HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for Henrik Lundqvist to be like Mike Richter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  #51
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
I'm not talking about international tournaments, or anything else. I'm talking about tonight. The chance for Hank to establish a legacy, the way Mike Richter established a legacy.

For Hank, the time is now. The time is tonight.

Do it Hank!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  #52
sousuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The game was harder for goalies in 1994 than it is today. I still think Lundqvist is more talented than Richter but Richter had a clutch-gene that I haven't seen from any other goalie since he retired.
I posted this in a separate thread comparing Hank with Richter a while back and it holds true here as well. Richter is a bit overrated (and he's one of my favorite all-time Rangers).

Everyone points back to 1994 (and a little bit 1996 and 1997) and says Richter was dominant and clutch. Richter's 1994 and 1996 years were amazing (yet never came close to sniffing a vezina) and his 1997 year was decent until the playoffs. Richter was also the Ranger goalie in 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. Lundqvist has never had a bad year and has been the sole reason why the Rangers, until this year (where he has some help), were in the hunt.

More importantly, however, Richter's stanley cup is skewing the overall view of his career (and many younger fans only see replays of the cup run and did not see him play every day), which is that he was a solid to above average goalie with 2-3 amazing years thrown in there. In addition, it was RICHTER who gave up a terrible goal to the Devils in Game 7 with 7 seconds left in the game and almost cost them the series. He also gave a up a goal in the last minute earlier in the series. It was Richter who was outplayed significantly in overtime of the very next game, Game 1 of the finals. Game 5, finals, Rangers battle back to tie the game....Richter gives up a goal not 5 minutes later - Rangers lose and almost blow a 3-1 lead. Game 7 of the finals, Richter came up a crossbar away from OT (and he was clearly beaten). Richter played amazingly, but people that think he played his best in the most important games are not completely correct. He was great and clutch (penalty shot, other great saves in key moments), but his teammates, picked him up when he needed them the most...whether it be Mess, Leetch, Graves, Matteau, or whoever.

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
  #53
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Just do u! do ur best and forget the rest...
http://vimeo.com/15237423

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #54
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I posted this in a separate thread comparing Hank with Richter a while back and it holds true here as well. Richter is a bit overrated (and he's one of my favorite all-time Rangers).

Everyone points back to 1994 (and a little bit 1996 and 1997) and says Richter was dominant and clutch. Richter's 1994 and 1996 years were amazing (yet never came close to sniffing a vezina) and his 1997 year was decent until the playoffs. Richter was also the Ranger goalie in 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. Lundqvist has never had a bad year and has been the sole reason why the Rangers, until this year (where he has some help), were in the hunt.

More importantly, however, Richter's stanley cup is skewing the overall view of his career (and many younger fans only see replays of the cup run and did not see him play every day), which is that he was a solid to above average goalie with 2-3 amazing years thrown in there. In addition, it was RICHTER who gave up a terrible goal to the Devils in Game 7 with 7 seconds left in the game and almost cost them the series. He also gave a up a goal in the last minute earlier in the series. It was Richter who was outplayed significantly in overtime of the very next game, Game 1 of the finals. Game 5, finals, Rangers battle back to tie the game....Richter gives up a goal not 5 minutes later - Rangers lose and almost blow a 3-1 lead. Game 7 of the finals, Richter came up a crossbar away from OT (and he was clearly beaten). Richter played amazingly, but people that think he played his best in the most important games are not completely correct. He was great and clutch (penalty shot, other great saves in key moments), but his teammates, picked him up when he needed them the most...whether it be Mess, Leetch, Graves, Matteau, or whoever.
As I said, the OP was not to compare the careers of the two goalies. This is not a Richter vs. Lundqvist thread.

That's a summer debate, for when we have nothing more important to talk about...but today we have much bigger and more immediate things on our plate.

Tonight we need Henrik Lundqvist, in the biggest game of his career, to play the biggest game of his career. Just like Mike Richter did 18 years ago.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  #55
NCRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
This is where Hank cements his legacy as a Ranger great, or he stays as someone who just couldn't get the job done.

That's not a slam on Hank in any way. However, for all the great GAMES Hank has played, he has never just taken a series and made it his own. Richter did.

Hank has had seven seasons...yeah, Richter's teams were better in the beginning, but Hank has has enough time to produce something in the playoffs, and he's just not there yet.

As for Richter, none better as a clutch goaltender when a team absolutely needed a win. However, Richter could be wildly inconsistent over the course of a season, and rarely could deliver the 1-0 or 2-1 win that was/is required in the Dead Puck Era like Hank has in the regular season.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
  #56
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
going into a game 6 do-or-die of the ecf i'd rather richter over hank any day.

that said. hank has what it takes, he just has to come out blazing.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
  #57
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  #58
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
time for the rangers core lead by hank to cement there legacy

say what you want about richter but who would you rather have in a game 6 or 7, the guy came up huge in big games, its time for hank to do the same along with richards/cally

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  #59
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.
There's your straw man argument. Nobody said that. Nice try to deflect from the original point, though.

Bottom line...we need Hank to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career...TONIGHT!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:05 PM
  #60
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Time for Hank to... continue to do what he's been doing all playoffs. He's dragged us to this point hasn't he?

Time for the offense to get some goals. Time to make fewer mistakes. Time to show up and play 3 full periods worth of hockey.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
  #61
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
I love the guy and he was great at times but please stop the "he was clutch when he had to be" stuff.

Mike Richter played parts of 15 seasons in the NHL...and he has 1 ring.

His worst PO moment I can remember was in the '92 playoffs. The Rangers were up on the Pens 2 games to 1. In Game 3, the Rangers were up 4-2 halfway through the 3rd period when Ron Francis took a shot from outside the blueline, before heading to the bench on a line change. The shot went in off Richter's glove and the Pens completed the comeback in OT. Vanbiesbrouk was in net the next game.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that Henrik has to come up big...and if he could channel a little bit of Richter's Cup run for the rest of the playoffs, that would be awesome

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
  #62
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Isn't it bad enough that the media can't stop with these inane 1994 comparisons? Now our fans have to get in on the act, too?

How about Henrik Lundqvist plays like Henrik Lundqvist, the guy who has been nominated for 4 Vezina trophies in the first 7 years of his career and has been the most consistently elite goaltender in the league ever since he made his NHL debut? How about he plays like the Henrik Lundqvist who, in the first and only time he's played behind a team that was capable of doing any damage whatsoever in the playoffs, has guided his club to game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals?
Totally agree. If this team loses tonight, Hank is the last person to blame. He put up two shutouts in this series and he's the only reason that we're even watching hockey tonight.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:22 PM
  #63
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Totally agree. If this team loses tonight, Hank is the last person to blame. He put up two shutouts in this series and he's the only reason that we're even watching hockey tonight.
From my OP:

Quote:
Before anyone changes my post to create a straw man argument...no, I do not blame Hank for the loss of any game or series.
So no need to bring 'blame' up.

Just saying Hank needs to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career. This game will be a big part of his legacy.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
  #64
evilllempire*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
From my OP:



So no need to bring 'blame' up.

Just saying Hank needs to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career. This game will be a big part of his legacy.
I'm not worried about Hank......he'll be ready to play

I'm just hoping our D give him the support he needs. No "break downs" like the last couple games if you know what I mean.

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
  #65
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
By saying "time for Hank to play like richter" you're implying Hank is inferior to Richter which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Saying, "player x needs to play great tonight" is simply stating the obvious. I could say that about every player on the team.

I'm kinda hoping our skaters go out an dominate a game that they have to.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:30 PM
  #66
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
By saying "time for Hank to play like richter" you're implying Hank is inferior to Richter which couldn't be farther from the truth.
Nope. I'm saying in the biggest game of Hank's career, he has to play like Mike Richter did in the biggest game of Richter's career.

That is all.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  #67
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Time for Richards to play like Messier.

Time for Del Zotto to play like Leetch.

Time for Gaborik to play like Kovalev.

Time for Callahan to play like Graves.


Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  #68
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Well I'm just gonna go ahead and bank on Hank playing like Hank tonight. You know the guy that's a finalist for the MVP. The guy that might be bringing home the Vezina trophy. The guy that's been our team MVP for six consecutive seasons. Don't need him to be like Richter. Just need him to be himself.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:42 PM
  #69
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:44 PM
  #70
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.
You already posted that in this thread and it was refuted...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
  #71
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Nope. I'm saying in the biggest game of Hank's career, he has to play like Mike Richter did in the biggest game of Richter's career.

That is all.
Richter played well in that Game 7 but I did not think he was great. Leetch was far and away the best player in that Series. Hank and McDonagh have been the best Rangers. Most of forwards have sucked in this plaayoff run.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  #72
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,696
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
mike richter was the BEST goalie in nhl history period.....he played in front of horrible defensive teams and was technically the best goalie to ever play the game....I dont care what anyone says about hasek roy and fatso....richter was the best ever
Oh boy. lol.

Anyway, the comparisons with '94, while fun, should slow down. Its time for this team to play like the Rangers of 2012. Henrik Lundqvist doesn't need to play like Richter because he has put himself in a position where he can be better than Richter. That starts tonight.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  #73
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Richter played well in that Game 7 but I did not think he was great. Leetch was far and away the best player in that Series. Hank and McDonagh have been the best Rangers. Most of forwards have sucked in this plaayoff run.
Well, if you read the OP, you would see that I was talking about game six. Richter was spectacular, plain and simple. Without Richter in game six, Messier's guarantee would be nothing more than a Patrick Ewing footnote...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
  #74
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
If i started this thread it would locked with 45959559 posts of what a ahole i am lol.. Hank is proved nothing at all this year if he loses this series to fatty .. sorry but the time was now

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
  #75
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Well, if you read the OP, you would see that I was talking about game six. Richter was spectacular, plain and simple. Without Richter in game six, Messier's guarantee would be nothing more than a Patrick Ewing footnote...
Richter saved our collective ***** in that game--that being said Henrik is the better goal and by a margin IMO. To my mind he's the best goalie in the league with maybe the exception of Quick.

If the Rangers team as a whole puts in a good effort we should win this.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.