zone starts, yet finishes there the most... one of the most important stats you don't notice IMO

interesting stats:
1. Sekera, while being a distant 4th in pts per 60... he does happen to be 2nd in secondary assists per 60... anyone want to venture a guess why?
2. Only defensemen with more penalties drawn, then penalties taken

POWER PLAY

Goals For per 60 of PP
1. Ehrhoff 7.23
2. Sekera 5.93
3. Myers 5.50
4. Leopold 4.52

Shots For per 60 of PP
1. Ehrhoff 49.0
2. Sekera 45.4
3. Leopold 44.4
4. Myers 39.4

Shots Blocked by opponent per 60 ON
1. Sekera 17.8
2. Leopold 26.0
3. Ehrhoff 26.3
4. Myers 28.9

SHORT HANDED

Shots Against per 60 Short
1. Sekera
2. Ehrhoff
3. Regehr
4. Leopold
5. Weber
6. Myers

Shots Blocked per 60 Short
1. Regehr 26.5
2. Sekera 25.4
3. Myers 22.9
4. Leopold 21.9
5. Weber 20.6
6. Ehrhoff 16.7

Goals Against per 60 Short
1. Ehrhoff 4.17
2. Weber 4.26
3. Myers 6.55
4. Leopold 7.40
5. Sekera 7.56
6. Regehr 8.73

--------------------------

My overall ranking of these 6 defensemen based on the entirety of their performance taken into account with their role is as follows.


1. Sekera (By a mile)

2-5 the other others

6. Weber (the way lindy uses his pairs, there is no where to hide him)
THANK YOU JAME!!!

I've been preaching this since the season ended yet there continues to be people who want to ship him out, treating him as a bottom pairing defenseman.

One other thing to point out, despite the difficult competition and relatively few offensive zone faceoffs, Sekera still allowed the fewest shots per 60 minutes of any Sabre defenseman at 24.6/shots per 60. This was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the rest.

Sekera - 24.6
Weber - 25.7
Regehr - 28.3
Sulzer - 28.9
Leopold - 29.1
Ehrhoff - 29.3
Myers - 30.1

Sekera experienced a bit of a role shift this season as he saw his offensive zone starts decrease and his quality of competition increase. I think once he gets more settled and used to that, the offense will return.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
  #37
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
next year :

Sekera-Myers = top pairing, top ES minutes, top matchups, all situation
Sulzer-Ehrhoff = 2nd pairing, Top Ozone starts, protected from top lines
Leopold-Regehr = 3rd pairing, low ES, Top Dzone starts, used in matchup situations

PP
Leopold-Ehrhoff = top PP Pair
Sekera-Myers = 2nd PP Pair

Sekera-Myers = top PK pair
Leopold-Regehr = 2nd Pk Pair

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  #38
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
THANK YOU JAME!!!

I've been preaching this since the season ended yet there continues to be people who want to ship him out, treating him as a bottom pairing defenseman.

One other thing to point out, despite the difficult competition and relatively few offensive zone faceoffs, Sekera still allowed the fewest shots per 60 minutes of any Sabre defenseman at 24.6/shots per 60. This was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the rest.

Sekera - 24.6
Weber - 25.7
Regehr - 28.3
Sulzer - 28.9
Leopold - 29.1
Ehrhoff - 29.3
Myers - 30.1

Sekera experienced a bit of a role shift this season as he saw his offensive zone starts decrease and his quality of competition increase. I think once he gets more settled and used to that, the offense will return.
Sekera took the next step last year... and the fan base seems to have a great many that were too blind to even see it.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
  #39
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
I don't understand why some are saying if Sekera is our best defenseman, we likely miss the playoffs. The two ideas don't correlate. His numbers were good league-wide, not just on this team. He was successful.

If Sekera turns out to be a better defenseman than the already-skilled Myers and Ehrhoff, who cares? That gives you three very good defensemen.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  #40
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I don't understand why some are saying if Sekera is our best defenseman, we likely miss the playoffs. If Sekera turns out to be a better defenseman than the already-skilled Myers and Ehrhoff, who cares? That gives you three very good defensemen.
yea... it's a very confusing argument to me as well...

"If Sekera has a top 20 in the league season defensively...the Sabres a ****ed"


Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:55 AM
  #41
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I think the point is that Sekera can be pretty damn good and valuable, especially considering what he makes. He should not be considered trade bait unless something damn good is coming back.
This is the point I take away.

I take umbrage with some of those hybrid metrics individually, but as a group they do show that Sekera doesn't suck, and he's a player that should be held on to.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  #42
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I don't understand why some are saying if Sekera is our best defenseman, we likely miss the playoffs. The two ideas don't correlate. His numbers were good league-wide, not just on this team. He was successful.

If Sekera turns out to be a better defenseman than the already-skilled Myers and Ehrhoff, who cares? That gives you three very good defensemen.
that's the key... those arguing the weird "we need Myers to be better then Sekera" position seem to be missing.

Sekera was the Sabres best defensemen... and a TOP 40 DEFENSEMEN LEAGUE WIDE

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
  #43
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,732
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I think the point is that Sekera can be pretty damn good and valuable, especially considering what he makes. He should not be considered trade bait unless something damn good is coming back.
Which ulitmately is where all of this started -- the discussion about who if anyone on the blueline goes. Sekera provides considerable value, then factor in his cap and real dollar cost and it's nearly too sweet to move unless it's a damn good return (Staal) to shore up a glaring area of need. Even then, that is going to tear those solid minutes out and it's not like they replace them for the same cost-to-performance in UFA. UFA d-men putting up that sort of positive defensive stats are drawing 4.5 M per or more. He's the Sabres for $2.75M. That's chump-change.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:26 AM
  #44
SublimeNightmare
Registered User
 
SublimeNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Embrace the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Jame. Great post. Excellent argument that you proved over and over again with cold hard numerical facts.

Sekera is a gem on this roster. Ehrhoff was decent this year but it shows that for the amount of ice/favorable situations we could expect a little more production. Myers is a bit disappointing in that he did not stand out in any of the categories.

Particularly alarming is the fact that Myers play on the PP was hardly even pedestrian. So many shots being blocked and not as many being taken.

EDIT: I think any trade Sekera sentiment needs to end with this post.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
  #45
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Which ulitmately is where all of this started -- the discussion about who if anyone on the blueline goes. Sekera provides considerable value, then factor in his cap and real dollar cost and it's nearly too sweet to move unless it's a damn good return (Staal) to shore up a glaring area of need. Even then, that is going to tear those solid minutes out and it's not like they replace them for the same cost-to-performance in UFA. UFA d-men putting up that sort of positive defensive stats are drawing 4.5 M per or more. He's the Sabres for $2.75M. That's chump-change.
Ok, so what you are saying is if you had a choice to start a team and you can pick one of Sekera, Ehrhoff or Myers you would pick Sekera. Sounds logical to me, continue.

Also it is a bad arguement to say that we didnt make the playoffs because our other defencemen preformed so poorly it allowed Sekera to be called the best of the bunch.

Hey if you are happy with this all the more power to you. I care about wins, loses and playoffs and as Sekera with the best "stats" on the team we didnt make it. PERIOD

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  #46
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,732
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Ok, so what you are saying is if you had a choice to start a team and you can pick one of Sekera, Ehrhoff or Myers you would pick Sekera. Sounds logical to me, continue.

Also it is a bad arguement to say that we didnt make the playoffs because our other defencemen preformed so poorly it allowed Sekera to be called the best of the bunch.

Hey if you are happy with this all the more power to you. I care about wins, loses and playoffs and as Sekera with the best "stats" on the team we didnt make it. PERIOD
You are still comparing Sekera to Sabres. His overall numbers LEAGUE WIDE were TOP 40. That has no relation to how other Sabre defensemen played. That's based on what Sekera did, not what others didn't do.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  #47
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I don't understand why some are saying if Sekera is our best defenseman, we likely miss the playoffs. The two ideas don't correlate. His numbers were good league-wide, not just on this team. He was successful.

If Sekera turns out to be a better defenseman than the already-skilled Myers and Ehrhoff, who cares? That gives you three very good defensemen.
Completely agree. Basically saying Sekera could never be a better d man then those two just BECAUSE...really?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
  #48
ohheyimmark
Registered User
 
ohheyimmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Which ulitmately is where all of this started -- the discussion about who if anyone on the blueline goes. Sekera provides considerable value, then factor in his cap and real dollar cost and it's nearly too sweet to move unless it's a damn good return (Staal) to shore up a glaring area of need. Even then, that is going to tear those solid minutes out and it's not like they replace them for the same cost-to-performance in UFA. UFA d-men putting up that sort of positive defensive stats are drawing 4.5 M per or more. He's the Sabres for $2.75M. That's chump-change.
Absolutely. Moving Sekera comes close to a nonstarter, given how ****** the defense could be at times last year. The only thing I wanted to add is that his value is likely even HIGHER to the more cash strapped teams out there that may try and rely on him as a top pairing guy.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  #49
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer
 
Bobby Bottle Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,566
vCash: 500
Sekera was the most consistent d-man all season. The team started to click when Ehrhoff played better, but that's hardly a knock against 'Rej.

For non-empirical evidence, go through the GDT's and Sekera was praised most nights even if those who sung his praises later forgot that they did.

Sekera reminded me of Gonchar from a few years ago.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
  #50
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,732
vCash: 500
Awards:
Look... Rej isn't a "sexy" pick out there. He doesn't have gaudy offensive numbers. He's not breaking the glass with his shot. He isn't going end to end, or putting someone head over heels with a hip. No one is going into the third row because he put them through the glass.

But. The most important thing is, right now, he's not giving up much of anything in goals against. And that, for any defenseman, is the biggest part of their game.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.