HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Sign Vokoun, sign Jokinen to 1 year deals

Old
05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
I think giving CC another year wouldn't be that bad, but if bowman has the chance to get a proven starter, he should add that guy.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Crawford and Niemi pretty much played to a deadbeat that year. I never heard anyone claim Crawford outplayed him that pre-season...until several have said this the past several weeks for some reason,

It was thought Niemi was kept on initially because of the game in Finland (remember the Hawks opened in Europe), in which he threw a shutout and solidified his position as Huet's backup. Also the Hawks risked losing Niemi if they sent him down, where Crawford they did not.
people have been saying that since I joined maybe? lol

Crawford was sent down before the Finland game if memory serves me correctly. Neimi was kept because his cap hit was smaller, and because (like you said) no re entry for Crow.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Jimmy Howard never really played outstanding in the AHL either.
He had SV% of .910, .911, .907, .916 compared to Crawford of .909, .907, .917, .909

So pretty similar. Not to mention them being drafted like 10 picks from each other. Hopefully they follow the same path in the NHL
Crawford Years:
1. .917 SV%
2. .903 SV%

Howard Years:
1. .924 SV%
2. .908 SV%
3. .920 SV%

So hopefully Crawford can get back to his .915-.920 SV% like Howard.

Lets not act like Niemi did so great in the AHL either. He had a .913 SV% in Rockford. Carter Hutton had a better SV% this year.
Howard can move post to post and doesn't let in horrendously soft goals on a consistant basis

If Crawford had Howard's physical abilty then sure we could reasonably be expecting a bounce back year

And Howard at his worst as sophmore never was as bad as Crawford ,, League has figured Crawford out

Lacks post to post mobilty and is horrid facing shots from point gloveside

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Crawford looked better then Niemi in camp/preseason but Niemi wasn't waiver exempt

If Hawks sent him down they could have lost him so they sent down Craw who didn't have to clear waivers

The rest is history

Of course to be fair to Niemi he was still raw in talent with only 1 season in NA at time unlike Craw who has been facing NA shooters for a while

Crawford's upside was always lower then Niemi's

Niemi was a boom or bust type who could have flopped or broke out (He broke out into capable #1)

Crawford was viewed as safe bet to have a role in NHL someday (What that role would be was ? ,, Looks like a guy suited for #2 role)

Old
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Crawford looked better then Niemi in camp/preseason but Niemi wasn't waiver exempt

If Hawks sent him down they could have lost him so they sent down Craw who didn't have to clear waivers

The rest is history

Of course to be fair to Niemi he was still raw in talent with only 1 season in NA at time unlike Craw who has been facing NA shooters for a while

Crawford's upside was always lower then Niemi's

Niemi was a boom or bust type who could have flopped or broke out (He broke out into capable #1)

Crawford was viewed as safe bet to have a role in NHL someday (What that role would be was ? ,, Looks like a guy suited for #2 role)
I guess we will see how Crow plays this season then. I'm betting on a bounce back year.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think Bowman will keep Craw and he will lose us 2-3 games in next years POs with some really bad timed soft goals

Old
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Crawford looked better then Niemi in camp/preseason ...
I don't remember hearing anybody say this when it actually happened.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I don't remember hearing anybody say this when it actually happened.
I remember hearing that they were at least equal in training camp, but Niemi wasn't exempt.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
I guess we will see how Crow plays this season then. I'm betting on a bounce back year.
me too. CC haters need to start realizing how awful the team played in front of him many times throughout the season. turnovers, not clearing the zone, not being physical in front of the net, etc. crawford was bad at times no doubt, but he also showed that he can be a good goalie

crawford and emery are the hawks goalies going into next year. i don't really see the point of proposing trades for a goalie or suggesting signing a goalie. now getting a d-man and a couple forwards is a different story

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:49 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I remember Crawford being slightly better, and I'm talking a very thin enough margin that everyone agreed that to keep Niemi up and not lose Crawford for nothing was the right decision.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ighlight=niemi

I thought we had more of a discussion on it but couldn't find one ,, Looks like #2 going into 2010 wasn't a much talked about issue on HF

Thankfully Crawford did not get the job as I was hoping in 2010

Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Rexy

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ighlight=niemi

I thought we had more of a discussion on it but couldn't find one ,, Looks like #2 going into 2010 wasn't a much talked about issue on HF

Thankfully Crawford did not get the job as I was hoping in 2010
why? We would have won the cup with Crawford in net.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I dig Vokoun. Not so much Jokinen.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
why? We would have won the cup with Crawford in net.
Niemi is better and he has won the big games. Craw never has done that

Old
05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Niemi is better and he has won the big games. Craw never has done that
When has he had the chance to win the "big games"?? There was the playoffs last year where he blew expectations out of the water. And he had a off year this year.

I love Niemi, but people seem to think he was god in the playoffs that year. Other than the San Jose series, he was average, and won the cup by barely outplaying Leighton.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Crawford hasn't won Game 7. Crawford hasn't won Game 6 this year. Those are big games and he wasn't able to win them. He is really not to blame for those 2 games, but he hasn't won a PO Round yet.

Niemi has won a Cup and has won two series with the Sharks. He always had better numbers than Craw. I miss him and hope Bowman brings him back for Craw

Old
05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Crawford hasn't won Game 7. Crawford hasn't won Game 6 this year. Those are big games and he wasn't able to win them. He is really not to blame for those 2 games, but he hasn't won a PO Round yet.

Niemi has won a Cup and has won two series with the Sharks. He always had better numbers than Craw. I miss him and hope Bowman brings him back for Craw
He didn't win game 7 last year, and was the only player on the team that looked like he wanted to. THat game could have been 7-1

but how soon we forget.

Put Niemi on those two Hawks teams, and he doesn't win those series either. Niemi won a cup with us, but he didn't win a cup for us.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Sarava

Quote:
When has he had the chance to win the "big games"?? There was the playoffs last year where he blew expectations out of the water. And he had a off year this year.

I love Niemi, but people seem to think he was god in the playoffs that year. Other than the San Jose series, he was average, and won the cup by barely outplaying Leighton.
This year against Phoenix?

And as you said, San Jose. Niemi gave up one goal from 45 shots in game 1 of that series. If Crawford faces 45 shots, he probably lets in a 6 pack. Then it's a whole nother series.

It's funny...now when you face 30 shots the defense is horrible, blah, blah, blah. When you give up 45 - and most are high quality chances...but your goalie stops most of them...all is fine.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Rexy

Quote:

And as you said, San Jose. Niemi gave up one goal from 45 shots in game 1 of that series. If Crawford faces 45 shots, he probably lets in a 6 pack. Then it's a whole nother series.

It's funny...now when you face 30 shots the defense is horrible, blah, blah, blah. When you give up 45 - and most are high quality chances...but your goalie stops most of them...all is fine.
different D. I'd rather face 45 shots from the perimeter like Mike Smith did, then 22 with odd man rushes and nobody in front covered like Crow did this season.

Not saying that's how it was in San Jose, but that's how it was in Phoenix.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:19 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

When Crawford faced 30+ shots against Vancouver last year, he had a SV% above .930 and a GAA below 2.00.. so, I doubt it.

Niemi gave up rebounds into the slot so regularily when he was here it was almost like he wanted other teams to score.. the difference? The Hawks actually cleared rebounds and protected the house effectively that year.. and they haven't done a very good job since. Whether that's personnel or coaching, it's a fact.

The Niemi of 2010 wasn't much better, if better at all than the Crawford of 2012. Niemi just had the luxury of playing behind an amazing team.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Niemi was and is better than Craw ever will be.
Niemi has always had the better numbers, he has won 6 PO series in 3 years compared to Craw 0 PO series wins. Niemi didn't lose us a series or the Sharks like Craw did this year with 2 horrible soft goals that ended 2 games. I start to question his mental ability. He hasn't been good in the NHL and hasn't been good in the AHL. He is average at best. This is not good enough. Our D is as good as most of the other teams, we just don't have as much puck possession as we used to have.

Old
05-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Niemi was and is better than Craw ever will be.
Niemi has always had the better numbers, he has won 6 PO series in 3 years compared to Craw 0 PO series wins. Niemi didn't lose us a series or the Sharks like Craw did this year with 2 horrible soft goals that ended 2 games. I start to question his mental ability. He hasn't been good in the NHL and hasn't been good in the AHL. He is average at best. This is not good enough. Our D is as good as most of the other teams, we just don't have as much puck possession as we used to have.
he was above average last season, he was great in last seasons playoffs.

and if you want to question his "mental ability" He bounced back in game 5 and 6 after those losses.

It's a best of 7 game series. Even if he single handedly lost us two of the games (which is arguable) that still brings it to a best of five.

Old
05-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

it is not arguable. He lost us 2 games in OT.

Crawford never was above average. He never was a top10 whatever goalie. He never played great. Have you ever seen Hasek? Thomas last year? Brodeur before the lockout? Quick this year? Giggy in 2003 for the Ducks? that was great in the last years. Crawford wasn't great, he was on par with what others bring on a consitent basis

Old
05-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Rexy

Quote:
it is not arguable. He lost us 2 games in OT.

Crawford never was above average. He never was a top10 whatever goalie. He never played great. Have you ever seen Hasek? Thomas last year? Brodeur before the lockout? Quick this year? Giggy in 2003 for the Ducks? that was great in the last years. Crawford wasn't great, he was on par with what others bring on a consitent basis
you must have stopped watching the series last year when Vancouver was up 3-0 then.

Or you're blinded by hate.

Old
05-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Sarava

Quote:
he was above average last season, he was great in last seasons playoffs.

and if you want to question his "mental ability" He bounced back in game 5 and 6 after those losses.

It's a best of 7 game series. Even if he single handedly lost us two of the games (which is arguable) that still brings it to a best of five.
No...

If he blatantly costs us 2 games as you admit he did, then he forces the Hawks to win 4 out 5. Which they were unable to do.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote