05-23-2012, 08:28 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Calgary interested in John Davidson?

Thoughts?

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/J...ting-Attention

Quote:
According to sources there’s talk in Canada of the Calgary Flames interested in hiring Blues President John Davidson. The Flames are in a similar situation, albeit not as bad, that the Blues were in when Davidson joined the organization in 2006. Would they turn to JD to assist in building the Flames back up?

Quote:
There’s talk of current Flames President Ken King staying on board to oversee the business side of the organization.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:35 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

This would be an awesome move by the Flames if it happened.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
King moving to the purely business side of the Flames (so he can remain involved with the new rink and what not) with someone else who can focus on the hockey side coming in as president would be ideal. Davidson seems like good candidate but the article did state that he's just started a multi-year deal as the Blues president.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 712
Can't have too many good hockey people in the organization.

Here's to hoping the rumours are true.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:24 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Here's Davidson's bio:

http://blues.nhl.com/club/page.htm?b...a_fro_davidson

Quote:
Since his arrival, Davidson has been involved in the acquisitions of Andy McDonald, Alex Steen, Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk while continuing to develop a solid young team.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:58 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
yes please!

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Medium Rare*

I would definitely approve. JD is a very smart man, but would he be able to just up and leave the Blues for a position that is not a promotion? Or is his contract up?

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'd be all for this.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:46 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Please, oh please.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Hopefully he brings Al with him.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Perro

I can't see St. Louis letting him go.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Bear61

I would like to see Davidson join the Flames organization, as would many others...

However, it looks like he has stated he has had no conversations with the team...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-flames-radar/

Bear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
MarkGio

I'm all for adding front office staff, but this is sooo speculative that I can't even comment on it..... except for this comment.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Mike Jones

Does anybody seriously think King would leave the hockey side alone? For even one minute...?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Does anybody seriously think King would leave the hockey side alone? For even one minute...?
The speculation is King would take on President duties for the entire Flames group and JD would just be President of Hockey Operations.

Which I could see, especially if arena plans are moving forward.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
The speculation is King would take on President duties for the entire Flames group and JD would just be President of Hockey Operations.

Which I could see, especially if arena plans are moving forward.
Again, do people seriously think he's going to leave the hockey side alone and focus exclusively on business?

Sometimes I think that the job he really wants is the one Feaster currently has.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Again, do people seriously think he's going to leave the hockey side alone and focus exclusively on business?

Sometimes I think that the job he really wants is the one Feaster currently has.
sometimes I think people don't use their brains.

King already has his plate full. He is a businessman, not a hockey guy. He wants to be CEO of an ever expanding conglomerate. His role is expanding and he needs help and that help will very likely be on the hockey side.

So yes people seriously think he is willing to focus on business.

King has done a ton for this franchise and people like you need to learn to shut their traps and appreciate everything he has done.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
King has done a ton for this franchise and people like you need to learn to shut their traps and appreciate everything he has done.
Looking at the team now I think it's fair to say that he's done enough.

If King can stick to business he's an asset. But that's a big if. Maybe Davidson is one of those people who can force King to stay in his office and stick to his knitting.

Last edited by Mike Jones: 05-25-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Congo

Even if Davidson isn't brought on board, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames hire someone to act as President of Hockey Operations. Right now he's in charge of running the Flames organization, which at last count included...the Calgary Flames, the Calgary Hitmen, the Calgary Stampeders, the Calgary Roughnecks, the Abbotsford Heat (partial), Flames Central, the Scotiabank Saddledome and the Flames Foundation for Life, plus all the other charitable work the organization does. That is a lot of business that he oversees, and it has only increased in the past few years. If he brings in someone to oversee hockey operations and let him do the business stuff then more power to him.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
Even if Davidson isn't brought on board, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames hire someone to act as President of Hockey Operations. Right now he's in charge of running the Flames organization, which at last count included...the Calgary Flames, the Calgary Hitmen, the Calgary Stampeders, the Calgary Roughnecks, the Abbotsford Heat (partial), Flames Central, the Scotiabank Saddledome and the Flames Foundation for Life, plus all the other charitable work the organization does. That is a lot of business that he oversees, and it has only increased in the past few years. If he brings in someone to oversee hockey operations and let him do the business stuff then more power to him.
Well isn't that what Feaster is for? More or less? Plus Feaster has two henchmen, so that's three people paid solely to spend 8 hours a day to make hockey decisions. If you include scouts, coaches, and developers, there should be informed decisions already. All King has to do is approve a page of recommendations, and if King doesn't approve recommendations because he isn't sure if it's the best move, then obviously he doesn't trust his staff.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:02 AM
h22prelude93

New Article from JR (The Blues top writer) - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...d44c087ac.html

Sounds like he could be replaced by Brett Hull. *cringes*

BTW he said: "I have not had any conversations with the Calgary Flames", BUT that doesn't mean that Calgary isn't interested as Strickland reported. Strickland's credibility is horrible in St.Louis(he is pretty much known as the red-headed stepchild of Blues reporting), but he does seem to have a close relationship with JD. I could see an instance where JD may have whispered something to him and told him to not quote him directly. Either way, if he does somehow end up in Calgary you will be getting a man of true character with patience and a heck of a hockey mind.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
New Article from JR (The Blues top writer) - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...d44c087ac.html

Sounds like he could be replaced by Brett Hull. *cringes*

BTW he said: "I have not had any conversations with the Calgary Flames", BUT that doesn't mean that Calgary isn't interested as Strickland reported. Strickland's credibility is horrible in St.Louis(he is pretty much known as the red-headed stepchild of Blues reporting), but he does seem to have a close relationship with JD. I could see an instance where JD may have whispered something to him and told him to not quote him directly. Either way, if he does somehow end up in Calgary you will be getting a man of true character with patience and a heck of a hockey mind.
Well now it just became a touch less speculative. Now it's an e(4) right?

If it happens, it's good for the club. Any additional staff is good for the club.

Old
05-26-2012, 06:57 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Either way, if he does somehow end up in Calgary you will be getting a man of true character with patience and a heck of a hockey mind.

Absolutely, that's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he ends up here. He's a hockey mind, like you said. Ken King is not. King would be better suited for the business side of operations, I think.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I really think King needs to be credited a lot for returning the Flames to a respectable franchise when he came on. The only thing that bothers me about King are the rumors of how he is potentially over involved with hockey side of things. No one knows for sure what is going on, but a guy in King's position needs to trust his GM and if he doesn't, that GM should not be employed by that organization.

I think King is an excellent business man and he is extremely intelligent. But I would totally be in favor of the Flames bringing in a hockey guy like JD to run the hockey side of things and let King focus more exclusively on the business side of things.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I really think King needs to be credited a lot for returning the Flames to a respectable franchise when he came on. The only thing that bothers me about King are the rumors of how he is potentially over involved with hockey side of things. No one knows for sure what is going on, but a guy in King's position needs to trust his GM and if he doesn't, that GM should not be employed by that organization.

I think King is an excellent business man and he is extremely intelligent. But I would totally be in favor of the Flames bringing in a hockey guy like JD to run the hockey side of things and let King focus more exclusively on the business side of things.
Again, I completely agree with you MVW.

It really bothers me when reporters and the media let us know that higher ups in Calgary don't want to think rebuild, or another direction (As in many reported on Sutter's conclusion).

I do like King. I think he's done a lot for Calgary in general... The only issue again, is he's not really a hockey guy.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote