HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Looking forward to the Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  #51
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Learn to taste the Koekkoek. Every bit as good as Zack Bogosian. Physical. Size. Puck-mover. Say Yes to the injury discount, especially when it's an isolated rare instance and allows you to get top 8 talent at 20. Kinda like that bout with mono did for Couturier.

I'd take Koekkoek over any defenseman not named Murray. There, I said it.

This says it all....

Career Projection – First pairing (#2) defenseman – After talking with Dave Reid, various scouts and reviewing my own notes on Koekkoek, I’m going to project him as a solid two-way number two defenseman. Koekkoek has a mean streak, the work ethic, skill set and upside to become a number one defenseman in the NHL, but because he has a little work to do in his defensive zone and it’s tough to peg someone as a sure fire number one defenseman, I’ll project him as a number two.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
  #52
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
With the way this draft appears to be panning out, I find it very tough to imagine a scenario where a defenseman isn't the "BPA" by the correct definition unless someone striking falls significantly.
I can think of two forwards that might be there at 20 who could be the BPA: Zemgus Girgensons and Tomas Hertl. This year is loaded with defensemen in the 1st round, historically however, it is more likely to find a star defensemen outside the first round versus finding a star forward. For about half of the teams in the NHL, their best defenseman was drafted outside the first. For forwards, I can only think of Dallas (Jamie Benn) who's best forward came outside the 1st round.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
  #53
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I can think of two forwards that might be there at 20 who could be the BPA: Zemgus Girgensons and Tomas Hertl. This year is loaded with defensemen in the 1st round, historically however, it is more likely to find a star defensemen outside the first round versus finding a star forward. For about half of the teams in the NHL, their best defenseman was drafted outside the first. For forwards, I can only think of Dallas (Jamie Benn) who's best forward came outside the 1st round.
I think there is at least a chance Collberg slides too. Whether he makes it to 20 is anyone's guess, but I think there's a decent shot he's there for us to consider at 20.

A lot of the sliding is going to be dependent on whether one or two of the goalie starved teams (Chicago, TB) ahead of us pulls the trigger on Subban and/or Vasilevski.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
  #54
Brindy87
Registered User
 
Brindy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Learn to taste the Koekkoek. Every bit as good as Zack Bogosian. Physical. Size. Puck-mover. Say Yes to the injury discount, especially when it's an isolated rare instance and allows you to get top 8 talent at 20. Kinda like that bout with mono did for Couturier.

I'd take Koekkoek over any defenseman not named Murray. There, I said it.

This says it all....

Career Projection – First pairing (#2) defenseman – After talking with Dave Reid, various scouts and reviewing my own notes on Koekkoek, I’m going to project him as a solid two-way number two defenseman. Koekkoek has a mean streak, the work ethic, skill set and upside to become a number one defenseman in the NHL, but because he has a little work to do in his defensive zone and it’s tough to peg someone as a sure fire number one defenseman, I’ll project him as a number two.
Think it was mentioned before, How awesome would it be to hear a tipsy Coatsey try and pronounce that name on a nightly basis?

Brindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  #55
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindy87 View Post
Think it was mentioned before, How awesome would it be to hear a tipsy Coatsey try and pronounce that name on a nightly basis?
So, it's Kuh-Kook, eh? To answer your question, flat-out awesome.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
  #56
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I think there is at least a chance Collberg slides too. Whether he makes it to 20 is anyone's guess, but I think there's a decent shot he's there for us to consider at 20.
I don't know, I think some team is bound to like Collberg.
I personally worry about how he'll develop in Frölunda because they are terrible with their youth players, but he's had plenty of success at other levels.
At least he only signed a one year contract with them so he can go to another organization if need be.

Also, he has to use the shortest stick of all draft eligible players.
Seriously, it looks like a junior stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
So, it's Kuh-Kook, eh? To answer your question, flat-out awesome.
It's actually pronounced "Koo-koo".

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
  #57
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Learn to taste the Koekkoek. Every bit as good as Zack Bogosian. Physical. Size. Puck-mover. Say Yes to the injury discount, especially when it's an isolated rare instance and allows you to get top 8 talent at 20. Kinda like that bout with mono did for Couturier.

I'd take Koekkoek over any defenseman not named Murray. There, I said it.This says it all....

Career Projection – First pairing (#2) defenseman – After talking with Dave Reid, various scouts and reviewing my own notes on Koekkoek, I’m going to project him as a solid two-way number two defenseman. Koekkoek has a mean streak, the work ethic, skill set and upside to become a number one defenseman in the NHL, but because he has a little work to do in his defensive zone and it’s tough to peg someone as a sure fire number one defenseman, I’ll project him as a number two.
I to am a Koekkoek fan. But I take Dumba and Trouba over him. Plus they are both right handers which we would like to have while Koekkoek is a lefty. Koekkoek may be there at 20 while Dumba and Trouba should go in the top ten.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:03 AM
  #58
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I to am a Koekkoek fan. But I take Dumba and Trouba over him. Plus they are both right handers which we would like to have while Koekkoek is a lefty. Koekkoek may be there at 20 while Dumba and Trouba should go in the top ten.
Eh, right-left at this point just doesn't matter much to me. Any player, especially a defenseman like Koekkoek, is a couple years away and who knows what our D-core looks like in 2 years.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:06 AM
  #59
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I to am a Koekkoek fan. But I take Dumba and Trouba over him. Plus they are both right handers which we would like to have while Koekkoek is a lefty. Koekkoek may be there at 20 while Dumba and Trouba should go in the top ten.
There seem to be a lot of great options for drafting a Dman. One thing about Koekkoek is that the Flyers will have seen him, last year and this abbreviated year, as they scouted and followed up on Mathers.

It's so hard to tell where the D will slot once the draft starts, but #20 isn't a bad place to pick.

Saw a bit of Maatta in the MemCup, and will see more in the final. He looks very smooth and has good size too. Don't think he'll drop to 20.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:09 AM
  #60
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I to am a Koekkoek fan. But I take Dumba and Trouba over him. Plus they are both right handers which we would like to have while Koekkoek is a lefty. Koekkoek may be there at 20 while Dumba and Trouba should go in the top ten.
I'd take Dumba over him, but I'm not so sure about Trouba.
I have reservations about Dumba too (his decision making can either be extremely bad or extremely good, which is why he's always described as erratic), but he has enough upside that I like him.
I can't say the same about Trouba.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:22 AM
  #61
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't know, I think some team is bound to like Collberg.I personally worry about how he'll develop in Frölunda because they are terrible with their youth players, but he's had plenty of success at other levels.
At least he only signed a one year contract with them so he can go to another organization if need be.

Also, he has to use the shortest stick of all draft eligible players.
Seriously, it looks like a junior stick.
OH NO, not the dreaded Joni Pitkanen short-shaft special !!!!

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
  #62
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Hampus Lindholm is actually really, really good with lots of potential. He could be kinda boom/bust but in terms of raw, offensive talent he's got it. I'd pick this kid if he falls that far.

Lindholm or Pouliot would be my two choices depending on whether I think they'll be available. Ceci, Maata, Rielly, Trouba, etc. would be nice but I doubt they'll fall.
Seriously, there's so many good defensemen.

If we can get a pick somewhere between 18-25 for Bobrovsky or a Bob package, we could get possibly two of those blueliners.

Can you imagine getting Ceci and Koekkoek or something similar with this draft?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
  #63
turkinaa
Registered User
 
turkinaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously, there's so many good defensemen.

If we can get a pick somewhere between 18-25 for Bobrovsky or a Bob package, we could get possibly two of those blueliners.
Since there seems to be so many it might be possible to get 2 d in the first two rounds that would be interchangeable in general rankings/draft position especially if teams end up reaching in round 2 to not draft the same position back to back. Example I did some research on Finn like a month ago and he had a projected ADP anywhere between mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. It'll all really depend on who falls, but this might be a prime time to try to get picks for players like Bob or in a JVR package and snag 1-3 decent prospects in the first few rounds.


Last edited by turkinaa: 05-25-2012 at 01:02 PM.
turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:03 PM
  #64
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Since there seems to be so many it might be possible to get 2 d in the first two rounds that would be interchangeable in general rankings/draft position especially if teams end up reaching in round 2 to not draft the same position back to back. Example I did some research on Finn like a month ago and he had a projected ADP anywhere between mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. It'll all really depend on who falls, but this might be a prime time to try to get picks for players like Bob or in a JVR package and snag 1-3 decent prospects in the first few rounds.
There's 15-20 solid defensemen in this draft. Depending on how quickly they go, I could see the top 10-15 picks in the second round being valuable.

Also, no to a JVR package.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
  #65
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,700
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously, there's so many good defensemen.

If we can get a pick somewhere between 18-25 for Bobrovsky or a Bob package, we could get possibly two of those blueliners.

Can you imagine getting Ceci and Koekkoek or something similar with this draft?
I'd love to get Maata and Keokkoek in the first round. Anything after that is just gravy. In all honesty though, how likely is someone to trade a first for Bob? I honestly think the absolute best we'd get for him a second rounder.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  #66
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd love to get Maata and Keokkoek in the first round. Anything after that is just gravy. In all honesty though, how likely is someone to trade a first for Bob? I honestly think the absolute best we'd get for him a second rounder.
Even if it's a high second rounder, there's a lot of potential for a defenseman in the top 40 range.

I don't think I would move him if it's for less than that, and honestly, it'd probably be a draft day decision depending on who was on the board/who valued Bob the most.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:48 PM
  #67
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Bobrovsky had too much of an up and down year to get much more than a third, being that goalies don't command much on the trade market, Valarmov excluded. If the Flyers sign Suter and still want to keep Carle, they could move Mezz for salary relief for a high 2nd. I think Edmonton would easily pony up the 32nd and at the spot, the Flyers could snag another good defenseman.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:41 PM
  #68
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Bobrovsky had too much of an up and down year to get much more than a third, being that goalies don't command much on the trade market, Valarmov excluded. If the Flyers sign Suter and still want to keep Carle, they could move Mezz for salary relief for a high 2nd. I think Edmonton would easily pony up the 32nd and at the spot, the Flyers could snag another good defenseman.
I think I'd be for this if we already have Suter's rights and know we can lock him up.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:46 PM
  #69
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 1050
10 bucks says by the time it is our turn to draft we no longer have a first or 2nd round pick

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  #70
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,989
vCash: 500
The thing is, who would need Bob that has a 2nd rounder from 31 to 40, or who could we trade with Bob to get a real low 1st rounder? But still, the question remains, what team would need Bob?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
  #71
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
10 bucks says by the time it is our turn to draft we no longer have a first or 2nd round pick
Then I hope to god we have Suter locked up.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
  #72
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The thing is, who would need Bob that has a 2nd rounder from 31 to 40, or who could we trade with Bob to get a real low 1st rounder? But still, the question remains, what team would need Bob?
Tampa comes to mind. They pick at both 37 and 40 (as well as 50). With three 2nds and obvious #1G, they would be the most likely candidate. They are, apparently, already out of the Luongo sweepstakes, so if LA decides not to move Bernier, they might be interest in Bob.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:28 PM
  #73
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Then I hope to god we have Suter locked up.
I don't think anyone locks up Suter before the draft--unless he comes out and says where he really wants to sign.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to give up the pick it would take to get his rights (next year's 2nd?), because I really, really don't think he's signing anywhere before July 1.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
  #74
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't think anyone locks up Suter before the draft--unless he comes out and says where he really wants to sign.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to give up the pick it would take to get his rights (next year's 2nd?), because I really, really don't think he's signing anywhere before July 1.
My fear as well. I don't want to give up much either, but I want to at least try.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
  #75
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 1050
I don't want to trade for his rights, think he intends to hit UFA no matter what. My point is I think homer is active before the draft attempting to shore up the defense as best as he possibly can. I don't think waiting for a defensemen to develop for the next 3 or 4 years is in his plans

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.