HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis Interview

Old
05-26-2012, 12:51 AM
agropop

vCash: 500
I'd sit at 5 until Murray is off the board, if we can't get him I'd consider trading down.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
But I think the point there is, if the BPA on your list, isn't as highly regarded on other teams in your area's list, why not move down? Apparently, that was the situation in the Islanders example. I don't think it's wise to just sit there and pick your guy at 5 when he can be there at 7 and you gain an additional asset in the process.

Islanders had Bailey targeted, but knew they could move down and nab him. Could they have selected other players? Sure, but if they wanted Bailey from the start the other players don't matter.
Fans say "our team should select the BPA" all the time but when they read about the draft, hear certain names & then their team selects someone off the board, they freak out. People always assume that top 5 automatically equals a superior player no matter what & that is a mistake. If the management team knows that a certain player has star potential & you can move down a couple of spots & still get him, you do it.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Any one have a link to where I can listen to the interview? Like do they record their station so people can listen to everything later on?

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:23 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Didn't Burke choose not to trade down when he selected a lower ranked player in Bobby Ryan? I don't think it was too far, but he still chose him where nobody expected him too. I've heard of Burke trading up for Pronger, Sedin and Biggs, has he ever really moved down with any significants?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:20 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Wonder if he was hinting at us when he said one team might have a guy ranked third while another team might rank him tenth?

Maybe a shocker pick coming up?
Yea..I think he meant a team like EDM needs defence in a big way...they have huge fwd star power with eberle and hall. So therefore maybe EDM and TOR swap 1st rounders as we are lacking in the foward (center) department. Like ive said before...I doubt burke doesnt either trade up to pick 1 or 2, OR if he cant do that he will use that pick to get Nash, Parise....or another elite player (hense our #1 center).

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:44 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I agree with Stephen. Now of all times we need to be swinging for the fences with this draft.
What is with the build through just the draft garbage. Look at the Marlies, and see how great our guys are doing. When your AHL team is doing that well, and not out of no where either. You have to look at that and say....great job Burkie. Look at who is playing really well and its mostly Burkes acquistions, and most of them we didnt draft. Frattin, Gardiner, Di'Amigo, Deschamps, Scrivens, Colborne, Ashton.....all via NCAA or trade. I am not saying the draft is not important, but this draft more then any of late has a lot of players that are closer in skill level in the top 15 guys then usual. Meaning the key here is....if Toronto scouts did a good job scouting, we maybe be able to parlay our #5 overall and move up or down depending who Burke wants. I still think though we will not pick 5th and if anything move up, what with EDM already saying they will listen to offers for that #1...its not mystery they need dfence and would probably go after Ryan Murray, who is going to go top 10 for sure and probably higher. Though Murray was last ranked 12th OV that was before the Worlds Tourney where he didnt look out of place against NHL calibre players.

Besides all of the above; I really am scratching my head also because all you guys on here that say, Burke is stupid, OMFG we arent in the playoffs again fire Burke, and then after the season are worried about just the draft....I dunno what you are smoking. While building through the draft is not a bad option, it is not the best one for us unless we get an NHL ready player out of it. Does Leaf Nation want to make the playoffs next year? YES...will the same lot of you say Burke is stupid for picking blank 5th OV and the guy played in AHL all season, thusly not affecting the big clubs playoff run? YES....It is simple, in my eyes we need to get the pieces missing before the season starts to have a great shot at getting in...#1 goalie (veteran) #1 center...some more size and tenacious players (while being able to score). A lot of work for certain but if any one can pull it off Burke can. His job is on the line, and I think this off season we will see him make moves that previously he would have decided not to. In his season ending presser he acknowledged we did not have the players to make the playoffs and make a run and this off season he would be fixing that issue. Depending on the draft for that fix is not realistic, and our Marlies are looking amazing so dont go and say "what about the future."

I see Kadri gone this off season, and one of Colborne and Frattin which sux, but in order to get good pieces back in a deal u need to trade assests the other way....out of the above I'd rather keep Frattin out of the 3 I think he is going to be a great PFW with offensive upside...he is fridge with wheels and a shot...just what we need.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
Let's hope so. Why did he bother telling us that, what a moron??? Only time other than the Kessel deal he's really irked me. Mac for a 1st opens up a spot for Kadri right? SO what, big deal, do it!!
The guys I would be looking to deal that most likely will bring back the most value that we can replace are Mac, Grabo, and Schenn(assuming we draft a D man or sign a FA)

I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on anyone of them. Frattin can step up and replace Mac, Kadri or Colborne can compete for a top 6 spot next year, and we have plenty depth on D to offset a loss of Schenn. We will see, but adding picks and a Goalie should be our biggest priorities. I'm not so keen on getting Nash if that means we lose some of our prospects, I don't think we are at that stage yet. Signing Lupul is a must next year, so moving Grabo's 5.5 for a 3rd line C seems like a prudent move.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Both Burke and Nonis have said a trade is coming...

Let the rampant speculation begin!

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:48 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post

Thanks tips lol Burke said in season ending presser....."we do not have the personell in place to be a playoff contender, and this would be addressed in the off-season."

So far from what I have heard...Nash is still on our A list of guys to land in the off-season, and recently read on here so is J Staal. I also still think we have a shot at Getzlaf esp now with Randy at the helm.

Old
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
What is with the build through just the draft garbage. Look at the Marlies, and see how great our guys are doing. When your AHL team is doing that well, and not out of no where either. You have to look at that and say....great job Burkie. Look at who is playing really well and its mostly Burkes acquistions, and most of them we didnt draft. Frattin, Gardiner, Di'Amigo, Deschamps, Scrivens, Colborne, Ashton.....all via NCAA or trade. I am not saying the draft is not important, but this draft more then any of late has a lot of players that are closer in skill level in the top 15 guys then usual. Meaning the key here is....if Toronto scouts did a good job scouting, we maybe be able to parlay our #5 overall and move up or down depending who Burke wants. I still think though we will not pick 5th and if anything move up, what with EDM already saying they will listen to offers for that #1...its not mystery they need dfence and would probably go after Ryan Murray, who is going to go top 10 for sure and probably higher. Though Murray was last ranked 12th OV that was before the Worlds Tourney where he didnt look out of place against NHL calibre players.

Besides all of the above; I really am scratching my head also because all you guys on here that say, Burke is stupid, OMFG we arent in the playoffs again fire Burke, and then after the season are worried about just the draft....I dunno what you are smoking. While building through the draft is not a bad option, it is not the best one for us unless we get an NHL ready player out of it. Does Leaf Nation want to make the playoffs next year? YES...will the same lot of you say Burke is stupid for picking blank 5th OV and the guy played in AHL all season, thusly not affecting the big clubs playoff run? YES....It is simple, in my eyes we need to get the pieces missing before the season starts to have a great shot at getting in...#1 goalie (veteran) #1 center...some more size and tenacious players (while being able to score). A lot of work for certain but if any one can pull it off Burke can. His job is on the line, and I think this off season we will see him make moves that previously he would have decided not to. In his season ending presser he acknowledged we did not have the players to make the playoffs and make a run and this off season he would be fixing that issue. Depending on the draft for that fix is not realistic, and our Marlies are looking amazing so dont go and say "what about the future."

I see Kadri gone this off season, and one of Colborne and Frattin which sux, but in order to get good pieces back in a deal u need to trade assests the other way....out of the above I'd rather keep Frattin out of the 3 I think he is going to be a great PFW with offensive upside...he is fridge with wheels and a shot...just what we need.

You need to fact-check that statement there

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Any one have a link to where I can listen to the interview? Like do they record their station so people can listen to everything later on?
http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...25_080811_1040

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Kitsy

I am usually a very positive Leafs fan but if we do not get one of:
Galy
Grigs
Murray
Forsberg

Because we traded down our number 5 pick I will not be happy. Our prospect depth is solid and among the best in the league. What we need is the elite guy at the top of that prospect pile.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post

Uhhh...link?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
I am usually a very positive Leafs fan but if we do not get one of:
Galy
Grigs
Murray
Forsberg

Because we traded down our number 5 pick I will not be happy. Our prospect depth is solid and among the best in the league. What we need is the elite guy at the top of that prospect pile.
I'm pretty sure we can trade down for Galy, lets be honest here. No one in the top 10 will risk their pick on a question mark.

I also hear Grigs is gonna fall hard, hopefully we can pick him up and have him bloom into........Kovalev

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
I'm pretty sure we can trade down for Galy, lets be honest here. No one in the top 10 will risk their pick on a question mark.

I also hear Grigs is gonna fall hard, hopefully we can pick him up and have him bloom into........Kovalev
Sorry but no.. He has like a 15% chance of falling to us. Grigo was supposed to be top 2 but no way ANA passes on him.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Kitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post

Sorry but I see no way that Galy falls out of the top ten. I would be shocked if he is not in the top 6.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:33 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

If Galchenyuk comes to us you draft him and don't look back.

This guy is gonna be an elite star and we would should be doing backflips if he falls to our pick.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:05 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Fans say "our team should select the BPA" all the time but when they read about the draft, hear certain names & then their team selects someone off the board, they freak out. People always assume that top 5 automatically equals a superior player no matter what & that is a mistake. If the management team knows that a certain player has star potential & you can move down a couple of spots & still get him, you do it.
Absolutely.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:13 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I'll be pretty happy with almost anyone we get at 5. As long as it's nothing completely outrageous, and off the board.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I'll be pretty happy with almost anyone we get at 5. As long as it's nothing completely outrageous, and off the board.
Yep.

Any one of Yakupov, Murray, Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko and I will be happy.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:00 PM
darrylsittler27

Trade we dont need no stinkin trade!

Trade for what?To distract us?Take the best player available at 5th and they cant lose.Sign Vokoun and dangle for another good center.How hard is this?You can bring up Kadri and Frattin to tantalize the masses but Schenn for JVR seems inevitiable.Philly will have to sweeten the pot because of JVR's concussion though.So JVR plus Phillys first for Schenn or bleep off,we will suck next year anyway.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 05-29-2012 at 11:06 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote