HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why did Doan and Smith get a Game Misconduct?

Old
05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
I'm an objective fan who doesn't see what the big deal is. Smith held up his stick, obviously angry, but he didn't throw it at the ref. Please spare us all the melodrama. As for Doan, he did what every captain's job is to do -- make his point known to the officials. I didn't see him or any Coyote player doing anything beyond voicing their opinions. Totally acceptable, especially in that context.

LA won fair and square against a strong opponent. There's no need to create this make-believe aura of 'classlessness' about Phoenix.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm an objective fan who doesn't see what the big deal is. Smith held up his stick, obviously angry, but he didn't throw it at the ref. Please spare us all the melodrama. As for Doan, he did what every captain's job is to do -- make his point known to the officials. I didn't see him or any Coyote player doing anything beyond voicing their opinions. Totally acceptable, especially in that context.

LA won fair and square against a strong opponent. There's no need to create this make-believe aura of 'classlessness' about Phoenix.
Smith pretty clearly slid his stick in the direction of the refs. It wasn't like an overhand throw or anything, but it was pretty obvious why he sent it in that direction.

As for all the other "make believe" events you're referring to, the league is investigating them.

Quote:
The NHL is further investigating the postgame actions and comments of some Phoenix Coyotes players after their season-ending, overtime loss in the Western Conference finals, league executive vice president Colin Campbell told ESPN.com on Thursday.

The league is not pleased with some of what happened after Dustin Penner's overtime winner Tuesday night for the Kings, including Coyotes center Martin Hanzal skating aggressively toward a referee and making a gesture, goalie Mike Smith throwing his stick and Keith Yandle's postgame comment in which he suggested it was no surprise the calls didn't go his team's way given the similar colors of the refs' and Kings' uniforms.

"Their actions were unprofessional and unacceptable," Campbell told ESPN.com.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012...stgame-actions

Really though, all they can do is hand out some $2,500 fines so I don't see much coming of this. But the Coyotes behavior isn't some fabrication by people here.

Last edited by Harold Snepsts: 05-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Smith pretty clearly slid his stick in the direction of the refs. It wasn't like an overhand throw or anything, but it was pretty obvious why he sent it in that direction.

As for all the other "make believe" events you're referring to, the league is investigating them.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012...stgame-actions

Really though, all they can do is hand out some $2,500 fines so I don't see much coming of this. But the Coyotes behavior isn't some fabrication by people here.
I wasn't referring to Yandle's post-game comment. Agreed he should've kept his mouth shut and a fine is appropriate. But the on-ice stuff... I don't know, from the TV angle it didn't look like Smith was baiting the ref. I admit I didn't see Hanzal's actions, but I'll defend Doan's voicing his opinion. This all happened directly after Brown's hit, and considering the hit and the goal occurred within 30 seconds, it seems more fair to call the 'Yotes intensely frustrated than classless.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
I don't know, if the league really wanted to be tough about it, they could suspend them. I think the NHL is kind of in a tough spot here. You can't have players completely criticizing the officiating the way some of the Coyotes players did, but at the same time they know the $2500 fine means nothing but a suspension might seem overly harsh. That's where I am on this situation. Some punishment from the league is justified and a suspension seems a bit harsh, but a $2500 fine isn't going to stop anything. The league usually is pretty strict about punishing what they see as abuse of the officials.

I'm kind of surprised they're actually taking awhile with this because you would think the NHL would want to send a clear message that what happened the other night isn't going to be tolerated. But at the same time, I wonder if they're also concerned about making another big issue with the NHLPA right before the CBA expires. I'd imagine the NHL is going to want to be able to increase the amount they can fine players, something the PA isn't going to like. I also imagine the PA isn't going to be real happy if the NHL decides to suspend the Phoenix players because the league doesn't feel a $2500 fine is enough punishment.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Seriously... making me lose a lot of respect for the Coyotes and their fans. I was excited to see Smith doing well, but now... damn, what a punk.
Perfectly said.

The Coyotes showed who they really are both in the way that they charged the refs and in their poor sportsmanship during the handshake.

Oh also in the way a few of them talked to the media.

Sad showing.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I wasn't referring to Yandle's post-game comment. Agreed he should've kept his mouth shut and a fine is appropriate. But the on-ice stuff... I don't know, from the TV angle it didn't look like Smith was baiting the ref. I admit I didn't see Hanzal's actions, but I'll defend Doan's voicing his opinion. This all happened directly after Brown's hit, and considering the hit and the goal occurred within 30 seconds, it seems more fair to call the 'Yotes intensely frustrated than classless.
Smith absolutely was baiting the refs. He definitely slid his stick in their direction. While there was obviously no intent to injure anyone, he crossed the line and a fine is appropriate. Should be more than the $2500 max, but the NHL should have realized that amount of money is ridiculously low and does nothing to send a message.

At least it would make Smith a repeat offender the next time it happens though.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I will say this, when a goaltender loses his glove, the play should be blown dead. It's a good way for a goalie to get his fingers sliced off by a skate or hand broken from a puck. Can't believe the NHL doesn't have that in the rule book.
much like when a goalie loses his helmet, they shouldn't blow the play dead immediately if the attacking team has a scoring chance (which the Kings did with the puck loose in the slot), once the puck was cleared to the boards however, the refs should have blown it dead imo

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Can someone please tell me where Smith threw his stick at the ref? I saw him slide it. How dangerous.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Zippgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Smith should be suspended for throwing his stick at the officials
Absolutely. The threatening gesture with his stick and then the stick toss in the direction of where the refs were makes it pretty obvious. 1 game minimum. Plus a fine.

I liked both Smith and Doan before this series but not anymore. Remind me again why there is even a team in Phoenix.

Zippgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippgunn View Post
Absolutely. The threatening gesture with his stick and then the stick toss in the direction of where the refs were makes it pretty obvious. 1 game minimum. Plus a fine.

I liked both Smith and Doan before this series but not anymore. Remind me again why there is even a team in Phoenix.
Suspend Smith for sliding his stick. Hell, ban him from the league!

And there is no hockey team in Phoenix, people there don't even like the sport. Move them to Mexico City.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:02 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Can someone please tell me where Smith threw his stick at the ref? I saw him slide it. How dangerous.
Seeing as how the NHL is apparently investigating the incident, according to the article posted earlier this page. I'd say yeah, it was...
It wasn't in danger of hitting and hurting anyone sure, but it was still a stupid thing for Smith to do. More so after he had already slammed his stick while he skated towards the same refs yelling about a minute earlier...

And he guess what? If the NHL is investigating this whole fiasco, that means that what Smith did was in the league's eyes a lot more dangerous, and reckless than Brown's hit on Roszival which didn't even get looked at, so there's that too.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Suspend Smith for sliding his stick. Hell, ban him from the league!

And there is no hockey team in Phoenix, people there don't even like the sport. Move them to Mexico City.
Its about the gesture and poor sportsmanship. He certainly didnt throw his stick at the refs with the intention of hurting anyone but he did "chuck" it in that general direction...maybe 10-15ft away from them while yelling some choice words...it poor sportsmanship however you want to look at it. It's sad it came to that and its even sadder that he has to be defended over it by saying he harmlessly slid the stick, it should have left his hand till he stepped off the ice...then he could have did whatever the **** he wanted to do with it.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:00 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I don't know, if the league really wanted to be tough about it, they could suspend them. I think the NHL is kind of in a tough spot here. You can't have players completely criticizing the officiating the way some of the Coyotes players did, but at the same time they know the $2500 fine means nothing but a suspension might seem overly harsh. That's where I am on this situation. Some punishment from the league is justified and a suspension seems a bit harsh, but a $2500 fine isn't going to stop anything. The league usually is pretty strict about punishing what they see as abuse of the officials.

I'm kind of surprised they're actually taking awhile with this because you would think the NHL would want to send a clear message that what happened the other night isn't going to be tolerated. But at the same time, I wonder if they're also concerned about making another big issue with the NHLPA right before the CBA expires. I'd imagine the NHL is going to want to be able to increase the amount they can fine players, something the PA isn't going to like. I also imagine the PA isn't going to be real happy if the NHL decides to suspend the Phoenix players because the league doesn't feel a $2500 fine is enough punishment.
I agree that they should do something and that while a fine is clearly insufficient, a suspension might be going too far. On the other hand, do you think being suspended for a couple pre-season games would be adequate punishment?

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,0,54711.story
Quote:
Kings President and General Manager Dean Lombardi had strong words on Friday about the behavior of some of the Phoenix Coyotes players, condemning the post-game actions of goalie Mike Smith, who threw his stick toward an official and later lashed out at the officiating.

Lombardi asserted that Smith incited the crowd at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz., after the Kings beat the Coyotes, 4-3, in overtime in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals. He referenced European soccer and the rules governing the actions of the players in terms of inciting the crowd.

"What the courts said was that because the players attacked the officials -- because the players showed such disrespect for the officials -- that incited the crowd," Lombardi told The Times on Friday. "They blamed the players. Because those players were conducting themselves like that, it incited the crowd.

"There’s a lot to that. If those guys are acting in that manner toward the officials, it's a license for the crowd to do the same. What Smith did, he threw that stick at an official and then right after that, somebody is throwing a beer can at [Kings Coach] Darryl Sutter and our captain [Dustin Brown].

"That's why Europe has that rule. You are responsible for that riot if you are going to show that lack of respect for officials."

His comments came a day after the NHL said it was investigating the incident and the Coyotes' actions, according to ESPN.com. NHL executive vice president Colin Campbell told the website that the actions were "unprofessional and unacceptable."

Lombardi said he thought Smith should be suspended multiple games for the stick-throwing incident.

The Coyotes came unglued even before Dustin Penner's series-clinching goal in overtime, angered after Brown's hit on Michal Rozsival. Rozsival left the game with an injured knee, and the Kings scored on the next shift. Phoenix captain Shane Doan and others had words for Brown in the handshake line.

Said Lombardi: "I felt bad for Brownie. He waited a long time to get there."

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:46 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I agree that they should do something and that while a fine is clearly insufficient, a suspension might be going too far. On the other hand, do you think being suspended for a couple pre-season games would be adequate punishment?
That's the thing, I see this incident as involving more than just specific Coyote players after game 5. You already have Tippett crying foul toward the refs after game 2, and then failing to keep his guys in line post game.

I'd say you fine the Coyotes themselves (the way the Isles were) for the way the team conducted themselves as a whole but that opens the whole can of worms of the league levying a fine on itself so it goes back to you pretty much have to go after the specific players, but if they only miss pre-season games who cares. Then you look at well, if you suspend the players involved doesn't that put a kink in the whole potential new ownership issue? I mean the Coyotes first game under new ownership could see them without Smith, Doan, Hanzal, Yandle etc. for a handful of games...

It's a tough spot for the NHL to be in that's for sure.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
donkers*

We should have just let Phoenix fold.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Its funny the Kings have always been one of those team I wanted to see do well...... finally.

I mean they've had only one playoff round win since reaching the Cup in 92/93.

That's why I'm so surprised by the arrogance of fans on this forum. I guess when you're new to having a winning team showing some class can be a difficult theory to grasp.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:37 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Atta boy, Deano!!

Old
05-25-2012, 07:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Its funny the Kings have always been one of those team I wanted to see do well...... finally.

I mean they've had only one playoff round win since reaching the Cup in 92/93.

That's why I'm so surprised by the arrogance of fans on this forum. I guess when you're new to having a winning team showing some class can be a difficult theory to grasp.
So let me get this straight, because the Kings are Western Conference Champs their fans aren't allowed to have an opinion on the behavior of Coyote players in the aftermath of Game 5?

Pretty ridiculous.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So let me get this straight, because the Kings are Western Conference Champs their fans aren't allowed to have an opinion on the behavior of Coyote players in the aftermath of Game 5?

Pretty ridiculous.
Yeah I'm only talking about this thread

You're to close to the story to see it.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Yeah I'm only talking about this thread

You're to close to the story to see it.
To see what? That Kings fans are excited about the Kings going to the Stanley Cup Finals?

You're going to have to be more specific with examples and not generalizations. Every fan base is going to have its braggarts. I don't see any more or any less with the Kings. In fact, I think that we have been waiting so long that most of us are just grateful for the playoff run the Kings are having.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nedeff View Post
lmao posters whining about players whining.
This.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Jacob

Man, Mike Smith is insane. Why does he take a swing at Mike Richards AFTER the puck gets by him? That's Dale Hunter-like.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Atta boy, Deano!!
Let's hope this doesn't cost HIM $50K like something milder he said a while back...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote