HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Girardi's Brain Dead Play in OT, COST US THE GAME!

Old
05-26-2012, 01:17 AM
FOD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
So while Staal was breakdancing on the goal line, Girardi was supposed to man the left and right side of the net?
Staal wasn't on the ice and Henrique was Girardi's man. Can't protect the net from behind it.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Block More Shots

Yes, let's blame the guy that was an absolute rock for us. Let's also blame Henrik who stole many games for us up to this point.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. They put up 4 lackluster performances in Games 1-4; they were fortunate enough to take 2 of them. We get off to terrible starts once again in Games 5 and 6, but with the heart and determination of this team, gave us chances to win both. The moral of the story? Come out ready to play, come out strong.

We beat Ottawa and Washington because we were able to score some goals here and there, rely on Henrik, and basically outwork them for a majority of the series. We didn't do much of anything this series, outside of battling our way back into games and hanging around while NJ skated all over us.

I blame the team for not dictating the play on most nights. If the Rangers outworked them a majority of the series and were clearly the better team, then maybe I'd say losing in 6 is terrible. They needed to be better as a team in order to win, and they just didn't do that. The sad part is that as average as we played, we still had a chance to bring it to a Game 7.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:36 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Just from a hockey x's and o's standpoint - I thought it was McDonagh, who was on the ice in front of Henrik that sort of caused the issue. I understand live by the sword, die by the sword when it comes to blocking shots, but he was down in front of the net for way too long. He could have cleared house and he definitely could have prevented the second rebound change that ended up squeaking through the legs of Lunq. It's always said to get up quickly after blocking a shot or else it's a 1-0 essentially.

Also, I know they tried to stretch the play out, but they sent two guys to both ends of the blue line on the stretch pass that caused the original turnover. I don't get that play as it would have had zero puck support even if the pass was hit correctly.

I'm just trying to look at it from an x's and o's play. I don't see it being Dan's fault. That guy is one hell of a player and put his life on the line all playoff season long to block shots and make big time plays. Guy elevated to the top tier of defenders I would want on my team w/ that style and effort.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:37 AM
skymachine

Girardi was a warrior thru out the playoffs.. No need to bash him over this. **** happens.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Just from a hockey x's and o's standpoint - I thought it was McDonagh, who was on the ice in front of Henrik that sort of caused the issue. I understand live by the sword, die by the sword when it comes to blocking shots, but he was down in front of the net for way too long. He could have cleared house and he definitely could have prevented the second rebound change that ended up squeaking through the legs of Lunq. It's always said to get up quickly after blocking a shot or else it's a 1-0 essentially.

Also, I know they tried to stretch the play out, but they sent two guys to both ends of the blue line on the stretch pass that caused the original turnover. I don't get that play as it would have had zero puck support even if the pass was hit correctly.

I'm just trying to look at it from an x's and o's play. I don't see it being Dan's fault. That guy is one hell of a player and put his life on the line all playoff season long to block shots and make big time plays. Guy elevated to the top tier of defenders I would want on my team w/ that style and effort.
Yeah, the stretch pass is one of the worst breakout scheme's Torts has implemented. He got away with it in Pre lockout Tampa with all those offensive weapons. But this Rangers team needed to play a more deliberate transitional game. But Torts is Torts, balls like a bull but also the brains of one as well.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:04 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

From an X's and O's standpoint you are right. Beyond the extended laydown as an RD Henrique is not Girardi's man on that play.

That said if you want to blame either McD or Richards for failing to cover (not that you want to I am speaking hypothetically)...my response is "tomato potato". It was a mad scramble and to be honest NO ONE on the Rangers did a particularly good job at picking up attacking Devils. Thus why it's over.

05-26-2012, 02:28 AM
carlsection404

same old rangers there cursed and never gona win again im sick of the same result losing

carlsection404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:05 AM
ck20

vCash: 50
Girardi's brain dead plays had been killing us all playoffs.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Girardi's brain dead plays had been killing us all playoffs.
I hope this is sarcasm. The guy was a rock in the regular season and playos... last June, hal this board wanted to deal him and he ended up being one o the top 10 d-men in the league. How many times do you see a guy who plays that type o game make the All-Star team? Henrik, Girardi, and Mcdonough were the reasons this team was a #1 seed and went as did.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
sfox7076

Lack of goals killed us, nothing more.

sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:10 AM
eco's bones

Stupid thread.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:26 AM
vbman09

vCash: 100
Sorry giving up 2 early goals last night and 3 the game before put the team in a bad position, It takes so much fight to come back, the team played very hard and putting the blame on One person isn't right, Blame has to go all around. Our offense for not scoring enough. Hank for having a bad game 5, Missing the net on a bunch chances. Players not 100%. You can't blame a warrior, an all star, and one of our top d man for this. Mods Please shut this thread

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:31 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
The game is over, we lost, get over it.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
nah they weren't. we got outplayed but we were the better team.

we choked! yesterday and game 5 we come back to tie the game
only to sit back and lose.

choke job
No. The Rangers were not the better team. If the Rangers were the better team then we would be preparing for a match up with the Kings.

The Devils were the better team. They won four games first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsection404 View Post
same old rangers there cursed and never gona win again im sick of the same result losing
The door is to the right. Use it. You won't be missed.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 07:33 AM
C77

Girardi was the reason the Rangers tied the game and he made that awesome defensive play on Parise to keep him from scoring.

Anyone focusing on him for the Rangers loss is delusional. He was outstanding as usual.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:05 AM
NYR_LAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
From an X's and O's standpoint you are right. Beyond the extended laydown as an RD Henrique is not Girardi's man on that play.

That said if you want to blame either McD or Richards for failing to cover (not that you want to I am speaking hypothetically)...my response is "tomato potato". It was a mad scramble and to be honest NO ONE on the Rangers did a particularly good job at picking up attacking Devils. Thus why it's over.
Girardi will blame himself forever, I am sure.. But HAGELIN should also have read the play and picked the guy up as well when he saw Girardi vacate the spot. ( as long as we're analyzing it to death)

NYR_LAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Next season, a little payback should be in order.

He's partially responsible for this.

You know who I'm talking about....

I'm not trolling, just came in to see reactions....and this is hilarious!!!

To the OP, it surprises me that a Rangers fan would bash Girardi in this series, guy logged a pile of good minutes.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:09 AM
chosen

Devils have players throughout their lineup that can score. The Rangers do not.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Girardi is not the reason we lost this game, or were eliminated from the playoffs, but he is the guy who messed up on the game winner in game 5. He made quite a number of poor decisions throughout the playoffs that led to goals against. He's a really good defensive defenseman, but his reputation may have passed his actual play at some point. I understand the guy plays a lot of minutes, but those minutes aren't all high quality.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:10 AM
OverTheCap

Girardi has been making some brain dead plays for some time now, but the loss isn't on him. He hasn't looked the same since February and he was placed in a role that was beyond his capabilities this year.

However, it is beyond frustrating that Girardi and some other defensemen on this team have some sort of aversion to trying to clear the crease. This is where Sauer was missed. If he's not back next year because of the concussion, the Rangers have to find some sort of replacement for him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
No whistle was the right call. The puck was lose and went between Hank's legs and ended up on Henrique's stick.
It doesn't matter whether it was actually loose or not. Once the ref lost sight of it, which he did, the play should have been blown dead!

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Pugs35

Guys please, we all know the Game winner was clearly Del Zotto's fault.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:18 AM
eco's bones

If people want to blame somebody--blame everybody. You win--you lose as a team.

If Staal didn't get caught flatfooted. If Gaborik had been more of a force. If Hagelin had back checked better. If Kreider would have shot and not passed. If Richards had gone high instead of shot into Brodeur's pads. If Fedotenko hadn't been called for tripping. If Henrik hadn't left a small gap for the puck between his pads. **** happens or it doesn't and it doesn't matter now.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If people want to blame somebody--blame everybody. You win--you lose as a team.

If Staal didn't get caught flatfooted. If Gaborik had been more of a force. If Hagelin had back checked better. If Kreider would have shot and not passed. If Richards had gone high instead of shot into Brodeur's pads. If Fedotenko hadn't been called for tripping. If Henrik hadn't left a small gap for the puck between his pads. **** happens or it doesn't and it doesn't matter now.
This.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not trolling, just came in to see reactions....and this is hilarious!!!
What's so funny about that POS going after Sauer's head? A defensive defenseman that clearly was needed as the playoffs progressed.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Girardi has been making some brain dead plays for some time now, but the loss isn't on him. He hasn't looked the same since February and he was placed in a role that was beyond his capabilities this year.

However, it is beyond frustrating that Girardi and some other defensemen on this team have some sort of aversion to trying to clear the crease. This is where Sauer was missed. If he's not back next year because of the concussion, the Rangers have to find some sort of replacement for him.
thanks! Girardi has been great for this team at times, no one is denying that. He's made horrible decisions in his own zone throughout the playoffs as well.

I wrote this thread in anger, and should have retitled: "Cost us the Game". The Ranger forwards are largely responsible for that, but nevertheless Girardi's decision right there was simply unthinkable for an NHL-level hockey player. It was so devoid basic hockey sense it's unfathomable! It was as if the MSG janitor was on the ice during that play.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote