HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis Interview

Old
05-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I wouldn't mind if we did that and drafted Scott Laughton with the pick (assuming it's a late 1st).
I hear his stock is not of the facebook variety lately.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
TML91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
You take Forsberg and run..
I have been falling in love with this kid the way he plays and seems perfect for our team and could be ready this year or next

TML91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I posted a month ago or more that there is not much to choose from between Faksa and Gaunce.

IMO if we get 1 of the 2, and draft one of the D that we have been mentioned so much here for the past month, including Finn or Ceci who are often forgotten. I feel this draft would have been highly successful for us. We addressed 2 needs as opposed to 1.

It really comes down to Morrison, we know Burke values his opinion as he wanted to pick Percy before Biggs last year, but Morrison advised him rightfully if he wanted both he had to move the 30-39th for the 22nd pick while assuring him that Percy would be there at #25.

I also wouldn't put it past Burke to revisit one of those deals he said he had 1sts in place at the deadline if a player is still on the board that our scouts really covet.
Girgensen was very high, might even have been top 5 on some lists, at one time.

Kind of like Biggs was at one time.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I dont think he did ...i think he expected someone else to be available who wasnt, and grabbed Bailey.

Moving down is stupid, and it's burned the Leafs in the past.

your player is available, and you move down knowing what the teams behind you want, and then, another team trades up and scoops your player.

1994, Nordiques had picks 9, and 10 ...Leafs wanted Brett Lindros, and moved up to spot 10 knowing the Nordiques were not going to pick him.
...then the Nordiques traded pick #9 to the isles who picked Lindros, and left the Leafs table aghast holding a Lindros jersey that was visible under their table ...Leafs then dropped down again to 16 and picked superflop Eric Fichaud

Leafs Traded Rob Pearson, 1994 first round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner) to Capitals for Mike Ridley, 1994 first round pick (#16-Eric Fichaud) on 1994-06-28
...what a price to move DOWN!!
I'd consider the Capitals two 1st. rounders for the Leafs' 5th., especially if they aren't getting one of Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. You can grab a defender in the top 15 and be just as happy as the top 5.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I dont think he did ...i think he expected someone else to be available who wasnt, and grabbed Bailey.

your player is available, and you move down knowing what the teams behind you want, and then, another team trades up and scoops your player.

1994, Nordiques had picks 9, and 10 ...Leafs wanted Brett Lindros, and moved up to spot 10 knowing the Nordiques were not going to pick him.
...then the Nordiques traded pick #9 to the isles who picked Lindros, and left the Leafs table aghast holding a Lindros jersey that was visible under their table ...Leafs then dropped down again to 16 and picked superflop Eric Fichaud

Leafs Traded Rob Pearson, 1994 first round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner) to Capitals for Mike Ridley, 1994 first round pick (#16-Eric Fichaud) on 1994-06-28
That's the debate we have here, some feel we should swing for the fences, some may feel a strike out would be devastating to this organization at this time.

Moving down is not only the prudent thing to do but the right thing to do to address multiple needs while maximizing an asset.

If losing out on a Hossa at tops, is what I heard is the comparison for Gally is, then it won't cripple this organization. If he lost out on a Toews which we are not remotely close to, then I would agree with you.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:42 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnizzle View Post
Some points I caught.

- AHL Playoffs have provided great experience for Gardiner and Frattin.
- Impressed with Scrivens, has performed at a higher level then expected.
- Scrivens will get a chance to make the team next training camp
- High rated prospects could easily fall in this draft, teams positional needs can change everything. A lot of great D prospects with different abilities.
- More likely to make trades then UFA's. May go after 1 or 2 FA's but primary improvement will come from trade.- Today's his birthday Lol.
yes

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:42 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
That's the debate we have here, some feel we should swing for the fences, some may feel a strike out would be devastating to this organization at this time.

Moving down is not only the prudent thing to do but the right thing to do to address multiple needs while maximizing an asset.

If losing out on a Hossa at tops, is what I heard is the comparison for Gally is, then it won't cripple this organization. If he lost out on a Toews which we are not remotely close to, then I would agree with you.
O would take a Hossa in this organization in a heart beat. That is a problem with Leaf Land. We skip over elite talent for just regular players. We need top end players and don't discount the room Hossa gives guys like Toews and Kane since he draws defenders out there.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Girgensen was very high, might even have been top 5 on some lists, at one time.

Kind of like Biggs was at one time.
I like him, not me but from others have noted, the only negative is the competition he has played against this year.

Whatever happens I trust Morrison to make the best decisions for the organization. If that is Gally then Gally it is, if it is Dumba or Reinhart, then so be it.

Personally I want to see Burke take action with advice from our scouts to max out our assets. This could be a pivotal draft for us when we look back.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
O would take a Hossa in this organization in a heart beat. That is a problem with Leaf Land. We skip over elite talent for just regular players. We need top end players and don't discount the room Hossa gives guys like Toews and Kane since he draws defenders out there.
As good as Hossa is, he is still a support player. A very good one, but not one that either makes or breaks an organization.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

grabovsky hossa would be good

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:55 AM
pspot

Quote:
As good as Hossa is, he is still a support player. A very good one, but not one that either makes or breaks an organization.
I'd be happy with another Kessel level from the 5th
if they turn out to be better great but that would be a pretty great return

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Kyle93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Yeah, I think their D is a bigger problem. They are also standing to lose Semen too.
I think losing semen would be a much bigger problem than their D

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:00 AM
thecatch22

If we draft Trouba at 5 I'll lose my mind. If Forsberg/Gally aren't there it's most likely Grigs/Murray will be. To me you just take the leftover of Murray/Grigs/Gally/Yak/Forsberg. We're in a pretty simple spot. If you don't want to take the chance on Grigs, Reily is also another option at 5.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:00 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'd consider the Capitals two 1st. rounders for the Leafs' 5th., especially if they aren't getting one of Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. You can grab a defender in the top 15 and be just as happy as the top 5.
if the top 4 picks are all 4 of the forwards, then, sure the caps 2 picks seem like a decent deal.

I still think it unlikely that all 4 go ahead of us ...someone will always take a dman ...and i'm hoping that 2 of the d-men go instead, and we can actually have our choice between 2 (though, then for the next 20-30 years were would be hearing about how we should have taken the other player unless ours is better by a wide margin.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
He was their highest point-getter this year. That's not support, that's leading.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
He broke the Leafs with one crazy stick swing. ...though Gardiner reminds me of Berrard with his play style.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Interactif

Quote:
He broke the Leafs with one crazy stick swing. ...though Gardiner reminds me of Berrard with his play style.
That was one of the sadder moments as a Leafs fan I recall, Leafs rallied from that which is a norm against that team. Hossa and the Sens never could beat the Leafs when it counted. Ie. The playoffs

Old
05-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:

Good times....

Thanks for bringing up the past like a dead, rotten horse corpse out of a stinky assed grave.

I just threw up in my mouth a little

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:16 AM
The Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
There's no way the Leafs should pass up on the chance to get Galy. If he falls to the 5th, we pick him and we run home. If the Leafs trade down and get him, even better.

So what if the Leafs trade down with Washington, so Washington can get a defenseman? Then some how Gally falls all the way down to Washington's pick and the Leafs steal him. And then pick Gaunce or Wilson in the later first. That'd be a huge draft for the Leafs, IMO.
Love the idea of getting two guys in the 1st round rather than one... I'm just bit worried that Gaunce will turn out to be another Chad Kilger... or Scott Thornton (meaning a big pivot without enough pure skill to score in the NHL). Can someone who watches the OHL comment on his game?

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps230 View Post
Faksa, rated anywhere from 8-15, We'll probably pick him 5th
I'll be pissed if that happens, he's not a top 5 pick.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'll be pissed if that happens, he's not a top 5 pick.
He is if we draft him at 5. You and I don't know **** about these players. We're going by public rankings, or some games we've watched.

Our scouts and BB on the other hand, spend hours and hours of time watching them play, talking to their coaches, intereviewing them, etc and use their expertise to make the best decision.

If they believe he can be better for us than the other guys, then we will pick him. Where other people rank players doesn't affect us at all.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
if this team trades that 5th overall, this team fails again.... When are we going to learn that trading our picks will just come back and bite us in the asss over and over again.... my god,,,, ****KING DRAFT WITH YOUR OWN PICK AND MOVE ON! JUST LIKE ANY OTHER TEAM!!!
Huh? If the Leafs swing a deal with Washington for the 11th and 16th OA that's a big upgrade over the 5th OA. Those picks combined are worth the equivalent of 3rd OA. Trading down, especially if the guy they are targeting slips that far down, makes loads of sense.

That way the Leafs get two guys capable of augmenting the organizational depth rather than just one.

Most teams don't do what most teams do. You can't just have a tunnel-vision game plan. You work on the fly.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Edgeworth*

I'd say it would be Rielly or Reinhart, someone who has top pairing potential but will be there past 5. I mean it makes sense, look at Galchenyuk and Grigo, the two top centers, and they're full of question marks. Galchenyuk with his injury history and Grigo with his enigmatic ethic.

Flip down and pick up a quality D-man prospect with higher upside then Gardiner/Schenn and pick up a center prospect that could actually battle Colborne for 2C (maybe 1C) and it's a good mix to add.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:10 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

The Leafs prospect depth is good in all departments but they need more star power. I expect the Leafs to target the BPA regardless of position and strongly expect them to trade down if the right offer is made.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:12 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
I'd say it would be Rielly or Reinhart, someone who has top pairing potential but will be there past 5. I mean it makes sense, look at Galchenyuk and Grigo, the two top centers, and they're full of question marks. Galchenyuk with his injury history and Grigo with his enigmatic ethic.

Flip down and pick up a quality D-man prospect with higher upside then Gardiner/Schenn and pick up a center prospect that could actually battle Colborne for 2C (maybe 1C) and it's a good mix to add.
I may have picked a bad day to watch Reinhart, however last night he was extremely underwhelming. Poor puck control/movement, and very slow feet. It was a terrible game all around for Edmonton

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote