HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier Wanted to Give the Rangers a Pre-Game Pep Talk, but Torts Said No?

Old
05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
That's nice. Some fair weather fan you are. You have a short memory. There wouldn't have been a 94' if it wasn't for Messier & this fan base would be crying a river.
fair weather fan my rear end.

I have been a fan of thsi team the last 35+ years.

I have stuck with this team when they have been horrible and when they are solid.

I have my opinions on how things were done by Management, like the major screw ups of both Neil Smith and Sather as well as the fact that Messier tarnished his legacy here doing what he did.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Riverdale

vCash: 500
If the team needs a great pep talk it should come from Torts, Cally, Hank or Richards.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I have no issues with what he did up until 97.

It's how he treated the organization after the cup win and when that extension was completed how he ran off for more money.

He threatened to hold out and not show up for the Banner raising ceremony the following season.

Granted he had a clause that allowed him to re-negotiate his contract if he won a cup, but he could have played the early season games while that was being negotiated.

Nope. He was going to no-show the event with out a new deal.

He strong armed the Rangers and there was no call for it.

I have a slight issue with that, but I look the other way as he did help with the Cup.

What he did, on top of that, in 97 to me is unforgivable.
Smith Ran Messier out of town & Messier is the bad guy?

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:06 PM
toastbag

If the Rangers are going to win, they are going to win. They don't need Messier to give them a pep talk to win. If game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals in a series you trail 3-2 isn't enough motivation, than Messier wouldn't be able to motivate them either.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:13 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
fair weather fan my rear end.

I have been a fan of thsi team the last 35+ years.

I have stuck with this team when they have been horrible and when they are solid.

I have my opinions on how things were done by Management, like the major screw ups of both Neil Smith and Sather as well as the fact that Messier tarnished his legacy here doing what he did.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you to an extent. I hated when he came back and turned on the waterworks when he got the C back.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
schabadoo

Quote:
Don't recall that happening.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Mess also had a big hand in Mike Gartner, Sergie Zubov being shown the door. Mess was not a untouchable hero.

He was quite the ***** when he wanted to be.

You shouldn't even ask Vancouver fans what they think of him when he was with that team and the crap he pulled.

Blueshirt Believer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
That's nice. Some fair weather fan you are. You have a short memory. There wouldn't have been a 94' if it wasn't for Messier & this fan base would be crying a river.

Your post is unbelievably idotic. First of all, pld has been on the board 10 years longer than you, and I'd bet he's been following the team longer as well. Yet, you seem to have no problem calling him a fairweather fan -- that's absurd. I know that he stuck by the team during the dark years because I remember reading his posts on here during the frustrating times. I can't offer the same proof for you.

Secondly, he already said that he had no problem with what Messier did prior to '97. Why does it seem that oftentimes anything other than complete Messier idol worship is considered heretical? He did some very ****** things after 1997, just as he did some truly amazing things during his time as a Ranger. One's ability to blindly worship Messier shouldn't be the measuring stick for how much of a Ranger fan that person is.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Glad Torts kept him out of the room. No reason for him to be addressing the team. Let them live or die on their own without the distraction of '94 looming over them.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Jacques Strap

I call BS on this whole post. This is what Messier said yesterday from the NYPOST:

Messier declined comment, saying through a spokesman that he’d “like to keep the focus on these players who have worked so hard to get to this point. They have earned and deserve that respect.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1vvD0havl

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:09 PM
egelband

Quote:
Glad Torts denied it.

This team is not about Messier. The Rangers win, it's the Rangers winning.

Messier comes in the room, blabbers on about some crap, the Rangers win, now it's all about Messier.

Can we cut ties with this dude already?

Geez
huh? cut ties with messier? why? i understand what torts did, if it's really the case. but to want to dismiss messier full stop? get real.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I heard Torts really wanted Al Pacino but he was unavailable on such short notice.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

He might have had something good to say. Whats Torts gonna do put his frown on and stand there?

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:16 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
I call BS on this whole post. This is what Messier said yesterday from the NYPOST:

Messier declined comment, saying through a spokesman that he’d “like to keep the focus on these players who have worked so hard to get to this point. They have earned and deserve that respect.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1vvD0havl
I hope Mess didn't try to speak to the players, this is their moment. As eerie as the similarities are to 1994, a pre-game speech from Mess would just be theatrics and offer nothing positive.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Bauer Warrior*

I'm here as a hockey fan curious to see the mindset of Ranger fans.

I have to say, good move by Tortarella! This is his team and has absolutely nothing to do with 1994. If Messier gives the pep talk, what's the point of Tortarella coaching?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
He might have had something good to say. Whats Torts gonna do put his frown on and stand there?
Honestly, if the team needs a motivational speaker to get up for this game, they have no business being here anyways.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I heard Torts really wanted Al Pacino but he was unavailable on such short notice.
Tortarella actually looks a bit like Richard Gere.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Messier would be out of his place to force himself upon the locker room, so if that's the case, I agree with Torts. However, if Callahan requested Messier to come speak to the team, and Torts overruled him...disrespectful on Torts' part.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

If a six time cup champ and dude who brought this team back from back from the dead wants to say something let him. Its better than a Sather or Dolan appearance. A lot of the guys in that room have much respect for the man. Im a Mess fan boy though, so it might just be me.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

The right move by Torts, IMO. I will always be thankful to Messier and the rest for 1994, which easily ranks in the top 5 happiest times of my life.

All that said though, this current team is constantly living in the shadow of those guys. Nearly every benchmark success they earn is compared and measured against 94. Can you imagine what it must be like to bust your ass to earn accomplishments and recognition for yourself and your team, but to always have it compared to a different bunch of guys you had nothing to do with? With all these parallel dates and situations, it's gotten even worse. It's human nature to look for patterns and parallels, but I can't imagine how sick I would be of being steered towards 94 when I'm busting my ass to focus on 2012.

IMO, having Mess come into the locker room for any kind of talk would just add to what is already a huge distraction.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:21 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
If a six time cup champ and dude who brought this team back from back from the dead wants to say something let him. Its better than a Sather or Dolan appearance. A lot of the guys in that room have much respect for the man. Im a Mess fan boy though, so it might just be me.
Man i wish i could edit my mistakes. im drinking hard.. Cant wait for infractions to wear off.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If true, this emphasizes everything thats wrong with Messier - he had a way of making everything about him, especially during his 2nd stint here when he couldnt back it up.

It was tolerable when he was a player - now thats hes not, stay out of the way please.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:47 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
I have no issues with what he did up until 97.

It's how he treated the organization after the cup win and when that extension was completed how he ran off for more money.

He threatened to hold out and not show up for the Banner raising ceremony the following season.

Granted he had a clause that allowed him to re-negotiate his contract if he won a cup, but he could have played the early season games while that was being negotiated.

Nope. He was going to no-show the event with out a new deal.

He strong armed the Rangers and there was no call for it.

I have a slight issue with that, but I look the other way as he did help with the Cup.

What he did, on top of that, in 97 to me is unforgivable.
It's a business. Get over it. Why don't you tell your boss you want minimum wage because you're a team player? Outperform everyone at your job, make your boss tons of money and just be happy with your 7.25 an hour.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Your post is unbelievably idotic. First of all, pld has been on the board 10 years longer than you, and I'd bet he's been following the team longer as well. Yet, you seem to have no problem calling him a fairweather fan -- that's absurd. I know that he stuck by the team during the dark years because I remember reading his posts on here during the frustrating times. I can't offer the same proof for you.

Secondly, he already said that he had no problem with what Messier did prior to '97. Why does it seem that oftentimes anything other than complete Messier idol worship is considered heretical? He did some very ****** things after 1997, just as he did some truly amazing things during his time as a Ranger. One's ability to blindly worship Messier shouldn't be the measuring stick for how much of a Ranger fan that person is.
Board senority has nothing to do with anything. This isn't the Teamsters. I have been following these boards for years I have seen what goes on here. I don't need a history lesson

The utter disrespect people give Messier is disguesting, wether it be Ranger fans or Vancover fans. I don't think it's worth my time or effort to go back in time & relive who did what to who & what everones interpation to why Mess left or who pushed him out When we are faceing such a critical game tonight, but I will be more than happy to discuss it after the season in depth

I felt he disrespected Messier & I feel that he is wrong. That's it. You don't like what i'm saying than you & anyone else is free to block me.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:08 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Nvm.

Last edited by ck20: 05-25-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: zzz
ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote