HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to do when you're one of the least skilled people on your team?

Old
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
punkr0x

vCash: 500
Play hard, and most importantly play clean! Everyone can respect a player who is out there trying hard to improve and make the right plays. No one likes a guy who starts hacking and slashing because he is less skilled though.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Firestorm

Yesterday, I played well in the two games that we played. I stayed close to their net. In total, I had two goals and two (primary) assists. I'm pretty happy with that. Battled for the ball in the corners.

The only worry is that when I get the adrenaline going, that I might do something that might hurt someone (which ordinarily I would never do).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Gibson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
The only worry is that when I get the adrenaline going, that I might do something that might hurt someone (which ordinarily I would never do).
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're normally a terrible person, the adrenaline isn't gonna change you all that much.

If I get hit (in non contact league) or someone is otherwise douching it up, my first thought is I'm gonna drill him the next chance I get, but like 2 seconds later I realize how stupid that is. Or even when people talk **** during a blowout, I think to myself I'm gonna put that guy on the ground so hard, but I never do cause that's just not my style.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Firestorm

Update:

My primary position is usually RW and look for garbage goals and such. I had one really good set of games (we play to 10 goals each game, so we usually get 3 games in). I scored about 5 goals over a 3 game span and set up a couple. Generally my offensive effort is more consistent now (I still need to work scoring on the cross-floor pass).

My defense is reasonably decent, I always just try to get the ball out of the zone (there's no icing so there is a benefit to this).

There is a few things I need to work on. The first is my hockey vision. I'll give you an example: I was playing defense and battling really hard in our own end in the corner for the ball from one of the most skilled guys on the opposing team. I eventually got the ball away from him but threw the ball in front of our goal (which was not smart in hindsight) where the least skilled guy in the league (on their team) scored. Ugh. Another example is that I tend to throw the ball in front of the opposing net but there's no one there to capitalize. We don't get that much time to think since the gym isn't that big and there tends to be 10 guys in this gym at one time.

I think I need to change my stick because the angle is too low for when I lean to shoot the puck (I feel like I bend down too much).

One thing that I feel really guilty about is that I complain a little too much for a "just for fun" league. An example is that I always look how the talent is distributed on the teams and I sometimes make a big deal how the talent is all on one team and what not. I just take these much more seriously than I should because I really get competitive since I hate losing.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
hockeymass

Always avoid throwing the puck/ball in front of your own net, and especially when opposing players are in your zone.

As far as the complaining thing, just be conscious of it. When you feel yourself about to say something, just choke it down.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
TUCKER 06

I have a couple pointers for you, you can take or leave them.

You say you need to work on your ability to receive the cross ice passes. I'm on the ice 3 times a week, which is plenty. But on my off days, I will take my roller blades, gloves, a practice stick (wood, no tape) and a road hockey ball over to the school yard beside my house and shoot against the wall for an hour or two. Even if you for-go the roller blades and continuously shoot the ball against the wall it's great practice for the hand-eye co-ordination needed to receive and convert those cross ice passes. I also practice my puck handling by roller blading and stick handling on the school's tarmac. I found this improved my decision-making and reaction time with the puck and I no longer feel that panic when I first get the puck on my stick. I am much more confident and comfortable in the decisions I make while carrying the puck.

As for the complaining and competitiveness you display during games...We all get frustrated. It's all in how you handle yourself in those situations that makes the difference. Some people freak out (and that's the easy route to take) when things aren't going their way.

Recently I've had a rough couple of weeks. I've become very frustrated when I screw up a play or don't play to the ability I believe I should be. I started coming to the rink with a bad attitude and partially blaming some of the guys I play with for lacking in skill (I never said a thing to them and wouldn't ever lash out like that). But I found that just kept adding to my s#!tty game and I was becoming more frustrated.

Finally I decided that I needed to re-evaluate my attitude. I realized I've been slacking off in the off-ice training since summer sessions started and so I put my head down and got to work on my endurance and speed/strength. I also made sure to arrive at the rink thinking positively and to banish all negativity out of my head.

The next game out (pick-up), I noticed that the other team was a majority of guys who were at a pretty high skill level and our team was made up of a bunch of dusters, me and a couple of my buddies who are very good. I started to say something about how unbalanced the teams were, but figured people didn't want to hear me ***** and moan and just let things be to see if they'd even out. They didn't, but I had a great game. I played hard and tried to win every battle for the puck. I didn't let any negativity affect my game and I think because of that the hockey gods rewarded me with a hat-trick and compliments from my very skilled buddies after the game.

It's so much more fun when you don't have that negativity in your mind. It is infectious and you'll find that it stays with you from game to game.

Kind of long-winded, I admit, but hopefully helpful.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
All i ever ask for from an unskilled player is that they try hard. Forecheck/backcheck and hustle. Don't try to be fancy.

Everyone is welcome to play this great game. The only people who ever frustrate me are selfish and want to act like hot shots. Keep busting your butt out there JAHF!

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

So, it's skill you say you want to learn? Dedicate at least 10 solid minutes a day stickhandling a smartball or an orange ball if you prefer to stick with ball hockey for now. USA hockey has fantastic drills that really refined my hands.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Sign with the Leafs

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Sign with the Leafs
ahahahahahaha

Old
05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Danglous

Just keep your feet moving and try to get open

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Firestorm

Another update:

Today went REALLY well. Got a hat-trick in the first game, then scored 6 in total over all the games.

There is one problem that I forgot to mention, one that I really have to work on. When I get competitive and the adrenaline gets going, I start to slash. Usually, I just slash at the opposing players stick when fighting it out. Sometimes though, I slash on the player. I know that no one likes a slasher but I have a lot of aggression when I play.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:09 PM
ShaggyRogers
Mystery in Tampa

Practice and don't lose confidence.

Last edited by ShaggyRogers: 05-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.
ShaggyRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
PaperworkNinja

As one of the slower learners in my learn to play league, I do this:

skate, keep skating, keep skating until my legs stop, then try to get over to the bench as fast as I can. I also poke check as much as I can to get the puck to someone who might be better able to score. It's little stuff like that that will help your team. Go get some assists when you can, and you'll be all right.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
dlam

One time I was really irritated at this guy on my line who would lose the puck every time I pass it to him
I just told him to park himself in front on the net to get loose pucks
Carrying the puck , skating and shooting are skills that should be developed at your own time
I'm not passing the puck to someone that loses it right away.

dlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:20 PM
SCritical

Above all? Be nice. Chat to people on the bench, congratulate your teammates for good plays, make jokes and laugh at your own mistakes. People will be ok with you fumbling on the ice if you're fun to be around. I mean, most of us are playing rec hockey, so isn't having fun the most important thing here?

If you're like that and some guys still want to look down on you, or give you lip when you make mistakes...well, those guys are probably the jerks throwing their helmets, breaking their sticks and mouthing off when the game doesn't go their way. No matter how many points this guy has - no-one likes this guy. No -one wants to have a beer with him afterwards. I'd rather be the lovable idiot than the talented jerk!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlam View Post
One time I was really irritated at this guy on my line who would lose the puck every time I pass it to him
Carrying the puck , skating and shooting are skills that should be developed at your own time
I coached a bantam team there was this kid on the team, who was slashing his own teamate across the back of the legs all the while yelling give me the puck.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:47 AM
VerySuperFamous

Are you sizeable/able to protect the puck well?

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Maccas

Quote:
To be honest this mentality really annoys me, if its an uber-competitive game then fair enough but tbh if we are talking serious league games then someone of this level probably shouldn't be playing. But if its only beer league then whats the point? If these guys aren't put in a position to succeed then how the hell are they gonna improve?
From personal experience I have learnt a lot more in game situations than I have in training because there is that added pressure and the tempo is much higher than in training. It does help however that I have a very good bunch around me who are always helpful and do always play as a team rather than thinking "That guy sucks so although he is clear open I'll just skate it through these two defenders myself instead"
Parking yourself infront of the net teaches you very little and to be honest is only going to lead to them getting frustrated and down on themselves and probably resent their team for not giving them a chance.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
I thought beer league was for fun. As someone mentioned it's one thing if this is a highly competitive league with higher level players, but if it's for fun you may want to rethink this. Everyone starts somewhere. There is a time when you sucked too. If you discourage new guys, they will lose all confidence and not enjoy the game. Be supportive.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
emgsa85

Location location location. Be in the right spot aka screens and such on offense and preventing them on defense. I'm kinda buzzed so I don't feel like typing more.... But just remember LOCATION! Haha

emgsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
dlam

How do you like it when you have an offense rush and the unskill player can't even a soft pass right on his stick striding over the blue line? (I had to pass to him otherwise it would offside)Or turns it over the moment he tries to do anything with the puck
I'm not saying I would not play with him but I think he had to know his role is a decoy
skate to the open wing toward the net and i will pass if he has a wide open net to shoot at .
Yea I sucked first time I played organized hockey on ice cause I couldn't skate well
I remember being embarrassed flopping on the ice but I practise during my own time and become I good skater
I encourage players to become better and I seen players develop over a season but I think you should play to your abilities
Theres nothing wrong with being in front of the net and scoring off rebounds or delecting shots .
It can be fun as long as you don't get to chippy

dlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Beer league is friggin SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:56 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Beer league is friggin SERIOUS BUSINESS.

So, on Friday night, I was playing on a line with a guy who was playing in his first ever ice hockey game on the right wing and I was on the left. He didn't understand offsides, so our line was constantly going offsides and/or needing to bactrack to get him to get out of the zone. But, rather than doing what the drill sergeant here suggests, we let him know how offsides works, and he started to get it and we let him keep doing his thing otherwise. Then, he gets an assist on the game winner.

At least in low level beer league, which I assume the guy dlam is talking about is in, it seems like just about everybody loses the puck quickly at least half of the time that they're passed to. Some guys just gotta lighten up.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote