HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This year - Over or Underachievement ? (Torts/Fatigue/Complain and feel better)

Old
05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I just cant wrap this year around my head yet, check this:

1) Make elite UFA singing in Brad Richards - Richards Delivers an excellent year (CHECK)
2) Henrik will most likely win the Vezina - we posses a top 2 goalie (CHECK)
3) McD clearly has been the best Dman in the playoffs (CHECK)
4) Finish the year in first place with a healthy roster and a rested goaltender (CHECK)
5) Torts up for coach of the year (CHECK)
6) Gabby finishes 3rd in goals (CHECK)

How can we just be happy getting eliminated in the ECF? We've nearly lost every series - it just doesn't make sense to have all this and to struggle so much.

This is a clear recipe for a cup win.
Regular season hockey isn't playoff hockey (CHECK)
PP Sucked (CHECK)
No True #1 LW (CHECK)
Running your Top 4 D into the ice all season and PO's (CHECK)
Lack of Crease Clearing Dman (CHECK) - never more apparent on the series OT winner

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:39 PM
NCRanger

The question that needs to be asked is was this team as good as their record?

I'm really not so sure. They finished the last 18 games of the season 9-9, and finished the playoffs 10-10 against three teams they should be better than.

I think the style eventually wore these guys out. During the first 50 or so games, they had a fairly easy schedule rest wise, even taking Europe into consideration. Once the end of February rolled around, they were playing at least every night into the playoffs. The style of play took its toll on the offensive abilities of the team. I'm very interested to hear what kind of injuries these guys have and have hidden for the past few weeks.

Team reminds me in a lot of ways to the 2001-2002 Carolina Hurricanes. Not so much overacheiving, but relying on a grind it out style from Game 1 of a 82 game season + playoffs. Eventually the players just give out.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Swedish Fish
LETS DOOO THISSS

We went from winning 1 playoff game last year to winning 10 + winning the division +winning the winter classic. This team is very close to a cup, we know the problems this team has, hopefully we can fix them.

Swedish Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Get Sauer back healthy.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Overachievement. We didnt play real good, and still managed to squeeze by. Both in the regular and the post season.
Team has tons of character, but not enough talent.
Given the right moves are done this off season, this team will be real strong next season.
Well done; this is no time to sit back and not do anything like at the deadline; time for Sather to get busy and make some key moves to changes the makeup of this team so that we are bigger, tougher to deal with and more offensively productive.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:47 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Overachieved.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post

Over achievement by this team, great experience to build off though.

I agree with this. How many of you thought at the beginning of the season that the Rangers would make it to the Conference Finals?

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Get Sauer back healthy.
Unfortunately I feel his career is over. The latest news we got (February?) didn't sound great.

Wish him the best, maybe he can play again one day

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
The question that needs to be asked is was this team as good as their record?

I'm really not so sure. They finished the last 18 games of the season 9-9, and finished the playoffs 10-10 against three teams they should be better than.

I think the style eventually wore these guys out. During the first 50 or so games, they had a fairly easy schedule rest wise, even taking Europe into consideration. Once the end of February rolled around, they were playing at least every night into the playoffs. The style of play took its toll on the offensive abilities of the team. I'm very interested to hear what kind of injuries these guys have and have hidden for the past few weeks.

Team reminds me in a lot of ways to the 2001-2002 Carolina Hurricanes. Not so much overacheiving, but relying on a grind it out style from Game 1 of a 82 game season + playoffs. Eventually the players just give out.
Terrific post; we need to change the roster a bit; get bigger, more offense, and try to make McIIrath ready along with Sauer healthy. That's for starters!

Old
05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Get Sauer back healthy.
Hopefully. We missed him.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Yeah, something about Sauer tells me that we won't see him again for a long time, if ever.

Real shame.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:07 PM
MDL8981

Overachieved....but underachieved in the playoffs (if that makes any sense).

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Regular season hockey isn't playoff hockey (CHECK)
PP Sucked (CHECK)
No True #1 LW (CHECK)
Running your Top 4 D into the ice all season and PO's (CHECK)
Lack of Crease Clearing Dman (CHECK) - never more apparent on the series OT winner
Right on the money dude. For the umpteenth time, our roster has to be upgraded with players who are bigger, more offensively creative, and better geared to playoff hockey.
I would look to San Jose (which should be overturning their roster) about Pavelski, Clowe, Murray and Colombus about Nash.
Trade chips that I would definitely consider moving for the right deal:
Gaborik, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Stepan-?, Boyle,Duby-?
Prospect: Thomas, Miller, ??
Pick(s)

This is no time to sit still and rest on our laurels; Sather has got to be proactive this summer!
Of course, if we get lucky and convince Parise to sign here, that would be an excellent start!

Old
05-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Above and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Team was cooked. From March to today, cooked. From March 1 to today, Rangers went 21-20.

That said, this team needs serious help on the PP and a fourth line that can contribute about 10 goals per player.

100% agree. You hit the nail on the head.

A burnt out squad from all the grinding, close games, and shot blocking compounded with the abysmal PP was this team's undoing. Its really that simple.

If only this team had a top 15 PP and some goal support for Henrik... they'd be scary good.

We are so close, though. I ain't even mad. This team gave it their all. We've seen key players take the next step. This team has great things in its future again!

Above and Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:03 AM
ltsthinaz

Of course they overachieved. And while I agree Torts was outcoached in the playoffs, and he's so stubborn he won't ever change his tactics (and his love of useless grinders like Boyle, Rupp, Mitchell, etc.), he flogged this untalented bunch of forwards (for the most part) plus a top-flight young defense and an All-world goalie to 51 wins. They simply don't have enough talent up front to win the Cup, yet. But they are definitely on the upswing, and I think Lundqvist still has 5-7 good years left, since for the most part he relies on positioning and not acrobatics. Keep drafting well, developing depth and young players with size and speed (remember, Kreider was a 15th pick in the draft), add a free agent here and there, and we will be a contender every year for a decade.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Thunderhead

over.
hank will lift the cup in 2 to 3 years tops .

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

How everyone saying we overachieved and are still confident in this team is beyond me.

If we overachieved, we're not winning a Cup this decade.

I like to think we played just at our level. No under or over achievement- but we need some improvements. Specifically we can't go .500 for 3 months again.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:16 AM
XploD

As I see it we only have 2 problems:

1. Lack of scoring talent.
2. ****ing terrible power play. Getting this far with the worst power play I've ever seen is amazing.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:27 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
How everyone saying we overachieved and are still confident in this team is beyond me.

If we overachieved, we're not winning a Cup this decade.

I like to think we played just at our level. No under or over achievement- but we need some improvements. Specifically we can't go .500 for 3 months again.
Well, you can go .500 in the middle of the season, but not in the postseason, ie New Jersey and Los Angeles.

Might have to move away from all the shot blocking they did in the middle of the season and just turn that facet on during the postseason. The more experience they get, the less shots they will need to block because they'll have possession of the puck.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Affinity

We definitely overachieved. I expected this kind of regular season happening next year. Post-season was exactly what I expected.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Fatigue was a big part at the end and had we won the last 2 against devs - the kings still would've had some quality rest and relaxation...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:10 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I just cant wrap this year around my head yet, check this:

1) Make elite UFA singing in Brad Richards - Richards Delivers an excellent year (CHECK)
2) Henrik will most likely win the Vezina - we posses a top 2 goalie (CHECK)
3) McD clearly has been the best Dman in the playoffs (CHECK)
4) Finish the year in first place with a healthy roster and a rested goaltender (CHECK)
5) Torts up for coach of the year (CHECK)
6) Gabby finishes 3rd in goals (CHECK)

How can we just be happy getting eliminated in the ECF? We've nearly lost every series - it just doesn't make sense to have all this and to struggle so much.

This is a clear recipe for a cup win.
All year long it was said the PP would be the teams downfall. The irony is that in the last series percentage wise it was excellent.

However if it was clicking in rounds one and two then those series do not go seven games. I think they would have dealt Ottawa in five or six and the Caps in five.

Round three would have been a well rested squad, and we are probably preparing for the Kings instead of the Devils.

In the end the PP was in fact their undoing.

That all being said it was an AMAZING season. What a ride!

Be proud of this team. I truly feel they are but one piece away. Hopefully a move is made to address it. Oh and they might want to address the PP while they're at it too

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

PP had a great percentage this series, but how good was the PP when it truly mattered? They scored 4 PP goals in the first 3 games. Had two in game 2 (which makes losing that much worse). From games 4-6 they went 0-6. Score one PP goal in each game out of the 5 chances that they had in games 5 & 6 and the Rangers may be the ones moving on.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
JayQueensNY88*

I was very happy this season! Over achieved i expected a 2nd rnd p.o outting and a 5-6 seed....damn i was wrong..proud to be a NYR fan..LETS GO RANGERS

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Kershaw

Overachieved big time in regular season.

Came back down to Earth in postseason.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote