Notices

Justin Schultz leaving college

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
furball411

vCash: 500
Justin Schultz leaving college

Bob McKenzie is reporting that Justin has filed the paperwork to leave school. The Ducks now have a 30 day window to sign their prized prospect. That window ends at June 24th, right after the NHL entry draft. Let's hope Murray doesn't mess this up.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:07 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
He's gone. If he were to sign with the Ducks he probably wouldn't bother signing the paperwork until the contract is done. There's no point really.

The only positive (barely possible) outcome would be he's just using this as leverage because the Ducks are lowballing him.

So basically it's up to Murray to try to trade his rights and get something.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

It's not Murray's to mess up at this point. His only offer is a Max contract with bonuses and a promise to not send the kid down (which may or not be kept) - this is the same offer 29 other teams can make. Ducks have zero leverage.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:10 PM
furball411

He won't sign until July 1st no matter what, since his maximum base salary will be 50K more. The fact that he said he wants to be a Duck and that management trusted him to go back for another year really is starting to tick me off. If you want to leave fine, just don't be such an arrogant pr*ck about it.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
furball411

The one good thing about this mess is that the owners finally might fire Bob. I've been noticing the Ducks revamping their facebook site and twitter by trying to get more interacted with the fans. I think they realize how bad LA is beating them in marketing. It's just a shame it took them this long to realize how terrible of a job they were doing getting the Ducks some attention. Great job guys.

Last edited by furball411: 05-25-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball411 View Post
The one good thing about this mess is that the owners finally might fire Bob.
Not until after next season, if the teams misses the playoffs again. It really sucks losing a prospect like Schultz, even though I think he's overrated because of the league he plays in. I don't think you can call an NCAA player "the best defenseman not in the NHL". Hopefully Murray makes sure to get at least something for his rights.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Should his rights be worth anything at this point? When/if he turns an UFA, he could still sign for any team in the league...

Old
05-25-2012, 03:41 PM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Should his rights be worth anything at this point? When/if he turns an UFA, he could still sign for any team in the league...
He's basically worth nothing at this point. Maybe Murray could get a 6th rounder for his rights but it's a stretch. It's just disgusting the Schultz situation got to this point.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:46 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Late pick or almost failed prospect at most.

But hey, maybe Murray can get an about-to-bust former 1st rounder? Daultan Leveille, come on down! Or Patrick White.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

His rights aren't worth nothing but they aren't worth much. Multiple teams were willing to pony up 3rds for Hamhuis despite him emphatically stating he was testing the market. It all depends on if Schultz want to play for a specific team or if he just doesn't want to sign with Anaheim. Optimistically he might garner a 4-7th.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:49 PM
DarthYenik

This feels like the first Mighty Ducks movie when they find a technicality to get Banks to play on the Ducks, even though he doesn't want to. Except there is no technicality, and Banks REALLY doesn't want to play on the Ducks.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:58 PM
furball411

Murray does have an excuse now if Justin leaves though.. This quote from Schultz is the last piece of hope I am hanging on to: "They know that I want to play for them in the next couple years, and they trust me."

Old
05-25-2012, 04:04 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
The one good thing about this mess is that the owners finally might fire Bob. I've been noticing the Ducks revamping their facebook site and twitter by trying to get more interacted with the fans. I think they realize how bad LA is beating them in marketing. It's just a shame it took them this long to realize how terrible of a job they were doing getting the Ducks some attention. Great job guys.
I wish they would just close the Ducks facebook page from fan comments, because most Ducks 'fans' on that page are retarded.

While I'm not a fan of Bob I'm not really sure what he could of done, get promises from Schultz's camp that he will sign this season after college, nothing appears to change, when contract comes round to be signed he turns it down / doesn't want to talk? Seems to me like Schultz was just taking the Ducks for a ride all along tbh.

Of course he could still sign.....don't see it though.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Finnpin

I'm tired of this.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I wish they would just close the Ducks facebook page from fan comments, because most Ducks 'fans' on that page are retarded.

While I'm not a fan of Bob I'm not really sure what he could of done, get promises from Schultz's camp that he will sign this season after college, nothing appears to change, when contract comes round to be signed he turns it down / doesn't want to talk? Seems to me like Schultz was just taking the Ducks for a ride all along tbh.

Most people who comment on those facebook pages usually have sketchy profiles. It's just a waste of time to start arguing in those places.

Let's hope he plays in some pressure-filled Canadian market and wilts. Who knows, his defensive play could be so bad that he gets swamped in the AHL learning how to play in his own zone.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post

I agree with you. I don't find fault with how Murray has handled this situation in public. What exactly do fans think that Murray should or could have done differently regarding Schultz ?

He was a prospect drafted by Burke playing NCAA hockey who indicated all along that he was interested in signing with Anaheim until recent inactivity has brought that status into question. Schultz has never told the Ducks (or maybe we'll find out differently some day if private comments become public) that he wouldn't sign with us or that he was planning to test FA on July 1st. If Bob traded him prematurely for a 4th round pick and Schultz later says he was ready to sign with Anaheim, then we would rightfully crucify Murray.

Until Schultz files his paperwork, Murray can't do much. Once the paperwork is filed and the situation becomes clearer, then Murray will have to either sign him or conclude he can't sign him. If he won't play for the Ducks (and hopefully he'll man up and tell us early on rather than make us play a game for 3 weeks to figure out what he's thinking), then he get traded for as much as we can get for him. Some teams might be willing to trade for his rights if they think they can sign him ahead of his FA period.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:27 PM
furball411

He's been playing a game for about 3 months now.... There was no doubt that Justin was leaving school after his junior season. A possibility of a lockout this upcoming season is close to zero and he knew that too. His agent, Wade Arnott, is one of the smartest and slickest in the business. He also represents our own Bobby Ryan. The point is, now that the paperwork has been filed, why isn't he opening his mouth? He even declined an interview with the OC Register. The silence isn't helping, especially now that it's been confirmed he is leaving school.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Eddie Shack

We will never know what all transpired between Schultz and the Ducks. But Bob has certainly led the fans to believe he would be here all along. So I will be eagerly awaiting Bob's explanation of how it all went wrong and none of it was his fault.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
He's been playing a game for about 3 months now.... There was no doubt that Justin was leaving school after his junior season. A possibility of a lockout this upcoming season is close to zero and he knew that too. His agent, Wade Arnott, is one of the smartest and slickest in the business. He also represents our own Bobby Ryan. The point is, now that the paperwork has been filed, why isn't he opening his mouth? He even declined an interview with the OC Register. The silence isn't helping, especially now that it's been confirmed he is leaving school.
My guess is that he's a bit of a coward. He couldn't even tell Wisconsin fans/journalists that this was probably it, and added the lockout thing as a retarded ass possible reason that he could be back. Could be why he probably never told the Ducks his plans, leading them along instead and screwing them over in the process.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
We will never know what all transpired between Schultz and the Ducks. But Bob has certainly led the fans to believe he would be here all along. So I will be eagerly awaiting Bob's explanation of how it all went wrong and none of it was his fault.
Well, really, I'm sure he was confident. Not going to trade a kid because he wants to play his junior year of college. Hell, Bob would've been flamed to hell and back for that as it was.

Biggest lesson out of all this: don't go for the USHL/Canadian Junior A kids as much. It can pay off, but it's risky as it is, and they can screw you like this. Or hopefully this loophole gets sewn up in the next CBA(could very well happen).

Old
05-25-2012, 05:15 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
My guess is that he's a bit of a coward. He couldn't even tell Wisconsin fans/journalists that this was probably it, and added the lockout thing as a retarded ass possible reason that he could be back. Could be why he probably never told the Ducks his plans, leading them along instead and screwing them over in the process.
But wait a minute......All the Wis blogger has said is that he is a loyal, stand up guy!!!!!

Old
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
duari91

Now that this is all out in the open, it's less about speculation, and more about action. The media will no longer want to hear the "thoughts" of Schultz or BM. In stead, they are going to want a definitive answer from either of the parties.

Whatever is going to be said, either party will be careful with what they say. Schultz will probably be a coward and dodge the media for a while like he has been doing, and BM will play it off like Schultz led him on this entire time.

Either way, its a crappy situation. The loophole needs to end here. Players need to be held accountable for the decisions that they make in the professional world. What you do in the beginning of your career sets the tone for the rest of it. I hope he becomes known as an unprofessional, unloyal hockey player. It is a deserved punishment.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:21 PM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
But wait a minute......All the Wis blogger has said is that he is a loyal, stand up guy!!!!!
Well you tend to have a little hometown bias toward your favorite players. I'm betting Chuck and the other Wisconsin fans would be complaining if some touted recruit turned around and gave them the finger.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

McKenzie confirming now 100% has left school and almost as certain he will become UFA. "Writing is on the wall" were his exact words.

05-25-2012, 06:20 PM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
McKenzie confirming now 100% has left school and almost as certain he will become UFA. "Writing is on the wall" were his exact words.
McKenzie is a moron... Biggest Canadian homer on TSN.. That being said, he could be 100 percent on the money. The problem is Schultz already gave the Ducks his word and watching this blow up in McKenzie's face would make me so happy. Also, apparently the Ducks need Schultz's cooperation to actually trade his rights, so if he really is a pr*ck then he could deny that too.

Last edited by furball411: 05-25-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: more information
Closed Thread