HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

East Game 3 or Champions League Final

Old
05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Rocket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
The real question is, who watched horse racing!
A lot of people still watch horse racing (although the numbers are misleading given how few games/events the sport has per year) but their numbers are down significantly from 20-30 years ago. I can't imagine their demo numbers to be any good, especially for future growth.

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
A "hot streak" that lasts two months isn't a hot streak. It's just being the best team out of a group of other very good teams.
I disagree. It only shows they're the best team over the period of two months, but not over the whole season.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
So what were the ratings for these two games in North America?
BTW, since this question was never answered:

The two games were a ratings tie.

Champions League Final got a 1.3 on Fox, and Rangers-Devils ECF Game 3 got a 1.3 on NBC.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
A sport where the best team over the course of the season gets the trophy, not the team with a hot streak in May-June.

If Bayern won, I would have bashed them as well. Okay, they wouldn't have been the worst team in ages to win the trophy, only the worst team since Milan 2007.
BTW, if Chelsea won in 07-08 (or hypothetically at any time from 2004 to 2007) I'd have done nothing but applaud them. They were a great team back then, but for them to win the Champions League now is nothing but an accident of history.
Bayern is a top 5 club in the world, I don't know how you could say otherwise. Sure they didn't win their league, but only because they can't match Dortmund's style. I mean Bayern-Madrid was 2 close games, and really could have went either way. It was nothing like Chelsea-Barca, where Barca dominated play.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The North American TV audience for the Champions League final will probably be higher than for the hockey game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I assure you more people in the US and Canada will be watching the Champions League Final on Saturday than Game 3 of the Stanley Cup ECF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
subtract the probably, I have no doubt that it'll be bigger then the Game 3 audience. The question is just at what kind of multiple.

I know I'll be watching the Champions League.

Talk about a total scheduling fail by the NHL.
Looks like you were all wrong, as I expected.

Champions League Final = 1.3
ECF Game 3 = 1.3

Old
05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Rocket

Quote:
Looks like you were all wrong, as I expected.

Champions League Final = 1.3
ECF Game 3 = 1.3
The soccer game actually got 2 mil viewers vs. around 1.3 mil (I think, someone correct me if wrong) for the Rangers-Devils.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...d-ever/135730/

Edit: I forgot to add Fox Deportes probably got between 400k and 500k (they usually get that type of number for big simulcast soccer games). So that's close to two and half million viewers, better than I expected given the match-up.

Last edited by Rocket: 05-25-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old
05-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

I don't watch soccer.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
The soccer game actually got 2 mil viewers vs. around 1.3 mil (I think, someone correct me if wrong) for the Rangers-Devils.

Edit: I forgot to add Fox Deportes probably got between 400k and 500k (they usually get that type of number for big simulcast soccer games). So that's close to two and half million viewers, better than I expected given the match-up.
Yeah, well the hockey number doesn't include the millions of people in northern border cities (such as Buffalo and Detroit) who chose to watch the game on CBC. Those viewers aren't counted, so the actual number of hockey viewers is significantly higher.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Yeah, well the hockey number doesn't include the millions of people in northern border cities (such as Buffalo and Detroit) who chose to watch the game on CBC. Those viewers aren't counted, so the actual number of hockey viewers is significantly higher.
I'd love to see any actual evidence supporting that claim. The number you are looking for is probably more like "tens of thousands".

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:07 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
BTW, since this question was never answered:

The two games were a ratings tie.

Champions League Final got a 1.3 on Fox, and Rangers-Devils ECF Game 3 got a 1.3 on NBC.
Americans are weird... how many watch the super bowl in the states? 100 mil??

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:23 AM
unknown33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
This. Soccer is a real snooze fest.
Did you watch the CL Final? It was more exicting than the majority of playoff games this year.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Does that include Canada (which is a very important part of the NHL's ratings)?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:49 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
A sport where the best team over the course of the season gets the trophy, not the team with a hot streak in May-June.

If Bayern won, I would have bashed them as well. Okay, they wouldn't have been the worst team in ages to win the trophy, only the worst team since Milan 2007.
BTW, if Chelsea won in 07-08 (or hypothetically at any time from 2004 to 2007) I'd have done nothing but applaud them. They were a great team back then, but for them to win the Champions League now is nothing but an accident of history.
Nobody cares about a fan's perceptions of best or worst. The name on the trophy says it all. The end.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgotOSHIED View Post
Will be watching Game 3. Would rather do literally anything else than watch a soccer game.
100% agree, I tried to watch and play it but it's just the most boring game to play in the world. I would rather watch any other sport or play any other sport then soccer, hell I'd even eat my own shoe before I watch a game of soccer!

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Americans are weird... how many watch the super bowl in the states? 100 mil??
Usually around that number. Football is the #1 sport here though, AINEC. Whereas soccer is a #4-5 sport here. I personally was never into soccer until the year before the world cup, ever since then I have gotten more and more into the sport (Finally having fox sports soccer channel helps a lot since I can now watch on a regular basis). I am one of the very few American born people in my area that really enjoys soccer though.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
He's comparing ratings in the US.

"Does that include Europe (which is a very important part of the UCL's ratings)?" See what I did there?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
LSnow

Because i like chess matches, defensive strategies, where every scoring chance is nail biting, and not fan of sports where final score can be 2-1 or even 3-2.. So i watched hockey..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
No. But I don't think Canada's number for the hockey game was much higher than the CL final, with Canadian teams long eliminated from the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
He's comparing ratings in the US.

"Does that include Europe (which is a very important part of the UCL's ratings)?" See what I did there?
Well, some people were predicting the soccer game would have more viewers than the Rangers-Devils game in North America. If the question was asked in that context I wouldn't bring European viewership into it. Mexican TV ratings is a fair game though, and they drew over a million at least for the UCL game.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:05 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
A sport where the best team of the season actually wins a trophy?
In the NHL that's called the Presidents trophy...
Would anyone here want the NHL to have no playoffs and award the cup to the regular season champ?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:12 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Would anyone here want the NHL to have no playoffs?
I suggest we make a poll thread with this question.

I suspect it would be the most lopsided poll in HF Boards history.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Oobz

Quote:
Would anyone here want the NHL to have no playoffs and award the cup to the regular season champ?
No never! Teams play much harder in the playoffs, you have to win when the pressure is on, not coast into the 82nd game of the season.

Also, giving it to the team with the best regular season record is so anti-climatic and lame. Besides if the NHL started doing that it would effectively kill a lot of interest in the sport.

Oobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Rocket

Quote:
Not me. Especially because hockey doesn't have a Champions league which whets the soccer fan's playoff appetite. Top 2 teams in EPL at the end of the regular season automatically clinch spots in Euro Champions league and 2 more get to play off for a 3rd and 4th spot. More teams (usually the 5th and 6th place finishers) qualify for the Europa league. They have Relegation where 5-6 bottom teams are fighting hard to stay in the league and play with playoff intensity, at least in the last few games. They also have a knockout playoff-like FA cup tournament although that's unrelated to the league play. If soccer had no playoffs AND no champions league, Europa league, FA Cups or relegation the seasons would be very boring, IMO.

Old
05-26-2012, 02:04 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Where did I say i don't like playoffs? I love 'em in hockey. But they don't work in soccer (I don't count one or two game series playoffs).
What I meant with my sentence is that where some people think that a league without playoffs is boring, it's actually a MUCH better way of showing what team is the best. You don't play 82 exhibition games from October to April where you only need to place better than half of the league teams, and then just peak your performance in the playoffs. You have to play well constantly, and that's what sports leagues are about in my oppinion.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
I suggest we make a poll thread with this question.

I suspect it would be the most lopsided poll in HF Boards history.
Imagine the Stanley Cup on the last day of the season being decided by a shootout

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote