Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Justin Schultz leaving college

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Good for Justin, I guess. At least we can get our 'no' without the dumb wait. Wouldn't mind trading Schultz's rights for the early rights to Suter.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Unbelievable. Why couldn't he have just said no earlier?

Old
05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Unbelievable. Why couldn't he have just said no earlier?
You don't know that he didn't.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:02 PM
duari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
He certainly made an effort for it not to be known.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duari91 View Post
He certainly made an effort for it not to be known.
You know it is quite possible that after telling Bob he was going UFA (whenever that may have been) he kept silent as a favor to Bob. We don't really know what was or was not said or agreed to.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Unagi

What I am not getting is that if Schultz indeed gave the Ducks his word he will sign with them, there should be no problem. This is a binding (preliminary) agreement (not an NHL contract but still basic civil law) between two parties and the Ducks should easily be able to nail him on that. At the very least this should be enough to either prevent him from signing somewhere else OR get serious compensation from the team he signs with.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Jesus Teemu

Quote:
I know, but as a fan it's very annoying.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
What I am not getting is that if Schultz indeed gave the Ducks his word he will sign with them, there should be no problem. This is a binding (preliminary) agreement (not an NHL contract but still basic civil law) between two parties and the Ducks should easily be able to nail him on that. At the very least this should be enough to either prevent him from signing somewhere else OR get serious compensation from the team he signs with.
And the proof would be what?

Old
05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I know, but as a fan it's very annoying.
Yes it is. Bob has some serious explaining to do.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

We are not going to sue him on the basis of a verbal agreement.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I think Bryan Murray wanted to try that with Kariya when he bolted, but proof would be almost impossible. Even if they recorded him saying it, I don't think that'd be admissable right away.

If Schultz indeed intends to bolt, biggest right now would be to either trade his rights or somehow catch a team tampering, which is possible. Schultz finishing his school year officially only gives him a week to negotiate before July 1, but I imagine a team might try earlier.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:20 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
All Barstool will say is something along the line os "he told us he wanted to play for us and we took him at his word " and " we offered him the most money allowable." This way he protects himself and throws the guilt on Schultz

Old
05-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
All Barstool will say is something along the line os "he told us he wanted to play for us and we took him at his word " and " we offered him the most money allowable." This way he protects himself and throws the guilt on Schultz
If that's the best he can do he should be fired. He gets paid a lot of money not to lose something that valuable for nothing. It's his job to read the tea leaves and not end up empty handed.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
If that's the best he can do he should be fired. He gets paid a lot of money not to lose something that valuable for nothing. It's his job to read the tea leaves and not end up empty handed.
No, that's just what we wish he could do. That's what everyone wishes their GM can do, but they rarely can.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
No, that's just what we wish he could do. That's what everyone wishes their GM can do, but they rarely can.
Technically you are correct. Nobody gets it right all the time. Short of some incredible explanation, I just see Bob as a D student who just failed another test. At this point in time I fail him and leave him back a year. I would prefer to move forward without him.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Jesus Teemu

Quote:
He'll probably go on a tirade privately, then give the media some cliches. He'll lay all the blame on Schultz IMO, and he wouldn't be totally wrong in doing that. Although I believe he deserves some blame.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Hey guys, Flames poster here. This situation is almost identical to what happened to us with the Tim Erixon. Everyone in Calgary was super PO'd as well, and you guys have every right to be.

But I really think you guys are selling yourselves way short of what his rights would return. A day or 2 before the deadline we had to sign Erixon last season, we sent his rights and a 5th round pick to the Rangers in return for Roman Horak (who was on our club this year), and 2 x 2nd round picks that ended up being Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon. I think we actually came out ahead on the deal. I think Schultz has more value than Erixon had, so if Murray can trade his rights hopefully they use that deal as a standard for a return that you guys get.

Assuming we could get him to agree to sign with the Flames, I would definitely offer a way better return than a 6th round pick. I would offer you guys a good young roster player and a draft pick, of course that would be dependent on the fact he agrees to sign with us.

I am sorry to hear this happened, I know how incredibly s***y it feels. You are so excited about a bluechip prospect and then he totally screws you. Just hope that Murray is competent enough to recoup some assets!

Old
05-25-2012, 08:28 PM
furball411

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Hey guys, Flames poster here. This situation is almost identical to what happened to us with the Tim Erixon. Everyone in Calgary was super PO'd as well, and you guys have every right to be.

But I really think you guys are selling yourselves way short of what his rights would return. A day or 2 before the deadline we had to sign Erixon last season, we sent his rights and a 5th round pick to the Rangers in return for Roman Horak (who was on our club this year), and 2 x 2nd round picks that ended up being Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon. I think we actually came out ahead on the deal. I think Schultz has more value than Erixon had, so if Murray can trade his rights hopefully they use that deal as a standard for a return that you guys get.

Assuming we could get him to agree to sign with the Flames, I would definitely offer a way better return than a 6th round pick. I would offer you guys a good young roster player and a draft pick, of course that would be dependent on the fact he agrees to sign with us.

I am sorry to hear this happened, I know how incredibly s***y it feels. You are so excited about a bluechip prospect and then he totally screws you. Just hope that Murray is competent enough to recoup some assets!
Yeah but in Erixon's case he had to re-enter the draft. Justin on the other hand is a UFA and can choose any team he likes.... Maybe Brian Burke would feel bad for his old boy Murray and give him back Gardiner. Still not a good deal but it's better than losing both Schultz and Gardiner.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Well its not a good situation for the fans, hopefully you guys can get something for him.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
furball411

Eh I guess if he just lied then Murray isn't that responsible. I still think that Gardiner trade was stupid but if Schultz had assured the Ducks he was going to sign then he's nothing more than a lying fraud. If he doesn't sign, Murray can call him a liar, and if he does then all is forgiven.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Like I mentioned earlier, By not keeping his word, Schultz screws not just the Ducks, but every college player from now on out. Teams will think long and hard about "wasting" a pick on someone that can wait until its beneficial for them, then up and bolt to any other team that wants their services. Trust is a 2 way street.
If he signs with Toronto, to play with his buddy Gardiner, the Frankie trade/re-acquire will have turned out horrendously bad for us.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:56 PM
furball411

h

Haha Bobby Ryan is a mother ****ing genius... Check out this tweet to Schultz: "need a new road roommate kid. Come control the remote control every third trip."

Freakiing beauty Bobby is...

Last edited by Unholy: 05-25-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: language
Old
05-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Adam Banks

This whole situation completely sucks. I think that Schultz just took us for a ride. I honestly think that this is one of the bad things to happen to the Ducks in recent years that really wasn't Murray's fault. If you think about it, if he had known that Justin wouldn't sign here he never would have put Gardiner into the Beauch deal unless he was/is a complete idiot (which isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility). I think that at the time of the trade with TO, he probably sat down and evaluated his defense prospects and decided that he would have the brighter future with Schultz and then he sent Gardiner away. I don't think he would have put his faith in Schultz like that if he didn't think that he could sign him.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball411 View Post
He won't sign until July 1st no matter what, since his maximum base salary will be 50K more. The fact that he said he wants to be a Duck and that management trusted him to go back for another year really is starting to tick me off. If you want to leave fine, just don't be such an arrogant pr*ck about it.
If he told the Ducks that he was going to sign with them and then bolts then the kid has no character. His lack of character will eventually catch up with him.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Adam Banks

I'm also just really frustrated about this whole situation. It sucks that an organization can use an asset in the form of a draft pick to acquire a prospect, then be patient with that prospect, give them time, help them develop, let them go to school if they want, invest all that time and then just be left out in the cold by that prospect without any kind of compensation. I feel like I've been cheated by Justin Schultz.

Closed Thread