HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sunk in yet?

Old
05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
If they lose in the Finals you will know what I mean. It felt awful in 1993.
I was a Kings fan in 1993 and yes it felt awful. Especially since I was just a teenager then and living at home with a dad who was a huge Montreal fan.

That said, no way I say that this means nothing. This is huge and is to be celebrated. We are fans, I understand the players not getting caught up in it yet, but we don't have to worry about the happy times clouding our ability to perform. We toast every win all season long, I'm not about to start saying playoff wins and conference titles mean nothing.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

I'm 18 and started liking the Kings in 03-04 right before the lockout for some reason (9 years old) , so honestly the first ever success I've had as a fan was the Kings MAKING the playoffs against the Canucks 2 seasons ago.

Being terrible for so many seasons and getting made fun of for liking this team has paid off in such an awesome way, it feels so much better knowing you've been through the hard times.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Understandable. We've had 3 series wins in 7 weeks. Prior to that, we had one series win in the last 18 years.
Wow, when you put it like that, it really puts my time as a Kings fan in focus. I became a Kings fan during the Campbell Conference Finals in 1993... so until this playoffs began, I'd seen a grand total of TWO series victories in my ENTIRE time as a Kings fan... one of which was the first series I ever saw (and I didn't even see all of that one).

I knew I was frustrated as a Kings fan, and had a sense of inevitable disappointment every year... but this really does help explain WHY. And why, in a lot of ways, no, it hasn't sunk in yet. More series wins in seven weeks than I had ever seen the rest of my fan life.

Just mindblowing.

Is it Wednesday yet?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
RyWill09

No it has not sunk in yet...it still feels very much sureal...it's going to be intense on Wednesday!!!! To quote @theroyalhalf: "Barf. Barf. Barf. Barf. Cry. Barf."

RyWill09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:05 PM
yankeeking

**** 93, **** montreal, Double **** mcsorley, lets not steal our enjoyment of this every night has been awesome, hell every shift the boys are playing there ***** off, lets enjoy now......... we all know how hard it is to get to this spot if we fall short we cry a little then lookk back at how great this has been BUT with that said
this is the best goalie we ever had, best defence 1-6 than we have ever had and a great group of forwards and a coach that is battle tested and looking forward to his first ring so he is all in so this is IMO the best shot we have ever had so lets enjoy the hell out of this GO KINGS GO

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-25-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: don't circumvent the filter please - let it do its job.
yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:14 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Nevermind sunk in yet for us, can you imagine a few of these players? Fraser likely thought he'd be bought out and maybe facing a stint in the AHL or Europe after the Smyth trade. Now he's a solid piece in our bottom six. Voynov was likely pissed at being back in the AHL at the start of the season, now he's an important part of the best D in the playoffs. Nolan likely figured he was stuck in Manchester all year while King was likely wondering if his slow start this year killed his NHL dreams, now they are credited with being the parts that keyed the big turn around. Carter thought he was in NHL purgatory in COlumbus, now he's back romming with his BFF and in the cup finals. Just two months ago Penner was going through a seperation/divorce and getting booed by everyone, likely even his own mom. Now he's the darling of the cup drive. I likely could go on and on. Doughty likely wondered if he was getting traded during the contract dispute, not he's a darkhorse for the Conn Smythe.

And of course Sutter. He was herding cattle seven months ago, now he's four wins from a cup. We are having trouble letting this sink in, I'm sure theya re too.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It still hasn't sunk in yet for me either, I think part of it has to do with how Game 5 ended with the Coyotes acting like babies. Maybe it's that I want to see the Kings beat them again, I don't know what it is, but that awkward end with the Coyotes players charging at the ref, Smith taking a swipe with his stick at Richards, and the way they handled themselves during the handshakes didn't make me think that the Kings had advanced to the Cup Finals. I guess I'm waiting until I see them in uniform with the Stanley Cup patch on their sweaters.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yes but I had a feeling that we would either end up here or get close to it. So happy to see for the first time a team that was for the most part built from within and is loaded with talent that should keep us up here for the next few years.

For me the best part of this run has been the way that all of the Kings fans have been coming together and putting aside past differences to cheer our boys on to the finals.

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A KINGS FAN AGAIN!!!!!!

(even if it never stopped being a great day for most of us)

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It still hasn't sunk in yet for me either, I think part of it has to do with how Game 5 ended with the Coyotes acting like babies. Maybe it's that I want to see the Kings beat them again, I don't know what it is, but that awkward end with the Coyotes players charging at the ref, Smith taking a swipe with his stick at Richards, and the way they handled themselves during the handshakes didn't make me think that the Kings had advanced to the Cup Finals. I guess I'm waiting until I see them in uniform with the Stanley Cup patch on their sweaters.
I get what you're saying. I don't think it'll really sink in until I see them game-time Wednesday lined up for the anthem.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Yes but I had a feeling that we would either end up here or get close to it. So happy to see for the first time a team that was for the most part built from within and is loaded with talent that should keep us up here for the next few years.

For me the best part of this run has been the way that all of the Kings fans have been coming together and putting aside past differences to cheer our boys on to the finals.

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A KINGS FAN AGAIN!!!!!!

(even if it never stopped being a great day for most of us)
For the past few years I expected us to be here too at this point (well, not the finals, but the conference finals at least). That was until this year. The way we struggled and needed to fire the coach, make the trade for Carter, had trouble scoring, I doubted my belief and thought maybe I was off a year. Maybe it's next year we should be watching for.

Should never have doubted myself or this team. Shows how meaningless the regular season really is. Just get in. The rest can work itself out, as the playoffs are a whole nother beast.

Kudos to you TG for having the guts to stick with your beliefs. I will do the same next time (though I did say I thought we could win two riunds at the start of the playoffs )

Old
05-25-2012, 02:04 PM
PuckinA
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by depape View Post
Man, my sleeping pattern is seriously ruined after almost a month of getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning to watch the Kings' playoff run, but it was worthed

4 more! GKG
a true fan

PuckinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Hey guys, congrats so far on everything and thanks for beating 3 teams all Hawks fans hate. The Nucks and all their BS, Blues (cuz we hate em) and the Yotes who are the biggest bunch of sore losers and hypocrites I've ever seen. It was laughable seeing Doan, Smith, Hanzal and Tippett passing judgement on other teams when they have guys like Torres as well. What a joke! Thank you and Good luck in the Finals!

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:22 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Wow, when you put it like that, it really puts my time as a Kings fan in focus. I became a Kings fan during the Campbell Conference Finals in 1993... so until this playoffs began, I'd seen a grand total of TWO series victories in my ENTIRE time as a Kings fan... one of which was the first series I ever saw (and I didn't even see all of that one).

I knew I was frustrated as a Kings fan, and had a sense of inevitable disappointment every year... but this really does help explain WHY. And why, in a lot of ways, no, it hasn't sunk in yet. More series wins in seven weeks than I had ever seen the rest of my fan life.

Just mindblowing.

Is it Wednesday yet?
5 days

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

It already sunk in for me when we beat Vancouver so badly on the ice and didn't screw up that game 5 overtime. When I saw our system, talent, dominant agression and closing ability, I had an extremely strong feeling we would lose almost no games whatsoever. It was like for once all of the FAIL checkboxes were checked this time, the reasons why we normally lost in the past...this team has none of those. If it weren't for noon games, we'd be undefeated.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
I know what you mean as well, I actually celebrated Stoll's goal more than Penner's just because I had to sit back down and make sure it was a good goal because of the Yotes calling for it.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
In addition to all of those reasons, it wasn't at home.

I'll never forget the last 3 minutes of game 4 vs. St. Louis for the rest of my life. Electric doesn't even properly describe the Kings fans in Staples Center that day. I was vibrating it was so loud with 2 minutes to go. The screams of joy when Brown potted that empty netter were unlike any I've ever heard before.

I can only imagine what it would have sounded like for the Conference Final on home ice. I'm hoping (praying) we can celebrate one more series win in June on home ice. That'd be... I'd be one of those guys in the "no words" ad.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
For the past few years I expected us to be here too at this point (well, not the finals, but the conference finals at least). That was until this year. The way we struggled and needed to fire the coach, make the trade for Carter, had trouble scoring, I doubted my belief and thought maybe I was off a year. Maybe it's next year we should be watching for.

Should never have doubted myself or this team. Shows how meaningless the regular season really is. Just get in. The rest can work itself out, as the playoffs are a whole nother beast.

Kudos to you TG for having the guts to stick with your beliefs. I will do the same next time (though I did say I thought we could win two riunds at the start of the playoffs )
Thanks KF but there was also a little bit of blind faith on my part too. I think that due to the amount of time that I have been able to spend following our kids so closely for the past several years that I have had an inside edge in some ways.. Maybe an unfair advantage. I have seen who we have selected while they were developing (15 through to today) and in comparison with to their peers and so I have seen first hand how good our kids were when they started and which ones would be able to help us get to where we are today.

Last year I believed that if Kopitar hadn't been injured that we would have had a shot at the cup. Looking back I am not certain that I was right. I knew that TM wasn't the coach to get us to where we are today so expected he would be fired at some point during the season. I had a hope for the best wait and see attitude towards DS and he was critical to our success so who knew on that part.

The funny thing is that to me, our best kids have yet to join the team so it looks to me like we are loaded to be very very good for the next few years anyways.

Vey Toffi Kitsyn Kozun Andy Lowry Mersch Shore Loktionov and Schumaker up front all capable to exceptional NHL calibre prospects we look very good there and with Muzzin Nic Des Forbort and on we are loaded with exceptional D prospects one of which I believe could become a truly special player in a few years. Gibson Jones both look solid to very good goalie prospects that need seasoning but should make it as well.

I love this team both where we are now and where we will be again for the next few years.

I think your pre playoff projections were more realistic then my at times myopic rantings but either way, we both came to the same conclusions (along with several others) and here we are right where we all hope want and pray that we will end up every season.

Here is the question.

If we face the Devils how do you see the series going?

I see a brutal 6 game series with us winning the cup.

I am still trying to consider how things would go against the Rags

GREAT DAY TO BE A KINGS FAN!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
yeah, the whole gm 5 ending is still surreal to me.

I mean what planet are the Coyotes from? I've never seen such a poor display by a losing team - in ANY sport.

I could MAYBE understand some of the backlash against the Kings and/or refs if it had been a gm 7 - but is was only game 5!!

Smith taking a slash toward Richards the INSTANT after the GWG was scored?? WTF is that? Some phx poster said it was because of soemthing that Richards had done or said to Smith...? If that's even true (which I doubt), SO WHAT?!

The game ended less than 2 seconds ago and the first thing in your mind is to take a swing at the closest white jersey?? Who thinks like that?? What if he had actually HIT a Kings player and injured him?

Fines need to be handed out to send a message.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
kingsboy11
#CalderCuporbust

Its still unreal. I might not believe its true until they drop the puck on wednesday.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Scottkmlps

Now it's sunk in. Funny, it sunk in as soon as the Devils scored the winner in O.T. It was like, "Holy ****, the Kings are one of the final 2.".

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:00 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Now it's sunk in. Funny, it sunk in as soon as the Devils scored the winner in O.T. It was like, "Holy ****, the Kings are one of the final 2.".
Same here. I didn't really feel like they were in until the Devils won their series. Now it feels real.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Tadite

I'm in shock. I think it will finally sink in on Wed....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Here is the question.

If we face the Devils how do you see the series going?

I see a brutal 6 game series with us winning the cup.

I am still trying to consider how things would go against the Rags

GREAT DAY TO BE A KINGS FAN!!!
I think this will be a quick series to be honest, and I think it will come down to how well our forwards wear down their D.

If our size can get us some loose pucks and more offensive zone time, like it has for a good deal of the first three series, we should be able to get the advantage. And Quick in net helps us keep it.

If the Devils can move the puck quickly up the ice on us before we have a chance to get on them, it's another story. They have a few gam breakers in Parise, Kovalchuk and Elias we haven't faced yet in a full series. We seen what the Sedins could do to us in game four, but we already had a 3-0 lead then and the Blues and Yotes didn't have players even close to that level of firepower. New Jersey does.

It will be the ultimate test IMO, getting to their D and forcing turnovers before they can move it up ice. We do it, we win, we don't, they do.

I see this series going five or six games.