HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for Henrik Lundqvist to be like Mike Richter

Old
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
I'm not talking about international tournaments, or anything else. I'm talking about tonight. The chance for Hank to establish a legacy, the way Mike Richter established a legacy.

For Hank, the time is now. The time is tonight.

Do it Hank!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The game was harder for goalies in 1994 than it is today. I still think Lundqvist is more talented than Richter but Richter had a clutch-gene that I haven't seen from any other goalie since he retired.
I posted this in a separate thread comparing Hank with Richter a while back and it holds true here as well. Richter is a bit overrated (and he's one of my favorite all-time Rangers).

Everyone points back to 1994 (and a little bit 1996 and 1997) and says Richter was dominant and clutch. Richter's 1994 and 1996 years were amazing (yet never came close to sniffing a vezina) and his 1997 year was decent until the playoffs. Richter was also the Ranger goalie in 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. Lundqvist has never had a bad year and has been the sole reason why the Rangers, until this year (where he has some help), were in the hunt.

More importantly, however, Richter's stanley cup is skewing the overall view of his career (and many younger fans only see replays of the cup run and did not see him play every day), which is that he was a solid to above average goalie with 2-3 amazing years thrown in there. In addition, it was RICHTER who gave up a terrible goal to the Devils in Game 7 with 7 seconds left in the game and almost cost them the series. He also gave a up a goal in the last minute earlier in the series. It was Richter who was outplayed significantly in overtime of the very next game, Game 1 of the finals. Game 5, finals, Rangers battle back to tie the game....Richter gives up a goal not 5 minutes later - Rangers lose and almost blow a 3-1 lead. Game 7 of the finals, Richter came up a crossbar away from OT (and he was clearly beaten). Richter played amazingly, but people that think he played his best in the most important games are not completely correct. He was great and clutch (penalty shot, other great saves in key moments), but his teammates, picked him up when he needed them the most...whether it be Mess, Leetch, Graves, Matteau, or whoever.

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Just do u! do ur best and forget the rest...
http://vimeo.com/15237423

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I posted this in a separate thread comparing Hank with Richter a while back and it holds true here as well. Richter is a bit overrated (and he's one of my favorite all-time Rangers).

Everyone points back to 1994 (and a little bit 1996 and 1997) and says Richter was dominant and clutch. Richter's 1994 and 1996 years were amazing (yet never came close to sniffing a vezina) and his 1997 year was decent until the playoffs. Richter was also the Ranger goalie in 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. Lundqvist has never had a bad year and has been the sole reason why the Rangers, until this year (where he has some help), were in the hunt.

More importantly, however, Richter's stanley cup is skewing the overall view of his career (and many younger fans only see replays of the cup run and did not see him play every day), which is that he was a solid to above average goalie with 2-3 amazing years thrown in there. In addition, it was RICHTER who gave up a terrible goal to the Devils in Game 7 with 7 seconds left in the game and almost cost them the series. He also gave a up a goal in the last minute earlier in the series. It was Richter who was outplayed significantly in overtime of the very next game, Game 1 of the finals. Game 5, finals, Rangers battle back to tie the game....Richter gives up a goal not 5 minutes later - Rangers lose and almost blow a 3-1 lead. Game 7 of the finals, Richter came up a crossbar away from OT (and he was clearly beaten). Richter played amazingly, but people that think he played his best in the most important games are not completely correct. He was great and clutch (penalty shot, other great saves in key moments), but his teammates, picked him up when he needed them the most...whether it be Mess, Leetch, Graves, Matteau, or whoever.
As I said, the OP was not to compare the careers of the two goalies. This is not a Richter vs. Lundqvist thread.

That's a summer debate, for when we have nothing more important to talk about...but today we have much bigger and more immediate things on our plate.

Tonight we need Henrik Lundqvist, in the biggest game of his career, to play the biggest game of his career. Just like Mike Richter did 18 years ago.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
NCRanger

This is where Hank cements his legacy as a Ranger great, or he stays as someone who just couldn't get the job done.

That's not a slam on Hank in any way. However, for all the great GAMES Hank has played, he has never just taken a series and made it his own. Richter did.

Hank has had seven seasons...yeah, Richter's teams were better in the beginning, but Hank has has enough time to produce something in the playoffs, and he's just not there yet.

As for Richter, none better as a clutch goaltender when a team absolutely needed a win. However, Richter could be wildly inconsistent over the course of a season, and rarely could deliver the 1-0 or 2-1 win that was/is required in the Dead Puck Era like Hank has in the regular season.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

going into a game 6 do-or-die of the ecf i'd rather richter over hank any day.

that said. hank has what it takes, he just has to come out blazing.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
chosen

According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
rangers5000

time for the rangers core lead by hank to cement there legacy

say what you want about richter but who would you rather have in a game 6 or 7, the guy came up huge in big games, its time for hank to do the same along with richards/cally

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
According to some of the flawed logic here, Osgood was better and more clutch than Richter.
There's your straw man argument. Nobody said that. Nice try to deflect from the original point, though.

Bottom line...we need Hank to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career...TONIGHT!!!

Old
05-25-2012, 02:05 PM
stan the caddy

Time for Hank to... continue to do what he's been doing all playoffs. He's dragged us to this point hasn't he?

Time for the offense to get some goals. Time to make fewer mistakes. Time to show up and play 3 full periods worth of hockey.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Chief

I love the guy and he was great at times but please stop the "he was clutch when he had to be" stuff.

Mike Richter played parts of 15 seasons in the NHL...and he has 1 ring.

His worst PO moment I can remember was in the '92 playoffs. The Rangers were up on the Pens 2 games to 1. In Game 3, the Rangers were up 4-2 halfway through the 3rd period when Ron Francis took a shot from outside the blueline, before heading to the bench on a line change. The shot went in off Richter's glove and the Pens completed the comeback in OT. Vanbiesbrouk was in net the next game.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that Henrik has to come up big...and if he could channel a little bit of Richter's Cup run for the rest of the playoffs, that would be awesome

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Isn't it bad enough that the media can't stop with these inane 1994 comparisons? Now our fans have to get in on the act, too?

How about Henrik Lundqvist plays like Henrik Lundqvist, the guy who has been nominated for 4 Vezina trophies in the first 7 years of his career and has been the most consistently elite goaltender in the league ever since he made his NHL debut? How about he plays like the Henrik Lundqvist who, in the first and only time he's played behind a team that was capable of doing any damage whatsoever in the playoffs, has guided his club to game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals?
Totally agree. If this team loses tonight, Hank is the last person to blame. He put up two shutouts in this series and he's the only reason that we're even watching hockey tonight.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Totally agree. If this team loses tonight, Hank is the last person to blame. He put up two shutouts in this series and he's the only reason that we're even watching hockey tonight.
From my OP:

Quote:
Before anyone changes my post to create a straw man argument...no, I do not blame Hank for the loss of any game or series.
So no need to bring 'blame' up.

Just saying Hank needs to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career. This game will be a big part of his legacy.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
From my OP:

So no need to bring 'blame' up.

Just saying Hank needs to play the biggest game of his career in the biggest game of his career. This game will be a big part of his legacy.
I'm not worried about Hank......he'll be ready to play

I'm just hoping our D give him the support he needs. No "break downs" like the last couple games if you know what I mean.

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
stan the caddy

By saying "time for Hank to play like richter" you're implying Hank is inferior to Richter which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Saying, "player x needs to play great tonight" is simply stating the obvious. I could say that about every player on the team.

I'm kinda hoping our skaters go out an dominate a game that they have to.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
By saying "time for Hank to play like richter" you're implying Hank is inferior to Richter which couldn't be farther from the truth.
Nope. I'm saying in the biggest game of Hank's career, he has to play like Mike Richter did in the biggest game of Richter's career.

That is all.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Crease

Time for Richards to play like Messier.

Time for Del Zotto to play like Leetch.

Time for Gaborik to play like Kovalev.

Time for Callahan to play like Graves.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
stan the caddy

Well I'm just gonna go ahead and bank on Hank playing like Hank tonight. You know the guy that's a finalist for the MVP. The guy that might be bringing home the Vezina trophy. The guy that's been our team MVP for six consecutive seasons. Don't need him to be like Richter. Just need him to be himself.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:42 PM
chosen

Old
05-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
You already posted that in this thread and it was refuted...

Old
05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
chosen

Quote:
Nope. I'm saying in the biggest game of Hank's career, he has to play like Mike Richter did in the biggest game of Richter's career.

That is all.
Richter played well in that Game 7 but I did not think he was great. Leetch was far and away the best player in that Series. Hank and McDonagh have been the best Rangers. Most of forwards have sucked in this plaayoff run.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
mike richter was the BEST goalie in nhl history period.....he played in front of horrible defensive teams and was technically the best goalie to ever play the game....I dont care what anyone says about hasek roy and fatso....richter was the best ever
Oh boy. lol.

Anyway, the comparisons with '94, while fun, should slow down. Its time for this team to play like the Rangers of 2012. Henrik Lundqvist doesn't need to play like Richter because he has put himself in a position where he can be better than Richter. That starts tonight.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Richter played well in that Game 7 but I did not think he was great. Leetch was far and away the best player in that Series. Hank and McDonagh have been the best Rangers. Most of forwards have sucked in this plaayoff run.
Well, if you read the OP, you would see that I was talking about game six. Richter was spectacular, plain and simple. Without Richter in game six, Messier's guarantee would be nothing more than a Patrick Ewing footnote...

Old
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
If i started this thread it would locked with 45959559 posts of what a ahole i am lol.. Hank is proved nothing at all this year if he loses this series to fatty .. sorry but the time was now

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Well, if you read the OP, you would see that I was talking about game six. Richter was spectacular, plain and simple. Without Richter in game six, Messier's guarantee would be nothing more than a Patrick Ewing footnote...
Richter saved our collective ***** in that game--that being said Henrik is the better goal and by a margin IMO. To my mind he's the best goalie in the league with maybe the exception of Quick.

If the Rangers team as a whole puts in a good effort we should win this.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote