HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Forwards of All Time #15

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest forwards of all time? #15
Bobby Clarke 27 36.49%
Steve Yzerman 18 24.32%
Ted Lindsay 7 9.46%
Marcel Dionne 7 9.46%
Syl Apps 1 1.35%
Milt Schmidt 2 2.70%
Joe Malone 3 4.05%
Andy Bathgate 0 0%
Henri Richard 7 9.46%
Newsy Lalonde 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2006, 03:07 PM
  #26
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Clarke, add the Big M.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 03:57 PM
  #27
El_Scoobo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Your Imagination
Country: Canada
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
voted for Clarke for the fourth time. Add Joe Sakic.

I don't really want to jump in too much here, but I don't see why some people think Francis is so great. No way should this guy get consideration for top 20 forward of all-time imo. I've never really seen that much in him.

just my opinion.

El_Scoobo is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
  #28
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
Bobby Clarke for the 6th straight round.

Add Joe Sakic.
I think I also have voted for Clarke for 6 straight now maybe 7. Glad to see he is finally ahead and might win this one. I'll also agree with adding Sakic.

Sens Rule is online now  
Old
03-24-2006, 07:15 PM
  #29
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
Voted lindsay again. Add either Max Bentley or the Big M>

pappyline is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 08:02 PM
  #30
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 30,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Canucksfan, I know we've asked this before, but are you still looking at a top 20? Or are you going to extend this one. (The number of voters in the last poll indicates it's still going strong).
I orginally was going to do a top 20 but since it's going very well I will continue to at least a top 30.

canucksfan is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
  #31
JWINK19
southern Devils fan
 
JWINK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe
Ditto too
Ditto three.

JWINK19 is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 11:06 PM
  #32
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 32,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I wasn't just looking at points. Why don't you tell me which years you thought he wa a top 20, top 10 and top 5 player.
As I said, Francis' value can't be measured in stats. He puts up tons of points (may I remind everyone here his career numbers?), but he also was a great leader (my point about taking a weak team further than it should), his longevity, his defensive game, etc... and that from the first time he stepped foot on the ice in the NHL.
The Sakics and Yzermans needed a few good losing seasons to understand the concept of team play.
That was obvious for Francis.
So it's not really how many times he was top 5 that counts.
But rather the fact that he was one of the best all around players ever AND just about never let down his team in any season.

Evilo is online now  
Old
03-25-2006, 12:26 PM
  #33
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
As I said, Francis' value can't be measured in stats. He puts up tons of points (may I remind everyone here his career numbers?), but he also was a great leader (my point about taking a weak team further than it should), his longevity, his defensive game, etc... and that from the first time he stepped foot on the ice in the NHL.
The Sakics and Yzermans needed a few good losing seasons to understand the concept of team play.
That was obvious for Francis.
So it's not really how many times he was top 5 that counts.
But rather the fact that he was one of the best all around players ever AND just about never let down his team in any season.
So you're saying that I'm right, he was a good player for a long time, but rarely great. Don't just go by points, factor in everything and tell me when he was a top 5, 10 or 20 player in the league.

Francis had one nice playoffs while not in Pittsburgh. He was a big part of the Canes run, but he certainly didn't carry them. The BBC line and excellent goaltending were as much apart of that run as Francis was.

How often did you see Francis play in a Whalers jersey ??

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 12:35 PM
  #34
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 32,978
vCash: 500
A few times before he became a Penguin.

You avoid my point that Sakic and Yzerman needed plenty of year to understand the concept of all around play.
If you factor in all the aspects of the game, yes Francis was a top 20 forward through out his career.

Evilo is online now  
Old
03-25-2006, 12:56 PM
  #35
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
A few times before he became a Penguin.

You avoid my point that Sakic and Yzerman needed plenty of year to understand the concept of all around play.
If you factor in all the aspects of the game, yes Francis was a top 20 forward through out his career.
While Francis may have been more well-rounded at the start of his career, he was at least a step or two behind the others offensively:

First 7 seasons:

Francis: 498 games - 567 points
Sakic: 508 games - 626 points
Yzerman: 514 games - 692 points

Yzerman was clearly the best of the three players during the early part of their career, when none had much talent surrounding them.

Detroit - missed playoffs twice, won two playoff series
Hartford - missed playoffs four times, won one playoff series
Quebec - missed playoffs five times, won zero playoff series

I was speaking about a top 20 player, not just forward. If you're going to consider someone as one of the 20 or 30 best forwards of all-time, than thet player had to have years where he was a top 5 or top 10 player (including defenseman and goalies) in the game.

If you look at the top 15 so far, every player there has been the best player on the planet for a stretch of time. It's no shame being a Hall of Famer, but not on the level of the truly dominant forwards in the games history.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
  #36
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 32,978
vCash: 500
Well I guess it's a matter of preference.
You think highly of someone that dominates its era but doesn't necessarily show consistency through out his career.
I happen to think that someone who's always among the best is just as valuable.

Evilo is online now  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:43 PM
  #37
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Is someone saying Francis is better than Sakic? Sakic has basically been a top 10 player for atleast a decade..

Anyways I voted for Yzerman, it's a toss up between Geoffrion and Sakic for me...

I'll go with Sakic.

Randall Graves* is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:45 PM
  #38
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Well I guess it's a matter of preference.
You think highly of someone that dominates its era but doesn't necessarily show consistency through out his career.
I happen to think that someone who's always among the best is just as valuable.
Dominance and consistancy are both important. The best of the best combine both.

Yzerman, Sakic and Francis have all been remarkably consistant. Yzerman and Sakic were more dominant and their peak than Francis was.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:49 PM
  #39
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 28,005
vCash: 500
Voted Dionne for the 2nd straight time.
Add Killer or Gilbert Perreault

MXD is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:50 PM
  #40
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 28,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
While Francis may have been more well-rounded at the start of his career, he was at least a step or two behind the others offensively:

First 7 seasons:

Francis: 498 games - 567 points
Sakic: 508 games - 626 points
Yzerman: 514 games - 692 points

Yzerman was clearly the best of the three players during the early part of their career, when none had much talent surrounding them.

Detroit - missed playoffs twice, won two playoff series
Hartford - missed playoffs four times, won one playoff series
Quebec - missed playoffs five times, won zero playoff series

I was speaking about a top 20 player, not just forward. If you're going to consider someone as one of the 20 or 30 best forwards of all-time, than thet player had to have years where he was a top 5 or top 10 player (including defenseman and goalies) in the game.

If you look at the top 15 so far, every player there has been the best player on the planet for a stretch of time. It's no shame being a Hall of Famer, but not on the level of the truly dominant forwards in the games history.
No offense, but early Yzerman career Wings were MUCH worse than early Sakic career Nordiques...

MXD is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:53 PM
  #41
Lars
Registered User
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lars
Steve Yzerman.

Lars is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:56 PM
  #42
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD
No offense, but early Yzerman career Wings were MUCH worse than early Sakic career Nordiques...
I didn't say which of the three teams was better or worse.

As per the Red Wings from 83-89 per Quebec from 88-94, It pretty comparable. Quebec probably had more talent, but the Adams division from 88-94 was far more difficult than the Norris of 83-89, which was an absolute joke most years.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
  #43
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Well I guess it's a matter of preference.
You think highly of someone that dominates its era but doesn't necessarily show consistency through out his career.
I happen to think that someone who's always among the best is just as valuable.
The only thing is that he wasn't "always among the best", he was generally just below level of the best. Case in point, he only received votes for the Hart trophy 4 times in his 23 year career.

1985-86 – HART: T10th 1 (0-0-1); 1986-87 – HART: 9th 3 (0-1-0); 1997-98 – HART: T15th 6 (0-0-0-2-0); 2001-02 – HART: 6th 48 (1-2-3-2-3); Total: 1-3-4-4-3

BM67 is offline  
Old
03-26-2006, 04:19 AM
  #44
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 32,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
The only thing is that he wasn't "always among the best", he was generally just below level of the best. Case in point, he only received votes for the Hart trophy 4 times in his 23 year career.

1985-86 – HART: T10th 1 (0-0-1); 1986-87 – HART: 9th 3 (0-1-0); 1997-98 – HART: T15th 6 (0-0-0-2-0); 2001-02 – HART: 6th 48 (1-2-3-2-3); Total: 1-3-4-4-3
If your argument is that Francis is for ever underrated, I know that. Case in point : this thread.

Evilo is online now  
Old
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
  #45
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
If your argument is that Francis is for ever underrated, I know that. Case in point : this thread.
Compensating for his underrating by overrating him is not the way to go.

Teammates with Hart votes (other than Mario and Jagr)
85-86 - Kevin Dineen 1 (0-0-1)
86-87 - Mike Liut 39 (1-7-13); Kevin Dineen 1 (0-0-1)
90-91 - Mark Recchi 1 (0-0-1)
91-92 - Kevin Stevens 4 (0-1-1)
97-98 - Tom Barrasso 3 (0-0-0-1-0)
00-01 - Arturs Irbe 1 (0-0-0-0-1); Jeff O'Neill 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
We'll also ignore Toronto.
Francis: 1-3-4-4-3 Others: 1-8-17-1-2

BM67 is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
  #46
joe_shannon_1983*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I agree with anyone in this thread that said that Sakic > Francis.

Compatring Sakic and Francis is like comparing Yzerman and Modano. While Francis is good, he didn't put up nearly as many top 5 or top 10 calibre seasons as Sakic did.

The same goes to Modano as he compares to Yzerman.

Heck, I would even say that Yzerman and Modano are closer than Sakic and Francis are.

How many years was Francis a top 20 player in the NHL?

joe_shannon_1983* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.