HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: An Oilers/Rangers off season proposal

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
burgess1978

vCash: 500
... the Rangers and Oilers continue the Markkanen ping-pong.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
BigE

From my point of view we're giving up someone young but it would take a young package in return.

Montoya for Pouliot and Bergeron.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
From my point of view we're giving up someone young but it would take a young package in return.

Montoya for Pouliot and Bergeron.
Pass on Pouliot.

Rather have Torres.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Fletch

I haven't seen enough of Torres...

to make a real decision. What I've seen, I've liked, and it seems that this season he's beginning to come into his own (25 goals - and I noticed he only gets averages around 13 minutes of ice time per game). With Prucha as the top left winger and him as a second, that's not bad in terms of production and youth. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd be dealing Montoya this season.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
I have a better idea. If Florida is not going to re-sign Luongo, I'd trade Monty for Horton straight up (Horton can play both C and RW) or pick up underachieving Weiss and Florida's 1st (of course we'd have to give up like a 2nd rounder to get that top 10 pick). Weiss, I think, should fit perfectly between Straka and Sykora next season.

All right. Blast it!
Dear God, I hope you aren't seriously expecting Horton as a return on Montoya.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
SML

Half the people here wouldn't give up Montoya for a shot at Staal, there's no way they give him up for Torres, who I like, but just isn't really what we need right now.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
hahah sure you leep believing that... hahahahah

seriously, do you watch hockey? or did you just become a rangers fans this year after they started winning?

Way to skirt the issue.

If you really think you can get Montoya for your spare parts, well then I'd like to introduce you to JOrtmeyer41. I bet with your creative minds combined, we could deal Poti and Hossa for Todd Harvey and Igor Ulanov.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Dear God, I hope you aren't seriously expecting Horton as a return on Montoya.
Horton is a bit inconsistent, but he is a good combination of size, speed, grit, goal scoring ability, physicality. And he is going to be 21 this year. I see a leaner, quicker and faster Turd Bertuzzi in him in the future. What's not to like?

But that was just an idea. I would not deal Montoya for pretty much anybody right now. He is the best goalie not playing in NHL and even with Lundqvist, our goaltender cup is half full. After Monty, we don't have anyone. I've mentioned it in another thread, but God forbid we have the same scenario as we did with Blacky, we'd be screwed long-term without Monty. Unless there's an Ovechkin, Eric Staal, Crosby, Phaneuf or Malkin coming this way, I would not deal Monty.

Old
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Horton is a bit inconsistent, but he is a good combination of size, speed, grit, goal scoring ability, physicality. And he is going to be 21 this year. I see a leaner, quicker and faster Turd Bertuzzi in him in the future. What's not to like?
That's great, and I agree, but that's only half the equation. The other half is this: why would Florida trade him?

Old
03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
That's great, and I agree, but that's only half the equation. The other half is this: why would Florida trade him?
Luongo might be too expensive to re-sign?

Old
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

For the umpteenth time, the Rangers are not going to give away Montoya for less than equal value just because they have Lundqvist.

Old
03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Luongo might be too expensive to re-sign?
That's why Florida would look for a goalie, but why would they trade Horton? If your team had a 20-year-old power forward who has already proven he's a scorer at the NHL level, wouldn't you consider him untouchable?

Old
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
For the umpteenth time, the Rangers are not going to give away Montoya for less than equal value just because they have Lundqvist.
At the same time, Montoya has less value that most here think.

Old
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
That's why Florida would look for a goalie, but why would they trade Horton? If your team had a 20-year-old power forward who has already proven he's a scorer at the NHL level, wouldn't you consider him untouchable?
Oh no, I didn't say that Florida would necessarily give up Horton for Al. I merely picked Florida because they would be looking for a goalie and if they would be interested in Monty, I would ask for Horton or Weiss with a 1st rounder. That's all, dude. If they'd want Monty badly enough, I would not take less than what I've described above.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

No, period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
Now that the Rangers have Swedish Stud Henrik Lundqvist in Goal. Would The Rangers be willing to part with Young Mr. Montoya.

Something like

To NYR: Torres, Markkanen, +

To EDM: Montoya

Just a thought.

Feel free to counter, but Hemsky, Schremp and Stoll are untouchable. (Pronger Too, but that contract is a little pricey anyway)

Again Just a thought
if we trade Montoya we would want something like a Jordy Staal in return.

Old
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
hahah sure you leep believing that... hahahahah

seriously, do you watch hockey? or did you just become a rangers fans this year after they started winning?
Calm down, dude. Interest doesn't translate into value or skill. We lack interest in some of those players because of salary, depth in those positions and age. We have a young core so while guys like Pronger are an upgrade, they have reached their potential and will degrade before the team peaks. PLUS, Montoya alone wouldn't net some of those guys, so that also turns some of us away. Do yourself a favor so you don't go grey too early: Don't hop around on other forums if you can't handle negative talk. Take off the Blue and Orange glasses and see the world from a less biased view. Not all Oilers are All-stars.

Old
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
Now that the Rangers have Swedish Stud Henrik Lundqvist in Goal. Would The Rangers be willing to part with Young Mr. Montoya.

Something like

To NYR: Torres, Markkanen, +

To EDM: Montoya

Just a thought.

Feel free to counter, but Hemsky, Schremp and Stoll are untouchable. (Pronger Too, but that contract is a little pricey anyway)

Again Just a thought
I would only do Stoll...

if for some reason he does get traded...it's not going to be this offseason. I forsee a Beezer/Richter scenario for a bit. And Weekes is not either one. I'd keep Montoya and throw weekes in the garbage.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:25 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
if we trade Montoya we would want something like a Jordy Staal in return.
I'd want something more than Staal. I mean, he's been called the best goalie playing outside the NHL. You give up that for just Jordan Staal? I agree that Jordan is a good place to start but getting a high 1st rounder doesn't guarantee us getting him anyways. Besides, i'm voting for Immonen next year between Skyora and Straka or whatever our 2nd line is.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
I'd want something more than Staal. I mean, he's been called the best goalie playing outside the NHL. You give up that for just Jordan Staal? I agree that Jordan is a good place to start but getting a high 1st rounder doesn't guarantee us getting him anyways. Besides, i'm voting for Immonen next year between Skyora and Straka or whatever our 2nd line is.
What you want as Ranger fans, if Montoya is going to be dealt, is for a couple of teams - say, FLA, CHI and CBJ - to all have interest in him. If all three teams are willing to meet the opening plus of their top ten pick, it then becomes the Rangers' advantage to see how a team, (like Florida) makes up for having a lower pick than the others. Whta does CBJ do to compensate for having, say the 5th pick, when CHI has the 3rd pick?

Old
03-28-2006, 05:29 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mailman
montoya for schremp sounds about fair
I agree

Old
03-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Half the people here wouldn't give up Montoya for a shot at Staal, there's no way they give him up for Torres, who I like, but just isn't really what we need right now.
I am one of them. The reason for it though is that Montoya's value is not really all that high right now. There is a possibility that it will be allot higher 2-3 years down the road.

If Montoya can establish himself in the NHL, playing against weaker teams as a backup and post good numbers, his tradevalue could become really high. So high that he alone might fetch a Stoll type of player.

Old
03-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Entrancemperium

The problem is that he won't really have a chance toestablish himself with Lundqvist in New york

Old
03-28-2006, 08:05 AM
nyr7andcounting

I don't see the problem with trading Montoya this offseason. If we believe Lundqvist can be a great starter for the next decade than we might as well trade Montoya while his value is highest, because he's going to be traded sooner or later anyway.

But Torres, Markkanen and a prospect isn't enough at all. If we put Montoya on the block this summer there would be 10 teams who'd offer more. I do like Torres, but add to him another solid player or prospect. We don't need Markkanen and we don't need more average prospects.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:28 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

So JOrtmeyer41 has changed his identity and moved to the Edmonton board? Nice try Jimmy, not even close.

Seriously though, this does speak to the market that may be emerging for Montoya. Definitely worth watching over the nexst few months. The advantage of bring in that missing stud center we all need and want and doing it now is that they would get to grow together with all of the other young players in the organization. Seems like lots of team need a goaltender of the future. Remember, all you need is one trading partner to make a big deal.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:05 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

I'm an Oilers/Rangers fan and can say with confidence that teh original proposal is not fair to the Rags at all. Having said that, I don't agree that Montoya is the best Goalie outside the NHL yet and that he still has a ways to go before becoming on par the level of an elite NHL goalie.

Closed Thread