HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking forward to the Draft

Old
05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
The whole Suter situation is very similar to that of Jay Bouwmeester's. I remember most on here at one time had a raging hard one for Jay and people wanted the Flyers to break the bank for him. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that Suter is the guy to help put the Flyers over the hump. He's a nice piece to the puzzle, but he isn't the "hammer" or "stopper" the club needs. If Coburn would ever show some consistency in his game, he could be that guy.

As for the draft, it's Bystrom or Schmaltz for me. Get one of them talented offensive defensemen that know how to play D.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The whole Suter situation is very similar to that of Jay Bouwmeester's. I remember most on here at one time had a raging hard one for Jay and people wanted the Flyers to break the bank for him. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that Suter is the guy to help put the Flyers over the hump. He's a nice piece to the puzzle, but he isn't the "hammer" or "stopper" the club needs. If Coburn would ever show some consistency in his game, he could be that guy.

As for the draft, it's Bystrom or Schmaltz for me. Get one of them talented offensive defensemen that know how to play D.
I to do not want to break the bank for Suter. Weber on the other hand is a player I would be willing to break,enter and rob the bank for. The next six weeks or so should be fun.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Eh, right-left at this point just doesn't matter much to me. Any player, especially a defenseman like Koekkoek, is a couple years away and who knows what our D-core looks like in 2 years.
Well then that is your opinion. However picking at 20 you must go with the BPA no matter what position. In your opinion what does KKKK have over Dumba and Trouba? Just curious why you would pick him over them. As I stated before. Picking at 20 if KKKK is the BPA then you pull the trigger. But if you are picking say 5 or 8 no way jose

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:12 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously, there's so many good defensemen.

If we can get a pick somewhere between 18-25 for Bobrovsky or a Bob package, we could get possibly two of those blueliners.

Can you imagine getting Ceci and Koekkoek or something similar with this draft?
Besides the obvious Murray, Dumba, Trouba, Rielly, Reinhart, etc.

I'd be super happy with Ceci, Maatta, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Skejl or Lindholm with that 20 pick, and we'll probably get one of them. That's exactly what this team is lackin in the prospect pool - a top-4 defensemen.

Maybe we can acquire an early 2nd rounder too and get someone like Thrower, Bystrom or Schmaltz. Solid draft for defensemen!

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Besides the obvious Murray, Dumba, Trouba, Rielly, Reinhart, etc.

I'd be super happy with Ceci, Maatta, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Skejl or Lindholm with that 20 pick, and we'll probably get one of them. That's exactly what this team is lackin in the prospect pool - a top-4 defensemen.

Maybe we can acquire an early 2nd rounder too and get someone like Thrower, Bystrom or Schmaltz. Solid draft for defensemen!
Ludvig Bystrom is going to be a stud. If he played in North America, there'd be no doubting that he'd be one of the top five defenders to go in this draft. I've been lucky to have watched LOTS of game film on Bystrom and this kid is the complete package. He's a Swedish version of Drew Doughty, but maybe a little meaner. The more I see, the more I really like what Bystrom brings to the table.

Schmalz is right up there too. The only thing that's holding Schmalz back right now is size. He's light. As for Bystrom, he's already a 200 pound player. They're both at the 6'0 mark (Schmalz is actually 6'1), but Bystrom is more physically mature at this point.

Oli Maatta has also had a wonderful playoff run for London and his stock has grown immensely. However, there's word that he's going back to Finland next year (military duty and there's also word he's signed a contract with JYP of the Finnish Elite League). So, Maatta could really fall through the cracks. He's so similar to Joni Pitkanen, but he's not the "head case" (and I use that term loosely to describe Pitkanen, I think overwhelmed is a more suitable term).

It really is a great year for defensemen. Some people are saying it's a weak draft, but I beg to differ. I say there are some real excellent forwards and there are least 12 defenders who have the ability to become solid top 2 guys.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
It really is a great year for defensemen. Some people are saying it's a weak draft, but I beg to differ. I say there are some real excellent forwards and there are least 12 defenders who have the ability to become solid top 2 guys.
I agree. Just because there aren't any clear cut decisions as to who beats out who, it does not make this year a weak draft class. In fact, quite the opposite is true. There's a lot of guys who have the potential to compete at the NHL level even if there aren't many who stand out above the rest.

This is a great year to have multiple top 40 picks.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
The biggest reason it's considered a weak draft is because half of the draft board had significant injuries. Hopefully people did their homework this year, but last year as well. It's going to be a crap shoot more than most drafts would.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Some people are saying it's a weak draft
I think this draft is considered weak because it has a lot of scouts out of their comfort zone. This draft is strong in defensemen and goaltenders, which are the two hardest positions to project. It is weak in North American forwards playing in major juniors. It is particularly weak in Canadian forwards. I still think foreign players except for the truly elite worry scouts a bit.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote