HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nonis Interview

Old
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
The Leafs prospect depth is good in all departments but they need more star power. I expect the Leafs to target the BPA regardless of position and strongly expect them to trade down if the right offer is made.
Well trading down is a pretty good option if you're getting 2 mid-first picks. That's another + to your defensive depth and a great center prospect. Contrasting it to 2011 it's like getting Bartschi and Beaulieu for Strome.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
He was their highest point-getter this year. That's not support, that's leading.
Odd that the same description isn't attributed to the Leaf's highest point getter.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
416Leafer

I think we could probably get a decent D with one of the picks at 11 or 16, and then hope the other pick (be that Faksa, Gaunce, Collberg, etc) turns out better than they are currently projected.

In terms of the top 10, you'd have to think that Yakupov/Forsberg/Murray/Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Dumba will take 6/10 slots.

Which leaves 4 for likely Reinhart/Trouba/Ceci/Reilly/Terravainan/Faksa, meaning two of those should be available at 11, + options like Finn/Lindholm/Maata/Collberg/Jankowski/Gaunce/etc for either the 11 or 16 slot.

I don't know if I'd want them to trade down, but at least the 11th/16th picks sounds like an intriguing option.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's entirely possible, but I wonder if it would be the best way to go when we have depth but not high end quality. Such a move requires a ton of faith in the scouting department.
This is where we trust our scouts, I do think there is a lot of misconception of the the term high end talent here. You can have high end talent like Gaborik and still have a Ryan Callahan on your team, both have value to a team. One would argue Callahan has actually more value to the Rangers this spring. Maybe Gaunce can be one of these players.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Good times....

Thanks for bringing up the past like a dead, rotten horse corpse out of a stinky assed grave.

I just threw up in my mouth a little
if it quiets the lets trade down crowd, it's taste is bitter sweet.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
For the most part, drafts are crap shoots, it's gotten better in the last 10 years and people really do their homework. I just wish for once the Leafs would hit a home run at the draft. Like picking Scott Stevens instead of Gary Nylund. Or a Doug Weight instead of a Drake Berehowsky. I know lots of other teams missed them too, but come on, once would be nice.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
MoeLemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnizzle View Post
Some points I caught.

- AHL Playoffs have provided great experience for Gardiner and Frattin.
- Impressed with Scrivens, has performed at a higher level then expected.
- Scrivens will get a chance to make the team next training camp
- High rated prospects could easily fall in this draft, teams positional needs can change everything. A lot of great D prospects with different abilities.
- More likely to make trades then UFA's. May go after 1 or 2 FA's but primary improvement will come from trade.
- Today's his birthday Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Nonis said they want a goalie to play 40 games.

Meaning Luongo will not be a Leaf, thank you Jebus!!!
To me if I was a Leaf fan the bold part would worry me.
Not that Scrivens is a bad goalie but if they're giving he a chance
that means management is not looking to bring in a established NHL goalie.
Or a career back-up for Reimer.

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Caps: 11 & 16
Bolts: 10 & 19
Sabres: 12 & 21

All eastern teams that Leafs face multiple times per year.

I have a feeling Stevie Y might use his 2nd. pick for a goalie.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Paladin2799

Who is to say the leafs wont do a bounce trade?

Trade down say #5 for the caps 2 first rounders, then acquire another mid/low first then package all 3 for #2-#3 or something of the like.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Well that strategy is rather lame. If the player the Leafs wanted is gone by the 5th and thier plan B player is ranked 10th or so you would rather take that player 5th than 10th while getting another asset?
That makes no sense.
It's "lame" in the sense that there's no added sizzle to the straight forward pick, but look at when the Islanders traded their 5th overall in 2008 to us for the 7th, and then kept moving down, and ended up with Josh Bailey. I think they nabbed Hamonic out of the picks as well, but they also passed up on guys like Boedker, Wilson, Hogdson, Myers, Schenn, etc who could have been a better fit.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
It's "lame" in the sense that there's no added sizzle to the straight forward pick, but look at when the Islanders traded their 5th overall in 2008 to us for the 7th, and then kept moving down, and ended up with Josh Bailey. I think they nabbed Hamonic out of the picks as well, but they also passed up on guys like Boedker, Wilson, Hogdson, Myers, Schenn, etc who could have been a better fit.
I dont doubt that some of those players are poor passes, however the islanders had bailey selected from the beginning. if that is the guy that they want and he is available lower in the draft would you rather them select him at #5 overall? Thats silly. If bailey is the guy you want you trade down.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Caps: 11 & 16
Bolts: 10 & 19
Sabres: 12 & 21

All eastern teams that Leafs face multiple times per year.

I have a feeling Stevie Y might use his 2nd. pick for a goalie.
Vancouver won the lottery, moved up 4 slots.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
That was the first thing I thought too and possibly a trade with the Washington Capitals who have the 11th and 16th picks.

11- Griffin Reinhart
16- Brendan Gaunce
but with caution...

ie) if Galchenyuk or Grigorenko are BOTH still available do you make this trade?

Also, I have a feeling that Mr Reinhart could sneak into the top 5 so...

HockeyNightInBelfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

An article about the interview from Sportsnet...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ronto_marlies/

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

5th + Colborne + Franson for 10th + 19th + Connolly.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:34 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Or they could move down if they feel Gigorenko or Gally could fall for whatever reason.

Some team may like Dumba and want him in the 5 spot, or Reinhart. So the Maple Leafs shuffle down a few spots, pick up an extra second round pick and still get the guy they want. That would be a good use of assets IMO. Then it gives you the option of moving two second round picks to jump into the 1st round (if they like someone at the end of round one - for example). There should be some quality defensive talent in that range still if they want to land a forward with the first pick and pick up a defenseman after.

I think it'll be that type of draft. I've maintained my position that I'm expecting more movement in the top 10 then what we've seen in previous years. It'll be interesting to see if it plays out that way.

What we do know, based on Burke's tenure here, is that he's aggressive in the players he wants. Just two moves that come to mind in that regard as Biggs and Ross. At the 5th spot, Burke should at least be in more of the drivers seat this time around.
Respect that move - Ross does appear to be a one-of-a-kind, can't wait to see him in action, hopefully for at least a year under Dallas Eakins

Old
05-25-2012, 06:41 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I posted a month ago or more that there is not much to choose from between Faksa and Gaunce.

IMO if we get 1 of the 2, and draft one of the D that we have been mentioned so much here for the past month, including Finn or Ceci who are often forgotten. I feel this draft would have been highly successful for us. We addressed 2 needs as opposed to 1.

It really comes down to Morrison, we know Burke values his opinion as he wanted to pick Percy before Biggs last year, but Morrison advised him rightfully if he wanted both he had to move the 30-39th for the 22nd pick while assuring him that Percy would be there at #25.

I also wouldn't put it past Burke to revisit one of those deals he said he had 1sts in place at the deadline if a player is still on the board that our scouts really covet.
Let's hope so. Why did he bother telling us that, what a moron??? Only time other than the Kessel deal he's really irked me. Mac for a 1st opens up a spot for Kadri right? SO what, big deal, do it!!

Old
05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
So you wanted them to draft Josh Bailey 5th over-all?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
So you wanted them to draft Josh Bailey 5th over-all?
I want them to draft the player who is BPA at 5, not deke themselves out of a potential impact player because they're trying to get too cute. One guy who was consistently creative at the draft was Mike Milbury.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
I want them to draft the player who is BPA at 5, not deke themselves out of a potential impact player because they're trying to get too cute. One guy who was consistently creative at the draft was Mike Milbury.
I agree, I want them to draft the BPA.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Brown Dog

I agree with Stephen. Now of all times we need to be swinging for the fences with this draft.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
But I think the point there is, if the BPA on your list, isn't as highly regarded on other teams in your area's list, why not move down? Apparently, that was the situation in the Islanders example. I don't think it's wise to just sit there and pick your guy at 5 when he can be there at 7 and you gain an additional asset in the process.

Islanders had Bailey targeted, but knew they could move down and nab him. Could they have selected other players? Sure, but if they wanted Bailey from the start the other players don't matter.

05-25-2012, 09:43 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
But I think the point there is, if the BPA on your list, isn't as highly regarded on other teams in your area's list, why not move down? Apparently, that was the situation in the Islanders example. I don't think it's wise to just sit there and pick your guy at 5 when he can be there at 7 and you gain an additional asset in the process.

Islanders had Bailey targeted, but knew they could move down and nab him. Could they have selected other players? Sure, but if they wanted Bailey from the start the other players don't matter.
Brilliant JEI, that is what I was trying to say.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:36 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Galchenyuk or bust in my books.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Galchenyuk or bust in my books.
It's quite possible with Timmins reportedly being so anti-Grigorenko that Galchenyuk will be the one Montreal picks 3rd overall. If Grigorenko is the one to fall to 5th, I wouldn't be so opposed to trade the 5th overall because everything after the 4th will be a crap shoot; unless Grigorenko proves to be such a good interview and scouts think he will overcome that "Russian factor", Galchenyuk will most likely be gone by the time we pick. Which means, if we are 5th and the top 4 are gone, with Trouba, Reinhart, Faksa, Maatta and Gaunce still there, we could trade down and attempt to snag at least one or two of them and it isn't so bad. However, the draft never happens the way it's supposed to so I'm praying hard that either Murray, Forsberg, or Galchenyuk falls to us.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote