HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

any reports on oates debut?

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 12:23 PM
fedorov_jr

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fedorov_jr Send a message via MSN to fedorov_jr
any reports on oates debut?

i know he doesnt wanna rush into things, but i was wondering when he's expecting to play his first game.... and who will his linemates be?

thanx in advance

Old
11-23-2003, 12:41 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
He said 2-3 weeks last night on HNIC. Of course, they were saying 1-2 weeks when he first signed, last week, so who knows.

Old
11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
He said 2-3 weeks last night on HNIC. Of course, they were saying 1-2 weeks when he first signed, last week, so who knows.
The detroit game is what I keep hearing, although that seems to soon for a guy who hadn't been skating until he signed. I say he should take as much time as he needs. The team obviously doesn't need his offence right now (although that might soon change), and what a debacle would it be if he got injured right away.

Old
11-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Magpies 4 Life

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
The detroit game is what I keep hearing, although that seems to soon for a guy who hadn't been skating until he signed. I say he should take as much time as he needs. The team obviously doesn't need his offence right now (although that might soon change), and what a debacle would it be if he got injured right away.
We will probably see Oates in a game or two. So yeah it looks like if he isnt in the lineup for detroit he will play against colorado for sure, that should make for a very interesting divisional matchup. Oates said he had been keeping in shape all offseason but wasn't skating. I doubt that such a veteran should take too long to get back into stride.

Old
11-23-2003, 02:03 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpies 4 Life
We will probably see Oates in a game or two. So yeah it looks like if he isnt in the lineup for detroit he will play against colorado for sure, that should make for a very interesting divisional matchup. Oates said he had been keeping in shape all offseason but wasn't skating. I doubt that such a veteran should take too long to get back into stride.
Shearer rules!!!!!!!!

Old
11-23-2003, 06:19 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpies 4 Life
I doubt that such a veteran should take too long to get back into stride.
Oates isn't just a veteran, he's a relic. Lets hope he didn't fossilize.

In the interview at the HC he seemed very concerned about injury and not rushing it, which is IMO good. However his contract is being prorated so he's not going to get paid until he suits up in a game. I guess the interesting question is when the money and impatience wins over cold logic.

Old
11-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

for the second part of ur question that ppl are seeming to forget to answer, he is likely gonna be lined up with smyth and hemsky to start, but if smyth stays on the 3rd line for now, then Izzy will be the top line.

Old
11-24-2003, 12:19 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
he is likely gonna be lined up with...hemsky

Hemsky to Oates...Oates to Hemsky...Hemsky back to Oates...Oates dishes to Hemsky...Hemsky looks to shoot...instead passes to Oates...looks for Hemsky for the one timer...Hemsky keeps it...goes in towards then net...shoots, no ,fakes...passes to Oates...

Old
11-24-2003, 12:26 AM
Tidus

I *hope* he's playing against Detroit so I can watch him play on TSN! I remember him saying thats his target date to play his first as an Oiler. Can't wait!

Old
11-24-2003, 05:10 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
for the second part of ur question that ppl are seeming to forget to answer
I didn't answer because I'm sure his guess is as good as mine, and til MacT says, that's all we're doing... guessing.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:23 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150

Hemsky to Oates...Oates to Hemsky...Hemsky back to Oates...Oates dishes to Hemsky...Hemsky looks to shoot...instead passes to Oates...looks for Hemsky for the one timer...Hemsky keeps it...goes in towards then net...shoots, no ,fakes...passes to Oates...

THEIF!! THAT'S MY JOKE!!! -ah well, lol, it's still funny/true

I'm also hoping that he's ready for the Detroit game, I'd like him to have a game under his belt before Oates is signed.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
THEIF!! THAT'S MY JOKE!!! -ah well, lol, it's still funny/true

I'm also hoping that he's ready for the Detroit game, I'd like him to have a game under his belt before Oates is signed.
Am i misreading something or wasn't Oates already signed?

Old
11-24-2003, 06:45 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Am i misreading something or wasn't Oates already signed?
lol, oops, sry man, I meant before he played.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Cerebral

I've got a feeling that Oates might still be a week or two way from his Oiler debut.. he's claimed that he doesn't want to risk injuries and I'd be pretty surprised if he was ready to go against Detroit as he hasn't been skating for very long at all! Who knows though, I'd love to see him on the ice Wednesday night.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

according to cfrn news, he'll be a game time decision for colombus.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:55 AM
barto

Quote:
according to cfrn news, he'll be a game time decision for colombus.
The papers today have him as doubtful for today, possible for Detroit, but for sure against the Avs - according to MacT!

Bart

Old
11-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
The papers today have him as doubtful for today, possible for Detroit, but for sure against the Avs - according to MacT!

Bart
Whew, that's great news!! I was a bit pessimistic previously and I'm pretty surprised Oates is ready so quickly.. he must be in a lot better shape than I originally anticipated! While it would be nice for him to get in tonight/tommorrow, it would be amazing for him to play his first game at home against the Avs!

Old
11-25-2003, 01:01 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Whew, that's great news!! I was a bit pessimistic previously and I'm pretty surprised Oates is ready so quickly.. he must be in a lot better shape than I originally anticipated! While it would be nice for him to get in tonight/tommorrow, it would be amazing for him to play his first game at home against the Avs!
It almost sounds like Oates himself is more cautious, but I also expect his first game to be a pretty quiet one...5-7 minutes, mostly PP time and taking key faceoffs. Ease him into things a bit! Oates is worried about injuries if he plays too soon, but maybe a limited role like that will satisfy everyone. It'll be fun to see what happens, but we shouldn't expect too much these first few games/weeks/months!

Bart

Closed Thread