HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Chootoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
According to everything I can find the 27th and 28th spots are determined by regular season points only, no division winner status taken into account.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2798156
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Under Entry Draft order it says teams will be ranked in this order:

1. Teams not making the playoffs
2. Made the playoffs based on points but not winning the division
3. Based on points division winners
4. Stanley Cup champ

Seems we would pick after New Jersey if they lose (and don't forfeit the pick). That's what I gather anyway. Like I said though they will probably forfeit it and we'll end up at 27 anyway.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

How does forfeiture work?

05-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Chootoi

As penalty for trying to circumvent the cap on the last Kovalchuk deal, the Devils were fined 3 million bucks and had to forfeit a 3rd rounder last year and one first rounder between 2011-2014 (NJ's choice). Seems like this year would be the perfect year to take the hit with such a late pick.

Anyways at the draft they will just skip the pick. so lets say Jersey does lose and gets the 27th pick and forfeits it, the draft board would look like this:

26 - St Louis
28 - Phoenix

there would be no record of 27th overall but for all intents and purposes Phoenix would have the 27th pick of the draft. Here's a pic of the draft board when the Devils forfeited the 3rd at the last draft (#69 overall)

same deal.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Safe to say we are about 90% to pick "27th", regardless of what the pick is officially called?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Safe to say we are about 90% to pick "27th", regardless of what the pick is officially called?
yeah pretty much. If NJ wins the ECF none of this even matters. Win or lose they'd be bat-**** crazy not to forfeit this year anyway with a bottom four pick, Brodeur possibly retiring, Parise possibly leaving as UFA, etc. Could be some rebuilding ahead for them. If you're the Devils you don't want to go into a rebuild having to forfeit a potential top 10 pick right off the bat.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Under Entry Draft order it says teams will be ranked in this order:

1. Teams not making the playoffs
2. Made the playoffs based on points but not winning the division
3. Based on points division winners
4. Stanley Cup champ

Seems we would pick after New Jersey if they lose (and don't forfeit the pick). That's what I gather anyway. Like I said though they will probably forfeit it and we'll end up at 27 anyway.
I think that's an old rules link since it doesn't mention the conference finalists or SCF runner up at all for spots 27-29. The ESPN link indicates they changed the draft order rules in 2007 to put those other three teams at the tail of the draft. Prior to 2007 the Cup winner was 30th then all the division winners and other playoff teams ordered regardless of how many playoff rounds they won.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

We're at 27. Devils and Rangers had more points. The only way we could have had 28 was if the Panthers, Capitals, or Senators won the ECF. Devils get 28th if they lose this series, which means it doesn't affect us.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

There will he some good forwards there. I still hope we trade the pick for immediate help, though.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:21 AM
OOEEL

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1133335

Stumbled upon this thread, sounds like a player I'd like to have? Obviously everyone are talking up these kids and I've been known to buy into hype, but we need forwards. I know a lot of you have your hearts set on the "vowel-less gang" (Frk & Hertl), but just figured I'd throw another name out there.

Maybe take Hertl in the 1st and throw out a Schlemko & 5th round pick combo to grab another second to take Janks? Or is he too much a question mark considering the school hes at? I know we snagged Scott Arnold out of a relatively small school (college vs prep school, yeah yeah), but there is obviously a huge difference between taking a flyer on a 4th liner/AHLer and using a first round pick on someone.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I can't get past that level of competition.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
I can't get past that level of competition.
I'd take a flyer on him in the second round but not before then. Probably not worth trading up to get him, either.

For the three of you who might care, the annual moderator mock draft is under way. Input is welcome.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I could see the Don opting for Tanner Pearson. If we do pick him, I think I'd have pretty easy time justifying it. Personally, I like Hertl, Laughton, and Bozon.

Watching the Memorial Cup, I'm really, really impressed with Max Domi. Little early to he thinking about next year, but he's a little pit bull, and has a lot of flash and skill to go along with it.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
I could see the Don opting for Tanner Pearson. If we do pick him, I think I'd have pretty easy time justifying it. Personally, I like Hertl, Laughton, and Bozon.

Watching the Memorial Cup, I'm really, really impressed with Max Domi. Little early to he thinking about next year, but he's a little pit bull, and has a lot of flash and skill to go along with it.
Hertl, Laughton and Bozon are on my short list, but I'm not going to bother with Pearson in the first round. He could be decent, but late bloomers scare me.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I've watched three or four Memorial Cup games today, and am all caught up other the game that was actually played today.

Man oh man does Henrik Samuelsson look like a fantastic prospect.

I went in wanting to not like him. Conceptually, I didn't like the idea of this player. I didn't like his "on paper" much. In spite of that, I ****ing love this prospect. Poor man's Gabriel Landeskog.

Great board work, great in front of the net, meaner than ****, always involved after the whistles, throws his weight around, surprisingly effective skater, great puck protection, is always putting the puck toward the front of the net, great reflexes, good reaction times, good vision, quick shot, heavy shot, he's just a ****ing horse. A horse.

This is one player for which I'll be grateful for our penchant for nepotism.

I'm sure Rick Nickel and Don Maloney are watching.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Oh yeah, and pretty good on face offs. And a RHS.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
PhoPhan

Three more weeks. Samuelsson still feels like a reach to me at 27, but after the tournament he just had, I can see it happening. Personally, though, in that range of the draft, I prefer to swing for the fences, and I feel like Samuelsson's upside is limited. I'm really hoping the Coyotes tendency to go off the board with their late 1sts (Visentin in 2010, Tikhonov in 2008, Nick Ross in 2007) ends with the new scouting staff.

At this point, aside from a few guys who likely won't fall that far (Aberg, Hertl, Girgensons), the guy I like most at 27 is Bozon. He's a risky pick to be sure, but his skill/tenacity combination makes me think he could be another Giroux.

Kerdiles seems like he'd be a good fit, too. His upside is probably something like Antoine Vermette, but I'd be pretty happy with that.

Scott Laughton seems to be rising quickly, to the point where he might be gone when the Coyotes pick, but if he's there, he's another guy I'd like. I think the Mike Richards comparisons are solid, as long as we're willing to grant that Mike Richards is probably a 60-point player.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

My preferences on guys who could actually fall are...

1. Hertl
2. Samuelsson

After that, it gets tough. Aberg, Kerdiles, Bozon, Laughton, Frk, Sissons, who knows?

I like Hertl and Samuelsson because they are big, rough, skilled, heady, two way centers. First liners in the NHL? I doubt it. NHL players? I'd bet on it. At 27th, isn't that the best you can hope for?

For Hertl I see a Martin Hanzal and Tomas Plekanec hybrid, but a slightly lesser version of what that would be.

For Samuelsson, maybe a Johan Franzen mixed with Troy Brouwer but can play center.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
My preferences on guys who could actually fall are...

1. Hertl
2. Samuelsson

After that, it gets tough. Aberg, Kerdiles, Bozon, Laughton, Frk, Sissons, who knows?

I like Hertl and Samuelsson because they are big, rough, skilled, heady, two way centers. First liners in the NHL? I doubt it. NHL players? I'd bet on it. At 27th, isn't that the best you can hope for?

For Hertl I see a Martin Hanzal and Tomas Plekanec hybrid, but a slightly lesser version of what that would be.

For Samuelsson, maybe a Johan Franzen mixed with Troy Brouwer but can play center.
I really don't expect Hertl to be there at 27, but I don't see much of Hanzal or Plekanec in him anyway. He's a big, hard-nosed Czech, but his defense is nowhere near Hanzal's (though neither was Hanzal's at the same age). It's entirely possible he turns into Hanzal, but that's not how I'd project his skills from here. Hertl's playmaking is similar to Plekanec's, I guess, but that's where that comparison ends. So he's Hanzal with worse defense and better offense (which isn't really Hanzal) or a bigger, meaner, slower Plekanec (which isn't really Plekanec).

For Samuelsson, I liked your poor man's Landeskog comparison better. I think he'll be a 50-point player at his peak (as opposed to his rookie year), but otherwise, it's a fair analogy. He'll be a good player, but I think it's more likely he spends most of his career in the bottom six, which is why I'm leaning toward the gamebreaking potential of Bozon. I get the feeling that Samuelsson will be your Jenner this year, even though I like him a lot better than I liked Jenner.

Aberg has similar first line potential, but there's way less of a chance of his being there at 27. Pretty much no chance whatsoever, actually. He's like a faster Vrbata. I'd take him over anybody mentioned in this post.

Frk is an intriguing player but I'm not sure if I want to roll the dice on him in the first round. The upside is there, but he's got an awful lot of question marks. Boom or bust player, to be sure.

I wouldn't touch Sissons until the second round, personally. I'd much prefer Gaunce, though I suspect he's gone by then and he's not a player I love anyway. Sissons just strikes me as the sort of player who can put up big points in juniors by throwing his weight around but will be an energy line player in the pros due to lack of any elite skills. Think of the path guys like Boyd Gordon and Kyle Chipchura have had. These are good players to have around, but they're easy to find and not worth spending a first round pick on. And that's what I see for Sissons at best.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
XX
... Waiting

Brent Sutter is done in Calgary. Firing Edwards and putting Brent in Portland would be better than any draft pick we get this year.

With the roster we have, Tippett and any guys drafted going forward, we have to keep in mind that they are going to have a long gestation period. Maloney has expressed numerous times his desire to emulate the Red Wings by icing a NHL roster strong enough to prevent leaning on prospects before they are ready. Rushing guys during the Gretzky years may not have been fully his choice, but he has learned from it regardless.

Find guys who have a clear development path, regardless of length. Strong coaches and programs. Those are the types we may be leaning towards.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Brent Sutter is done in Calgary. Firing Edwards and putting Brent in Portland would be better than any draft pick we get this year.

With the roster we have, Tippett and any guys drafted going forward, we have to keep in mind that they are going to have a long gestation period. Maloney has expressed numerous times his desire to emulate the Red Wings by icing a NHL roster strong enough to prevent leaning on prospects before they are ready. Rushing guys during the Gretzky years may not have been fully his choice, but he has learned from it regardless.

Find guys who have a clear development path, regardless of length. Strong coaches and programs. Those are the types we may be leaning towards.
Given the Murphy pick last year, they're okay with drafting projects, which is a good thing. This makes me think Kerdiles would be a smart pick. He's committed to Wisconsin but could also go to Medicine Hat. Coming from the USNTDP, he's probably got at least a couple years to go before he's ready. He's a fierce player at both ends of the ice and would definitely fit this team.

I'm expecting to see a lot of projects available in the second round, too. Athanasiou could be there, but I expect someone to jump on him a little earlier, and anyway, I'm not really a fan. I'm a little warmer on Cristoval Nieves and Mike Jankowski, but both will likely go early 2nd. In terms of guys likely to be there at 57, I've really liked what I've read about Gemel Smith, though his late season production is cause for concern.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Samuelsson gets around the ice a whole helluva lot better than Boone.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Samuelsson gets around the ice a whole helluva lot better than Boone.
I don't think they're very similar players. I just think Samuelsson is going to be a guy who, over the next few weeks, you'll insist is worth taking anytime after 20, and I'll say he's not worth taking until 30 or so.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
hbk

I think you'll see Samuellson go around pick 20. Someone is going to look at his upward trajectory over the last few months and see a top 2 line power forward with surprisingly good hands. His rise will mean someone else will fall.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

There are a few forwards like, but I want us to trade the pick, with some other goodies for an nhl player.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
gulfcoastdawg

Draft Strategy

First let's acknowledge that the hardest thing to acquire in free agency or a trade is high end offensive talent. Goalies, defensive D-men and grinding forwards are often found bargain shopping. For a small market team like Phoenix I believe it is imperative to identify and draft high end potential offensive players with early picks
and benefit from their low cost years of ELC and RFA.

Most high end offensive talent is drafted in the first round and especially by the 45th pick. After that your odds of hitting offensive talent is pretty much the same through the end of the draft but you can somewhat improve on this if you are willing
to draft some smaller players downgraded simply due to size.

Given the above I would vote for Hertl (if still there at 27 and I am thinking more and more he won't be); or Bozon a winger with Top 6 skills and and aggressiveness.

Given the current depth at defense I would not draft another D man until lthe 3rd
round and would favor a puck moving defenseman.

Will try to identify some later round offensive talent in the next few days.

gulfcoastdawg is offline   Reply With Quote