HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ana/pit

Old
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post

Point - If GMs are willing to sign Staal to a 6.5-7mil per year extension, he is viewed as a player of that caliber. Kane, Toews, Marleau are in this price range. So think of what it would take to acquire one of these guys, and that is basically Staal's trade value in those GMs eyes as well.
That's incredibly flawed logic. Staal being paid in the same range as Toews and Kane does not mean he is viewed as a player of that calibre and it certainly doesn't mean whoever pays him that values him as much as Toews and Kane.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
I think you are missing the point. For intents and purposes of this type of thread, we are gauging market value at the time of a trade or UFA signing....not if the player lives up to that contract.

Point - If GMs are willing to sign Staal to a 6.5-7mil per year extension, he is viewed as a player of that caliber. Kane, Toews, Marleau are in this price range. So think of what it would take to acquire one of these guys, and that is basically Staal's trade value in those GMs eyes as well.
So Burke felt that Grabovski was equally as good a talent as Getzlaf and Perry?

Flawed flawed flawed logic. All the UFA salary is related to is the need of a team for a player at that position, their available cap space, and the paucity of players at that position in the free agent crop.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's incredibly flawed logic. Staal being paid in the same range as Toews and Kane does not mean he is viewed as a player of that calibre and it certainly doesn't mean whoever pays him that values him as much as Toews and Kane.
OK Please tell me how a GM thinks to himself "I feel player X is about equal in talent and value on the ice as these guys making 4 mil a year, but I'm gonna pay him 7mil"????

Any GM who is willing to pay a guy 7mil per year looks at the players making roughly that and thinks he is valued right there in that group, or is close and should get there, and is willing to gamble they will get there. Does it work out that they get the value right all of the time, No, of course not. We agree that there have been contracts like Redden's, where he didn't live up to it. However, if your willing to pay that much to a guy, chances are your going to be willing to pay a hefty price in a trade to guarantee that you get him.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:38 AM
master4071

As a Ducks fan I'm really interesting in Zbynek Michalek...is it truth that he wants an environment change?

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4071 View Post
As a Ducks fan I'm really interesting in Zbynek Michalek...is it truth that he wants an environment change?
That's the rumor in Pittsburgh but the source is Mark Madden and he's not very reliable.

Michalek was a whipping boy last season. He probably has never experienced that kind of negativity directed at him before. Maybe he got his feeling hurt and wants traded. I'd hope he's mentally tougher than that though. I personally wouldn't trade him either. I think it's just a matter of using him better and finding him a different partner than Martin or Orpik. Despres or Niskanen are probably better fits along side him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote