HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamal Mayers re-signed to 1 yr extension

Old
05-26-2012, 01:23 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Like having him back especially at that price. A little concerned the Hawks will be bringing back a very similar team.

Emery, Car Bomb and Mayers. I hope Bowman is loading up on these cheap contracts to make a decent splash somewhere. Mayers has a little more left in the tank.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:33 AM
WarriorofTime

Sharp (5.9) Toews (6.3) Kane (6.3)
Stalberg (0.875) Bolland (3.375) Hossa (5.275)
Bickell (0.542) Kruger (0.9) Frolik (2.333)
Carcillo (0.825) Mayers (0.6) Shaw (0.565)
Hayes (0.875)

Keith (5.538) Seabrook (5.8)
Hjalmarsson (3.5) ____
Leddy (1.117) Montador (2.75)
Olsen (0.87)

Crawford (2.667)
Emery (0.6)

Cap Space: $6.24 million
So let's go out and get a 6.2 million dollar defenseman. Move some money around (Frolik) and make a big play for Suter. If that doesn't work out sign a 4.5 million dollar D Man and try to upgrade Goaltending.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:37 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Sharp (5.9) Toews (6.3) Kane (6.3)
Stalberg (0.875) Bolland (3.375) Hossa (5.275)
Bickell (0.542) Kruger (0.9) Frolik (2.333)
Carcillo (0.825) Mayers (0.6) Shaw (0.565)
Hayes (0.875)

Keith (5.538) Seabrook (5.8)
Hjalmarsson (3.5) ____
Leddy (1.117) Montador (2.75)
Olsen (0.87)

Crawford (2.667)
Emery (0.6)

Cap Space: $6.24 million
So let's go out and get a 6.2 million dollar defenseman. Move some money around (Frolik) and make a big play for Suter. If that doesn't work out sign a 4.5 million dollar D Man and try to upgrade Goaltending.
Not enough $$$ for goaltending, Hawks will stand pat there. 2nd line center! DMan.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:38 AM
massivegoonery

Oh yippee, another lump back from last year.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Oh yippee, another lump back from last year.
Mayers was undoubtedly the best signing Bowman had. He was just overused at times and as long as he plays only about 60 games, I'm totally fine with this signing. to StanBow.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:08 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
yeah, lets for one minute assume any of these guys are going to be more then bottom 6 players.....who are you kidding?

these guys are energy guys and are perfect in that role. their growth isnt going to be stunted playing in the NHL, it gets stunted rotting in the minors. look at all the players that spend more then 2-3 years in the AHL.....most simply never come close to their potential, and many more never even make it.

in the next 3-4 years, there is no way Beach, Hayes, Shaw, Danault, etc are top 6 players...no room for them and not their game....so whats your point with them playing in a position they will be playing in 2-3 years?
There's a significant difference between getting third line minutes and fourth line minutes. Jamal Mayers was a great role player for Chicago this year. He's better in that role than Hayes, Danault, Beach and Shaw will be heading into next year.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a guy who'll play 7-10 minutes a night. He's well liked (by all accounts) by his teammates and he's respected in the room. I'd rather have Jamal on the fourth line heading into next year than Hayes or Danault.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Also, just to add.. with all the turnover that's gone on in Chicago the past couple years, why are so many people opposed to keeping well-liked teammates around for more than one season, especially when Carcillo and Mayers were effective in their roles?

The Cup team was great, not just because of their talent, but because of how well they gelled together. I'm not saying this team will have anywhere near that chemistry, but if guys like Carcillo and Mayers are well liked in the room and play their roles effectively, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be brought back. I think that's part of the logic in keeping alot of these guys for more than one season.

Old
05-26-2012, 08:15 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Shaw is questionable, but veteran leaders have a place on any team if they're playing a reduced role. Would prefer to see him rotate on the fourth line wings.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - #2C - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Carcillo - #4C - Mayers
Bollig

With Kruger moved out with Frolik to acquire that second line center.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:38 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Some of the rosters that get posted here detailing remaining cap space after some moves are ludicrous. Mayers is important if for no other reason than good depth- sure we could give the spot to the rooks, but what happens when the injury bug hits, or god forbid we lose a guy to suspension? Mayers was probably the best 4th liner we had last year to boot, he needed to be brought back.

For as much as everyone keeps agreeing that this team underachieved some of you sure seem quick to want us to be even more top heavy with talent. The talent is already here, more than enough of it- why cripple the team financially for even more high end talent?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Shaw is questionable, but veteran leaders have a place on any team if they're playing a reduced role. Would prefer to see him rotate on the fourth line wings.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - #2C - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Carcillo - #4C - Mayers
Bollig

I definitely think somoe guys are getting moved out at the draft. Bowman has resigned a few guys but I don't think he's bringing the same team back next season.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Hawkaholic

Good signing.

I feel a lot better rolling a guy like Mayers out than inexperienced guys like Hayes, Beach, or Bollig. Those guys will get their time if injuries hit.

Mayers excelled in his role, he more than earned another contract.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good signing. He has won more faceoffs than he lost, is a good 4th liner and won't complain much being a healthy scratch. I hope he is #13 next year.

...I really wonder what AD would say if he would have been born ~150 miles in the south and would be american. He would be a perfect fit, great energy guy and should have been re-signed already

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:12 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Beach is a question mark, Jayes hopefully has a much bigger role to play at the NHL level, and Bollig is a decent enough light heavy that can skate.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:18 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - #2C - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Carcillo - #4C - Mayers
Bollig

I like this a lot.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:47 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Glad he was re-signed. Liked what he brought to the table.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - #2C - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Carcillo - #4C - Mayers
Bollig

Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I like this a lot.
I like it, as well. I am just curious what the plans our for the defense. That top-six center will cost around $4 million in cap space.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:40 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
i think this is a great signing.. but he should not play every game

hes a really good player that was 1 of our 3 good offseason signing

this deal won't hurt but he should be a 13th forward.. play 40-50 games

good locker room vet to stick up for his players..

we need guys like him and carcillo... a lot less of brunette, oduya, o'donnell
but if you look at the list of free agents out there, are you going to tell me that we couldnt find 1-2 players of this ilk, around the same salary, and younger then Mayers??

Mayers was toast the second half of the season on. I keep seeing if he plays 60 games that would be okay...I dont think he can handle more then 30-40 to be honest, so I dont really see the need to sign this guy when he looked done like dinner last year...

would you guys rather have Mayers or John Madden again?

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:41 PM
massivegoonery

How long until the Brunette re-signing?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
about 3-4 weeks back I would be laughing...now, I really do see some more chumps being brought in or resigned

Old
05-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Rexy

Kyle Beach is going to look great in the nhl.

I just think he's going to be wearing one of these

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
but if you look at the list of free agents out there, are you going to tell me that we couldnt find 1-2 players of this ilk, around the same salary, and younger then Mayers??

Mayers was toast the second half of the season on. I keep seeing if he plays 60 games that would be okay...I dont think he can handle more then 30-40 to be honest, so I dont really see the need to sign this guy when he looked done like dinner last year...

Mayers is good for about 60 games and will get 0.6 for 1 year. Nothing wrong with this contract. Could be moved like Scott was or waived like Ebbett/Adams was.

Mayers hits a bit, can PK and wins more faceoffs than he loses. Everybody screams to get a guy like this and when we sign him, it's wrong.

Why should we sign a player that doesn't know the team, coach(es) and may cost more than Mayers?
Quote:
really not compareable

need to wait until July 1st to sign Penner

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
H a w k s

Good move don't ask him to play 60+ games @ C. Then again Q will do that anyway and burn him out again.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

This is exactly what people were saying last year after we signed him.. and, like Madden in the Cup year, the drop off in his play in the 2nd half of the season has been exaggerated.

Mayers is a good role player. He brings energy, finishes his checks, sticks up for teammates and is a good lockerrom presense. There is abolutely nothing wrong with signing him and as far as other players out there, I'll take Mayers over any of them at the price. You know what you're getting in Mayers and you know he fit in well with the team.

Old
05-27-2012, 04:55 PM
TwistedWrister90

good signing IMO. based on his role, i thought mayers was one of the more consistent players on the team. always brings energy, toughness, not afraid to stick up for his teammates. knows his role on the fourth line and plays it well. for that kind of money, i see nothing wrong with signing him again for one year

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
good signing IMO. based on his role, i thought mayers was one of the more consistent players on the team. always brings energy, toughness, not afraid to stick up for his teammates. knows his role on the fourth line and plays it well. for that kind of money, i see nothing wrong with signing him again for one year
agreed with what you said for the first 30 games of last season.....but from the all-star break on, what you claim he brings to the table, he really didnt at all. he can play a decent defensive game, but he hardly hits, hardly fights, and he certainly isnt going to contribute much offensively which he didnt do much of from the all-star break on.

teams that win in the playoffs need fourth line guys who contribute, the Devils and the Kings are prime examples of this as both teams have won because of their depth and how they helped out offensively. I do not see Mayers helping us out much at all this coming season.