HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with John Tortorella?

Old
05-20-2012, 04:58 PM
30theking

vCash: 500
new york radio has so many idiots its sad. most of them are hard to listen to. I.E. michael kay, mike francesa, craig carton, don imus, joe benigno, evan roberts.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Blue Seat Spartan
Ants All In!

Thank goodness that I'm starting to see Tortorella's method to his madness. Good job of him finally getting Steve Eminger in the lineup, rust notwithstanding. Having an extra pair of fresh legs will do wonders to the Rangers D corps, which had trouble with the Devils' forecheck pressure. My only concern with Eminger is his ability to read plays after sitting so long, and I'm alright with Torts' sitting him down going into the third period.

As for post-game press conferences, it's refreshing to hear Torts *****ing away about the refereeing. It means that the Rangers are doing things right on the ice and not giving him grounds to be tact and a jerk to the journalists questioning him. Then again, Tortorella is relishing the role of the stoic in the press conferences and not giving away hints to the media or his team's opponent.

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:52 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I've never seen the media and fans get so upset about what a coach says or doesn't say during his press conferences. But it makes sense since they feed off these quotes for their articles and radio shows. And yes, of course it's an act. It's calculated. It has a purpose. Just like everything else the coach does during the season. And after it, too. Just go back and look at video of Tampa's Cup-clinching game in 2004. Tortorella didn't say much other than give all the credit to his players. He wants to be the target of any negative attention while allowing his players to take all the credit for the team's success. Every line of print taken up criticizing Tortorella is one less line available to report a bad play by a player.

And SupersonicMonkey is right about Pierre. Same goes for most NHL media personalities when they're on the radio as opposed to their "day job" working for a network. Much more candid and honest. JD, Sam Rosen, Olczyk, Emrick, etc. all have much more interesting and honest ideas about the game when they're on the radio as opposed to working a game.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:59 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

This is Torts M.O....he doesn't throw his players under the bus and he doesn't reveal what he plans to do...today I think he was genuinely upset DeBoer called Prust a "blatant headhunter"

but the most important thing is he has once again turned the focus away from his team and on him...nobody is asking the players about fatigue or about how tilted the ice has been in many of the games.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:53 PM
RangerFury

I absolutely love what Torts is doing right now, especially with his latest act of accusing the devs of exaggerating hits.

He's pissing the right people off, so that its become an "us against the world" thingy. He protects his players outside of the room, but holds them accountable within it.

RangerFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:42 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
look, don lagreca put it best. tortorella is a smart, and wam hearted guy who happens to be a no BS cut throat coach. he hit the nail on the head that the media asks dumb questions and the media is the outlet to the fans...ive watched tortorella do press conferences after losses during the regular season and nothing is wrong with him or up with him he answers the same dumb questions every night. he doesnt owe any of us or the media an explanation to anything especially because hes getting the job done

ALSO: anyone see sutter's press conference tonight? seemed frustrated at the beginning of the press conference blatantly calling out the media. the stupid media puts way too much of a twist on things. i feel like id be the same way as a coach. even dealing with parents coaching at the lower levels is annoying now. have you ever had to sit in a press conference without cameras and recorders in your face and have pissed off parents who pay thousands of dollars each year asking you stupid irrelevant questions after a loss? pretty annoying

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:58 AM
NYRJules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=UPGtxTL-0X4#!

This needs to be seen, it's good stuff, real good stuff

NYRJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJules View Post

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:25 AM
nhnyr88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJules View Post

...I'm starting to suspect Torts takes special meds on off days. Either that or his heart is struggling like most of us fans before during and after the action on game night, altering his ability to communicate effectively, especially after a loss. The latter is probably true.

nhnyr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:31 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
This is Torts M.O....he doesn't throw his players under the bus and he doesn't reveal what he plans to do...today I think he was genuinely upset DeBoer called Prust a "blatant headhunter"

but the most important thing is he has once again turned the focus away from his team and on him...nobody is asking the players about fatigue or about how tilted the ice has been in many of the games.
While he certainly protects his players, he threw John Grahame under the bus way back when he had to pull him two games in a row. Remember when we had that whole "who is a Torts kinda player?" well I think if you aren't one, he'll throw you to the curb.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
While he certainly protects his players, he threw John Grahame under the bus way back when he had to pull him two games in a row. Remember when we had that whole "who is a Torts kinda player?" well I think if you aren't one, he'll throw you to the curb.
Goaltenders he's willing to call out.

I've heard him say "Our goaltender needs to make a god damn save" a few different times.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
That's a little different because his goalies ****ing sucked really bad back then. As a coach I think he had exhausted all his possible options to get better play from in net, so he figured he'd might as well let the media know he was frustrated with the play there.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
koz2393

picked this article up from puckdaddy. Good read on the man behind the 1 minute pressers.
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...tense_and.html

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote