HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2012, 11:59 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
It appears the difference between us is that you are thoroughly impressed by regular season accomplishments. Where did Gaborik's goal scoring rank during the playoffs? Elevating your game is not a cliche. Lundqvist did it, Girardi and McDonagh did it. Staal did it. Kreider did it. Richards did it. Callahan did it. There wasn't even a single game all playoffs where you could say Gaborik really turned it on and gave that 110% effort like the rest of his teammates. I don't think you'll find a softer player in the league. Even Alex Lazy Semin can take a bump and hold onto the puck. Any sign of contact coming and Gaborik turns his back and lets go of the puck. It's sickening. If he's such an elite player, like you say, then we shouldn't have a problem getting decent value for him this offseason.
Cally and Richie did it? Funny. Cally showed up for two games, three games maybe all playoffs. Richie was huge for one series...coincidentally the same series Gabby scored in, too. NOBODY stepped up when you take all three rounds into account. Sting is completely right.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:05 PM
GloveSave35

These boards are gonna calm down a lot in the coming days. While you are all still here, I want to say thanks for a great year.

Love reading your opinions, seeing your emotions, celebrating with you and comiserating with you. While I didn't always agree with what was said, it certainly was entertaining to read.

Thanks for a great season. Can't wait to do it again next year.. hopefully with an even better outcome.

Let's go Rangers!

Old
05-26-2012, 12:06 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Doan will re-sign in PHX if the team stays there. Western guy. He spends his summers home in Alberta. There are plenty of teams in the west which will pursue him if PHX moves to Quebec.

Parise is going to sign with the team across the street and go up against the Devils 6 times per year and have the old Patrick Division playoff format of 1 VS. 4 and 2 VS. 3? That is how the realignment format is set up. That will be part of the CBA talks. If both sides agree,the new format will begin in 13-14. Mark Messier could have signed with the Caps in 1997 but he didn't want to play the Rangers so many times a season and possibly face them in the playoffs. Washington was closer to his home in Hilton Head but he signed in Vancouver.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
And what if you make that deal and don't get Parise? What an awful trade. You're trading a first line forward, a 2nd/3rd line forward, an established 2nd pair D, and a first for a 1st/2nd line forward and 3 prospects who may never be NHL players. And you have to do this before you know if you have Parise. Bad plan.
Even if they failed to get Parise, Ryan is an upgrade to Gaborik.

Gaborik is un physical, weak, un motivated, not intense, he's not a player you win with.

Ryan is the opposite of Gaborik, other than being able to score.

Younger, much more cap friendly.

Ryan may not be a fit in Anaheim anymore. Speculation but it looks like he doesn't fit there.

Gaborik could slot in with Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne.

Ryan would fit perfectly in Tortorella's Rangers. Big, physical, strong, skilled, not lazy.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Gaborik didn't disappear in the playoffs. The only thing that disappeared were the opportunities for a player like him to score without the help of a well-rounded first line. The first objective for any good team in the playoffs is to eliminate the top goal scoring threats on the opposite side. Without the help of a real first liner who compliments Gaborik (and Richards), there was little hope that Gaborik would be able to be as effective as he is in the regular season.

Elevate his game is an empty cliche used most often in lieu of providing any kind of actual analysis. You can only elevate your game as far as your physical ability lets you. This is a team sport. You can only elevate your game as far as the circumstances around you allow you to.
It seems like all you ever do is blame the linemates for our team's top players as an excuse for their struggles. So you're blaming in the fact Gaborik didn't have a well rouded 1st line to elevate his play? So playing with Richards isn't enough for a "superstar" like himself? Who does need to play with? Crosby and Kovy to be effective? Give me a break. He disappeared, simple as that. A player of his caliber, or that most think he is, should be able to find ways to score. If Gaborik needs everything to go perfect for him to be successful, them im not sure that's the player I want on my team. Now 13 pts in 25 career playoff games as a Ranger.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If the divisions realign...****ing awful.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I was thinking about next season until i remembered there is going to be a lockout.

Its going to be a long summer.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
It's hilarious the excuses Gaborik gets.

CBC did a whole intermission report on his incompetent play in the series.

So many botched passes, laziness, losing of puck battles.

Last game he was open in the slot and Stepan set him up to a tee. He botches that pass.

He is not a playoff hockey player, he doesn't play well in pressure games. I understand, I get nervous as hell too when I play overtime in my ball hockey league!

Old
05-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Last game he was open in the slot and Stepan set him up to a tee. He botches that pass.

He is not a playoff hockey player, he doesn't play well in pressure games. I understand, I get nervous as hell too when I play overtime in my ball hockey league!
Right on! What, does he need to be receiving all his passes from Crosby so that he can hold onto them? Who does he need to receive that cross-crease pass from in order to NOT miss the net high by 5 ft when half of it is empty and he's 10 ft in front of it? Do we have to bring back Wayne Gretzky so that Gabby can receive a pass on the rush and not flub it? What a joke. He'd bury those goals in the regular season. That's for sure. But the only goal against the Devils came off of bouncing off of Fatso's blubber. Real awesome there. Not to mention that most if the time, he didn't even try to win a battle on the boards. Look at him the wrong way, and he loses the puck!

Last edited by Rangers Fail: 05-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old
05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Please. Show me a player who stepped up not named Chris Kreider. Its not disappearing when your entire offense is awful. If we're getting rid of guys for "disappearing" we need a new Captain, too. In fact, we need a new forward group completely.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Please. Show me a player who stepped up not named Chris Kreider. Its not disappearing when your entire offense is awful. If we're getting rid of guys for "disappearing" we need a new Captain, too. In fact, we need a new forward group completely.
Marc Staal. Despite his struggles in game 6 and 5, he completely turned a 180 once the playoffs started. We saw the old Staal in the playoffs. It was great to see.

05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Being the highest paid player on the team, I'd expect some more offense from a one dimensional player.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its not about the goals Gaborik didn't score.

Its about the effort he didn't give.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It seems like all you ever do is blame the linemates for our team's top players as an excuse for their struggles. So you're blaming in the fact Gaborik didn't have a well rouded 1st line to elevate his play? So playing with Richards isn't enough for a "superstar" like himself? Who does need to play with? Crosby and Kovy to be effective? Give me a break. He disappeared, simple as that. A player of his caliber, or that most think he is, should be able to find ways to score. If Gaborik needs everything to go perfect for him to be successful, them im not sure that's the player I want on my team. Now 13 pts in 25 career playoff games as a Ranger.
Its not about disappearing. The entire NHL is configured of different goal scorers. I promise you out of the top 10 goal scorers this past season all have certain characteristics to how they score the majority of their goals..Corey Perry's 37 are tremendously different than Gaboriks 41. So are Matt Moulson's 36 or even Stamkos' 60!

Anyone that watches hockey knows Perry is tipping/deflecting/and banging rebounds towards his total year in and year out.
Moulson very similar.
Stamkos however uses his one timer better than any player in the league and its safe to say his accuracy is 2nd to no one. With that said tho he's not banging rebounds and deflecting the majority of his goals to the back of the net.

With Gaborik its the same thing he has a deadly wrist shot, if he cant get it off or if its continuously blocked then the other team is defending him well. You can't expect a player like Gaborik to play 82 games one way then flip what made him the 3rd best goal scorer this year come April. Will he score deflections and rebounds sure, just like Perry and Molson will snipe a few wristers.

At the end of the day you need diverse scoring. Pick any number of teams that are successful and its not only having a number of scoring options, but a variety of ways in how the team can score. NJ this year has a sniper both from wristers and slapshot in Kovy. Parise deflects and bangs away.

Detroit has skill in Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but has grit and dirty goal scoring area guys in Bertuzzi and Franzen. Even that mess in Washington with Ovechkin and Semin both score in completely different ways and when they dominated a couple years back it was in completely different ways.

How the Rangers solve their scoring there are a lot of different options but they definitely need to add another scorer or two in terms of how they put the puck in the net.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:31 PM
NikC

Quote:

agree totally. Sting talking about his lack of adequate linemates?
Didn't hurt him in the reg. season or when we first aquired him.
I'm not saying that having an additional legitmate first line player wouldn't have had an impact, because it did, in a big way...

However, Gaborik's decisions with the puck on his stick were abominable. Whiffing on shots, shooting wide, choosing low percentage wide angle shots, passing up chances to shoot when in high percentage areas. Why wasn't he skating can someone explain that? He wasn't hurt.

There isn't a player out there that could have improved the above factors in Gaborik's play these playoffs.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He gave effort in the Washington series when he won the 3OT game for us. For all of everybody elses "effort", only Richie and Gabby had at least one monster series these PO's. Everybody else except Kreider (and not counting the defense) did not carry their load.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Jesus christ. You guys are ridiculous. If Callahan had a series like Gabby did against WSH you would all be pointing to that and saying how he wasn't a disappointment in the playoffs.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:33 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
Its not about disappearing. The entire NHL is configured of different goal scorers. I promise you out of the top 10 goal scorers this past season all have certain characteristics to how they score the majority of their goals..Corey Perry's 37 are tremendously different than Gaboriks 41. So are Matt Moulson's 36 or even Stamkos' 60!

Anyone that watches hockey knows Perry is tipping/deflecting/and banging rebounds towards his total year in and year out.
Moulson very similar.
Stamkos however uses his one timer better than any player in the league and its safe to say his accuracy is 2nd to no one. With that said tho he's not banging rebounds and deflecting the majority of his goals to the back of the net.

With Gaborik its the same thing he has a deadly wrist shot, if he cant get it off or if its continuously blocked then the other team is defending him well. You can't expect a player like Gaborik to play 82 games one way then flip what made him the 3rd best goal scorer this year come April. Will he score deflections and rebounds sure, just like Perry and Molson will snipe a few wristers.

At the end of the day you need diverse scoring. Pick any number of teams that are successful and its not only having a number of scoring options, but a variety of ways in how the team can score. NJ this year has a sniper both from wristers and slapshot in Kovy. Parise deflects and bangs away.

Detroit has skill in Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but has grit and dirty goal scoring area guys in Bertuzzi and Franzen. Even that mess in Washington with Ovechkin and Semin both score in completely different ways and when they dominated a couple years back it was in completely different ways.

How the Rangers solve their scoring there are a lot of different options but they definitely need to add another scorer or two in terms of how they put the puck in the net.
very intelligent analysis. well done.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:33 PM
asphyXy

I'd trade Gaborik for Bobby Ryan.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Jesus christ. You guys are ridiculous. If Callahan had a series like Gabby did against WSH you would all be pointing to that and saying how he wasn't a disappointment in the playoffs.
Cally was just as bad as Gaborik. But people are giving him a shorter ride since he hustles. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Cally was just as bad as Gaborik. But people are giving him a shorter ride since he hustles. Not sure why, but it is what it is.
Because we're New Yorkers. We like effort and hustle. Callahan and Gaborik scored like ****, but one of them actually played like they gave a ****. That was Callahan.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Even if they failed to get Parise, Ryan is an upgrade to Gaborik.

Gaborik is un physical, weak, un motivated, not intense, he's not a player you win with.

Ryan is the opposite of Gaborik, other than being able to score.

Younger, much more cap friendly.

Ryan may not be a fit in Anaheim anymore. Speculation but it looks like he doesn't fit there.

Gaborik could slot in with Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne.

Ryan would fit perfectly in Tortorella's Rangers. Big, physical, strong, skilled, not lazy.
I know that Parise has had a 45 goal season but I'd definitely get rid of Gaborik for Ryan before I do so for Parise. I'm very weary of taking a guy like Parise who is more heart than skill. Ryan is much more skilled IMO.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Because we're New Yorkers. We like effort and hustle. Callahan and Gaborik scored like ****, but one of them actually played like they gave a ****. That was Callahan.
Callahan was invisible most of the playoffs. He had 2 goals that weren't flukes or empty nets.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Callahan was invisible most of the playoffs. He had 2 goals that weren't flukes or empty nets.
I said, he didn't score. He and Gaborik both played like ****. But one actually blocked shots, hit hard, and gave a ****. Callahan. He isn't out Captain because he scores goals.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

When Callahan wasn't scoring goals, he was throwing hits and blocking shots.

When Gaborik wasn't scoring goals.............

Closed Thread