HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis Interview

Old
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I didn't really feel swayed one way or another on what they'll do at the draft.

If anything, it seems like they are considering potentially moving down if they know the player they have targeted is going to drop. Specifically, if the player they really like is a defenseman.
My guess is the fwd they want is Forsberg since Yakupov is unlikely.

If he is off the table, I think we may move down and pick one of the many bluechippers at D that are available. I would watch for a Mcphee/Burke discussion on the draft floor of flipping the 11th and 16th picks for the #5th and 34th picks. Then Mcphee steps up to the mike and picks Ovie's future Center in one of the Russian G's.

Leafs will target Faksa/Gaunce and one of the remaining D's. Sounds like a good strategy to me if we don't get Forsberg.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Stephen

Quote:
It'll likely come down to the scouting staff thinking they don't have a shot at who they consider the best talent in the draft, so moving down from #5 will give them a chance to land two players who may be just as good as the #5 pick.

I'd be a bit surprised if that happens, just because this will be the highest the Leafs are picking during Burke's tenure. But, at the same time, it's not necessarily the best draft in Burke's tenure in terms of trying to land a franchise talent.
Yeah, I'm unconvinced that that is the way to go. I'd rather go for the home run swing while we're at it, as opposed to a single and then a double to bring in the run, to use that analogy.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

If he is off the table, I think we may move down and pick one of the many bluechippers at D that are available. I would watch for a Mcphee/Burke discussion on the draft floor of flipping the 11th and 16th picks for the #5th and 34th picks. Then Mcphee steps up to the mike and picks Ovie's future Center in one of the Russian G's.

Leafs will target Faksa/Gaunce and one of the remaining D's. Sounds like a good strategy to me if we don't get Forsberg.
Ovechkin has Backstrom. No reason why they need to select a C.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
mydnyte

he may have just meant that Grigo who was projected at #2/3 may be available at 5 now.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Or they could move down if they feel Gigorenko or Gally could fall for whatever reason.

Some team may like Dumba and want him in the 5 spot, or Reinhart. So the Maple Leafs shuffle down a few spots, pick up an extra second round pick and still get the guy they want. That would be a good use of assets IMO. Then it gives you the option of moving two second round picks to jump into the 1st round (if they like someone at the end of round one - for example). There should be some quality defensive talent in that range still if they want to land a forward with the first pick and pick up a defenseman after.

I think it'll be that type of draft. I've maintained my position that I'm expecting more movement in the top 10 then what we've seen in previous years. It'll be interesting to see if it plays out that way.

What we do know, based on Burke's tenure here, is that he's aggressive in the players he wants. Just two moves that come to mind in that regard as Biggs and Ross. At the 5th spot, Burke should at least be in more of the drivers seat this time around.

05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Yeah, I think their D is a bigger problem. They are also standing to lose Semen too.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:46 AM
TML91

It was cool how he mentioned that when he and kevin lowe put the team together Lowe brought in Murray so it might that Edmonton will take Murray at the Draft and then I assuming if there is a trade it will be between Edmonton and Columbus and they will take Nail and then who will the habs take Galy or Grigs then the Islanders have a decison on who ever the habs don't take which could be I would think Galy Frosberg Trouba or Dumba but I think and would like for us to get Forsberg seems like a guy who could be NHL ready just bc he is already playing with men.

TML91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
if this team trades that 5th overall, this team fails again.... When are we going to learn that trading our picks will just come back and bite us in the asss over and over again.... my god,,,, ****KING DRAFT WITH YOUR OWN PICK AND MOVE ON! JUST LIKE ANY OTHER TEAM!!!
Well that strategy is rather lame. If the player the Leafs wanted is gone by the 5th and thier plan B player is ranked 10th or so you would rather take that player 5th than 10th while getting another asset?
That makes no sense.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, I'm unconvinced that that is the way to go. I'd rather go for the home run swing while we're at it, as opposed to a single and then a double to bring in the run, to use that analogy.
I'm in favour of keeping the pick also. My favourite in the draft is probably Galchenyuk, but if the Maple Leafs have some knowledge that the two or three teams behind them like some of the defenders in the draft and are willing to move up? I'd certainly drop down and pick up some additional assets in the process. Would all depend on how the first few picks go (obviously).

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Nonis said they want a goalie to play 40 games.

Meaning Luongo will not be a Leaf, thank you Jebus!!!

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
TML91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Well that strategy is rather lame. If the player the Leafs wanted is gone by the 5th and thier plan B player is ranked 10th or so you would rather take that player 5th than 10th while getting another asset?
That makes no sense.
it make sense to me. And if Galy slips to around where Washington picks are then I say do it but I don't think he will then we would settle for Gaunce which wouldn't be bad at all and then we get another d-man which be great to add to our prospect depth

Old
05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML91 View Post
it make sense to me. And if Galy slips to around where Washington picks are then I say do it but I don't think he will then we would settle for Gaunce which wouldn't be bad at all and then we get another d-man which be great to add to our prospect depth
There's no way the Leafs should pass up on the chance to get Galy. If he falls to the 5th, we pick him and we run home. If the Leafs trade down and get him, even better.

So what if the Leafs trade down with Washington, so Washington can get a defenseman? Then some how Gally falls all the way down to Washington's pick and the Leafs steal him. And then pick Gaunce or Wilson in the later first. That'd be a huge draft for the Leafs, IMO.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Or they could move down if they feel Gigorenko or Gally could fall for whatever reason.

Some team may like Dumba and want him in the 5 spot, or Reinhart. So the Maple Leafs shuffle down a few spots, pick up an extra second round pick and still get the guy they want. That would be a good use of assets IMO. Then it gives you the option of moving two second round picks to jump into the 1st round (if they like someone at the end of round one - for example). There should be some quality defensive talent in that range still if they want to land a forward with the first pick and pick up a defenseman after.

I think it'll be that type of draft. I've maintained my position that I'm expecting more movement in the top 10 then what we've seen in previous years. It'll be interesting to see if it plays out that way.

What we do know, based on Burke's tenure here, is that he's aggressive in the players he wants. Just two moves that come to mind in that regard as Biggs and Ross. At the 5th spot, Burke should at least be in more of the drivers seat this time around.
Remember Garth Snow in the 08 draft, picked up 2 additional 2nd rd picks for the 5th by moving down until he got the guy he wanted in Josh Bailey.

Burke standing still is highly unlikely, he's coming away from this draft with multiple players he covets, and will use the 5th as leverage to achieve it. Going to be interesting, I agree with you 100% without much separation in the top 10 to 15 Burke is going to try to max out his assets.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
TML91

Quote:
There's no way the Leafs should pass up on the chance to get Galy. If he falls to the 5th, we pick him and we run home. If the Leafs trade down and get him, even better.

So what if the Leafs trade down with Washington, so Washington can get a defenseman? Then some how Gally falls all the way down to Washington's pick and the Leafs steal him. And then pick Gaunce or Wilson in the later first. That'd be a huge draft for the Leafs, IMO.
I totally agree if we do trade bc our guy isn't a 5 then get a forward and then a dman but my buddy who is habs fan and feels that they will choose Galy over Grigs and then the Islanders have to choose between a dman Grigs and Forsberg and if they choose a dman bc that is what they need then we would choose between Grigs and Forsberg then who do you choose

Old
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Wonder if he was hinting at us when he said one team might have a guy ranked third while another team might rank him tenth?

Maybe a shocker pick coming up?
Faksa you say?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Or perhaps Mcphee sees a more likely scenario he covets more than Burke does, where he foresees a Backstrom-Gal/Grig 1-2 punch with Ovie for the future. They are committed to Ovie and Backstrom for the rest of the decade, makes a lot of sense to draft one of the russians.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Wonder if he was hinting at us when he said one team might have a guy ranked third while another team might rank him tenth?

Maybe a shocker pick coming up?
preparing us for Trouba at 5

pspot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
That makes no sense.
Garth Snow did that when the Leafs grabbed Schenn. I believe he did it twice that same round.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Remember Garth Snow in the 08 draft, picked up 2 additional 2nd rd picks for the 5th by moving down until he got the guy he wanted in Josh Bailey.

Burke standing still is highly unlikely, he's coming away from this draft with multiple players he covets, and will use the 5th as leverage to achieve it. Going to be interesting, I agree with you 100% without much separation in the top 10 to 15 Burke is going to try to max out his assets.
Yes, what he said.

People laughed at Snow becoming GM, and while he hasn't really got his team anywhere for some people it isn't about the results.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:13 AM
daveleaf

I believe we take the best player available at the 5 spot. We need upper end talent. They have to start making room for guys in the Marlies like Kadri and Frattin full time and maybe a player like D'Amigo and Holzher. In my mind guys like MacA, Kullemin and a few others become expendable to either pick up a solid centre man or draft pics.

In my eyes Burke has done a poor job in developing his own higher pics and putting undue pressure on them and setting them up to fail. Schenn has regressed and Kadri's chain has been yanked from day one. These should be viable and important pieces to our team but they still remain question marks.

Play the youth and lets develop them. Not playing Frattin, Kadri, 5th overall, Holzher and D'Amigo from day one and keeping players like Komo and Lombardi on this team is sending the wrong message.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Garth Snow did that when the Leafs grabbed Schenn. I believe he did it twice that same round.
Well Garth Snow is a lame GM

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Faksa you say?
I posted a month ago or more that there is not much to choose from between Faksa and Gaunce.

IMO if we get 1 of the 2, and draft one of the D that we have been mentioned so much here for the past month, including Finn or Ceci who are often forgotten. I feel this draft would have been highly successful for us. We addressed 2 needs as opposed to 1.

It really comes down to Morrison, we know Burke values his opinion as he wanted to pick Percy before Biggs last year, but Morrison advised him rightfully if he wanted both he had to move the 30-39th for the 22nd pick while assuring him that Percy would be there at #25.

I also wouldn't put it past Burke to revisit one of those deals he said he had 1sts in place at the deadline if a player is still on the board that our scouts really covet.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML91 View Post
I totally agree if we do trade bc our guy isn't a 5 then get a forward and then a dman but my buddy who is habs fan and feels that they will choose Galy over Grigs and then the Islanders have to choose between a dman Grigs and Forsberg and if they choose a dman bc that is what they need then we would choose between Grigs and Forsberg then who do you choose
You take Forsberg and run..

Old
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
I posted a month ago or more that there is not much to choose from between Faksa and Gaunce.

IMO if we get 1 of the 2, and draft one of the D that we have been mentioned so much here for the past month, including Finn or Ceci who are often forgotten. I feel this draft would have been highly successful for us. We addressed 2 needs as opposed to 1.

It really comes down to Morrison, we know Burke values his opinion as he wanted to pick Percy before Biggs last year, but Morrison advised him rightfully if he wanted both he had to move the 30-39th for the 22nd pick while assuring him that Percy would be there at #25.

I also wouldn't put it past Burke to revisit one of those deals he said he had 1sts in place at the deadline if a player is still on the board that our scouts really covet.
I wouldn't mind if we did that and drafted Scott Laughton with the pick (assuming it's a late 1st).

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
mydnyte

Quote:

I dont think he did ...i think he expected someone else to be available who wasnt, and grabbed Bailey.

Moving down is stupid, and it's burned the Leafs in the past.

your player is available, and you move down knowing what the teams behind you want, and then, another team trades up and scoops your player.

1994, Nordiques had picks 9, and 10 ...Leafs wanted Brett Lindros, and moved up to spot 10 knowing the Nordiques were not going to pick him.
...then the Nordiques traded pick #9 to the isles who picked Lindros, and left the Leafs table aghast holding a Lindros jersey that was visible under their table ...Leafs then dropped down again to 16 and picked superflop Eric Fichaud

Leafs Traded Rob Pearson, 1994 first round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner) to Capitals for Mike Ridley, 1994 first round pick (#16-Eric Fichaud) on 1994-06-28
...what a price to move DOWN!!

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote