HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rule says MacKinnon can't play in Canada-Russia Challenge

Old
05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Rule says MacKinnon can't play in Canada-Russia Challenge

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=396734

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
bruinsfan46

What is the summer under 18 program that he didn't participate in? I have no idea what that is, he's playing at the Hlinka, is that not the summer under 18 tournament?

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:09 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
The rule says players 17 and younger who have not been a part of Canada's summer Under-18 program are not eligible to participate in the Under-20 development camp.
Anyone know if this means he's precluded from participating the World Juniors in Dec/Jan (assuming he makes the team)?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
Stupid rule. Just handicaps hockey Canada.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:07 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Stupid rule. Just handicaps hockey Canada.
Only Hockey Canada could come up with such an obscure rule and enforce it. I thought MacKinnon deserved a shot at camp this best December, although I did understand why they passed, but at some point they have to look at this as a special case.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:39 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
What is the summer under 18 program that he didn't participate in? I have no idea what that is, he's playing at the Hlinka, is that not the summer under 18 tournament?
He's basically being penalized because his team did too well and he wasn't able to play in the IIHF U18's.
And yes, he'll be at the Ivan Hlinka, but that will be taking place at the same time as this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Anyone know if this means he's precluded from participating the World Juniors in Dec/Jan (assuming he makes the team)?
No, he can be invited to the camp in December and make the team.
He's just not allowed to participate in the Canada-Russia challenge.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:17 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Shocking this was not mentioned when tickets went on sale. Because he carried his team to the 3rd round in the Q playoffs, cementing his place among the best players in the league, he is ruled ineligible. Hopefully there will be enough backlash to make it happen.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

This is really a developing story out here in Halifax (and Matthew Wuest from the local Metro news is doing a great job covering it).

Since the initial confirmation of the rule by Hockey Canada's director of communications Andre Brin, Hockey Canada has back-tracked a bit from that stand.

A recent press conference with the senior director of hockey operations Scott Salmond and the coach Steve Spott basically said they weren't making any firm decisions yet and would wait until they sat down to form the team.

Obviously, marketing to the local community is important for their ticket sales efforts (and for making this event a success, considering this is a new effort for Hockey Canada), so that has to factor into it too.

05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
This is really a developing story out here in Halifax (and Matthew Wuest from the local Metro news is doing a great job covering it).

Since the initial confirmation of the rule by Hockey Canada's director of communications Andre Brin, Hockey Canada has back-tracked a bit from that stand.

A recent press conference with the senior director of hockey operations Scott Salmond and the coach Steve Spott basically said they weren't making any firm decisions yet and would wait until they sat down to form the team.

Obviously, marketing to the local community is important for their ticket sales efforts (and for making this event a success, considering this is a new effort for Hockey Canada), so that has to factor into it too.
Hopefully they'll overturn this stupid, stupid decision. It's not MacKinnon's fault he hasn't played an U18 event. Hockey Canada has painted itself into a corner with a dumb rule that isn't even necessary. I'm sure it's designed to make sure players don't say no to events, but it's not an issue with young Canadian players. They want to play at the U17s, U18s and the WJCs. This series is supposed to be aimed in part at helping put together the next world junior team. If that's the case, what better way to see if MacKinnon is capable of playing at that level?

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
LeafDangler

There really isn't an issue with the rule. It makes sense and the Ivan Hlinka will be a great development experience. If he's as good as he's supposed to be he'll have no problem impressing and being at the December camp.

Where I do have an issue is the marketing of the game in Halifax. You have to make this clear to the public before you start selling tickets. Especially when Mooseheads ST holders get an advance email about it. There are now 3000 fans with tickets that are a little disappointed right now.

Not a big deal but should have been handled better.

Last edited by LeafDangler: 05-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.
LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Macman

The problem with rules is there are exceptions to all of them and MacKinnon might be one.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Scarecrow Boat

I'm glad this came out early enough. I was going just to see MacKinnon in a new setting but now I'm not wasting the cash.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:54 AM
bigdirty

Look at the Canadian forwards available in this year's draft. Now look at the one's for next year's draft. Canada could really use some of these younger guys for this series. If they're going to change the rules so that it's four games vs. Russia instead of an evaluation camp, it would've made sense to also change the rules to allow the best players possible to play.

Of course, not playing at the same time as the Ivan Hlinka also would've made sense.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I remember a few years ago that Hockey Canada changed a rule so that a few players or a player could play in the WJC. I want to say Weiss via 2001 or 2002.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote