HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gordon question...

Old
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
Scott Gordon question...

If Sullivan gets the gig with Calgary after the season is over. Gordon might end up being the replacement for him. How was his Power play coaching during the time he was the HC with the isles?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
If Sullivan gets the gig with Calgary after the season is over. Gordon might end up being the replacement for him. How was his Power play coaching during the time he was the HC with the isles?
terrible under Gordon. But so was the team.

I think the PP has more to do with the talent level. The year they missed Streit and Okposo (2010-11) the PP was not good.

Doug Weight took over the PP in 2011-12 and the Isles had a very good PP. Of course they also had a spectacular John Tavares (compared to the year before - it was a drastic improvement year-over-year), Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo were healthy.

I'm not sure how much influence Gordon will have on the PP specifically. He worked with the Leafs this past season and their PP was horrid, their PK even worse.

Gordon coaches a very aggressive system that seems to not work at the NHL level, at least in the teams he's coached.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
LotteryForLife*

Gordon is a bright mind but a poor coach. He is able to get more out of his bad players, but his relentless forchecking tactics were ridiculous and stunted the development of our young players. I couldn't be happier that he's gone

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:06 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Gordon is a bright mind but a poor coach. He is able to get more out of his bad players, but his relentless forchecking tactics were ridiculous and stunted the development of our young players. I couldn't be happier that he's gone
Can he be Josh Bailey, Andrew MacDonald, and Kyle Okposo's personal coach?

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
The Devils seem to have a really good forechecking system and look where they are.

The team he had just wasn't good enough to actually do anything. If he had a good team to coach people would be lining up to kiss his ass.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
If he had a good team to coach people would be lining up to kiss his ass.
A good coach needs flexibility, which Scott lacks. Gordon spent his time here with square holes, round pegs, and a hammer.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
kmo429

I hated Gordon but its tough to tell, he never had a good hcokey team to work with

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
A good coach needs flexibility, which Scott lacks. Gordon spent his time here with square holes, round pegs, and a hammer.
Exactly.
C'mon, someone wants to sing his praises? He had Witt, Thompson, Jackman, THE WRECKER, Sim all playing a dynamic offensive system where they played just like Tavares, Comeau and Bailey. The same gameplan!

Thank God Betty White wasn't on our team.

Skate hard, drive up ice, give up odd man rushes. Don't blame the system, though.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
I hated Gordon but its tough to tell, he never had a good hcokey team to work with
I hated the roster but its tough to tell, they never had had a good coach to work with

Old
05-27-2012, 02:25 AM
startainfection

the isles were the best forechecking team under gordon by a huge margin and there plus minus and ratios in give away take away was the best in the league, he just didn't know how to adapt when the team was plagued by injuries

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Scott Gorton was worse than Stirling. I don't want to know what anyone saw in him......we'd be great under Scrotum if we had speedy guys who could score and play good defense, correct?

Sure. And we'd be better with that with any coach. Scrotum just can't coach any other type of player but a speedy forechecker who could score.

Glad he's gone, hope he replaces Tortilla in Manhattan.