HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rick Dudley named assistant GM in Montreal

Old
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
There isn't a risk because Dudley isn't working the draft for the Habs.

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:24 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Updated the title, as it is official.

05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Curious...why would the Habs insult their scouting staff's work all year, who they plan to retain and were commended by the GM, by considering who the Leafs like over their opinions?
You can't think of a situation where this could be problem? Montreal really likes this one guy that they wish to take in round 4 because they don't think anyone has him rated that highly. Turns out Toronto did and planned to take him in round 3. Using that information to pick the player before Toronto would be insulting?

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Yeah like this is the first situation of that. Every time an executive moves to another team that is a possibility, people are getting paranoid about this.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I guess some people here are just pissed because he's going to the Habs next door. If it was some team like Columbus or Islanders no one would care.

I personally don't think Dudley was here long enough to make any organizational changes or directly part of drafting (pretty sure he didn't work with the Leafs at the draft last year) or trading for someone since he was here so it doesn't really matter.

If I were Dudley I'd leave too. With the Habs he is Bergevin's go to guy and the clear cut #2 and they know each other well.

Over here, Burke is the same way with Nonis, both have known each other well and he's clearly our #2 behind Burke and then it's Fletcher, Dudley, Loiselle etc.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Wasn't Dudley's role on pro scouting? I'm not sure what sort of insight he would add to the draft other than roster players the Leafs could acquire through trades.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
There isn't a risk because Dudley isn't working the draft for the Habs.
oh thats good, didn't think that was confirmed

then good move by Habs and go leafs

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
You can't think of a situation where this could be problem? Montreal really likes this one guy that they wish to take in round 4 because they don't think anyone has him rated that highly. Turns out Toronto did and planned to take him in round 3. Using that information to pick the player before Toronto would be insulting?
My point would be, using your example, is it reasonable to think the Habs will suddenly change who they wanted in round 3 just because the Leafs want someone they want in round 4? Why is it that suddenly just because the Leafs have that hypothetical player pegged as a 3rd rounder worth more than who the Habs staff originally pegged in the 3rd round?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Congrats to Dudley. He is a good hockey mind and will be missed. It would have been nice for him to stick in some way, but he is too talented to not get offers for significant positions. I find it funny though how he goes from being a good player scouting/management exec to some evil wizard who is going to plot our downfall at the draft.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

IMO burke doesnt want duds at the draft due to potential trades which may be made then. not so much who they may pick

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
SprDaVE

Finally this is over. Now Burke can concentrate on replacing Dudley as the Director of Player Personnel.

When Dreger tweeted about Tom Renney's firing not long ago, he said that he would be highly sought after as a D.P.P. because of his past experience in that field.

Anyway, I'm not sure of Dudley's influence while he was here in Toronto but I'm not disappointed at all to see him go. I'm sure we'll replace him with someone as qualified.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
Wasn't Dudley's role on pro scouting? I'm not sure what sort of insight he would add to the draft other than roster players the Leafs could acquire through trades.
No.

Director of Player Personnel, which does include amateur and pro scouting, not just a specific area.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Finally this is over. Now Burke can concentrate on replacing Dudley as the Director of Player Personnel.

When Dreger tweeted about Tom Renney's firing not long ago, he said that he would be highly sought after as a D.P.P. because of his past experience in that field.

Anyway, I'm not sure of Dudley's influence while he was here in Toronto but I'm not disappointed at all to see him go. I'm sure we'll replace him with someone as qualified.
should bring back ronnie to do it, MLSE is already paying him

im kidding

what does the position actually do? maybe something for a former player like Roberts ? or its more managerial

Old
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
should bring back ronnie to do it, MLSE is already paying him

im kidding

what does the position actually do? maybe something for a former player like Roberts ? or its more managerial
Dan Mackinnon, Direct of Player Personnel of the Penguins answered this question in an interview

Quote:
Dan, can you describe your responsibilities as the Director of Player Personnel?

Dan MacKinnon - I help head up all our scouting and player personnel initiatives. I consult directly with our General Manager, Ray Shero on most player related matters and I communicate regularly with our head amateur scout, our head pro scout, our coaching staffs in Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre, and our Assistant GM and Assistant to the GM. It sounds like a big team of people but there is just so much to do in modern major professional sports. I have an emphasis on pro scouting but I also see all the top amateur Draft talent each year as well.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Just posted from the MTL Gazette section that covers the Habs, they said..

"Bergevin and Toronto general manager Brian Burke have made a gentleman’s agreement specifying Dudley, who has intimate knowledge of the Leafs’ plans, heading into the June draft, will not participate in the Canadiens’ draft deliberations.

When rumours first surfaced linking Dudley, a longtime friend of Bergevin, with a move to Montreal, a source told the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle: “Toronto would be nuts to let him go. Dudley is a genius. If Dudley comes (to Montreal) he’s the de facto GM.""

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...s-front-office

So while Dudley can legally work on the Habs draft, he won't. Bergevin mentioned that he knew Burke really well during one of his interviews when he got hired, so I don't think for one second that anything fishy well happen.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Curious...why would the Habs insult their scouting staff's work all year, who they plan to retain and were commended by the GM, by considering who the Leafs like over their opinions?
Ever hear of insider trading?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:34 PM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

I loss all respect for Dudley! Way to ditch an organization after only 1 year!

MintoMadDogsKiller18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:35 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Just posted from the MTL Gazette section that covers the Habs, they said..

"Bergevin and Toronto general manager Brian Burke have made a gentleman’s agreement specifying Dudley, who has intimate knowledge of the Leafs’ plans, heading into the June draft, will not participate in the Canadiens’ draft deliberations.

When rumours first surfaced linking Dudley, a longtime friend of Bergevin, with a move to Montreal, a source told the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle: “Toronto would be nuts to let him go. Dudley is a genius. If Dudley comes (to Montreal) he’s the de facto GM.""

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...s-front-office

So while Dudley can legally work on the Habs draft, he won't. Bergevin mentioned that he knew Burke really well during one of his interviews when he got hired, so I don't think for one second that anything fishy well happen.
i dont blame dudley......anyone with half a brain whos been around companies /teams etc being sold know .that no one is secure ,contracts are moot .....i mean if your taking over MSLE and u wanna make a very public statement ,first thing u do is evaluate the teams success under the current managemen
secondly if your planning on changes to bring in your own guys u certainly dont let this group make any major decisions as far as adding salary etc...
dudley got out while he still had a chance ,the reason nonis is doing all the talking is simple ,everything coming out of of burkes mouth since he extended rotten ronnie was a complete utter sham.

duddley may have been the best one left and we lost him .lots of hockey people think so

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
He didn't leave mid season like Burkie did to the Ducks...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:45 PM
pspot

I hate Pierre McGuire but he might be an interesting option

Burke would probably kill him because he's annoying as **** but guy is like a human computer and is opinionated

Old
05-25-2012, 03:09 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I hate Pierre McGuire but he might be an interesting option

Burke would probably kill him because he's annoying as **** but guy is like a human computer and is opinionated
Pierre McGuire will not leave his NBC job.

After he didn't get the job for the Habs, he went on TSN990 in MTL and pretty much talked about the whole process.

Basically saying that NBC takes very good care of him and his family, and if it wasn't it being the Canadiens GM job open that he wouldn't have even asked NBC to let him take the interview.

And while it seem like the fact that McGuire hasn't been working in the NHL in almost 20 years has made it hard for him to get a GM job, he simply will not leave NBC unless its a GM job, but a GM job for a big market team, Canadiens, Leafs, Rangers etc.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Pierre McGuire will not leave his NBC job.

After he didn't get the job for the Habs, he went on TSN990 in MTL and pretty much talked about the whole process.

Basically saying that NBC takes very good care of him and his family, and if it wasn't it being the Canadiens GM job open that he wouldn't have even asked NBC to let him take the interview.

And while it seem like the fact that McGuire hasn't been working in the NHL in almost 20 years has made it hard for him to get a GM job, he simply will not leave NBC unless its a GM job, but a GM job for a big market team, Canadiens, Leafs, Rangers etc.
I'm sure Burke can take care of McGuire better then NBC.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
No worry's there, the Leafs don't have a 3rd rd pick nor a 4th for that matter.

Russell Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
themightyquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
That's harsh on him. He left to join Bergevin and become their version of Nonis to Burke as a right hand man. That's a promotion in my book (even if the official job title hasn't changed).

I'd even like to wish him success in the future.... but since he's now a Hab - I can't.

themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:18 PM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
That's harsh on him. He left to join Bergevin and become their version of Nonis to Burke as a right hand man. That's a promotion in my book (even if the official job title hasn't changed).

I'd even like to wish him success in the future.... but since he's now a Hab - I can't.
That's nice, I am not going to congratulate him or wish him success with the Habs, he stayed for 1 season and then just bailed on us, when we have a huge off season ahead of us. In my mind he can go ***** himself. Sure you might think it's harsh, I think it's selfish that he only cares about himself and not the Maple Leafs organization and their fans as well he does not care about the mess we are in, instead of helping us right the ship, he is just going to peace out...

MintoMadDogsKiller18* is offline   Reply With Quote