HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe on Satellite Hotstove

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 01:40 PM
cram

vCash: 500
Lowe on Satellite Hotstove

Did anyone catch his Comrie comments when JD questioned him on it, I think he honestly wants Comrie back in Oiler silks and it seemed that he was hinting at poor advice from Mr. Winter..anyone else think the same or did I read too much into it??

Old
11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
capebretonoilers

Finally ,, I was waiting for someone to mention that on here.
Seemed like he wants him back /..good kid..good player..should be out here playing today...maybe a message there publicly saying he is a
good player..orrr maybe Lowe was just caught up with the feel good
feelings of the day

Old
11-23-2003, 01:50 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
Seemed like he wants him back /..good kid..good player..should be out here playing today...maybe a message there publicly saying he is a
feelings of the day
K, so I wasn't the only one, just reinforces the fact he is not being adviced correctly and is acting like a total cry baby! I really hope he gets traded, otherwise he will be booded a la Poti, maybe worse!

Old
11-23-2003, 02:33 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
feelings of the day

Those comments about Comrie being a good kid and a good player was just a sales pitch in order to bring back value. Don't kid yourself, Mact doesn't want comrie back and Lowe feels the same way. The image around the leaque is comrie is a cry baby, lowe is just trying his hardest to make people believe that Mike will be O.K in their dressing room. After the trade is completed I have a feeling we are going to hear what really spurred this whole mess with Comrie. The real story will then be told!

Old
11-23-2003, 02:44 PM
The Rage

To me, it just seemed like Lowe was just trying to be civil. What's he going to say? Comrie sucks and has a bad attitude? I think he was just trying to say that from an oiler's perspective, Comrie could still come back.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
windowlicker

I was waiting for this thread.

I dislike Comrie as much as the next guy on here, but those comments really did somewhat hint at Mike maybe getting bad advice. If Lowe wanted to be civil he could have simply said "were doing the best we can to facilitate the best and most productive outcome for all parties concearned". That "good kid who should be playing there today" comment was an extra Lowe added. I know agents are employees and lap dogs of the players......... but, I dunno....
This doesnt change anything of course, hes still getting traded, but there still could be much more to this than anyone else whos not connected with the process knows.

Or Comrie is just a big crybaby who.. for the first time since he was 2 had something happen not according to him, and threw a tantrum.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Habitant

How could he be getting bad advice? He WANTS to be traded. Winter doesn't want him traded. He would want him signed ASAP so he can start collecting his X%. All Winter could do is tell him he should sign with the Oilers but if Comrie ain't listening and wants out, there isn't much any agent can do.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Mikey 71

Of course Winter wants him traded. The minute he gets traded, he starts earning more than he would as an Oiler. I don't think Comrie is the crybaby everyone here makes him out to be. Absolutely none of us here know what is behind all of this. Seemingly everyone here has taken the side of Lowe/MacT and turned on Comrie and I think that is unfair and unfortunate. With every other negotiation the player says he is leaving it up to his agent to negotiate things and that they just want to play. I think Winter is the bad seed in this whole thing and not Comrie at all.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:21 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Of course Winter wants him traded. The minute he gets traded, he starts earning more than he would as an Oiler. I don't think Comrie is the crybaby everyone here makes him out to be. Absolutely none of us here know what is behind all of this. Seemingly everyone here has taken the side of Lowe/MacT and turned on Comrie and I think that is unfair and unfortunate. With every other negotiation the player says he is leaving it up to his agent to negotiate things and that they just want to play. I think Winter is the bad seed in this whole thing and not Comrie at all.
If Mike Comrie wanted to stay in Edmonton, there is absolutely no chance that Winter would tell him to leave. Agents just do what players tell them to, because if they didn't, a player would get an agent who would.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:44 PM
MrMackey

For once, I think that the agent may not be the bad guy here (or not the only bad guy).

I do think that Comrie is calling the shots, but I also believe that someone is giving him bad advice somewhere along the way.

I somehow can't imagine this being a typical player-agent relationship.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:51 PM
oildrop

Quote:
If Winter was the bad seed in all of this and Comrie wanted to stay here, he would have fired Winter by now. Comrie has said a trade is the best option for him so that just goes to show that he doesn't want to stay an Oiler. It's mostly Comrie who is making this thing a big mess.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:11 PM
The Rage

Personally, if I was playing for my hometown team, and my agent told me to ask for a trade, I'd fire him on the spot. Clearly, Comrie doesn't have that same kind of dedication to his hometown. Regardless of what people say about winter, you can't deny that Comrie just doesn't want to play here.

Old
11-24-2003, 04:48 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Those comments about Comrie being a good kid and a good player was just a sales pitch in order to bring back value. Don't kid yourself, Mact doesn't want comrie back and Lowe feels the same way. The image around the leaque is comrie is a cry baby, lowe is just trying his hardest to make people believe that Mike will be O.K in their dressing room. After the trade is completed I have a feeling we are going to hear what really spurred this whole mess with Comrie. The real story will then be told!
I want this whole thing over for many different reasons. I have a feeling that a trade will bring in prospects so the Oilers will not get a boost in their line up this year. The thing that I am quite interested in hearing is what happened behind closed doors. That is IF it actually comes out.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Mr Sakich

everyone is entitled to my opinion, and here it is....

this is a classic case of two very proud men agreeing to disagree. I have never called mike a cry-baby because I think he has had to over-come more than just about every oiler to make the nhl. Unlike a lot of kids, he had options. Lowe is turning into a great gm because he is not afraid to fail. He has the complete backing of ownership so he would patiently wait for the best deal, even if his club was winless in 20.

Lowe and Comrie do not agree on mike's role on the club. Lowe wants a bigger first line centre while mike has earned the best time/linemates by being the best centre on this team. Kevin also still has a sore rear from the first negotiation and wants to use the current cba when it favours his position.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
Lowe and Comrie do not agree on mike's role on the club. Lowe wants a bigger first line centre while mike has earned the best time/linemates by being the best centre on this team. Kevin also still has a sore rear from the first negotiation and wants to use the current cba when it favours his position.
If Comrie really wanted to prove that he deserve to be the #1 C, why didn't he sign a one year deal and make Lowe pay for his perceived lack of faith? Whenever this scenario is brought up with Comrie in an interview, he hums and haws and stammers like a guy who knows he has no logical rebuttal.

Considering the relatively poor year he had last year, he had a lot more to prove to the Oilers than the Oilers had to prove to him...yet he still sits. It's not like the Oilers haven't offered him a contract, he just chose not to sign it.

Like Lowe said, Comrie's a good kid who should've been playing in the HC. It's a very weird situation, and I think there's a lot more to it than what we've heard...I wonder if we'll ever get the full story.

Old
11-24-2003, 09:25 AM
reg dunlop

This is a stupid question as i am sure it has been posted several times... how much is comrie looking for?? how much are the oilers offering? good for kevin lowe sticking to his guns...

Old
11-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
This is a stupid question as i am sure it has been posted several times... how much is comrie looking for?? how much are the oilers offering? good for kevin lowe sticking to his guns...
You see, that's the kooky thing about this...nobody really knows for sure. All have as fact is that Lowe offered the minimum qualifying offer, and Comrie turned it down. Other than speculation from the newspapers, that's all we know. Rich Winter himself has said that the two sides haven't even talked about contract numbers in months.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Mikey 71

I am sure Comrie is pissed at what has gone on. I am sure Winter sees that and is feeding Comrie's emotions by saying how much more beneficial it is for him to get out of Edmonton. Truth is that nobody on this board will convince me that Comrie is THE evil one in this. Pretty much every angle of the Comrie situation has been posted here and there is nothing here that makes it clear that Comrie is calling the shots. Winter is doing the most talking so I am using that as my guidline that Winter has the most invested in this. Unless something comes out in the media that makes this whole situation more clear, I am not going to label a player a crybaby.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:23 PM
barto

Quote:
I am sure Comrie is pissed at what has gone on. I am sure Winter sees that and is feeding Comrie's emotions by saying how much more beneficial it is for him to get out of Edmonton. Truth is that nobody on this board will convince me that Comrie is THE evil one in this. Pretty much every angle of the Comrie situation has been posted here and there is nothing here that makes it clear that Comrie is calling the shots. Winter is doing the most talking so I am using that as my guidline that Winter has the most invested in this. Unless something comes out in the media that makes this whole situation more clear, I am not going to label a player a crybaby.
Fair enough - that's your call. Personally, I've seen/read/heard enough to draw my own conclusions.

(And they ain't pretty for Comrie...)

Bart

Old
11-25-2003, 07:17 AM
AVE MAN

Quote:

If its true that Comrie is being manipulated by Winter, then comrie wouldn't be the Evil one he would the be the stupid one. Either way get him out of here! A player with no backbone is worse than a player that wants more money. However it's Bill Comrie thats calling the shots on this one. He doesn't like how Mact was using little Mikey in the playoffs last year. So he wants Mike out!

Old
11-25-2003, 10:55 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Absolutely none of us here know what is behind all of this. Seemingly everyone here has taken the side of Lowe/MacT and turned on Comrie and I think that is unfair and unfortunate.
Well I am glad you're not leaping to conclusions, as that's a clear skill of many a poster.

That said, I cannot fathom what Comrie could possible tell us about "what is behind all this" that would make a whit of difference to me.

If I'm not terribly mistaken, Comrie and Winter talked to Lowe about a contract just before training camp. Up until that point, they were ready to listen to contract offers from the Oilers. If Comrie/Winter wanted out so badly over other "behind the scenes" issues, why would they have even been talking contract?

Thus, I can only conclude its really about the money. Comrie calls it "respect", but this is doublespeak. For him respect = first line = first line money. As a fan, its hard NOT to be on the side of the management for wanting to keep salaries controlled, ESPECIALLY considering Comrie's first contract: if Comrie's side wants to argue about "fairness" in salary, lets just consider what his rookie contract paid him.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:05 AM
barto

Yeah, I'd read somewhere a little while ago that Winter approached Lowe last year about a contract extension before the year was up. Lowe said "no". (I wonder how long he paused before blurting that out?) Then Lowe mentions Comrie as ONE OF the key guys who underperformed in the playoffs...and this was after he had taken quite a while to cool off! The Lowe offers Comrie the minimum required raise to retain his rights, and Comrie figures this is the final straw & demands a trade. Lowe apparently tried to trade him at the draft & failed. Now here we are... And I agree - "respect" in Comrie's mind means he's being treated like a star player, which means getting paid like a star player.

Bart

Closed Thread